Antiscam for the fledgling herblorist

Zandalf

Alas, as of Sep 10, 2007, this guide is obsolete. Read it, and reminisce about the old days of unidentified herbs.

Disclaimer

I didn't intend this guide for moneymaking (though you will make money if you use it). It's just to teach the antiscam technique.

Introduction

My favorite way to make money uses my favorite skill, herblore. My method is to buy unidentified herbs above ranarr (herbs that take lvl 26 or higher to identify), and then make them into potions. These potions will sell for more than their ingrediants, so I make money on the deal.

But how do you buy unidentified herbs above ranarr? If someone tries to sell you some herbs, how do you know they're the right ones? If you go to world two, and start shouting "Buying unids above ranarr!!!" about half of the people who trade you will try to sell you herbs below ranarr. Most of these people aren't scammers; they just don't understand what you're trying to buy.

If you only want certain herbs, the method to do it is "Antiscam." Here's how it works:

Setting Up Your Bank

To get started, you'll need two unidentified herbs of each type, and at least one identified herb of each type. Arrange them in your bank so that each herb comes after its corresponding pile of unidentified herbs. It'll look like this:

antiscam2vh9.png

Notice there are at least two unids in each unid stack. This is important; having only one won't work.

Now you've already figured out what the unids are, and they won't move around in your bank by themselves. So you can count on all of your unids staying put next to their identified counterpart. Here's what everything is:

antiscam1iy7.png

Torstol is optional, but snapdragon isn't. You need two unidentified snapdragons.

• [*:8vaj5zek]Getting unidentified snapdragon can be tricky, but you only need two. Try posting an ad on forums paying way over the normal price.

NEW METHOD: (I just read about this and haven't tried it out yet.) Since unid snapdragon comes only from random events, your best chance of getting one is creating a bunch of herblore-related random events. Go to fairy ring B K Q (I think), and use an axe on a tree there. This automatically summons a tree spirit every time. Use a safe spot to range the tree spirit. It drops a lot of interesting things, one of which is unidentified snapdragon.

[*:8vaj5zek]Unidentified toadflax comes from random events or from the temple trekking minigame (or from other players)

[*:8vaj5zek]Unidentified torstol comes from killing
Salarin the Twisted in the Agility Dungeon (or from other players).

Setting Up Your Inventory

First, withdraw whatever money you're going to use to buy your unids.

Now, set your withdraw mode to "note," then withdraw one note of each of your unids. Try to withdraw them in order, so you know which one is which. (This is the part where you'll be glad you had two of each herb in your bank instead of one. When you withdraw one of each, the other one remains in your bank, holding the place.)

Then, change your withdraw mode from "note" to "item." Now withdraw the rest of your inventory with a non-stackable item like rune essence.

Here's what it looks like, and what each note is:

antiscam3cc8.png

I always include ranarr, since people can sell them to you by mistake, and they're very valuable. I also always include toadflax, since most players only get unidentified toadflax through random events, and people don't realize what it is. If you don't include toadflax, you'll get a lot of failed trades from honest players.

Antiscam in Action

Now go to a crowded world and start saying "Buying unids above ranarr - [your name here]."

If someone tries to sell you a bunch of unids, and they're all above ranarr, everything will work just fine.

If someone tries to sell you a bunch of unids, and any of the stacks is something else (guam, marrentill, tarromin, harralander, rogues purse, sito foil, etc.), the trade will fail after the first trade screen, and you'll get a message saying "You do not have enough room for this trade." Often, the seller will then say something like, "Omg! Get more room, nub!"

Make sure you never spend all the coins in your inventory. You need to save at least one to hold the place (so the slot doesn't get filled by a stack of unid guams).

Remember: most of the time, the person isn't trying to scam you. They have just made an honest mistake. Explain to them that one or more of their stacks is below ranarr. Often, they'll go to the bank and try to ID them again, and come back a few minutes later with a successful trade.

There are 10 types of people in the world:

* Those who understand binary

* Those who don't

- - -

Greatest J Mod Quote Ever / My bug collection / Raise your agility! / What exactly is "Anti-scam"?

nice guide but couldent you sell the identified herbs and make a profit?

I could, but I make more money with pots, and just selling the herbs doesn't give much herblore exp. Plus, I didn't intend this as a moneymaking guide, but as a guide for a herblore tool.

:-k

:mrgreen: :thumbsup:

[hide=...and just in case anyone wants to put this in AOW...]

[size=9][color=red][b]Disclaimer[/b][/color]

I didn't intend this guide for moneymaking (though you will make money if you use it).  It's just to teach the antiscam technique.[/size]

[color=red][size=18][b]Introduction[/b][/size][/color]

My favorite way to make money uses my favorite skill, herblore.  My method is to buy unidentified herbs above ranarr (herbs that take lvl 26 or higher to identify), and then make them into potions.  These potions will sell for more than their ingrediants, so I make money on the deal.

But how do you buy unidentified herbs above ranarr?  If someone tries to sell you some herbs, how do you know they're the right ones?  If you go to world two, and start shouting "Buying unids above ranarr!!!" about half of the people who trade you will try to sell you herbs below ranarr.  Most of these people aren't scammers; they just don't understand what you're trying to buy.

If you only want certain herbs, the method to do it is "Antiscam."  Here's how it works:

[color=red][size=18][b]Setting Up Your Bank[/b][/size][/color]

To get started, you'll need two unidentified herbs of each type, and at least one identified herb of each type.  Arrange them in your bank so that each herb comes after its corresponding pile of unidentified herbs.  It'll look like this:

[img=http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8161/antiscam2vh9.png]

Notice there are at least [b]two[/b] unids in each unid stack.  This is important; having only one won't work.

Now you've already figured out what the unids are, and they won't move around in your bank by themselves.  So you can count on all of your unids staying put next to their identified counterpart.  Here's what everything is:

[img=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/543/antiscam1iy7.png]

Torstol is optional, but snapdragon isn't.  You [b]need[/b] two unidentified snapdragons.

[list][*]Getting unidentified [u]snapdragon[/u] can be tricky, but you only need two.  Try posting an ad on forums paying way over the normal price. 

[color=red]NEW METHOD:[/color] (I just read about this and haven't tried it out yet.)  Since unid snapdragon comes only from random events, your best chance of getting one is creating a bunch of herblore-related random events.  Go to fairy ring B K Q (I think), and use an axe on a tree there.  This automatically summons a tree spirit every time.  Use a safe spot to range the tree spirit.  It drops a lot of interesting things, one of which is unidentified snapdragon.

[*]Unidentified [u]toadflax[/u] comes from random events or from the temple trekking minigame (or from other players)

[*]Unidentified [u]torstol[/u] comes from killing [url=http://www.tip.it/runescape/?rs2monster_id=113]Salarin the Twisted[/url] in the [url=http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=agility_dungeon.htm]Agility Dungeon[/url] (or from other players).[/list]

[color=red][size=18][b]Setting Up Your Inventory[/b][/size][/color]

First, withdraw whatever money you're going to use to buy your unids.

Now, set your withdraw mode to "note," then withdraw one note of each of your unids.  Try to withdraw them in order, so you know which one is which.  [color=green](This is the part where you'll be glad you had two of each herb in your bank instead of one.  When you withdraw one of each, the other one remains in your bank, holding the place.)[/color]

Then, change your withdraw mode from "note" to "item."  Now withdraw the rest of your inventory with a non-stackable item like rune essence.

Here's what it looks like, and what each note is:

[img=http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/6057/antiscam3cc8.png]

I always include ranarr, since people can sell them to you by mistake, and they're very valuable.  I also always include toadflax, since most players only get unidentified toadflax through random events, and people don't realize what it is.  If you don't include toadflax, you'll get a lot of failed trades from honest players.

[color=red][size=18][b]Antiscam in Action[/b][/size][/color]

Now go to a crowded world and start saying "Buying unids above ranarr - [your name here]."

If someone tries to sell you a bunch of unids, and they're all above ranarr, everything will work just fine.

If someone tries to sell you a bunch of unids, and any of the stacks is something else (guam, marrentill, tarromin, harralander, rogues purse, sito foil, etc.), the trade will fail after the first trade screen, and you'll get a message saying "You do not have enough room for this trade."  Often, the seller will then say something like, "Omg! Get more room, nub!"

Make sure you never spend [u]all[/u] the coins in your inventory.  You need to save at least one to hold the place (so the slot doesn't get filled by a stack of unid guams).

[b][color=darkblue]Remember: most of the time, the person isn't trying to scam you.  They have just made an honest mistake.  Explain to them that one or more of their stacks is below ranarr.  Often, they'll go to the bank and try to ID them again, and come back a few minutes later with a successful trade.[/color][/b]

[/hide]

* Those who don't

- - -

Greatest J Mod Quote Ever / My bug collection / Raise your agility! / What exactly is "Anti-scam"?

nice guide, never thought there was a way to stop people selling you low unids, you have helped me greatly :D

ps, because this is mainly about herblore, shouldent it be in "Player-Made Guides: Skills, Mini Games & Quests"?

tanmthiefcape,jimmy6691.gif

ps, because this is mainly about herblore, shouldent it be in "Player-Made Guides: Skills, Mini Games & Quests"?

Yeah, I thought about that. But it's only a helping technique for a skill; it doesn't actually give exp. So I decided it's more of a "tip & other" than a "skill".

Of course, if a mod decides it doesn't belong here, I certainly won't be offended if it gets moved.

* Those who don't

- - -

This is the best guide on the antiscam herblore method. However, you could include tips on obtaining unid toadflax, snapdragon, and torstol. I'm not sure about snapdragon, but i KNOW that you can get unid toadflax and torstol outside of random events. For toadflax, do the temple trekking minigame, and you will get unid tarromin, harralander and toadflax. For Torstol, open the chest in the agility dungeon. As for snapdragon, [i think] you can get it from the herb reward in pest control.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

Good guide. But I think you should add to always leave at least one gp in your inventory while doing this, otherwise a low sack can fill up that spot.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

• 2 weeks later...

im sorry....but i dont get it!

what does above mean? and if your buying a specific herb why not just have one inventory space, with just rune ess and cash???

im a bit confused...but i like your pics, well set out, well put together!

• 3 weeks later...
Great guide. I have tried to explain this to a few people, and some of them (like a few that posted here) will never get it, the rest however, I will send here.

Thanks! :) Keep sendin' 'em.

* Those who don't

- - -

nice good, some good pictures, thanks for the info!

63herb3-1.jpg

Rofl. My chair has a fridge, a cooler, a toilet, a shower, and a barbecue bulit in.

Hey, I may have quite Runescape, but I just bought an XBOX 360 and play way to much COD4 with the Gamertag Lava Mage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It's a good guide.. sadly it's also on the official forums on rs but just without the pics and saying what unid herbs you need

(btw: its posted by a forum mod)

Yeah, I actually had the whole system completely figured out by myself, and was very proud of my accomplishment. And then I found out that a f mod had already given out my little secret just a few months before I figured it out.

But I think enough people don't know about it that a guide is still a good idea. And you've gotta admit: it's a lot easier to understand with pictures.

* Those who don't

- - -