2. Basic Positions ;)

3. Tricks :shock:

4. Pathfinder (Quick and Dirty Overview) :oops:

5. The Great Divide (September 2 2009 Update) [Priority] :ohnoes:

6. Fruitcakes (How Not To Play) :wall:

7. Misc. :twisted:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Introduction

[hide=Welcome!]Hello. In this guide I will assume you already know how to get inside the runecrafting guild, what the wands are for, and that runecrafting robes do give a boost to your levels during the minigame - not to mention they are one of the best sets of free-to-play mage robes. If you have not managed to read the official Runescape GoP guide (http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/the_great_orb_project) on how to get started, then please do so before browsing this work.

The Great Orb Project is a simple game at heart, but for a beginner eager and willing to learn it can be frustrating to play. (Hence why I'm doing this, I'm finally taking pity. Yes, I'm cold. Brrr. :ohnoes: ) In a game against regulars or veterans speed above all else is important. Every second - half-second really - makes the difference from scoring the holy grail of 60+ or the legendary 50+ on air, to pulling your hair out because the team just couldn't reach that grade A score of 40, much less the usual 30. I'm no expert in repelling or defence, so I can only show you how to use the attract wand. Which, in some cases, is much faster than repel.[/hide]

;) Basic Positions

[hide=Where to Stand]iyg1mg.png

Note: Yellow dots are the ideal player positions.

A good deal of the game is knowing where to stand. The centers/middle spots of the altar is key, as shown highlighted in pink below:

23uvng7.png

I am the one in yellow robes standing south. (Note: the two standing west would get the orbs stuck had I not clicked first.) When I have to move around the altar, I will always stand in the middle. If I have to move away from the middle because the orb is too far, I bring the orb in close then decide on which of the four spots it is best to pull the orb inside the altar. Consider the middle spots as the default position of a scorer. Standing in the four compass directions, otherwise known as the cardinal directions, is best for beginners and veterans alike, as the man in the stripy red cape shows below:

33eotih.png[/hide]

:shock: Tricks

[hide=Mouse Reflex Skills]11v6uu1.png

5ocxo8.png

Note: The character is where you are standing. Yellow dots are the ideal player positions. Red dots are orb locations.

Important tips:

[*:2n96rb24]Timing is important.

[*:2n96rb24]Orbs move at least two squares.

[*:2n96rb24]Don't ignore the pulses - the tiny green or yellow dots flying into your wand, as they can help you time when an orb is in position.

[*:2n96rb24]Click the ground or the altar itself to keep from moving or to stop moving!

[*:2n96rb24]Always keep your distance from an orb. (If I ever find you hugging an orb I will take away your blanky and your teddy bear. :shame: )

i. The Basic Tricks

Below are two basic tricks that aren't that difficult to master. These, along with the next sub-section of intermediate tricks, are universal. This just means you can do it from any side of the altar if an obstacle isn't blocking the way. IMPORTANT NOTE: These tricks as of 2nd of September, 2009, are now dependent on your direction. That basically means if it works while you're standing north it might not work while you're standing south. Regulars, please see the Great Divide section.

The Cornershot:

2ai3e61.png

Step 1: Stand behind a rock.

14b6h5e.png

Step 2: Click on the orb and pull until it is inside the altar. Step back one-two squares, then click again to score.

2n6dftv.png

The Altar Trick or The Pillar Shot:

qx2iaa.png

Here we have what I dubbed the altar-trick involving an orb behind the pillar. Note that this only works when the orb is one square away from or is right behind the pillar. At two or more squares away, it will be you who will be pulled from your position.

Step 1: Stand at a middle area of the altar.

2el5wlg.png

Step 2: Click on the orb once then click on the altar, fast. (Note: the orb here is one square away from behind the pillar.) This prevents you from moving away from the middle. Others choose to click on the ground beneath them, but in a crowded game this may be a hindrance i.e. clicking on an imp, a dropped rune, or the wrong orb. When done correctly the orb will move between the pillars and a final click on the orb will score it.

2gt16cl.png

Step 3: Click the orb again to score.

1pa5a1.jpg

ii. Intermediate Tricks

The Orb Steal:

6dwzg6.png

The following trick is handy for saving time moving around to the other side of the altar. It's simply an intermediate form of the altar trick. (I call this the Orb Steal because I've stolen from several partners this way when they were too slow to score it the normal way. Feel free to use your own names, these aren't anything but my own names for them.)

The orb is three squares away from the big pillar. (Or four squares away if you look at this that way, including the square the orb is floating on.) Click and pull. If you find yourself moving, click the altar or the ground to stay where you are.

6562yh.png

50p0kj.png

When the orb has moved behind the pillar, simply do the altar trick.

The next tricks are all off-the-center, meaning the basic position of standing in the center zones of the altar are ignored at the start. These are more difficult to do due to its combination with the basic tricks and judging the distance.

The Longshot:

2wf2wrl.png

The orb is four squares away from the little rock. Stand back from the center at this angle.

9jejbm.png

sf80pc.png

The orb may pull you towards it. Either allow it to do so, or move to the center of the altar when you find yourself moving, where you can do the altar trick and thus score.

Orb-to-the-Wall Shot:

29w1hzo.png

The orb is two squares away from the big pillar. (Or three squares, including the square the orb is on.) Stand off-center here:

ofovx0.png

111155y.png

Pull the orb until it is behind the pillar, then move back to the center and score using the altar trick.

There are other tricks, and like the tricks mentioned above they all depend knowing where to stand and so can only be gained through experience. Each altar is different, and each one has certain spots where orbs are easier to pull. And while these tricks are all neat and handy, do remember that the Great Orb Project is a team game. One individual can make all the difference, but teams should not allow themselves to depend on the work of that person alone.[/hide]

:oops: Pathfinder (Quick and Dirty Overview)

[hide=Positions]The following is a bare-bones summary of everything so far.

Red dots are orb locations.

Yellow dots are the basic positions.

My character is the starting player position to do the trick. In other words, you should be where you see the character/player avatar standing. (With the exception of the first Basic Positions screenshot outlining the ideal player positions.)

I added the compass to give readers a sense of direction.

Note: to stall moving or being dragged to the orb, you must click the ground on where you're standing or the altar.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These tricks as of 2nd of September, 2009, are now dependent on your direction. That basically means if it works while you're standing north it might not work while you're standing south. Regulars, please see the Great Divide section.

The Basic Positions:

iyg1mg.png

11v6uu1.png

5ocxo8.png

Basic Tricks:

2ai3e61.png

qx2iaa.png

Intermediate Tricks:

im3wn8.png

29w1hzo.png

2wf2wrl.png

6dwzg6.png

b5hfgp.png

2r6dz5k.png

10d5jzc.png

2cenb7o.png

b6ooec.png

2rneuxu.png[/hide]

:ohnoes: The Great Divide (Sept-02-09 Minigame Changes)

[hide=The Magnetic Fields of a GoP Magnet]Prior to the date of the update, which stopped players from being able to throw barriers, the advanced fundamental rule that orbs always move from east to west wasn't really very obvious. With the change, this rule has become extremely important as to why old techniques don't work for one side of the altar. The orb stubbornly refuses to move from west to east using the old techniques.

This is all because of what I'm going to call the Great Divide. The Great Divide is a line that runs right down the middle of the north and south arches. (It resembles the two halves of a human brain, or the magnetic field lines of a bar magnet. Yes it's weiiiird.) This line separates the new ways and the old ways. Orb spawns to the west require new techniques. The east spawns require the old techniques. Basically any orb west of the dividing line involve new ways. This is why, if you stood south, you have to do the new techniques to get western spawns, but are forced to do the old ways when spawns are eastern.

ibx6w5.png

Any orbs in the bluish area requires new techniques. Orbs to the east in the sepia-toned area require the old techniques. I will attempt to show below the new techniques for getting west-spawned orbs.

White dot is where you stand.

Yellow dots are the key positions from previous lessons.

Red dots are the locations of orb spawns.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You only need to click once to score these orbs. You do not need to click the ground, click the altar, or break your control from the orb at all. Just click the orb once and let it do the rest.

2vxevf4.png

The new techniques have the advantage of not requiring to orb-altar-orb, as many veteran players are used to.

For an alternate and a more in-depth guide on the basics of why the orbs behave this way, please see this guide by Andy: http://forum.tip.it/topic/248793-great-orb-project-new-angles/

Coming soon: at least three (four?) diagonal positions for getting orbs near the portal and the trick to yanking out the orb behind the pillar. This can mirror the northwestern spawns.[/hide]

:wall: Fruitcakes (How Not To Play)

[hide=Failure]Below is a small collection of screenshots on the delicate yet malodorous matter of failure.

Yellow orb will be stuck. The fruitcake in the green barrier is yet another example.

2cps0ax.png

Yellow orb stuck again at south area. The one west will make it in faster, but the player is taking too long to do it.

oqlh02.png

Orb hugging behind pillar. The lone green orb nearby could be attracted faster if the player on it pulled from inside the altar instead of standing beside that rock.

24o10g7.png

The classic case of a piling problem.

345k754.png

Dear children, please don't do this ingame:

263dgxw.png

An epic case of a piling problem on green!

eu4vtx.jpg

:lol: One can hope that they improve. :lol:[/hide]

:twisted: Misc.

[hide=You'll Never Take Me Alive!]i. Terms

Regular - a player who comes to the guild often.

Veteran - experienced and skilled in at least one aspect of the minigame.

Professional - can defend and attract orbs extremely well.

Saboteur - a "sabber" is someone who deliberately makes their team lose.

Crasher - a player who may or may not be experienced that raids 50-50 games just for the sake of it.

Break! - an order to destroy your wand to leave the game.

Glitch/glitching - to destroy your wand at the last second without getting a penalty, this can be considered illegal by Jagex. During crowded hours this also gives a high chance of getting the invisible barrier glitch, where barriers from a previous forfeited game are in the altar and can't be broken since they're invisible.

Co-ordination - teamwork at it's finest, "co-ord" is positioning yourself in such a way that you complement your partner or team to score orbs faster, i.e. east-west positions.

Hugging/Holding - making an orb "stuck" due to it being in front of the attracting player's face, or "stuck" because the player is on the wrong spot to score it.

Taps - another term used for the pulse emitted from the orb to the wand. An advanced reflex skill.

Solo - to play alone, or to act as though one were playing alone.

1 vs 1 - a duel between two guild players. Other variations of this such as 2 vs 2 exist.

A/D - Attack/Defend. One player attacks, another player defends.

Stacking - to pile an entire team with good players who may not necessarily be friends while packing the opposite team with newbies. Also a term for two people standing on one ideal position.

]50/50 - a form of rigging games by halving tokens earned between the teams. 100/0 also falls under this as an advanced form of rigging.

Fruitcake - fumbles, stumbles, and makes a complete mess of things. A polite way of calling someone a gop noob.

ii. Fun Stuff

Shields - From what I've heard, wooden shields inside the guild were started by a player named Garry61, who gave them to his friends as something like badges of honor. It spread from there. Another common one are trainee shields. Over time you will see a variety of different shields in the guild. This may or may not mean the people know each other. I don't recommend playing with a shield since it'll add weight and thus you'll lose run energy faster.

Tactics - Find these out on your own. A common one is the east-west pairing on air altar. You'll hear people saying, "I'll take east!" or "I'll stand west." Some tricks that were once slow to do are much faster with a partner covering your back. Another is feeding, a bucket brigade tactic which can be useful in ferrying cluster spawns of orbs in big altars if done properly.

iii. Rigged Games

These come in two flavors now: 50-50 and 100-0. Both are ways to split tokens between teams, and both are good places for beginners to practice in. These rigged games happen for numerous reasons: greed, inability to play well, bad internet connection, and overcrowding in the main worlds.

There are also games where people deliberately sabotage another team to make their friends win. These games are rare. If you find yourself losing in the main worlds you can usually attribute it to your teammates' inability to play well or yourself. Don't be quick to jump to conclusions that "clans" are out to get you.[/hide]

10h6oev.png

This concludes my guide on using the attract wand. Thank you for reading!

~ Bio Ice / Pinata Sabre ~

Rollcall/Credits:[hide=]*drumroll*

Fated to Die

Rokiolo25

Elstupido111 (Stripy red cape)

Kc Luvs U

0mb0

Chiranp

Astral Glow

Extremebeij4

Killer!@#%!!^ (Sorry, I can't remember the cereal numbers!)

Worm Brain

Sees All1

Setelima

Gota H8 Stds

Aljedo

Sir Kurity

With thanks to Shy Yellow, Sad Hollow, Thor 313, and Xx Skilaxx for essence bombing the air altar since I couldn't make a good grid map.

And to all my friends active or retired whom I haven't mentioned, that have been with me through interesting times in the guild, you know who you are, and you know my problems with having limited space in my friends list. :oops: (Yes, I can hear you all screaming, "GET MEMBERS ALREADY!")

Thank you for playing with or against me![/hide]

Prepare to Die! Path of Exile RPG

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfect, so basic yet so easy. <3: :thumbup:

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I never really thought about the square in each direction of the altar being the best spots. I just run around.

It was helpful. Again, I'll come back and review it before my GOP streak.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

If you didn't get anything out of this guide, some things to remember:

-If you're pulling on an orb, and its not moving, chances are you need to get off. Sometimes you will lag, and you'll think you're standing in the right position, but in reality you're hugging the orb.

-If you're repelling ever at the air altar, you're DOING IT WRONG

-Timing is key. If you click on an orb just once, it will move at least 2 spaces, provided you won't hug it. During that time, you can reposition yourself while its still moving

-Only click on an orb if you're going to help its position towards the altar. Too many times you'll find someone dragging an orb around the outside of the altar, never getting it in. Also, many times people will "nerf" their own orbs, putting it in a place that is difficult to pull in, such as behind a pillar.

Oh, and play 50/50 if you're new. That way you can learn the basics in a non-competitive manner, and no one will scream NOOB at you.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Ah yes, this guide has been very helpful to me. Thumbs up.

One question though, where can I find a proper team? The people I usually get teamed with tend to mess up everything (like, accidentally repelling away my orb while I am trying to attract it). It would be nice if I could do the GOB sometimes with you, so you could turn this fruitcake into a veteran. <3:

One question though, where can I find a proper team? The people I usually get teamed with tend to mess up everything (like, accidentally repelling away my orb while I am trying to attract it). It would be nice if I could do the GOB sometimes with you, so you could turn this fruitcake into a veteran. <3:

-If you're good enough, you won't exactly need a good team, as you can survive without one.

-Look for people following each other or people looking like they know each other. Chances are, the group might like playing with each other(...) and they will be pretty good. Try looking at the west part of the guild in F2P, but I really don't know much about P2P.

-If you're good enough, you won't exactly need a good team, as you can survive without one.

-Look for people following each other or people looking like they know each other. Chances are, the group might like playing with each other(...) and they will be pretty good. Try looking at the west part of the guild in F2P, but I really don't know much about P2P.

Good teams don't advertise. It's not like clan wars in w141. :| So it'll be hard to find a team unless you're invited or form your own.

Going solo can be good for gaining experience in gameplay - just don't expect to get much in the way of tokens. When you're trying desperately to score you sometimes learn things in the heat of it. One way to avoid having others slow you down is to touch all the orbs in your line of sight. This is why I said speed is important. You must, must be quick in spotting orbs and pulling them in. People might consider this hogging or stealing, but it's one way to survive in a random team. Mind, this can be an inconvenience, as some of my teammates point out to me. :oops:

1emk2e.png

"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." Yeats

First off, thank you for NOT making a guide for the obvious. I can't tell you how many times I've seen either repetitive or guides that are so painfully obvious that there is no use for them. These tips and tricks I think will help me a lot! I see now that I was acting-a-fruitcake when I played! I'm new to the minigame but I can't wait to test out this guide. Thanks a lot for this info. :thumbsup:

Basics of repel ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6PHICQkrdE

Advantages of repelling:

-Allows you to keep the orb moving continuously while standing still.

-Keeps your run up high.

-Allows you to "covertly" get in orbs

Oh, and when repelling in diagonally, the orbs will go in on the east/west side, and will slide across the north/south side.

Maybe I'll do more work... who knows.

-Sees

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

:? These are the basics. Well, the altar trick is a bit of what veterans might know, but if beginners would just know the default positions - the four compass directions - and when to move around, it'd reduce the orb piling and hugging.

I'm still not an effective user of the repel or barrier wands, so I really can't mention any tricks for those. :-# But if you're a fast clicker it's possible to attract, adjust your position, then repel an orb straight into the altar all close to within one second's time.

1emk2e.png

Basics of repel ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6PHICQkrdE

Advantages of repelling:

-Allows you to keep the orb moving continuously while standing still.

-Keeps your run up high.

-Allows you to "covertly" get in orbs

Oh, and when repelling in diagonally, the orbs will go in on the east/west side, and will slide across the north/south side.

Maybe I'll do more work... who knows.

-Sees

I noticed that you click your inventory to weild the opposite wand. You may find it easier to right click on the orb and choose the switch wand option. It's faster. :)

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

Hey Pinata,

Great guide, I hope that whoever looks at this guide will learn something useful. Anyways see you in game :) May I have my star back, I know i haven't been on much, but I promise I will be from now on. ;)

-DD82

83/85 Runecrafting

dumbdude82.png

Hey Pinata,

Great guide, I hope that whoever looks at this guide will learn something useful. Anyways see you in game :) May I have my star back, I know i haven't been on much, but I promise I will be from now on. ;)

-DD82

83/85 Runecrafting

:oops: I had to clean the list. I'll keep your name in mind when you become active again. ::'

1emk2e.png

Jerod Mayo is pretty good. The patriots could use another inside linebacker to replace Tedy Bruschi. Arizona-Pittsburgh- Superbowl 43- Feb 1st- NBC.

Pro bowl- Feb 8.

And then the long awaited draft- this year is very strong in offensive tackles.

Top QB- Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez

Top O-line- Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith

Top WR- Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Darius Heyward-Bey

Top RB- Chris "Beanie" Wells, Knowshon Moreno

Top D-line- Brian O"sack"po, Everette Brown, B.j. Raji, Michael Johnson

Top LB- Aaron Curry, Rey Maualuga, James Laurinitas, Brandon [bleep]es, Brian Cushing

Top CB- Malcom Jenkins, Vontae Davis, D.J. Moore

Top S- William Moore

That's atm. Oh, and great guide pin. I would have to agree that it's not really the basics though. I didn't learn those tricks until like after a month in the guild. Maybe I'm just a slow learner.

well I want to make a post as well.

Might want to add that attracting near the altar does little to nothing in mind, earth, and most of water

edit; it is also a good idea to explain why the 4 cardinal directions are the best. If you wanted to be sharp you could take a pic of an altar in low def mode then fill in the squares where you can 1 click an orb, by standing in NEWS. Then do the same as if you were standing off set.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I've been trying to find a guide for this Minigame for quite a while(couple minutes :mrgreen: )

Very Nice Guide, And even though I've never played it, I will certainly use this to help me out... :^o ...Na Just Kidding, Nice Guide =D> :thumbup:

Sig-BlackOps-DjTeryaki.jpg