Tip.It Times - 7th August 2011

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Not Trolling's article was great and well-written, but with so many bot discussions and rants that have taken place on these forums, not to mention plenty of botting articles in the Times, it's gotten quite boring to read over and over.

In response to "My Trip to Jagex":

-"It was then back into the main development office where Vicki showed us how the quality assurance department operates" - This is erroneous. Jagex does not have a quality assurance department.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

-"It was then back into the main development office where Vicki showed us how the quality assurance department operates" - This is erroneous. Jagex does not have a quality assurance department.

Seriously... does anybody find that joke funny anymore?

I'd like to apologize to the Tip.It Editorial Panel for such a late entry - it was put together at the very last minute. Some thoughts were rushed, and I acknowledge that it's a bit repetitive. Kudos to Croce for helping me on the article. Whilst I understand that the topic at hand has been quite frankly 'overdiscussed', I felt I had to have a say about bots myself.

Question of curiousity; What would you guys like to read about? Hoping to piece together another article ready for next month, or perhaps this month

In response to "My Trip, I think it's easy for both sides to dismiss the others when they converse via the interwebz, but when you meet people face to face, again on both sides, you have to act like human beings and get along. Makes me think if anyone wants real answers from Jagex, maybe they should go there in person.

I'm like a hot mess, but without the alcohol.

Question of curiousity; What would you guys like to read about? Hoping to piece together another article ready for next month, or perhaps this month

Maybe about the new additions to old minigames?

Hmmmph, I'm not sure, I'm not into discussing minigames - it gets more repetitive than the article about bots that's just been published. I'll think of something, I think I have a few old ideas that I've left on my harddrive somewhere. >.>

On Topic: I like the article about the trip to JaGex, it wasn't particularly topical but it's insightful in how JaGex operates.

I heard using AHK makes you a moral rapist. But yeah, real nice to compare Wicked to a bot scripter.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

In response to "My Trip to Jagex":

-In the first paragraph, envisioning is spelt incorrently - it doesn't start with an 'i'

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

Read these rules before posting in this thread

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to Racheya by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

Happy posting!

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Hmmmph, I'm not sure, I'm not into discussing minigames - it gets more repetitive than the article about bots that's just been published.

I don't remember the last article on minigames being repetitive so much as there being hot flames about the opinion of the author that wrote it. I thought that was unfortunate. While I don't agree with stormveritas's stance on minigames, I thought the backlash about it was rather unfair and harsh.

Concerning discussion of bots, I think there is an angle that has been missed: that Jagex seems to be softening its stance on Real World Trading, or rather, they have sanctioned items that require a monetary purchase. Those that went to Runefest 2010 received an in-game item-- the Flagstaff of Festivities. Then there is the Ornate Katana obtained by way of the Gamestop cards. I think the latter is more controversial, because although it is identical to an iron 2H sword with iron longsword attack styles, it is still more powerful that what pay-to-play members would normally receive just starting the game with a new account.

I like the article about the trip to JaGex, it wasn't particularly topical but it's insightful in how JaGex operates.

I've always appreciated when Tip.It forum members have shared more direct insight into how Jagex works. (This isn't the first time, of course.)

Hmmmph, I'm not sure, I'm not into discussing minigames - it gets more repetitive than the article about bots that's just been published.

I don't remember the last article on minigames being repetitive so much as there being hot flames about the opinion of the author that wrote it. I thought that was unfortunate. While I don't agree with stormveritas's stance on minigames, I thought the backlash about it was rather unfair and harsh.

Concerning discussion of bots, I think there is an angle that has been missed: that Jagex seems to be softening its stance on Real World Trading, or rather, they have sanctioned items that require a monetary purchase. Those that went to Runefest 2010 received an in-game item-- the Flagstaff of Festivities. Then there is the Ornate Katana obtained by way of the Gamestop cards. I think the latter is more controversial, because although it is identical to an iron 2H sword with iron longsword attack styles, it is still more powerful that what pay-to-play members would normally receive just starting the game with a new account.

I like the article about the trip to JaGex, it wasn't particularly topical but it's insightful in how JaGex operates.

I've always appreciated when Tip.It forum members have shared more direct insight into how Jagex works. (This isn't the first time, of course.)

I think the referred piece has been covered extensively by Racheya - it would be difficult to not simply paraphrase what she said, intentional or not. I don't think JaGex actually encourages Real World Trading, but their stance on it seems to have either changed, or they're being simply being hypocritical.

I have to disagree that Jagex is being hypocritical about real world trading. When they refer to RWT, they mean the sale or trade of in-game items by players to other players (ie: gold farmers) not promotional items given away by Jagex themselves.

While I definitely don't agree with the game card promotional give away, I didn't have a problem with the Flagstaff of Festivities. Giving out a unique item to people who attended RuneFest is far from a promotional item available only at one retailer and only when one type of game card was purchased.

A big part of the problem with the hordes of bots running roughshod over Gielinor, is that the majority of them are there for the specific purpose of RWT; thus, violating several rules (macroing/use of bots, real world trading, advertising websites, spamming the chat box) while at least annoying, and at worst interfering with, the seemingly decreasing minority of us who still actually play the game.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I have to disagree that Jagex is being hypocritical about real world trading. When they refer to RWT, they mean the sale or trade of in-game items by players to other players (ie: gold farmers) not promotional items given away by Jagex themselves.

While I definitely don't agree with the game card promotional give away, I didn't have a problem with the Flagstaff of Festivities. Giving out a unique item to people who attended RuneFest is far from a promotional item available only at one retailer and only when one type of game card was purchased.

A big part of the problem with the hordes of bots running roughshod over Gielinor, is that the majority of them are there for the specific purpose of RWT; thus, violating several rules (macroing/use of bots, real world trading, advertising websites, spamming the chat box) while at least annoying, and at worst interfering with, the seemingly decreasing minority of us who still actually play the game.

You have to realise that stopping gold-farming doesn't prevent the problem - many stakers, not naming names, also participate in real world tradng

Maybe about the new additions to old minigames?

Hmmmph, I'm not sure, I'm not into discussing minigames - it gets more repetitive than the article about bots that's just been published. I'll think of something, I think I have a few old ideas that I've left on my harddrive somewhere. >.>

On Topic: I like the article about the trip to JaGex, it wasn't particularly topical but it's insightful in how JaGex operates.

How about the Clan Citadels? Or is that too soon?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Didn't I just write a whole article on those? :P

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

[You have to realise that stopping gold-farming doesn't prevent the problem - many stakers, not naming names, also participate in real world tradng

I realize that. I'm well aware that bots always have, and always will be, in the game, but the majority of what I've been seeing since the return of free trade have been gold farming bots. Throwaway accounts that grab as many resources as possible to sell on the G.E. before they're banned. RWT though staking is a different matter altogether, its harder to track and prove.

As long as people are willing to pay real dollars for in game items they don't want to work towards, then RWT will continue.

Didn't I just write a whole article on those? :P

And an excellent one at that. :)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Ok, as promised, I will now detail some of my suggestions for you here :)

Please note that none of this actually exists yet in the Citadels

The Altar:

We all know of the ability to switch to and from Lunar spells at the astral altar, to and from Curses at Azzanadra's communication portal, and to and from Ancient Magiks at the pyramid in the desert. But how about the aility to have ONE (yes, just one) of these moved to the Citadel? Right now in Falador's castle is a normal prayer altar to recharge at, but with the Ancient Hymnal and Falador Shield 4 you can turn it into an altar where you can switch to and from Curses.

A similar thing could be made available to us. At one of the higher tiers (5 or higher) a normal prayer altar would be made available to us somewhere in the Citadel or Keep itself. But with similar requirements to change the altar in Falador, so could we have the ability to modify the use of this citadel altar to our needs.

Cooking Facilities:

A simple range would be enough for most clannies to decide to do their cooking in the Citadel, but above the lower tiers, facilities such as a wheat field with a mill next to it could be implemented, or maybe even a field of Cows (including dairy) with a churn next to it. At one of the higher tiers a Brewing Vat to brew beers in just like the ones found in Port Phasmatys and Keldagrim could be added.

Armor Repair:

Not unlike the Armor repair stand in your POH, this one being a little bit more advanced. Not only would you be able to fix Barrows, Torva, Pernix and Virtus armor at Bob's prices, but you'd also be able to repair your Chaotics and Gravite equipment for the same price as at the rewards trader at Daemonheim.

Farming:

For our greenfingered friends, a set of allotment farming patches with a flower patch would not be supplemented by a herb patch (this would create mayhem), but by a specialty patch. Perhaps somewhere that allows you to farm Grapes?

Agility/Hunting minigame:

You've seen those floating islands that are somewhat 'detached' from the main Citadel Island. Add a few more and allow for hopping between them (requiring an Agility level, and providing small bits of Agility xp), all while you are chasing some npc. As long as we're recycling content to make it more useful, how about these NPC's being Charm Sprites that you can catch with your bare hands?

Teleports:

While I believe it is a physical/technical impossibility to teleport from your Citadel to anywhere on the surface, it does seem to work for the portal that brings you back and forth. If it is however possible to change destination locations and/or worlds, I would like to suggest portals to the Gamer's Grotto, Daemonheim and Edgeville :)

Vexillum:

Lastly, if it isn't too much trouble, a permanent Vexillum somewhere close to the Portal (perhaps on the bridge leading towards the rest of the Island), so people can check out your clan in-game regardless whether someone is at home or not, seems a bit of a no-brainer to me ;)

Thats all of them for now, I might add more later on :)

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Oh, I'm aware of the distinction, and the argument as such. It's the principle of the idea. There is a view (which I happen to support) that Jagex may be headed down a slippery slope of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". It may be only a small crack in the dam, but if it fully breaks, can we expect to see a rush of promotional items? Will Jagex follow the path of other game developers and allow players to purchase items for the game, beyond what a basic membership offers?

I can see it being a distinct possibility, more so after Jagex decided to link RS accounts to Facebook ones. (That means that I think they might *cough*stoop to the level of other game developers on Facebook*cough*) Based on my experiences on Facebook, yes, I have to begrudgingly agree with Duke Freedom: a small minority of adult players WILL cough up real money to buy game items: for Farmville, Mafia Wars, Castle Age, what have you. Yep, ladies and gentlemen, I'm quite ashamed to say I know plenty of people in my age group (28-45) will spend gobs of time on games with grinding treadmills and some will drop some cash money to beat the grind. So... will Jagex attempt to tap into that?

What I said on the other article is that Jagex marketing changed VERY critically after Andrew, Paul, and Constant left the board of directors. There were no in-game items tied to real-world money before they left. Now there is. Somewhat paradoxically, I support the Loyalty Rewards Programme, but that is still tied to basic membership, albeit the incentive is for consistent, unlapsed payments.

More disturbing is that there is evidence Jagex is now trying to obfuscate stricter and harsher statements made by Paul and Andrew earlier on RWT-- many players would interpret their statements (especially Andrew's) that they would be loathe to introduce official, sanctioned, purchasable items based on past experiences with other MMOs. Based on my own experiences (see my long story about MUDs on the last article topic), I *would* see it that way. *sigh* I can't find all the quotes right at the moment, but it is connected to arguments concerning the new Banned Account Reinstatement policy. (If that material has been written here, fine, hit me with a virtual frying pan, see if my memory reboots.)

The biggest challenge is figuring out how to stop them without significantly crippling the gameplay of legitimate players.

To add to the suggestion post by Ts_Stormrage

Bank: Would encourage clanmates to do bank skills together. 5-6 skills are bank skills and that just gives everyone that much more a reason to skill with their clanmates. It would be such an easy way to give clan members a place to skill together.

Dungoneering Parties: Might be complicated because the worlds are instanced but it could be implemented if Jagex wanted. Right now this is the biggest reason any DG clan hangs out at Deamonheim and not the citadel.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

@Nifflin:

I mentioned a Bank (as well as a G.E. branch) to be added as one of the very most obvious suggestions for things to put in a Citadel...

However I do like the idea of being able to form Dungeoneering parties and dive into the depths of Daemonheim right there and then in your Citadel, but it might be a technical impossibility...

Perhaps we could combine our ideas, and basicly you'd Dungeoneer on your instanced world ("teleporting" from the Daemonheim portal while being in a party straight to the Base-chamber of a Dungeon)...

Exiting a Dungeon would transfer you to Daemonheim (or Clan Camp if this isn't possible) to whatever world you left for your Citadel in the first place...

PS: thanks for thinking along :) you're the first to properly respond to my article :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!