Tip.It Times - 17th March 2013

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/...he-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I feel the tear the article is talking about. I had a few friends come back to play 07, and the few friends I had in game all went back. I tried playing it, but I just don't really like the idea of starting over. My favorite part of this game is quests. So for 07, all I'd be doing is quests or grinding for levels to play quests I've already done.

The EoC has pros and cons in my opinion, so I'm not 100% for or against it. But I'll be staying in the game that gets updated. And if I ever get a max cape (doubtful) or stop having some amount of fun, I'll probably just be done with MMOs. I'm not starting over.

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

I'm in the exact same situation, Diomedus, although perhaps I'm a bit more biased (and looking forward to ESO :P). I tried to watch an 07 PK vid today and couldn't stop myself from shaking my head in indignation - "THIS is what they wanted?"

I scarcely achieved 20 Thieving on 07 before realizing that I'd done this all before and didn't want to repeat it. It seems that all of my friends are leaving me in the future, for the past.

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

I'm in the exact same situation, Diomedus, although perhaps I'm a bit more biased (and looking forward to ESO :P). I tried to watch an 07 PK vid today and couldn't stop myself from shaking my head in indignation - "THIS is what they wanted?"

I scarcely achieved 20 Thieving on 07 before realizing that I'd done this all before and didn't want to repeat it. It seems that all of my friends are leaving me in the future, for the past.

I just want to confirm - ESO = Elder Scrolls Online?

And, are you planning to quit runescape to play it or are you going to play both or see if you like it or what?

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

Probably the last option. I already play RS sparingly. Hell, I'm probably on these forums more than actual RS. I only mentioned Elder Scrolls Online because of where you said you'd quit MMOs altogether. As far as I'm concerned I'll never quit RS completely unless they jack up the price a lot or I get banned unfairly. It's otherwise always worth the $5 a month I'm not even paying (lol).

2dgucz6.png

I've gone back to the 07 game. To be honest I started playing in 07, and with each new update to the game (starting with Trade Restrictions which caused me to quit for a year) I have found less e

njoyment in the EOC version, I guess also my levels weren't the highest (I had only one 99 and a 97) so I didn't mind starting over.

I have been in a number of discussions on the main forums, in 07 forums the community has been slated for destroying the smaller clans so much, EOC players were going to vote in the polls in order to try and ruin 07.

In the EOC forums there has been statements beging Jagex to make the game easier (could it get any easier?, I heard they have infinite run now, slap in the face to everyone who trained agility)

Everyone has there own viewpoint (and even within the 07 community this is starting to show) I don't hate EOC, I just won't play it and even if 07 fades into oblivion I won't go back to EOC (to me its a game my 6 year old can play, and I'm considerably older than 6 and don't want to be treated like I am 6.

I do hope the community can get back together a little and stop the constant flaming (in one thread requesting the levels needed to vote in the 07 polls to be raised, (in order to stop EOC played skewing the polls, those wanting the raise were compared to Hitler)

There doesn't need to be hate, if your clans suffering for instance (as one person put it) then join another, if the OP is right and EOC isn't suffering then leave the 07 game alone.

Just my thoughts

Librarian 42

For the love of all that is holy, STOP CALLING THE GAME "EOCSCAPE"!!!

It's RuneScape, godsdamnit.

I think both games are deserving of the title "RuneScape", so when referencing the entire community or both games I am calling it that...

However, when adressing one specific game/type of server, I will call it 07scape and EoCscape... Even if it's just to avoid confusion...

I've gone back to the 07 game. To be honest I started playing in 07, and with each new update to the game (starting with Trade Restrictions which caused me to quit for a year) I have found less e

njoyment in the EOC version, I guess also my levels weren't the highest (I had only one 99 and a 97) so I didn't mind starting over.

I have been in a number of discussions on the main forums, in 07 forums the community has been slated for destroying the smaller clans so much, EOC players were going to vote in the polls in order to try and ruin 07.

In the EOC forums there has been statements beging Jagex to make the game easier (could it get any easier?, I heard they have infinite run now, slap in the face to everyone who trained agility)

Everyone has there own viewpoint (and even within the 07 community this is starting to show) I don't hate EOC, I just won't play it and even if 07 fades into oblivion I won't go back to EOC (to me its a game my 6 year old can play, and I'm considerably older than 6 and don't want to be treated like I am 6.

I do hope the community can get back together a little and stop the constant flaming (in one thread requesting the levels needed to vote in the 07 polls to be raised, (in order to stop EOC played skewing the polls, those wanting the raise were compared to Hitler)

There doesn't need to be hate, if your clans suffering for instance (as one person put it) then join another, if the OP is right and EOC isn't suffering then leave the 07 game alone.

Just my thoughts

Librarian 42

Couple of things:

EoC people voting to ruin 07scape (I'm guessing this means voting for things like Godwars Dungeon, and against F2P-based servers) is complete nonsense... If someone is willing to go on 07scape and level 100 levels just in order to be able to vote for the things noone wants, and against the things everyone wants JUST out of spite then that person needs their head checked very thoroughly... Especially if this is done in any significant numbers...

Second, if you think that EoCscape treats you as if you're 6, then 07scape treats you as if you're 10... Honestly, if this deters you from a game, then I suggest looking for a different game altogether...

3rd, I said the EoC GAME was unaffected...

Clans have been hit, and you wouldn't believe how many have closed in the years from 2008 and 2012... I can completely understand the resentment from the ones who quit in those years towards those who defend the EoC game because they like it... I can also completely understand that those who stuck with RuneScape against all odds who are now getting berated for exactly that by people returning to play 07scape, will want to do something about that...

But this is all just emotion. Fact is; over 100k people are on average logged in simultaneously playing the game they love, whatever game it is...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

It's quiet isn't it? No, not just on RuneScape, it's the forums as well. It's almost as everyone has gone away for the weekend, and they forgot to wake you up to come along for the ride.

This is what is bothering me most about playing RuneScape right now.. I am one of those people who came back for 07 because it was so hyped. I'd had one experience of EoC which was the combat academy which is AWFUL and Jagex should revamp it, because it turned me off. It was on a whim of my flatmate that I showed him EoC and realised how wonderful it is

But Ts hits on the one thing that is making me not want to play RuneScape - the community has dwindled so much. I browse every single RS forum I can find and none of them are anywhere near as active as they were before I quit. It's that discussion that I miss most. I hope it'll come back soon

--

Pretty frustrating for the other article given the latest news post from Jagex however, hahaha. I think they made the right choice

'Tis I, 'tis Vindice, 'tis I!

re: "Divided we Lawl"

I think if Andrew called the prototype game "DeviousMUD", then he fully intended the game to eventually be on a par with the emerging MMOs of the day. "MMORPG" was not just yet a widely used term, although that was changing, and the older "MUD" reference fell out of favor.

Online gaming changed drastically from my childhood days. My childhood was the Golden Age of arcade video games, with consoles bringing that era to a close, and the rise of gaming on personal computers. I was finishing my undergraduate studies more or less when Everquest started. Runescape came when I was taking a serious re-evaluation of my life's hopes and dreams, if you'll pardon the melodramatic tone. There is relatively little nostalgia for me in older versions of the game.

I still compare the '07 snapshot community to the one behind RS1 called Classic when the RS2 beta came along, although I admit the 07 community has a lot better chance of surviving longer, IMO. But I'm a storyteller sort of gamer, and since story arcs are with the more recent version of the game, that is where my choice remains. I have other games, some non-pixelated/digital I still play, but that's another discussion. RS 2013 is my primary time-waster.

re: "The State of Play"

already said enough on a recent update thread--

http://forum.tip.it/...ce/page__st__80

Even in real life... the house always wins in the end. Moreover, the house is Jagex, not players. Players are not the ultimate hosts, Jagex is. Players are guests.

quoting myself is strange but it's the easiest way to keep it as pithy as I can, oh, and well, I somewhat agree with the "Regulate" option, but I need some clarifications, Slypheed, on how this differs from Squeal of Fortune or other hardcoded probability. We're talking for pure coin, not XP, right? I regard SoF as lazy coding (base concept, not necessarily coding specifically on the prizes) and would prefer to see a better full-in-game alternative.

Yes, gambling must come to a controlled enviroment, nothing new in this article. Already posted this months ago. Still interesting (other then the slight bias against). Not that it matters much in the end, Jagex is dumb; flowers gone? Oh lets implent a coin that does exactly the same at it's core...

Private channels are already up, it's like they have no hindsight at all but then again they do cater it to a rather young crowd.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

The intention of the article wasn't to provide new unheard of information, it was simply to gather all of the events that have and could have happened into one article and inform players who possibly weren't as well informed of past and current events.

@Jollyroger

If Jagex were to implement their own gambling system it would have to be strictly Gp to Gp gambling. It would differ from the SoF in the sense that real money wouldn't be involved whatsoever.

The only contentious issue that could be disastrous are the odds that Jagex would use. To keep things unpredictable, I would suggest a randomised odds system that changes every week/day.

Sylpheed.png

If Jagex were to implement their own gambling system it would have to be strictly Gp to Gp gambling. It would differ from the SoF in the sense that real money wouldn't be involved whatsoever.

Thanks. I'd have a real good chuckle if Jagex decided to be exceptionally cheeky about it and implement it somewhere obviously shady-looking: the Rogue's Den, the Thieves' Guild, or the Draynor Jail. I'd give bonus points if Snotgut and Scrambles were somehow involved, too. Or even better, Whelps... err, I mean Yelps, in game.

Oh. How would it be different from the Rat Pits? I'm rather surprised that didn't get more attention, or at least a makeover.

The only contentious issue that could be disastrous are the odds that Jagex would use. To keep things unpredictable, I would suggest a randomised odds system that changes every week/day.

Well, I gather they want more control over the economy, based on previous statements and what are considered moneysinks. Randomized. Hmm. Players have already discussed psuedorandom number generators at great length; what other code would they use?

p.s. I forgot to mention I smiled reading Dracae's tip... Ordan sadly seems to be the most time-efficient way to grab mithril. I wish Jagex would address that because even adamant ore is easier to straight-mine gather.

I notice myself getting fed up with the 07 - live game discussion.

'Divided we lawl' does show a little light, since it is right in saying most of the people on 07 are not once who actually played the live game before. It is nice to see old faces again.. and nice that most of the people I 'hang' with are still in 13.

It seems the article had several themes, one being 07 vs 13, the other clans.

How ever weird it may seem, my clan has actually profited from the decline of others, it is full and has acquired a few new people who came from other clans that did suffer. This does not mean the clanworld is not in trouble, I run a 'nothing mandatory social 'type clan filled with very individualistic p;layers, It seems clans that rely on events , pvp and such are hit.

An other point:

"If you noticed something of a drop in bots and gamblers in EoCScape, however, this is not due to the opening of the 07 servers."

I do not agree, or at least this does not jive with what i have been seeing. About a week BEFORE the last botnuke and even longer before the take down of gambling I saw many bots disappear. I do not say this is because of 07, but the timing does suggest it.

I can also kinda prove the point, since I made a thread on the bots beiong gone , on the rs-forums almost a week before the botnuke. I like to kill wilderness green dragon bots and those were TOTALY gone , I checked other locations and several others did also and mature grotworms, summer garden, ess-miners etc. all were more or less gone , like I said almost a week before the nuke!

Either Jagex did a secret 'nuke' right when 07 came out or there is an other reason going on here.

An other thing is that the bots are not back in normal numbers yet, and normally they would have been after a nuke..

The problem is that I don't understand this enough to make a firm statement , but it has me curious.

I do not agree, or at least this does not jive with what i have been seeing. About a week BEFORE the last botnuke and even longer before the take down of gambling I saw many bots disappear. I do not say this is because of 07, but the timing does suggest it.

Another player I knew suggested that many are just dusting off old scripts.

I haven't heard much talk of bots in the current game-- I think there are some, but I don't see many. But I do hear plenty from those on the "Old School" servers. I figure the August 2007 snapshot is a much easier target right now, and from what I know of scripting, I'd gather combat bots are a little more difficult to set up and maintain than skilling ones. I'm also guessing they've got a little bit of a headstart; I seriously doubt Jagex brought bot-busting there up to the level of the current game.

I also think that the nostalgia factor has been slightly overstated. Many members of a clan I used to be in went over to the Old School servers. Yeah, I suppose some went for nostalgia, but I think more went back to return to the old skill -> coins -> sink coins back into skill. I remember a few stating just that, before and after the servers were implemented. They really do prefer the older workings of the economy. I think a small number are opposed to having the God Wars Dungeon being reimplemented, too, because that's more or less when the shift started.

Divided We Lawl

After reading this article i would point out that the clans being effected.....are specifically PK clans. The skill clans appear mostly uneffected in all of this. I know my clan had 5 -10 people who went over to 07servers....out of 500. That's a lot of players to leave in 1 day, but we had them replaced in less than 3 days, and just kept on trucking. Didn't make any noticeable long term difference. In the end though this follows the pattern thats it mainly the PVP community that has such a huge issue with EOC.

Edited by Randox
Moved to correct thread

In the end though this follows the pattern thats it mainly the PVP community that has such a huge issue with EOC.

I don't know about that... a clan I used to belong to had a lot of members move over to 07, and PvP hasn't been their focus for a long time. I was surprised to see even a few boss-crazy players spend some serious time. No, in my experience, I've seen a lot more players who preferred the old economy on skilling (make some profit instead of sinking coin into XP) head for "Old School".

I frankly can't make heads nor tails from the effect EOC had on PK-ing.

- Many self styled pkers I know tell me Pk-ing is ruined.

- The best pk-ers before EOC are still the best after, at least in my clan.

- One plays 07 because 'pk-ing is not a challenge anymore '.

- Other claims it is all about the gear now and was not before.

Something I myself have notice is that I used to be able to 'tank and run' doing whatever I wanted to do in wildy that did not involve pk-ing, but I can not do so anymore. You get stunned really fast and the damage done on me (per minute) seems a lot higher then it used to be.

I used to be 138 and also notice sooo many more people are now able to hit me , now I and everyone else is 200.

There seem to be a few abilities that you need to spam again and again, followed by a big one to kill someone PvP, at least when I started doing that I started winning instead of being destroyed.

Then about bots: As an owner of a bigger clan, who also for some reason still has friends outside it I have had my private chat open for years now and for most of this time I got spammed with offers to sell me gold, several times per hour. It took a wile for me to notice, because I mental y ignored them, but they are gone. Reduced to ZERO, at least for me.

I don't want to jinx it, but goldfarmers really seem to remain gone .

This subject in a way annoys me, since I can not figure out why and no one seems to have good theories, beyond 07.

Theories about the customer base of goldsellers being largely in 07. To me this is not logical, no way did 100% of gold buyers move to 07, so why don't these fine businessmen sell their gold on both server types?

O and , I know i repeat myself: but it was not Jagex botnuke that killed of the bots, they largely WERE GONE 5 days before that happened. It is possible that Jagex has made it a lot harder to use bots on EOC, lets hope this is the case.

I know of a few players who used to use 'clients' created to bot, to have 2 accounts on the same world from one computer ( without using bot scripts ) and this 'client' seems to be broken lately.

( No it is not me.. I barely have the concentration to do one account.. )