Are we slowing down evolution?

LGBR

It'd quite obvious humans have evolved, we no longer use our appendix. That shows that we have evolved and no longer have a need for it.

That gave me a laugh :) . Where is the proof that we ever stopped needing our appendix? Try to answer without circular reasoning, it will make the time on these forums less painful for you.

Living things dont grow body parts for no reason at all, everything has a reason to be there. But, even if we dont use our appendix it might of had previous uses, its just taking time for it to go away from the human population.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd quite obvious humans have evolved, we no longer use our appendix. That shows that we have evolved and no longer have a need for it.

That gave me a laugh :) . Where is the proof that we ever stopped needing our appendix? Try to answer without circular reasoning, it will make the time on these forums less painful for you.

Living things dont grow body parts for no reason at all, everything has a reason to be there. But, even if we dont use our appendix it might of had previous uses, its just taking time for it to go away from the human population.

The appendix was used to help us digest certain materials, since we no longer need to digest them we have evolved and it has becoming useless. Some people beleive it helps with the immune system but it's not fact. And it doesn't cause any effects when taken away. So either we were created with an appendix which does nothing (implying an imperfect designer) or we have evolved and no longer need it.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Ask the many hundreds of thousands of people in the world that have had it removed.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Slowing down evolution? I don't think so. Evolution continues. If you see that natural selection and fitness in the human race have become less important, then I agree, but evolution is more than natural selection and fitness. It can draw evolution in one direction, but without it, it certainly does not mean evolution has stopped.

its a bit difficult to slow down evolution when u werent evolving in the first place. god created adam in his image this is how we were created.

Evolution has been proven scientifically in many, many ways. It's even possible to prove it with scientifical experiments.

But religion will always find a way to deny cold hard evidence so it's a worthless discussion.

Slowing down evolution? I don't think so. Evolution continues. If you see that natural selection and fitness in the human race have become less important, then I agree, but evolution is more than natural selection and fitness. It can draw evolution in one direction, but without it, it certainly does not mean evolution has stopped.

Even then, things aren't changing much, other than the human race becoming more uniform I suppose (though I just said that randomly, I'm not sure if it's true :oops: ).

Other than that I don't really see any general evolutionary shift in the human race.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

i think were actually speeding up evolution...

we, us humans, are the cost of speedy global warming and are causing the arctic and antarctic ice caps to melt, and the ice melts much faster...species that live there will have to adapt sooner or later to survive...especially with the current North American leaders who mostly don't care about the environment

for example: the polar bear does not have ice as long as usual which it needs to make holes in to catch seals (which would be coming up for a breather) and it will soon need to adapt to this climate change so it can get food either all year long or a different source of food

btw, if something like this has already been posted dont flame...i didnt read all 5/6 pages

Even then, things aren't changing much, other than the human race becoming more uniform I suppose (though I just said that randomly, I'm not sure if it's true :oops: ).

Other than that I don't really see any general evolutionary shift in the human race.

What do you mean by uniform? When speaking of gene pools, they just keep getting larger due to increased mobility. Mixing up different races increases the combinations of genes and thus decreasing uniformity in a certain way.

But if you mean that cultures get mixed up and fade, then you're right, but that has nothing to do with evolution.

we, us humans, are the cost of speedy global warming and are causing the arctic and antarctic ice caps to melt, and the ice melts much faster...species that live there will have to adapt sooner or later to survive...especially with the current North American leaders who mostly don't care about the environment

for example: the polar bear does not have ice as long as usual which it needs to make holes in to catch seals (which would be coming up for a breather) and it will soon need to adapt to this climate change so it can get food either all year long or a different source of food

btw, if something like this has already been posted dont flame...i didnt read all 5/6 pages

What you mean is that we rapidly change the environment. That has nothing to do with evolution.

What you mean is that we rapidly change the environment. That has nothing to do with evolution.

Perhaps he means the changing of our environment will push evolution in a certain diection.

Of course enviroment affects evolution.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.