Are we slowing down evolution?

LGBR

Well with all the new technology we seem to be doing NOTHING. All we do is sit around all day, the only work we even do is to walk from our car.

We can even prevent most diseases from killing us, so perhaps in a million years we wont even HAVE immune systems.

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree in slowing down evolution from the past through medical and technological advancement. It's a question of morals.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Take down diseases, those viruses and bacteria that are immune just pop up (or reproduce more efficiently anyways), and we still have diseases.

I dunno much about evolution, but I know that it's still been occuring within the human race. Ex: humans have grown taller over the centuries.

I don't really get what most of your post has to do with evolution though :| .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Ok, I feel compelled to post an assignment I did on the issue in grade 12 biology. Forgive me if it's not super-dooper A-grade university standard.

It is increasingly obvious to us that the human species is far superior to any other that has ever lived on this planet. Over thousands of years of evolution, we have been gifted with brains of the ability to solve problems and use many kinds of tools. Due to our modern lifestyle and our seclusion from many other threatening species, the human race has gained the ability to provide for itself without needing to be part of another animalÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s food chain. Similarly, with the myriad of medications available to us, we donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t have to become the victim of disease causing pathogens. As a result of this, it isnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t all that unreasonable to suggest that natural selection no longer plays a role in our lives. Or perhaps it still has a role to play for some of us. Either side of the story has its plausible points and which ever view you take, it is hard to refute that we are at a critical crossroads in our evolutionary history.

To assert whether or not natural selection is still seen in the human race today we have to look at the issue from both sides of the story and in many different scenarios where the need for natural selection may differ.

One argument that asserts natural selection no longer plays a role in our life is that in modern times (and in western society), it is us that determine the actual ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹ÃânatureÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ we live in and thus we cannot be subjected to natural selection. This is due to the fact that there is no competition between us and other species or between members of our own species for food. As a result of this, the strongest will not get selected as the weakest will still live on and therefore ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åvirtually everybodyÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s genes are making it to the next generationÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Considering its taken tens of millions of years to get to where we are now (some people would debate 6000 years only), a hundred or so years of technology is nothing in comparison.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Considering its taken tens of millions of years to get to where we are now (some people would debate 6000 years only), a hundred or so years of technology is nothing in comparison.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. :oops:

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Take down diseases, those viruses and bacteria that are immune just pop up (or reproduce more efficiently anyways), and we still have diseases.

Actually diseases are good and very important to evolution believe it or not.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Too true. The more we postpone disease affecting our lives is the greater time the pathogens have to evolve thereby making our medications obsolete. It happened with penecillin didn't it? Not too sure on that one, sorry if I'm wrong there.

evolution will never stop, we devoloped the ability to invent didnt we?

we invent to meet our needs in every day life, so technically we're solving what could be a trigger of evolution. Millions of years ago we had fur to keep us warm in the cold, today we have clothes. were we would of had to shout to communicate long distances, we have telephones, internet etc.

I believe we're taking over our own evolution in some respects, we choose to adapt to whatever environment.

but we are bound to evolve due to this global warming, theres nothing we can do to stop it, we can only slow down the inhebitable because really, we're still in the iceage if you all already didn't know.

as long as there is ice-caps we're still in the iceage, naturally it is constantly melting slowly, we've just speeded up this process with global warming.

vistame09copyhr8.png

So true. If it appears that I didn't know that, my bad :-w .

With technology you don't need evolution, with new technology taking the place of natural selection. And as such people in technologically advanced societies don't evolve much.

Well, I'd have to say, its too short of a time. Also, I do not believe evolution even exists. Its a theory, not fact.

~Saruman

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Well, I'd have to say, its too short of a time. Also, I do not believe evolution even exists. Its a theory, not fact.

~Saruman

:wall:

Read a book, please. Or the topic title will do. Not 'does evolution exist' it's 'is our evolution slowing down.' If evolution dosen't coincide with your beliefs, fine, but be a man, and just stay out of the conversation.

~Saruman

Read a book, please. Or the topic title will do. Not 'does evolution exist' it's 'is our evolution slowing down.' If evolution dosen't coincide with your beliefs, fine, but be a man, and just stay out of the conversation.

LOL, ok I'll discuss, I'm just stating that in Darwin's book "Origin of Species" he stated that its just a theory, nothing more.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

~Saruman

LOL, ok I'll discuss, I'm just stating that in Darwin's book "Origin of Species" he stated that its just a theory, nothing more.

We'll I think you'd agree that we've all learnt more since the 1800's yes? We've all evolved, we've all moved on to the extent where the scientific community regards evolution as factual now. And the way you imply that evolution is 'just a theory' is severely misguided. Seriously, do some reading on theories and how they are made. It's not gueswork like many people such as yourself imply.

As a sidenote, have a look at my topic the challenge (link in my sig) and lets see how scientists as a whole feel about the issue. Try and find the answers for yourself, they are out there and depending on how open your eyes are, you could be surprised.

~Saruman

And your beliefs arent even a theory, they are a tall tale

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

~Saruman

We'll I think you'd agree that we've all learnt more since the 1800's yes? We've all evolved, we've all moved on to the extent where the scientific community regards evolution as factual now. And the way you imply that evolution is 'just a theory' is severely misguided. Seriously, do some reading on theories and how they are made. It's not gueswork like many people such as yourself imply.

As a sidenote, have a look at my topic the challenge (link in my sig) and lets see how scientists as a whole feel about the issue. Try and find the answers for yourself, they are out there and depending on how open your eyes are, you could be surprised.

Well, I mean look at it, what proof do you have about evolution? No offence, but I can say, I am God, and everyone else is just my slave. Now, its just a theory, but maybe one day it will be fact?

~Saruman

Well, I mean look at it, what proof do you have about evolution? No offence, but I can say, I am God, and everyone else is just my slave. Now, its just a theory, but maybe one day it will be fact?

You have totally missed the point on several occasions now. If you don't want to accept the theory which is widely accepted as undisputed and has much evidence, go ahead, keep your fingers in your ears and live in ignorance. If you want to see some evidence or why it's not 'just a theory' as you suggest, I'll consider to get some sources for you but if I go on my overriding assumption of what kind of person you are, why should I bother? Look it up. Read about it. Seriously. Give my toic 'the challenge' a go. Seriously.

~Saruman

You have totally missed the point on several occasions now. If you don't want to accept the theory which is widely accepted as undisputed and has much evidence, go ahead, keep your fingers in your ears and live in ignorance. If you want to see some evidence or why it's not 'just a theory' as you suggest, I'll consider to get some sources for you but if I go on my overriding assumption of what kind of person you are, why should I bother? Look it up. Read about it. Seriously. Give my toic 'the challenge' a go. Seriously.

Well, actually, I've looked at lots of things that say reasons why evolution is valid. And well, call me stubborn, but they just don't seem well... Whats the word... Credible? I mean, I just think that evolution is just acrazy idea that someguy made up, and now everyone believes. There is no evidence to it.

If you want to show me evidence, then I'll rethink it over.

Saru, please take warr's advice and read a frikking book on it.

But for the sake of discussion, what of evolution seems flawed to you? Don't give me some general statement like "it doesn't feel right", let's hear an answer.

Well with all the new technology we seem to be doing NOTHING. All we do is sit around all day, the only work we even do is to walk from our car.

I for one, don't have a car to walk to/from. As for slowing down evolution, we may be slowing it, we may not be... Hard to say unless we were to do a study. However, even if we do nothing, we evolve in ways that make us do nothing more efficiently :thumbsup:

If you want to show me evidence, then I'll rethink it over.

I very much suggest you go to this site and get some of the free products they offer, including This.

It may take awhile, but this DVD is completely worth it once you get it. It has at least 4 hours worth of lectures on evolution, and all based on nonscientific fact.

There is even a discussion on there that has a priest, a philosopher and two scientists which have a discussion about religion and evolution.

And besides that, you want proof? right now? Look at this planet, look at all plants an animals, look at every baby being born, look at yourself. Everything is a proof of evolution. People seem to think evolution is this huge concept, when in reality, it is so simple.

Evolution is nothing more then genetics. When conception happens, genes are changed, this change causes variation. This variation causes differences to be made. When a population mates according to these differences, and does it enough times, we end up with different species.

I suggest you take a biology class to learn more.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!