Alching/Dropping Rares: acceptable practice?

vitaoma

Of course it's acceptable. Once you buy one it's yours to do whatever you want with. If i had phat for example i know i wouldn't drop it or alch it or anything, not because of it's "value" but simply coz i like the item. I don't think it really has much to do with the economy, the only people who gain by destroying some rares are those with more rares and that will be the case until there are none left. Ultimately the economy and supply of rares are both too big to be influenced in any real way by the loss of a few rares here or there so yeh, it's acceptable no matter what point of view you have on rares.

Just getting rid of the odd rare wouldn't have an influence. But what if a bored, maxed out, ÃÆÃâÃâüberwealthy player decides to try and hoard as many rares as possible, to destroy them and keep just the one of each? Can you imagine the outcry in the community?

That guy/girl would be my personal hero, though. And usually, I'm not one for idolatry.

i think u r talking about the boston tea party

and it happened because the british were jelous that the indians were taking all their buisness

What boston tea party were you at?

The coffee thing did happen. Very clever piece of thinking as coffee is one of

Brazil's big exports.

Back to the question:

On one hand I see the point that may be made with regards to this being unacceptable , the worry that rares could all dissapear through alching.

On the other hand. If i saved up and bought a phat (:pray:) then, it is mine. Technically one could argue that, like all our accounts and items, it remains property of Jagex LTD. However for jagex to place restrictions on what we did with our items as long as we were not breaking any law/jagex rule is ridiculous

To conclude....It is acceptable. But I would hate to see it happen.

Ace

And if you do all you can, that's all you can ever do. - Warren Rudman

But men are men; the best sometimes forget. - William Shakespeare

6bveg5y.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a goal of destroying as many rares as I can to horrify as many people as I can...but that's beside the point.

I think it's an acceptable practice. Legally, it's a right given to players (in the contract thing when you first make an account) to do as they wish in the game as long as it's within the rules.

"Ethically", you're just horrifying people who are horrified that you're alching it instead of giving it to them for the greater good of their gameplay or you're horrifying people who care a bit too much about the economy of RuneScape.

Gimme a rare. I'll destroy it for you.

Truthscape - qeltar's excellent insights into RuneScape and more

Cave Story - Best Free RPG ever

-Retired. Forever-

I can't think of anything (within reason) that could hurt the Runescape economy, if you can even call it one. Honestly, give me a scenario that doesn't involve some completely ludicrous update, and we'll see how "bad" it is for the "economy".

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

What you think about it?

Before you answer let me tell you an history:

In the year of 1929, the Stock Market crashed, and that caused a ripple effect throughout the world.

Here in Brazil the government bought all the coffee they could from the coffee farmers and put it all into a fire.

Then I asked my teacher why they did that. He said that if they didn't do that, the value for coffee would have went down too much, causing a bigger problem.

((Basically, the coffee is oversupplied, and there is not enough demand, therefore the prices fall. By the government buying it, he made supply equal demand. A similar thing happened with most agricultural products in the United States as well.))

In 1929, there wasn't a way to stock coffee for a long period of time, but in RuneScape there is.

So do you think it is acceptable?

--------------------------------

TY mchainmail for helping me with English

lemme continue that history lesson, after the two world wars all of Latin America were ruled by military regimes and promoted industrializations. these new governments were cruel and killed/kidnapped many and with 20 yrs all of latin america went back to constitutional governments... and at the end most of latin america were in debt because of their infant industries and drop in oil prices

what does this have to do with anything? idk

@the idiot that said he ment boston tea part

ur about 200 yrs early, and 2000 miles off

as for the rares thing, try getting high lvls not quiting to alch their rares... i know i wouldnt, and another thing

COFEE IS REPLACEABLE, rares arent, thats a huge hole in ur lesson... and mine XD

and it happened because the british were jelous that the indians were taking all their buisness

thats a completly different thing.. and that's not why it happened. It was because the British government was the English's only supply of tea, and they had extremly high taxes on it. The English boycotted buying English tea, and a group of members not from the government and not paying for it boarded a ship filled with tea and dumped it into the Boston harbor.

8th grade history ftw..? Not that hard :wink: [/img]

redbullsigortiz.jpg

I could really not care less about any of the items anymore. I personally think it is stupid for me to pour my whole RuneScape career to show wealth. Having a fun time is more important to me.

Exactly how I feel.. that's why I am eating the egg.. it's a statement against rares.

~q

as ironic as it may be, you really shouldn't...

sell it and get guthans or something like that if you still have it

on topic, rares should just be made non-tradeable. it would end the suffering caused by them. so what if it causes thousands quitting and three or four days of anarchy, it would be a lot more peaceful without the rare merchants

i totally agree, it would piss alot of people off but they will get over it

tanmzammyvest,Pk%20%20Blooded.gif

That made me laugh salim:D

Sure, it's an acceptable, if rather dumb practice. It's your rare, if you want to throw millions out the window, sure. I think it would be rather sad to see all the last of these unique items exit the game forever, but that probably won't ever happen - who wants to alch a sign of incredible wealth? Rares are slowly reaching the hands of people who plan to wear them forever. They are safe forever, even if this as effectively destroys them as alching them. I think the game would lose a unique part of itself if rares were to completely exit the game. How would the destruction of the rares market make the game more "peaceful"? Last time I checked, the rares market consists of a few merchants in worlds 1 and 2, and some forum topics. What a huge impact removing those would have...

In conclusion, it's entirely acceptable, although you are never going to make a difference by doing it. More and more people are buying rares for keeps, while it's still possible to make enough money for them from scratch. Eventually, they will all be off the market from one reason or another.

I believe that if there was ever a time for this practice, and i still find it very bad, is now. The supply of rares is actually higher now that a few players have flodded the market with stocks of rares to make a quick buck. If you remember awhile back when a select player sold 100 santa hats for the price of 13m each, and suddenly people were selling santas at extremely low prices so that they could merch the really great deal shown before them. This is like what is happening now. I have seen tons of santa/wearable rare goals in the past few months, and that was when the prices of rares were steady. Now, when you spend everything you have on a rare, then find you have nothing, you figure you will sell it to make some money, and eventually buy it back. Basically, EVERYONE is making the money back, because they find they have nothing.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

No its not the boston tea party and the boston tea party happened because americans were angry at the tea tax. I think you have to study up more on your history...A lot.

Anyway no one actually purposely gets rid of their rare. It happends on accident (lureing,alching acciedents,ect.). So you can't stop the fact that rares are skyrocketing.

Honestly, destroying a few rares wouldn't do much as many people don't sell their rares to begin with. I don't know wether this would be in the supply because they aren't on the market. It is an ok practice because it is their item. People do it all the time. There is no issue on ethics in it. If someone wants to pay for it, they can pay for it. Honestly, I cannot see why some people think it is unethical to trade 500m for one item. Its not about the ethics, and if it was, it is ethical. They do not need them, it is just an unneccessary item people want for its looks.

soulthresher.png

Warning: I'm going to get preachy. Stop reading here if you don't want to listen to a sermon.

I don't think I'd utter nary whimper nor whine if all rares were dropped, alchemized or destroyed by some other means. It's unethical as is to be trading entire game earnings of a player for ONE item anyway, nor do I think it is ethical that thousands of players lucked out on these drops and are now hoarding them for value. Kind of seems really jacked up to the guy that didn't come online until that happened...

I also feel that this causes a rift between player "classes". Most people that played in Classic would agree that 'wealthy' meant having at least 750K in their bank and a combat set of Rune on free. Nowadays, you're considered very poor if you have just that in your bank, anywhere. After the partyhat economy exploded after RS2 release, things became really strange...prices went up higher than they ever should have been, not for a fun and novelty item.

I guess you could say that I do think it is acceptable. No sense in letting one group of very lucky players hoard every ounce of wealth, now does it?

A Little Off-Topic: I think your analysis is very interesting and possibly true, however, the argument of not letting one group of very lucky players have amazing amounts of wealth kind of goes against Rs's capitalist-like economy. Now I don't know if this is at all what would happen or is even possible to happen but it might turn out to be something like the following... If wealth was somehow distributed evenly it would turn RuneScape into a bit of a miny communist economy. Most people's average wealth would trickle down to a mere 100gp or less (considering how many people play this game!) The economy would still sort of adjust prices of raw materials to match that average wealth but it may very well be the same situation as before. Like to buy 1k coal ores it would take around 1k gp (which would still be very wealthy in an economy where the average person has 100gp). Anyways (my apologies if this was a really lack luster way to examine economics; I'm not one for numbers, figures, or business #-o )...

Back On Topic: I hardly believe that dropping/alching rares would be a major impact on the economy. It might be a significant dive in some senses but the raw material market is way more vital to RuneScape. Raw materials are what fuel skillers, pkers, and merchanters. Also, its being debated in other threads that these rares are disappearing enough as it is. Now assuming that many rares may now be slipping out of existence; its interesting to see that there still is a thriving market for them! All in all, as important as the RuneScape economy is, the game was mostly made to be an enjoyable RPG not a miny game economy... And yes I think its acceptable (sorry that I almost forget to answer the main question :wall:).

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).