The adventurer's guide to killing quest bosses

mario_sunny

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haunted mine. No need for expensive food. I did with 20 salmons and had food left :P I just used one combat potion. He has three locations:

east, where you came from (uncommon)

north, just above the cart (very common)

Just in front of the track, far west (common)

Those are practically all the locations I got. I could only hit once or twice with my dragon scimmy and then he disappeared. Just follow the flashing arrow :)

I just whipped the scarab to death with melee protect. Although the mage and range servans did hit me nice round 20's. What I found out is you should SWITCH OFF Auto retailiate. Not once have I found my character running for a minion after eating a shark/drinking a pot. Frustrating!!! That actually wasted my food, because I moved away fromt he scarab and he started hitting me with his magic. I nearly died once! Phew... Still, a relatively easy fight. I had much mroe trouble in the Haunted Mines, by the way :XD:

i have about the same stats as you, and yet i'm the one having lots of trouble! :evil:

-= Contact! =-

-= Giant Scarab (lvl-191, hp-120) =-

I've seen many people state that they defeated the Giant Scarab using their Abyssal Whip. But what if you can't afford one? Will that stop you from obtaining your Quest Cape? Of course not! You'll just have to defeat the Giant Scarab by exploiting its (apparently) greatest weakness: magic!

The Giant Scarab is not an opponent to scoff at since it can "summon" a Scarab Mage and Scarab Riders to assist it. You may wonder under what conditions do the Scarab Mage and Scarab Riders appear? So far no definite pattern is observed according to numerous player testimonies. Suffice it to say, you'll just have to fight smartly and use the environment to your advantage.

The cavern in which you will be fighting the Giant Scarab is vast. It spans approximately 2-by-3 screens. If you're lucky (like me :D ), the Giant Scarab will appear in the upper-left corner (furthest north-west) of the cavern. (I'll go back for a screenshot. Braving that maze again is madness! :XD: )

The upper-left corner of the cavern has a few key features. To the north is the cavern wall, so you won't be flanked by the Scarab Mage and/or Riders. There's a skeleton that you can safe-spot the Giant Scarab using a halberd, bow and arrow or spells. And finally, once the Giant Scarab is stuck trying to get to you, there will be no space for the Scarab Mage and/or Riders to try to flank you from the area along the cavern ravine.

When you are walking through the path towards the cavern, turn OFF auto-retaliate. If you're lucky, the Giant Scarab will appear where I've describe and you will have a very easy time defeating it. Turn on Protect from Range, run to the safe-spot and the Giant Scarab will get stuck and can only range you by spitting its poison-range weapon at you.

Using your most powerful spell, concentrate all of your attacks on the Giant Scarab. Periodically use a dose of Anti-Poison and Prayer potion. Eat something if you were hurt while running to the safe-spot. If you're lucky, the Scarab Mage and Scarab Riders will not be able to attack you since they will be stuck behind the Giant Scarab's rump :pray: . If all goes well, the Giant Scarab will be defeated in a minute or two. Osman will appear and you can finish the rest of the quest at your leisure.

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

• 1 month later...

Pretty good guide, you should add more though. Also, I found maging the scarab boss to be much more effective than melee (stand behind the dead body as a safe spot, and use protection from magic. wear a combination of rune and mystic, as defence against the melee and range creatures it summons).

And add a dream mentor guide pl0x?

ehmm you need a tinder and a lightsource for the contact! dugeon, a waterskin for the desert and a empty spot for the shantypass and the 1st weapon during carpet flyght

rida81.png

Rida81.png

became quest point master on: 21 dec 2007 2:43 pm

For My Arm, I found it a lot easier to kill the bird with range, of course my range was 59 so that helps, but meleeing him costs me more food, even with potions and 63 and higher for attack, defence and strength.

StGerolf.png

This is the best guide I ever saw, display wise! :D

But some of your informations are a little off....

Melee the giant scarab?!!?! Why??

Just stand behind the dead body praying range, and mage it. When he summons hes minions move to the little pond north and keep maging it.

Total supplies needed : about 50 spells, but bring more. 3-4 monkfish or better for the traps (Since you wont ever get hurt in the fight), but bring more. 1 anti in case the mages get lucky and poison you.

This works way better, trust me. And its 100% safe! Even cheaper!

Quest cape obtained at combat level 83, march 07.

I'm looking forward to what you have to share. I've been deciding whether to write one like this or not, but I haven't done nearly enough quests. If you need pics from p2p quests that I haven't done yet, let me know.

That would be great :P

Try to get pictures with no private messages and you striking the boss with your weapon when it is at about end or mid health.

OK, I'll work on it. Do you want some stuff about the Jungle Demon in Monkey Madness? That's the boss I'm going to fight next. Also, I'll try to get some pics during Olaf's Quest.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

• 3 weeks later...

Very good and interesting guide.

I did Haunted mine yesterday, and to be honest, at level 87 he was pretty easy with protect from range. Did use maybe one dose of prayer pot, not sure about that anymore.

The point is however, that he gets away everytime after you hit him. So you want to make sure to kill him in as less as possible hits, and speed of the weapon doesn't matter anymore, because you have one hit everytime. Well, one time I was lucky to get 2 hits before he got away.

So you want to maximize your damage output.

Important is to first use your dds specials. That has highdamage because of the double hit, AND it poisons. After that, you want to get a highdamaging weapon. Whip has high damage, but most of all, high speed, and thats not what you want. So take a greataxe or a barrelchest anchor instead.

If you don't have these, a whip would still be best.

Just wear full rune or granite for high range protection, and take some food. I was a bit careless, and took only 10 monks and no tele, but I managed to survive easily. Ate only 4/5 of them.

BTW; I could use some tips on barrelchest myself. ;)

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.