Swallowing Gum

runescapeloser22

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done it tons of times and nothing bad happened. But I've heard that swallowing gum can stick to your intestines and cause digestion problems and things like that.

Ooh, and it's difficult getting it out the other end.

hgbl3.png

Now I'm not saying she's a golddigger, but she ain't messing with no broke skiller.

Yeah rumour has it that it stays in your stomach for a while and turns hard, like a stone and is hard to let out of the back door.

And that rumour is nothing more than that - a rumour. It's not true in the slightest.

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell,

The reason why I cannot tell;

But this I know, and know full well,

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell.

It's disgusting because it's disgusting, duh ;P

And I mean moronic as in stupid/idiotic/etc, not the dictionary meaning mr smarty pants

2480+ total

Want a good reason to not swallow your gum?

1- Because it's disgusting

2- and moronic.

Error detected in post:

a good reason

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell,

The reason why I cannot tell;

But this I know, and know full well,

I do not love thee, Dr. Fell.

Here's the bottom pit, now Somnambulism is taking each and every word of a sarcasm post, and trying to make a point with it.

Looks like a gum-swallow-lovers convention here.

2480+ total

I heard a rumor that it goes around your heart and the more you swallow, the more goes around. Or that could of been when you chew your hair ..

Better to spit than swallow.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

it can be bad becasue if can get stuck when you swallow it and casue some series problems, but the odds are nothing is going to happen, if you dont notice anything wrong within like an hour or two you will be perfectly fine

legends2.jpg

ItÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs not disastrous or anything, but some of the substances in gum can cause laxation. But that only happens if you ingest tons of gum. Your stomach doesnÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôt like the stuff because itÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs not digestable, but itÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâôs nowhere of dangerous/harmful.

A lot of crap is posted here btw :?

Pfff I take highlanders side because its kinda disgusting but more disgusting to the gum swallower as they have to let it outta the back door eventually :?

And I heard that chewing gum is supposed to stay in your stomach for seven years, but I think that's b.s.

coldsteelx.png

coldsteelx.png

coldsteelx.png

Actually what bubsa said is what I've heard, but I thought it was 7 years...

Google Search:

[hide=Yahoo Answer]

Dear Dustin:

We started by typing three words into the Yahoo! search field: chewing, gum, and swallow. We weren't impressed with the site matches, so we focused on the web page matches.

We noticed a page from Ask Dr. Weil, a popular health and alternative medicine web site. Dr. Weil reassures us that the body will get rid of the gum in due time. However, he does point out that sugar-free gum, whether swallowed or chewed in large amounts, can cause digestive problems. The sugar substitutes (hexitol, sorbitol, and mannitol, to name a few) found in sugar-free gum are not absorbed, but pass into the small intestine and colon, where they can cause diarrhea.

We wanted a second opinion, so we headed over to the Loyola University Health System, where a newsletter focusing on health myths addressed the topic of swallowing chewing gum. In their opinion, it's not the healthiest thing you can do, but if you do swallow your gum, it will simply pass through your system undigested into your stool (much like fiber).

The consensus seems that it's best to toss your chewed-out gum in the trash, but if you do happen to swallow a piece, don't worry -- it won't sit in your tummy for seven years.

The link Or Proof

[/hide]

[hide=Kids Health]

In rare cases, swallowing a large mass of gum, or many small pieces of gum over a short period of time, can block the digestive tract. Blockages in the digestive system are most likely to happen when gum is swallowed along with other indigestible things (like sunflower seed shells).

More Information On This quote[/hide]

[hide=Medical Expert]

Along with many generations of children, Iwas also warned of the perils of swallowing chewing gum and that it would stay in the stomach for years. My own personal favourite story was that it could find its way out of the digestive system and wrap itself around the different vital organs and cut off the blood supply. Fortunately, this and other old wives tales, are untrue.

Chewing gum consists of a fibre that can't be digested by our bodies, so, if it's swallowed, apart from the unpleasant texture, it will pass harmlessly through the body intact along with other waste. There is no way it could get lost and wrap itself around vital organs or lurk in the stomach for untold years.

Raising Kids, And for more on that quote[/hide]

Obviously that 6-7year thing is untrue, ^_^.

Re-reading posts that were posted during this, there's alot of false info in this topic about gum>.>

Research ftw.

Actually what bubsa said is what I've heard, but I thought it was 7 years...

Google Search:

[hide=Yahoo Answer]

Dear Dustin:

We started by typing three words into the Yahoo! search field: chewing, gum, and swallow. We weren't impressed with the site matches, so we focused on the web page matches.

We noticed a page from Ask Dr. Weil, a popular health and alternative medicine web site. Dr. Weil reassures us that the body will get rid of the gum in due time. However, he does point out that sugar-free gum, whether swallowed or chewed in large amounts, can cause digestive problems. The sugar substitutes (hexitol, sorbitol, and mannitol, to name a few) found in sugar-free gum are not absorbed, but pass into the small intestine and colon, where they can cause diarrhea.

We wanted a second opinion, so we headed over to the Loyola University Health System, where a newsletter focusing on health myths addressed the topic of swallowing chewing gum. In their opinion, it's not the healthiest thing you can do, but if you do swallow your gum, it will simply pass through your system undigested into your stool (much like fiber).

The consensus seems that it's best to toss your chewed-out gum in the trash, but if you do happen to swallow a piece, don't worry -- it won't sit in your tummy for seven years.

The link Or Proof

[/hide]

[hide=Kids Health]

In rare cases, swallowing a large mass of gum, or many small pieces of gum over a short period of time, can block the digestive tract. Blockages in the digestive system are most likely to happen when gum is swallowed along with other indigestible things (like sunflower seed shells).

More Information On This quote[/hide]

[hide=Medical Expert]

Along with many generations of children, Iwas also warned of the perils of swallowing chewing gum and that it would stay in the stomach for years. My own personal favourite story was that it could find its way out of the digestive system and wrap itself around the different vital organs and cut off the blood supply. Fortunately, this and other old wives tales, are untrue.

Chewing gum consists of a fibre that can't be digested by our bodies, so, if it's swallowed, apart from the unpleasant texture, it will pass harmlessly through the body intact along with other waste. There is no way it could get lost and wrap itself around vital organs or lurk in the stomach for untold years.

Raising Kids, And for more on that quote[/hide]

Obviously that 6-7year thing is untrue, ^_^.

Re-reading posts that were posted during this, there's alot of false info in this topic about gum>.>

Research ftw.

I know this is a TOTALLY gross idea, but you could cut your feces open and find some gum in it.

tifsbti6oi.gif

=; No it isn't.

Sorry i can't believe noone had said that before me :wink:

iteme3721.jpg

=; No it isn't.

Sorry i can't believe noone had said that before me :wink:

Actually its better to spit since gum is bio-degradable(sp?), and if you spit it in a garbage bin, how long will it take to get to a dump?