Welcome Eurovision 2007!

runemetsa

Helsinki_ESC_2007.png

As we all know Eurovision song contest is held in Helsinki, the capital of Finland, next Saturday. Eurovision, the thing that everybody in Europe watches once a year and see their own country lose. Last year, when Lordi won, it was a highly waited suprise for us Finnish people. After long time, we managed to win Eurovision and get the contest to our country for the first time in history. So I decided to make a topic to tell about Finland's Eurovision song contest.

The contest is held in the capital of Finland, Helsinki. The center and the arena is located in middle-Helsinki. The arena is called Hartwall-arena (Hartwall=biggest soft drink company in Finland). It's usually used for Ice-Hockey games and other sport matches, but every year there are many concerts and other various events. Many international artists, like Robbie Williams, Iron Maiden, Spice Girls, Shakira, Shania Twain etc have been performing there. There have been held many World cup Ice Hockey games too.

hartwall_areena.jpg

The event itself is held on next Saturday, the 12th of May. It starts on 22.00 local time, which is 20.00 GMT. The presenters of the competition are Jaana Pelkonen(been onto tv-programs, famous in Finland) and Mikko Leppilampi (actor and singer, voted as one of the hottest men in Finland).

juontajatlehtikuva3leipis.jpg

At this point, according to the gallups, the following countries would be in the top three:

Sweden - The Ark - The worrying kind

Finland - Hanna Pakarinen - Leave me alone

Switzerland - Dj Bobo - Vampires are alive

Finnish people take Eurovision very seriously (at least now) and we have been trying to make this years competition better than ever before. So I got to say, See you in Helsinki! Watch Markku from Finland showing us, what kind of place Finland is! Very humorous, includes inside jokes for finnish people, but still funny. Check them out:

Episodes:

Specials:

mini-eerikki.jpeg

runemetsauserbar.jpg

[Star Wreck][PM me][My gallery][DeviantArt][Cool T-shirts!]

[iron Sky - Trailer is now out!]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a good few years since Eurovision was an actual song contest. There are now so many alliances that it has just become ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not moaning about the lack of a British win. I know Britain don't win any more because our entries are consistently crap. Hell, I could do better....actually Bubsa, I vote Bubsa! Anyway, as I was saying, it's all political nowadays. Doesn't stop me watching it though. It's always good for a giggle. ::'

suzironniesigwx2.jpg

The Poison Fairy

The British are so bad at Eurovision it's embarassing.

Other than that I dislike it because Dr. Who and the Russell Brand radio show have been cancelled next week because of it. <.<

Oh, I've moved this to M&M because that's where I think it should go. It's on the TV and is about music.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

We are bad at Eurovision yeah but not as bad as what reflects in the vote. That's because all the Scandinavian countries vote for each other and so do all the eastern European ones. We will never win again even if we do have the best act on the night.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Yeah, the Political Song Contest would be a more appropriate name.

Remember, most countries vote by a telephone-in which, maybe explains some of the traditional voting.

The Nordic countries always give each other maximum points, as do the Balkans and Cyprus & Greece always give each other 12 points, regardles of how poor their song was. Britain always scores Ireland highly, but they never give us more than a few points lol.

Remember the year Britain invaded Iraq (for the second time). Elaine Kelly got booed when she presented the British vote and Britain failed to collect a single vote that year. Yes our song wasn't very good, but it was far from the worst song.

Anyway, I won't be watching as I know the inter-voting will yet again, provide us with an unjust winner. :(

Harrington.gif

It has been a good few years since Eurovision was an actual song contest. There are now so many alliances that it has just become ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I'm not moaning about the lack of a British win. I know Britain don't win any more because our entries are consistently crap. Hell, I could do better....actually Bubsa, I vote Bubsa! Anyway, as I was saying, it's all political nowadays. Doesn't stop me watching it though. It's always good for a giggle. ::'

Hahaha, could you actually imagine? :P

As Matt says, it doesn't matter if Pink Floyd themselves entered the competition, it would have very little bearing as to where we would finish. It seems our entry this year (by entry I'm being generous, it's a shambolic attempt) was chosen because it sounded like "Eurovision, cheesy pop". This won't win votes, it'll probably lose even more, seeing how patronising it is. We've basically turned around and said: "Hey, you like crap music? We can do it too, but better!"

Disappointed Lordi aren't hosting it as well :(

The British are so bad at Eurovision it's embarassing.

Other than that I dislike it because Dr. Who and the Russell Brand radio show have been cancelled next week because of it. <.<

Oh, I've moved this to M&M because that's where I think it should go. It's on the TV and is about music.

gotta love eurovision, the cheesiness factor of it is awesome!!

I agree with u about DR who..

but i loathe Russel Brand.. really.. i want to kill him till he dies to death.

Tk5SF.png

A few jars and a take-a-way watching Eurovision with your mates. Its a good excuse for a night in booze up and save your money.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

AWW GAWWWDAMM!! I'm gonna miss it!! Stupid Derwent Hill!! NOOOO!!

I guess nobody knows what Derwent hill is... School weekend residential *exciting extreme sports* trip!

*that means some pervert eying you up whilst you spend about an hour getting told how to rock climb *safely* on an indoor wall, then spend about 4 minutes climbing, rinse repeat. Teachers yelling at you for an entire weekend because you were playing on a DS after *lights out* at 9pm, completely ignoreing the people who snuck out the window to take drugs... Idiots..

that said i really hate terry wogan so its probably a fair trade..

Tk5SF.png

Brr, sorry. If there's something I can't stand it's the Eurovision Song Festival. And that's not because it's audience.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Saying that, I'll definately be watching again this year :P First, it's a traditional piss up for me and my mate Si and second, I'd listen to Terry Wogan's commentary on it all year! :D

Haha, that's the best bit by far. :D

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

How can I watch it international ie. I'm in America, and I wanna watch Eurovision, how?

Can I vote?

umm.. bbc.co.uk might have a livestream of it on the night... maybe

nope -only EU ppl can vote, and besides its not about the songs as to who wins, you vote for your bordering / allied countries - end of

Tk5SF.png

If it wasn't for Terry Wogan's commentary I don't think the contest would be as widely watched here in the UK. He just usually takes the piss out of the show, it's hosts and it's acts all night. :P

sig2ho7.jpg

You can pick up BBC right Daan? Try giving the English version of the show a go. Terry Wogan really makes it the entertainment that it is. If we took it seriously I don't think anyone would watch it in the UK.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

You can pick up BBC right Daan? Try giving the English version of the show a go. Terry Wogan really makes it the entertainment that it is. If we took it seriously I don't think anyone would watch it in the UK.

Alright, I might just give it a try. Here it's just homosexuals (I don't mind homosexuals) being extremely gay, which is quite annoying in a t.v. programma that fills up an entire evening. And it's not like you're doing it for the music either. :P

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

nope -only EU ppl can vote, and besides its not about the songs as to who wins, you vote for your bordering / allied countries - end of

I thought they decided you could no longer vote for your neighboring countries to solve this?

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

I thought they decided you could no longer vote for your neighboring countries to solve this?

hmm.. i was unaware of this if it has happened.. thats a bit problematic as a solution if you ask me.

Tk5SF.png

First ive heard of it. I doubt thats true tho because the UK for example only has ireland as a neighbouring country while some of the Eastern European ones might have several. Its not a fair system either way lol.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

I'll watch it for Apocalyptica in the halftime show.

Hm, I personally thought the winning country Serbia was a crap song and only won becasuse of political voting. (By the way the singer of the song, a woman looks like a man).

Goldenjkered.png

Whips: 3 Dragon Boots: 15

My 99's: Attack & Cooking

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Goldenjkered