Is magic too weak??

Magic_Shad3

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 words: Ice Barrage

Almost forgot this combo: Charge + Claws of Guthix.

99 Magic; achieved on 4-4-2009.

85 Slayer; achieved on 6-8-2009.

99 Defence; achieved on 14-8-2009.

99 Constitution; achieved on 12-3-2013.

99 Attack; achieved on 12-5-2013.

99 Slayer; achieved on 21-6-2013.

I came, I saw, I ran away.

osiris_1993.png

^Ice barrage on its own is hopelessly weak. The thing that makes magic powerful is the ability to pull combos, like miasmic barrage+ice barrage, which can do 62 damage.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

tbh the only thing preventing magic from being effective in 1v1 situations is that mages cannot farcast effectively in a 1v1 situation. If a mage tries to farcast, chances are they will be rudely interrupted by another player. It doesn't help that many soloists don't see mages as honest 1v1 pkers and don't afford them the same respect they would to a solo ranger, or warrior. for this reason, it is impossible for a mage to be effective on its own in a 1v1 situation, unless there were only 2 players fighting each other with no others around.

0bl1v10nmage.png

Some long term goals

[hide=]0bl1v10nmage.png

0bl1v10nmage.png

0bl1v10nmage.png[/hide]

Well. Magic is more for clan wars then anything else. In arenas ancients pwn. 1v1 they are not good. theres a blog of a mage who wins 90% of fights hes in though. i don't know the name anymore. its been awhile since i saw it. Magic needs a buff against melee.

wither_slick.gif

wither_slick.png

It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong. - Voltaire

Behind this mask there is more then flesh, there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof. - V

When the time comes, Don't hesitate, Just Act. - Wolf O Donnal - Star Fox Assault.

Well. Magic is more for clan wars then anything else. In arenas ancients pwn. 1v1 they are not good. theres a blog of a mage who wins 90% of fights hes in though. i don't know the name anymore. its been awhile since i saw it. Magic needs a buff against melee.

In duel areana, I tend to 3 combo 3/4ths of my opponents, around level 110-130, and, out of over 50 fights, I lost 2, and the guys were red-barred. Tell me how that needs a buff? As obli1v10nmage pointed out, it's only downside if not being able to stay in combat. That's why I love the duel arena, but alas, no loot to be found there anymore.

And why would magic only work for clan wars? Castle War used to be THE GAME for ancient magicks, as well as old staking.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

In a pvp situation, its very cheap when compared to melee, and to a lesser extent, range.

I must disagree with that. A Meleer risks a rune platebody (60k) rune legs (40k) and a neitiznot helm (50k)

A magician with combinations will use 300k worth of runes. 60k if they decide to use a Seer's ring, and even more with INV and armor costs.

Picture2-10.png

• 2 weeks later...

Max hits:

melee - 110 (or something like that)

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

Mages have to use lots of inventory spaces for runes, which the other classes can use for food.

32 max damage is not enough to KO, so the mage has to make the meleer to use all his food (one shark can negate the barrage in most cases). However, before the mage has managed to do this, he has most likely been KOed by the meleer.

For all players who think magic isn't even supposed to work in 1vs1 combat: Magic is supposed to be a part of the combat triangle, which means it should work in 1vs1. Currently it is just a support skill similar to prayer and summoning, so Jagex is lying about the combat triangle.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Max hits:

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

Mages have to use lots of inventory spaces for runes, which the other classes can use for food.

32 max damage is not enough to KO, so the mage has to make the meleer to use all his food (one shark can negate the barrage in most cases). However, before the mage has managed to do this, he has most likely been KOed by the meleer.

For all players who think magic isn't even supposed to work in 1vs1 combat: Magic is supposed to be a part of the combat triangle, which means it should work in 1vs1. Currently it is just a support skill similar to prayer and summoning, so Jagex is lying about the combat triangle.

Magic's maximum is 62, and that also freezes and halves your enemies attack speed. Melee CAN hit 110, but not in PvP.

As shown in my Combo Charts, most Spell Combos deal around 24-30 damage ON AVERAGE. A whip does around a 20-25 average damage, plus, if frozen, can't hit, or KO the magician at all.

The triangle is fine. Using melee or range I have been able to equal my clan wars KC like when I do with Magic. The damage and effects are devastating. You can't just auto-cast ice burst and expect great things.

Picture2-10.png

• 4 weeks later...
Max hits:

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

Magic's maximum is 62, and that also freezes and halves your enemies attack speed. Melee CAN hit 110, but not in PvP.

As shown in my Combo Charts, most Spell Combos deal around 24-30 damage ON AVERAGE. A whip does around a 20-25 average damage, plus, if frozen, can't hit, or KO the magician at all.

The triangle is fine. Using melee or range I have been able to equal my clan wars KC like when I do with Magic. The damage and effects are devastating. You can't just auto-cast ice burst and expect great things.

Spell combos are useless illusions, as you use the time for 2 spells to deal 2 hits. With DDS special you use the time for 1 attack to deal 2 hits (there is no initial delay in DDS special).

Let's say you hit two 24s with a combo. During the casting of the spells (including all delays) your opponent eats 2 sharks which reduces the damage done to 8.

If you hit two 24s with a DDS special, your opponent can eat once and you still have damaged the opponent for 28 HP.

The comboes would be useful only if you could hit the opponent two times without the initial delay.

In spell combos both splats appear at the exact same time (or close enough it's equal to DDS.), and if you want you can add in an Obsidian ring attack.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Max hits:

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

Spell combos are useless illusions, as you use the time for 2 spells to deal 2 hits. With DDS special you use the time for 1 attack to deal 2 hits (there is no initial delay in DDS special).

Let's say you hit two 24s with a combo. During the casting of the spells (including all delays) your opponent eats 2 sharks which reduces the damage done to 8.

If you hit two 24s with a DDS special, your opponent can eat once and you still have damaged the opponent for 28 HP.

The comboes would be useful only if you could hit the opponent two times without the initial delay.

You do realize that, in PvP, it is better to have more damaging attacks at once, then two separate attacks? That is because your objective is to get your opponents hp to 0 despite and healing they might do. The two attacks together might kill your opponent, so they cannot eat again, as opposed to using just one type of spell, when they can eat between both.

Picture2-10.png

[hide=previous quotes]
Max hits:

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

[/hide]

You do realize that, in PvP, it is better to have more damaging attacks at once, then two separate attacks? That is because your objective is to get your opponents hp to 0 despite and healing they might do. The two attacks together might kill your opponent, so they cannot eat again, as opposed to using just one type of spell, when they can eat between both.

Without comboes: hit-eat-hit-eat or eat-hit-eat-hit

With comboes: eat-hit-hit-eat

Therefore, the comboes only help if the opponent can't eat before the combo hit because he has full health. Usually the opponents of people with 94+ magic have over 80 hits so even if you are lucky to hit max with the combo, he's not going to die and can eat before the next attacks.

Anyways, the usage of comboes is too hard (requires exact timing and laglessness) compared to melee and ranged special attacks, so magic remains underpowered.

[hide=previous quotes]
Max hits:

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

[/hide]

If the Combo works, they won't get the eat that second time after. They will each 0 HP before they can eat. That's the point.

Picture2-10.png

[hide=previous quotes]
Max hits:

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

[/hide]

If the Combo works, they won't get the eat that second time after. They will each 0 HP before they can eat. That's the point.

You're going to kill people with ~60 damage? Only going to work with pure mage. Normal characters that a level 94+ mage can kill have over 80 (remember the combat level limitations).

PJing doesn't count as wounded characters are easier to kill anyways.

[hide=previous quotes]
Max hits:

ranged - 48+48

magic - 32

[/hide]

You're going to kill people with ~60 damage? Only going to work with pure mage. Normal characters that a level 94+ mage can kill have over 80 (remember the combat level limitations).

PJing doesn't count as wounded characters are easier to kill anyways.

How hard can melee or range hit? Range hits up to 60 with d bolt special; but that's unreliable and the regular hits max around 40. Whip can only hit mid 40s; GS low 60s; DH can hit very high but that requires being at very low hp. Magic hits 60s, is far more accurate than melee or range, and can freeze, poison, drain stats, reduce attack speed, and heal the user.

Combos versus regular hits are like switching weapons for melee. Regular casting hits half as much with twice the speed. Melee has the same type of thing; whip hits half as much as DH and is twice as fast. Would you call a massive hit from DH or a godsword a useless illusion?

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

An average Ice Barrage + Shadow Barrage combo is about 29-30 damage. Whip is maybe 24 damage on average. Check out the combo graphs in my guide. Don't believe me? Do the math yourself. There is only 1 way to hit 0, 2 ways to hit 1, 3 ways to hit 2 ect ect. Then go down: 1 way to hit 58, 2 ways to hit 57, until you reach the mid-point. That is where your damage will be most frequent.

That's not including the effects of the spells.

Picture2-10.png

An average Ice Barrage + Shadow Barrage combo is about 29-30 damage. Whip is maybe 24 damage on average. Check out the combo graphs in my guide. Don't believe me? Do the math yourself. There is only 1 way to hit 0, 2 ways to hit 1, 3 ways to hit 2 ect ect. Then go down: 1 way to hit 58, 2 ways to hit 57, until you reach the mid-point. That is where your damage will be most frequent.

But what about the Defense? The meleer can wear Karils/D hide and retain the same offensive capabilities.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

But what about the Defense? The meleer can wear Karils/D hide and retain the same offensive capabilities.

Offensive, but not defensive. Dark bow spec will quickly take care of them if they swap to Ranger armor.

Picture2-10.png

How hard can melee or range hit? Range hits up to 60 with d bolt special; but that's unreliable and the regular hits max around 40. Whip can only hit mid 40s; GS low 60s; DH can hit very high but that requires being at very low hp. Magic hits 60s, is far more accurate than melee or range, and can freeze, poison, drain stats, reduce attack speed, and heal the user.

Combos versus regular hits are like switching weapons for melee. Regular casting hits half as much with twice the speed. Melee has the same type of thing; whip hits half as much as DH and is twice as fast. Would you call a massive hit from DH or a godsword a useless illusion?

The combo effect is an illusion because it appears to hit more than non-combo, but in reality it hits the same damage per time as non-combo.

delay-30-30-delay (Combo, 60 damage.)

delay-30-delay-30 (Non-combo, 60 damage in the same amount of time used. The delays need to be counted too.)