Is magic too weak??

Magic_Shad3

in my opinion with these 2 spells mage isn't too weak Ice barrage and Blood barrage.. Ice barrage you can hold a group of people away from you and with blood barrage you can kinda heal your hp if they hit you..

the one problem i have with mage is this.. The spells cast too slow other than that mage is just fine the way it is.. With ice barrage i can drop meleers before they get to me but i still lose to rangers sometimes.

Magic has more range than Ranged...

Should use this advantage

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not here to whine so please dont tell me what to do.

Lol?

Firstly, you definitely are whining.

Secondly, we are just telling you why you're so --not good-- at mage.

Once again, if you still don't get it:

Do smoke rush to poison your opponent, then do ice barrage till they're pwned. Optionally skip out the smoke rush.

but i still lose to rangers sometimes.

You're suppose to!

yeah i know lol.. but i mages do kill rangers which isn't supposed to happen often. I'm more of a ranger than a mager if you didn't know by lookin at my stats.. i have like 2.5 times as much range exp than mage lol

RSN: drgnslyer15

Drgnslyer15.png

15 skills 90+ - 10 skills 99 - 200m+ total exp

Magic has more range than Ranged...

Should use this advantage

There are long ranged weapons too. Dark bow? MLB spec?

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

Mage is really weak on its own, the problem with it is that black dragonhide doesn;t lower melee stats, it really should and if it did meleers wouldn't beat mages just by switching to hides.

IMO,in a prefect trainagle it should have been:

Melee armour -> negative range & magic attack bonus

Ranger armour -> negative melee & magic attack bonus

Mage armour -> negative melee & range attack bonus

Jagex however looks at it diffrently (see the addition of [bleep]ed vambs)

yep this guy gets it. melee's shouldnt be able to wear hides and still whip mages But jagex doesnt care about hybreding so just go get yourself a msb or a dds yourself.

i don't play psykick anymore... i play 2ed: "pure fett"

26081 to get 99 herblore

99 magic does not stand a chance against a guy with 75+ strenght and dds spec in stake. And a ranger only needs like 80+ hp to bring down a mage even if he has 99 magic.

Of course you can say that magic is for wildy not for staking, but when jagex made RS2 they wanted each fight method (ranged,melee and mage) to be more independent, but tbh magic is not an independent stat.

Magic has becommen a skill u use with either magic or melee, to freeze or teleblock, and this does not make it an indepentent stat.

Rangers can pwn us easily and melees too cause of specs :(

First off as many people have already said, if your using mage right you should easily beat a melee opponent.

Yes a ranger should be able to kill you.

As for people hybriding .... You have 99 mage and 82 range....

No skill in runescape in completely independent.

As for mage being weak, what the hell are you doing.

You can hit 30's on someone and stop them moving for 20 seconds. If that weak then party hats are cheap.

I do however agree that mage should have weapons with specials (By that I mean uses the special bar).

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

you stink

i have 86 mage , i dont even have barrage. and im totally on it in the wild, you just dont know what ur doing and you just took the release of the dark bow and added the fact that you have no clue what to do with your 99 mage thus making a big huff on tip.it about how "MY mage is too weak".

change the topic title plz :lol:

How to pk someone using magic:

1. Ice barrage

2. Laugh at your opponent, run in circles around him

3. Repeat 1 and 2 until they say farcaster noob and tele, or until they equip dhides

4. If they run, intercept and switch to melee

5. If not unleash dds specs on dragonhides

Repeat 1 and 2.

dang !!!!!!! did u heard him ???? every 99 mage 99 def own high lvlpking wildy ..... farcast noob ... atleasits work fine !!!!!!!!!

something to say about my english grammar ?!?!? , okay , but do it in french !

In the dual arena, you can freeze warriors and just turn food off, that will stop them from eating.

Mage is really weak on its own, the problem with it is that black dragonhide doesn;t lower melee stats, it really should and if it did meleers wouldn't beat mages just by switching to hides.

I fully agree. Although i can understand why it doesn't. It will be impossible to melee many of the slayer monsters that use a magical based attack.

It would make perfect sense, people wouldn't be able to get away with just levelling melee, hybriding would actually be worth it and you wouldn't be able to do anything with only melee.

Also the people who think you can pk with mage only if you're on your own are wrong. In theory you barrage + run the whole time but it never works in practice, barrage or any freeze spell doesn't stop them moving every time.

...Haha, magic too weak? Magic dominates the wild.

All you need is ahrims+whip+dds...

Lol at this comment, a whip isn't a mage weapon so thats hybriding, my argument, and i hope the maker of the threads is that you can't pk with only mage but you can with only melee.

Okay, i'll say this, Magic is NOT underpowered.

This however, I agree with -

Of course you can say that magic is for wildy not for staking, but when jagex made RS2 they wanted each fight method (ranged,melee and mage) to be more independent, but tbh magic is not an independent stat.

Magic has becommen a skill u use with either magic or melee, to freeze or teleblock, and this does not make it an indepentent stat.

I also think that magic is in need of some kind of good armour..

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

dang !!!!!!! did u heard him ???? every 99 mage 99 def own high lvlpking wildy ..... farcast noob ... atleasits work fine !!!!!!!!!

1) Please use spell check or a dictonary or something before you type..

2) "Farcasting" is what Magic is SUPPOSED to be. If your not farcasting and using a whip, dds, ect.. Your not using magic, but using Melee.

Using Melee in mage robes which have low melee defence bonuses is why you get hit.. Duh! Its like trying to range in full rune and complain you cant hit anything. Just common sense.

3) People complain that dds's and melee tools hit to hard through mage robes? Again I point to #2.. Farcasting.

4) Farcasting is not noob and anyone who dosent use it is unpowering their own magic skill.

You want to know why magic's think their underpowered because they get killed by 2 sides of the triangle? Because their not farcasting, and making themselves unpowered. Its their own fault. Mage being used as its intended is not underpowered at all.

The Triangle is fine where it is.

dawnsigblue-3.png

I have no idea what the author of this thread is talking about. if you have to complain about 99 magic being "weak" you have an issue with useing your levels to their advantage.

1) learn how to mage. Magic is based on being able to cast from far away. this allows others to become suprised. You can freeze, cast shadow spells and smoke spells to reduce attack levels and poison them, freeze again, and go in for the kill. how hard is that? it may not be practical, but hell, at least i know what to do in theory. tactics are what magic is about. mele is about brunt force. mele doesnt really have tactics other than when to use specials. range is about hitting fast, but in low numbers (or slow and in high numbers, as the dbow has shown us). its all about tactics. you need to learn them before you complain.

2) magic is weak? i think not. the lunar spellbook definatly can be put to use in this theory. Now, i dont know how fast the spell is where you can switch to a different spell book to cast another spell, but if you were to cast barrage, switch to mele armor, switch rpyer books, cast vengence, and go in for the dds specials, im pretty sure you could cause some pretty high damage. i dont have 99 magic, but it doesnt take someone with 99 magic to understand its power. 3 different types of spells, 3 different types of tactics, and event he ability to use all 3 spell books at your advantage. i dont see how being able to do that creates a disatvantage for the skill at all.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

Magic beats any opponent in any given situation under any circumstances if you know how to use it properly :)

Rangers w/ short range: Ice barrage, attack from as far back as possible.

Rangers w/ long range: Lure them to an obstacle, freeze them, run to a safe spot so they can't reach you but you can reach them

Meleers: Freeze them :roll:

Mages: Lure them to an obstacle, freeze them, run to a safe spot and attack

Whenever you're attacking someone, you wanna keep attacking with smoke barrage once they're frozen until you see poison damage them. Then you use shadow barrage till hit hits ~5 times - hopefully one of those 5 hits will have lowered their attack. Finally, alternate between ice barrage and blood barrage. Depending on how close you are to your opponent you can hit 30-29 combos on them. Bring range or melee as a secondary weapon (whichever stat is your strongest) in case they take off armor. Keep maging if they switch to hides and pray magic.

Full (staff and all) Ahrims is the best for this against melee'rs since every time the set effect hits (like once every three spells), their strength goes down ~5 levels at a time.

Now quit whining and go use magic how it's designed to be used

77yLQy8.png

I do so wish that the general public would stop whining about over/underpowered combat stats. Everything has its place - as most have said before me, used correctly magic is amazing.

I'll concede, however, that the pking community does try incredibly hard to make magic bad. What with constant crying about farcasting etc., edge is trying to be made into a solely torso-whip-dds spot, something I find terribly boring. I say get defence, don some mage tank gear and barrage your heart out. You'll find that on its own magic is deadly - especially against a wild who's tried its hardest to get rid of mage so that it can stop bringing hides.

chesssigtexttipitlt0.jpg

Stunning signature created by the one and only My Boggy.

Just like Columbus he gets murderous on purpose

I do so wish that the general public would stop whining about over/underpowered combat stats. Everything has its place - as most have said before me, used correctly magic is amazing.

I'll concede, however, that the pking community does try incredibly hard to make magic bad. What with constant crying about farcasting etc., edge is trying to be made into a solely torso-whip-dds spot, something I find terribly boring. I say get defence, don some mage tank gear and barrage your heart out. You'll find that on its own magic is deadly - especially against a wild who's tried its hardest to get rid of mage so that it can stop bringing hides.

The sad thing is none of them have hides and even after getting their [wagon] kicked they'll come back to fight you again - without hides! They actually think we'll quit "farcasting" them if they complain enough. Idiots.

77yLQy8.png

you're obviously not staking right...with mage stakes you either mage box, or you dont if you mage box you both wear nothing and you use mage to attack them (obviously) this should hit them easily and not only that you can attack with attacks like blood barrage to give you the upper hand over stupider opponents, or to lengthen the fight against clever opponents who use it as well, giving you the chance to turn it around. if you dont, make sure everything is off, but LEAVE MOVEMENT ON and spec on, then you simply mage your opponent, freeze them, run in and pump off a dds spec, then freeze again then run in and dds sopec, this will easily kill them

sigggyjv2.gif

Sig by me....

But is it fair that a person with 90+ mage can get pwned by a melee with 75 str in a close combat?
Mage is meant to prevent your opponent from even coming close to you. Just barrage or entangle, and then fire wave/continue barraging to your heart's content.

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

Yes, being able to freeze people in 9x9 area for 20 seconds and hitting upto 30 is underpowered...

yeah i know, i would hate to see his prob if it was over powered

A wise man once said if we are all gods children then whats so special about jesus

But is it fair that a person with 90+ mage can get pwned by a melee with 75 str in a close combat?
Mage is meant to prevent your opponent from even coming close to you. Just barrage or entangle, and then fire wave/continue barraging to your heart's content.

Its unlikely they'll run out of food before they've managed to spec you a load of times/killed you. Mage can't ko because it doesn't have any spec. Im sticking to my "make dragonhide give negative melee bonus'" stance.

Yes, yes it is. Hence the name of the style: melee. Meaning, up close. Meleers specialize in...well, melee attacks and therefore should win vs mages when fighting up close. Mages have freezes and snares for a reason, so they can win VS melee, and actually STOP melee from even fighting back. No other part of the triangle can PREVENT the enemy from attacking at all. Meleers win vs rangers...but they still have to get hit by arrows at all times. Rangers win vs mages, but they still have to take the hit from the magic, even if they do have good defenses against it.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Its unlikely they'll run out of food before they've managed to spec you a load of times/killed you. Mage can't ko because it doesn't have any spec. Im sticking to my "make dragonhide give negative melee bonus'" stance.

Mage can KO easily if you use certain spells at certain times...

77yLQy8.png

why do people say that hides should give negative bonuses...?

they make you more flexible while protecting you, if anything, it's PLATE that should give the negative, as it's heavy, large, metal. you really shouldn't be able to move that well in something like that.

magic has effects, range has speed, melee has power. it all balances in the end

Some may argue that heavy metallic armour gives you extra weight, and so can add to the force of your attacks. Though I daresay if you try to take advantage of that, most of your attacks would go wide...

Then again, this is a game. A line needs to be drawn between realism and balance, and balance should always be put first. If Warriors are disadvantaged by armours, well that is simply unfair. And it might make pures more common too... so for the sake of balance, dragonhide armour should in fact have negative strength bonuses or something.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

i think mage is just fine i mean when i used to go pking mages would own me and i'm ftp man i remeber this one time....good times goodtimes

But seriously, I will kill you all

I am back for realz this time I promise now that I am a member :p