Is magic too weak??

Magic_Shad3

Although I know Warrior disagrees, I prefer to use standard attacks unless I know the opponent's HP is low enough that I could potentially KO them. If using the combo still won't do enough damage to kill the opponent if it maxes, what's the point?

Unless of course the combo in question is the ice blitz-DFS-obby ring-blood barrage combo, which can potentially bring HP down from 99 to 0 in the space of less than three seconds, and is impossible to block effectively.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard can melee or range hit? Range hits up to 60 with d bolt special; but that's unreliable and the regular hits max around 40. Whip can only hit mid 40s; GS low 60s; DH can hit very high but that requires being at very low hp. Magic hits 60s, is far more accurate than melee or range, and can freeze, poison, drain stats, reduce attack speed, and heal the user.

Combos versus regular hits are like switching weapons for melee. Regular casting hits half as much with twice the speed. Melee has the same type of thing; whip hits half as much as DH and is twice as fast. Would you call a massive hit from DH or a godsword a useless illusion?

The combo effect is an illusion because it appears to hit more than non-combo, but in reality it hits the same damage per time as non-combo.

delay-30-30-delay (Combo, 60 damage.)

delay-30-delay-30 (Non-combo, 60 damage in the same amount of time used. The delays need to be counted too.)

Yes, it's the exact same DPS. It halves attack speed and doubles the max. But like I said; that's (roughly) the same as when comparing a whip to DH. A huge hit from the greataxe is not an illusion, no?

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Ok, the main problem with mage i see is that there is a "delay" for the ko.

For example, lets say someone attacks with darts and ko's with a dark bow or something.

5-5-5-5-5-5-(25-25) or something. There is little delay when you switch.

Now lets assume mage is doing its stuff.

15-15-15-15-delay-(15-20)

So the enemy can see the ko coming, so unlike other weapon switches, he has time to eat.

O.O

How hard can melee or range hit? Range hits up to 60 with d bolt special; but that's unreliable and the regular hits max around 40. Whip can only hit mid 40s; GS low 60s; DH can hit very high but that requires being at very low hp. Magic hits 60s, is far more accurate than melee or range, and can freeze, poison, drain stats, reduce attack speed, and heal the user.

Combos versus regular hits are like switching weapons for melee. Regular casting hits half as much with twice the speed. Melee has the same type of thing; whip hits half as much as DH and is twice as fast. Would you call a massive hit from DH or a godsword a useless illusion?

The combo effect is an illusion because it appears to hit more than non-combo, but in reality it hits the same damage per time as non-combo.

delay-30-delay-30 (Non-combo, 60 damage in the same amount of time used. The delays need to be counted too.)

Yes, it's the exact same DPS. It halves attack speed and doubles the max. But like I said; that's (roughly) the same as when comparing a whip to DH. A huge hit from the greataxe is not an illusion, no?

The special set effect damage of greataxe is higher than the normal damage of it, therefore it is not an illusion if only the special (full set) and normal attacks (non-full set) are compared.

The point is that combo magic is as (under)powerful as non-combo magic. Comboing creates only more hassle.

Archers ARE supposed win against mages and you can freeze meleers so they wouldn't dds spec you. Triangle is fine.

That's the idea that mages have freezing spells to make up for thier weak defense, and it works in non-multicombat, but freezing spells are useless in mutlicombat for this theoretical defense. Even if you freeze a meleer as a mage, there's still the rest of their army and therefore making this theoretical means of defense useless.

solsticeforrv.jpg

Ok, the main problem with mage i see is that there is a "delay" for the ko.

For example, lets say someone attacks with darts and ko's with a dark bow or something.

5-5-5-5-5-5-(25-25) or something. There is little delay when you switch.

Now lets assume mage is doing its stuff.

15-15-15-15-delay-(15-20)

So the enemy can see the ko coming, so unlike other weapon switches, he has time to eat.

Nope. The two most powerful spells, ice barrage and miasmic barrage, both have delays. The opponent has no way of knowing if the caster will follow up with an instant spell or continue casting one of those.

The special set effect damage of greataxe is higher than the normal damage of it, therefore it is not an illusion if only the special (full set) and normal attacks (non-full set) are compared.

The point is that combo magic is as (under)powerful as non-combo magic. Comboing creates only more hassle.

Whip maxes 45 or so at maxed stats. DH can hit 90+, but that requires being at very low hp which is impractical for PvP, so realistically you can only expect to hit 70-80 at best. If DH could hit 90+ consistently at max hp, then it would be indisputably better than the whip for PvP (considering that it's already quite popular).

Regular magic hits 30s at 5 speed. Combos hit 60s at half the speed of regular magic. This is the same as whip versus Dharok's if DH could hit 90+ at max hp. DH is obviously better than whip if it were like that; so clearly combos are better than regular casting.

Archers ARE supposed win against mages and you can freeze meleers so they wouldn't dds spec you. Triangle is fine.

That's the idea that mages have freezing spells to make up for thier weak defense, and it works in non-multicombat, but freezing spells are useless in mutlicombat for this theoretical defense. Even if you freeze a meleer as a mage, there's still the rest of their army and therefore making this theoretical means of defense useless.

Farcasting is pretty much impossible in Worlds/BH anyway. But mage easily outhits melee even without farcasting.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

My only problem with spell combinations is the fact that,unlike special attacks , they are two separate hits. One can eat through combinations,leaving 20 damage not accounted for, but a special will push the healing effects of food to the point after its performed. :(

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

My only problem with spell combinations is the fact that,unlike special attacks , they are two separate hits. One can eat through combinations,leaving 20 damage not accounted for, but a special will push the healing effects of food to the point after its performed. :(

You cannot. You can stack a DFS hit, 2 magic hit and 1 range hit, possibly dealing 105 damage in the time span of 1 splat occuring.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

You cannot. You can stack a DFS hit, 2 magic hit and 1 range hit, possibly dealing 105 damage in the time span of 1 splat occuring.

Haha, that Combo was sooo much fun! Not practical because of the two minute wait, but fun none-the-less.

The TSC is the most reliable high hitting magic combo. I'd love to see some pure pull that off and blow everybody out of the water :lol:

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Thats not realy magic by itself. :|

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

Just magic can hit around 60 or so.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Is a Whip with Karil's Melee by itself?

Picture2-10.png

Indeed, by its self magic has little hope against a mager or meleer in range armour. However by using it with the other combat styles you are a much more effective fighter. The problem is that meleers and rangers (albeit, less so for rangers) get a large ammount of accuracy from a weapon and some jewlery, while mages have to depend on low-defence robes for their accuracy bonuses. However if you gave mages a staff with high accuracy, such as +65, it would be overpowered. A better solution already stated would be to make range equipment give negative melee attack, like armadyl does.

quit

gosh... stop complainin!!!

i have only lv 71 mage, and i can still epicly pown rangers and melers alike,

mage is not underpowered, if your good, and use anchients, throw in a safe spot or two, mix in a mage potion, and bake on high heat for 3-4 hours, you could quite possibly be able to kill some1 in 2-3 hits, and they wouldnt even get near you.

lots of money is tainted, it taint yours, and it taint mine

Yes.

Yes.

Funny, I thought Karil's required 70 Range?

That means the melee has to Range at some point to wear the armor, so it is considered Hybriding, since it's giving them an edge against the triangle.

Picture2-10.png

Magic is very good in minigames, especially crowded ones such as Castle Wars, Soul Wars, Clan Wars, Stealing Creation and the like.

It's also good in combination with range or melee to soften up the target, allowing for an easier K0.

However, using ONLY magic on a pvp situation, your opponents will just eat through your spells (even barrage) and reach you eventually. Farcasting can be done but it's very fragile to farcasters. Not to mention they are beaten by the ever increasing amount of rangers.

Less relevant is how they are very fragile to thievers in Stealing Creation.

Current goals:

Hunter 78/80

Smithing 70/80

Runecrafting 58/60

Strength 96/99

Defense 45/46

Prayer 72/95

Dungeoneering 85/100

Yes.

That means the melee has to Range at some point to wear the armor, so it is considered Hybriding, since it's giving them an edge against the triangle.

I'd consider it tanking.

Using the highly defensive pieces of armor of another class to defy the advantages of the one ment to defeat you.Hes still using melee,which we should some defence against.

Do you consider tank rangers hybrids ?

yaay_1_def.png

siggy2.png

Yes.

I'd consider it tanking.

Using the highly defensive pieces of armor of another class to defy the advantages of the one ment to defeat you.Hes still using melee,which we should some defence against.

Do you consider tank rangers hybrids ?

Do they use items from another corner of the triangle to tweak their advantages? Yes. Is that hybriding? Yes.

Picture2-10.png

I don't think magic itself is weak, it's just that the armor can't hold up against to melee if your opponent can get to you. Even with Ahrims.

Which is why you can freeze, move back, safe spot, and slow weapon speed.

Picture2-10.png

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think magic itself is weak, it's just that the armor can't hold up against to melee if your opponent can get to you. Even with Ahrims.

Which is why you can freeze, move back, safe spot, and slow weapon speed.

And then be hit with dragon claws and downed for max mage. That's the one problem with mage; otherwise it'd be fine alone.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

Magic is like a side arm, its useful incombine with melee + range, you can freeze meleers then shoot a d bow special at them, or rush them with an ags = Very High damage. If you think its weak look at the AoW guide about stacking attacks.

vcz3sx.png

PSN: Skaterguy1224 Tactical Nukes - 22

Do they use items from another corner of the triangle to tweak their advantages? Yes. Is that hybriding? Yes.

Dragonhide armour pieces are defence items. Not ranged. Even though dragonhide armour gives offensive ranged bonus, you must use a ranged weapon to use the bonus. You're not able to inflict ranged damage just with the armour.

To be a hybrid, you must use ATTACKS from at least two different combat styles. Unless you consider a character with armour and a melee weapon to be a hybrid of melee and defence.