A Guide: All Things Muted: Newly Updated!

benar

Here it is, ladies and gents! My newly refurbished guide (which is over a year old now) pertaining to all things mute!

Because these days its much easier being muted, the old guide is pretty much obsolete, so its just easier to start over. The old guide can still be viewed, which actually has even older things in it, and is hidden at the bottom.

You if youre currently muted (not to be confused with mutated), or are interested in protecting yourself against become muted, then read on!

Prevention: Being Smart and Having Self-Control

Though now being muted isnt as bad as it used to be, you dont need to suffer. If youre educated, stay smart, and exert the right amount of control, youll never need to worry about being muted. But, where do we begin? First, lets identify the causes of a mute.

Permanent or temporary, there is one* rule which is known to lead to a mute when broken:

Rule 1: Offensive language - blatantly offensive remarks (such as discrimination) or the use of curse words, whose spelling has been changed in order to bypass the censor.

*Incessant spamming and flooding of the chat window does fall under this category, but isnt offensive language, although it is possible to kill both of these birds with one stone.

In knowing what we might do to merit mutes, we now know what is to be avoided. The challenge is avoiding it, because that takes self control, and in some cases maturity.

The use of offensive may seem like nothing to us these days, but the censor is in place for a reason, and that is to protect certain people from become offended. You cant just assume everybody is able to handle veracious insults and bad words. The censor can also protect YOU when your anger gets out of hand; Jagex has stated directly that there is no need to report starred out (meaning censored) words, because this means the censor has done its job. So try to understand... no matter how many inoffensive things it may tend to block for ridiculous or unknown reasons, the censor is your friend!

If you tend to be a little more malicious in your doings, and you find yourself making up ways to get past the censor, thats where you can get yourself into trouble.

Bypassing the censor is breaking a rule, and thats allowing you to use offensive language. Why would you go this far? Probably anger. So lets work on controlling that raging fire of yours;

- Whatever may be causing you to outburst, remember its just over a game. Swearing at somebody on the internet isnt going to change much.

- Then account for your own freedom of speech. Is this matter worth the risk of being muted?

When it comes to controlling yourself, USE YOUR ABBREVIATIONS! There is no rule against saying wtf!. You could also due with slipping totally irrelevant words in there! I, just as any Tip.iter would, suggest cabbage.

Now, this is not to say that all cursing is derived of anger. It may just be a part of your natural speech; the overuse of slang. This requires you to keep your mouth under control.

Discrimination, on the other hand, does not necessarily require the use of curse words. The fact of the matter is that its for obvious reasons taken very seriously, and if you make a habit of cracking discriminatory jokes (which tend not to be funny), you would be very wise to stop. If you hold certain opinions that express what others view as discrimination, then your best bet is to keep them to yourself and not risk becoming muted.

On the topic of spam... its just annoying, regardless of its content. Dont do; when you flood the chat window youre taking away from others gaming experience and are at risk for a mute.

What else to watch out for

Besides watching your own mouth, you might want to give your surroundings a quick check. Make sure that nobody may be offended by your words, and always be aware of mods!

Next up: what to do if it happens

So here we are at what to do if you do become muted. I will explain what to go about doing if you end up temporarily muted, and how to cope with a permanent mute.

---------------------------------------------------

Temporary Mutes

If one day you log into the game, unaware that you are muted, you will become notified when you try and enter text. You will receive a message in your chat box telling you that you have either been muted temporarily or permanently. You will also have a message waiting in your inbox (confirmation need, I dont know if they still do this). At this point, with a temporary mute, there are two choices you have: stop playing for the duration of your mute and come back when its over, or just keep playing without free speech. The second is the most logical and common choice now, because quick chat is available to all muted players, but that I will cover later on.

So, what to do now? Well, the most important thing you can do is alert all of your friends whom expect to talk to you that youre muted. This can be accomplished though several ways. The most simple would be to contact them through any kind of private messaging system, on the Tip.it Forums, for example. There is also the option of e-mail or a chat room such as AIM. If none of these are available to you and/or your friends, the alternative is to perform emotes infront of a friend until they get it. If they say hi, try the crying emote. Eventually it will hit them, if not immediately.

General interaction should still be easy though, however limited, making use of the otherwise blasphemous quick chat system. You will still be able to have simple conversations, and be able to do player-to-player trades.

Quick chat is activated by pressing enter with nothing entered in your chat box. The main menu that appears holds a variety of different categories to choose from. The major flaw this all holds is that there is no option to state youre muted... ironically.

[hide=Quick Chat info]General

Responses

Hello

Goodbye

Comments

Mood

Smilies

Banter

Compliments

Help

Directions

Activities

General chat includes things like greetings, compliments, requests for help and quick responses to simple questions.

Trade/Items

Trade

Items

Trade/Items covers requests for and information about trades and items.

Skills

All skills have a subsection

Skills covers any common questions or comments you have regarding any RuneScape skills.

Group events

Organizing

Group fighting

Combat minigames

Fun stuff

Quests

Skill-based minigames

Add me, please

You can use the group events chat to arrange expeditions to minigames, the Party Room and so on, as well as getting help in other cooperative activities.

Clans

Queries

Statements

Preparation

The clans section enables you to quickly organize your clan to prepare for events or discuss your clan with other people.

Inter-game

FunOrb

RuneScape

You can use the inter-game chat option to keep in touch with friends on FunOrb, as well as arranging to go off to a minigame or to train your skills together.

Context-sensitive

Subsections vary depending on where you are

Context-sensitive chat depends on your location or what you have been training, and you will notice that it often changes to match whatever your current activities are. It moves you directly to the relevant menu, so you can quickly access appropriate chat options.

Hotkeys

Enter -Opens Quick Chat

Backspace -Goes back to the last menu of options

Home -Returns to the start of the Quick Chat menu

Page Up / Page Down -Scroll through options

F9 -Opens a list of quick responses to other Quick Chat phrases or questions

F10 -Opens context-sensitive menu

F11 -Repeats your last Quick Chat phrase

Escape -Closes Quick Chat

/ then Enter -Opens Clan Quick Chat

(all information taken directly from the Runescape Knowledge Base article on quick chat. Look it up to lean more)[/hide]

Depending on how serious your offense was, and how many black marks you may have already had, you may end up with a permanent mute. This is now where I will explain how to cope, and keep playing even with your limited speech.

---------------------------------------------------

Permanent Mutes: Still a Matter of Survival

(Im still going to be using chunks of the old guide here because its still relevant)

Say that you have maxed out on black marks based on being reported for offensive language. Your next offense could very well be your last. In that case, youre permanently muted. This is a huge shock compared to a temporary one, but if you've read this far, initially youll know what to do; Establish some sort of communication with your friends. The next step is one of the most vital which will make or break your last chance for speech.

Making a good appeal

That step is the appeal. Every permanent mute has the option to appeal, but you only get ONCE CHANCE, so you better make it good. It is best to wait a bit and settle yourself down before you make the appeal. If your mind is still unsettled from the shock, its likely your appeal will consist of pleading and denying your offense. Jagex will not accept an appeal like this. So take a breather and think about what to say.

If this last black mark was caused by someone else in control of your account, then you can point this out in your appeal. If you do so, your account may end up locked and youll have to try using your recovery questions to get it back. Remember that you can always appeal any black mark, but you only have ONE chance.

If your appeal wasnt accepted, your first reaction may be a feeling of helplessness. No matter how bad you may feel, you can't become discouraged. Many will quit playing if this happens or they start a new account. If you plan to then look no further here. Find yourself a beginners guide! However, if your choice is to continue playing your muted account as a main, then you need to act quick to get back on your feet. This means overcoming your handicap. I suggest that most try for at least a little while to keep playing, because it can be done.

The OBVIOUS disadvantages and solutions:

-Limited speech: You still have quick chat, and your emotes. Its not necessary anymore, but you can still use emotes to commune basic thoughts.

-Trading: There is a larger issue with being muted. Sorry, but you cant use the Runescape Forums anymore. If you previously relied on them to do business, youll have to turn to the in-game methods.

1) The easiest and quickest, would be using the Grand Exchange. Everyone knows how its done these days, but I hid the old explanation below from when it was fresh off the shelves.

[hide=GE Info]To sell or buy an item, make your way up to the counter in the center of the GE, and talk to one of the clerks. Access your exchange and you will have six empty boxes. Click on one of them to make an offer. You will be presented with the option to either buy or sell, so choose your option.

If you are selling an item, then you will have to select an item from your inventory. You can increase or decrease the quantity you wish to sell, given that you have that amount. You will then also be able to edit the price you are asking for it. You can set it to the market price, the minimum price, the maximum price, or enter your own price as long as it is within the 5% difference from the market price. Confirm your offer.

To buy items, you will have the option to search. Simply select the glowing magnifying glass icon and then type in your desired item in the chat box. Select it and you can then edit the price. Confirm your offer.

Once you have made and offer, you can do whatever you want. If the transaction does not happen immediately, you must wait for a buyer or seller. This could take a few minutes, a few hours, maybe up to a day. It's all about who's buying/selling what, when, and for how much. If you are making an offer for a common item, or someone happens to be in the market for it, then you could have instant results. But in the meantime, you are free to do what you want to. When your items have been bought or sold, you can return to the exchange or and bank (except the Culinaromancer's chest) to collect your items and/or money.[/hide]

2) The classic way! Stand around a crowded market place and use quick chat (not-so-classic) in order to advertise.

There is something else that may come out of being muted for a long time. BOREDOM. This usually applies to when youre grinding skills and arent able to talk to friends around you, or on private chat. These are obstacles you will have to overcome yourself. If youre determined enough, Im certain you will.

Thats watcha need to know! Im hoping this new guide will help, and Im hoping even more youll try to avoid becoming muted.

As always, if you come across any spelling or grammatical errors here, please point them out to me and Ill fix them immediately.

[hide=The Old and Largely Irrelevant Guide]Please note that the permanent mute section can only guide you through surviving, given that you are a member.)

Hello all. If you're reading this thread, you are probably either muted or even permanently muted in the game. I am permanently muted myself, and have been for a very long time, it has been one year now. This was mostly my fault for losing my temper in some situations and breaking the very easy-to-break rule 1, but I have to say that my final few black marks were unjust. With that said, I have experience being a mute, and I have been able to continue playing Runescape efficiently without main speech. This thread is meant to help you get over your time as a mute, and to help you survive a permanent mute if that is the case...

Temporary mutes

It's not that hard to get reported for breaking rule 1. That's why you should always keep clean language, even amongst friends, because you never know who might be lingering around waiting to report you. A temporary mute can last from one to three days, and even up to a week. Here is what can result from mutes like this.

1.) Your friends will think you have been hacked, or are ignoring them.

2.) People may think you are an autoer for not speaking

3.) You can not buy/sell things in the game

picture4jj3.png

(subtitle: But I'm not ignoring you! I swear!)

There are easy ways to get over these things though. First is to get into contact with your friends in anyway possible and explain to them. Use e-mail, another character of yours, chat rooms, etc. For convincing others that you are not an autoer, you need to do something that a bot cant do but is noticeable. Use emotes, play with your cat, attack something. There are many easy choices. Emotes can also be used to signal certain things to your friends in the direct vicinity, as well as using prayer symbols.

Now, as far as buying and selling items, I will explain that later in the permanent mute section.

The most important thing to do is to let your friends know that you are muted, and to assure them that everything will be fine. During your time as a mute, for however long it is, there are still many things to keep you busy, or you could just not play until your time is up.

Permanent mutes: Survival

Now, lets say that you have maxed out on black marks based on being reported for offensive language. Your next one could be your last. In that very case, you are permanently muted. This is a huge shock compared to a temporary one, but if you've read this far, you'll know what to do at first. Establish some sort of communication with your friends. Until you read your message from Jagex, you wont actually know if it is permanent or not, but if you know that you have alot of black marks, it probably is. This next step is one of the most vital which will make or break your last chance for speech.

Making a good appeal

That step is the appeal. Every permanent mute has the option to appeal, but you only get ONCE CHANCE, so you better make it good. It is best to wait a bit and settle down before you make the appeal. If your mind isn't clear and you only beg and deny your offense then Jagex will not accept the appeal. So settle down for a bit and think about what to say.

If this last black mark was caused by someone else using your account and using foul language, then you can choose that as an option in your appeal. In this case your account will be locked and you will have to try your recovery questions to get it back. Remember that you can always appeal any black mark, but there is only once chance every time.

If your appeal was not accepted, the initial feeling may simply be 'lost'. But you can't get discouraged. If your choice is to continue playing this account as a main, then you have to act quick and get your bearings back. Being permanently muted means one thing since trade is very limited (note that you are permanently banned from the forums too). You must be self-sufficient.

Doing it yourself: self-sufficiency

Being self-sufficient means that you can make your own good amount of money without alot of player/player trade. The best way to do this is fletching and alching. In order to be TOTALLY self-sufficient, you need the skills to get ALL of the raw materials. In this case, you would need to be able to make the kind of bow you are alching, as well as cut the trees, pick the flax, make the strings, mine the rune essence, make the nature runes and finally alch. Ideally, you can get all the raw materials for your trade yourself and then make a 100% profit. However this is very time consuming and takes alot of effort. To get around that, there are several methods to continue whatever you did for money before your mute while still conducting business with other players.

(Read my guide on efficient self sufficiency! Bumps are appreciated.)

viewtopic.php?t=679848

The first method involves very trustworthy, longtime, mature, and over all compassionate friends. This is what you should generally do for the first week or so of your mute. It's simple; have your friends buy and sell things for you. This gets tiring for them though, so don't do it too often.

The second method is what I use the most. Now, you can't use the forums, but you can still read them. The key here is to look for a buyer on the forums by using the search tool. Then log into an account you should have created if you didn't have one at the time of your mute, meant only of communication. Add the buyer and if they are online, state to them that your main is muted, but you would like to sell to them the item they need. If they still need it, then tell them your mains name, meet them and then trade. All the same goes for buying items. This can become frustrating though, as many people may be off-line, or may have already bought/sold the item.

The third method is only good for crowded trade worlds like world 2. This is my least favorite but it always works quickly. First you need to log onto a trade world. Doing this for world 2 is like getting a dragon chain drop from dust devils, but keep trying to get in by refreshing the world select page frequently. Once you are in the next step is simply scouting out a buying/seller of your item. This may take a little time depending on what the item is, so always be prepared to wait around for a bit. Usually things work out quickly, though you may have to sacrifice your preferred price for the item since you can't state what you want for it. However, you can try to get your price across to the other player by putting up the certain amount of coins in the trade window. They will probably get what you mean.

The fourth method is very easy. This involves the newest, and in my opinion one of the most revolutionizing, installments into the game. This is the Grand Exchange. The Grand Exchange is located in Varrock, through the palace gates, northwest up the dirt path, past the fountain, and the entrance should be there. This massive open air building is designed to let you put your items up for sale while you go off and do whatever you want until they are bought. You can also obviously buy items, and wait somewhere else in the same fashion. You can even set a custom price for your items, however there is a maximum and a minimum of a 5% difference from the market price of the item. So, if you are trying to sell and item that costs 100,000gp, this means that means you can sell the item for a maximum of 105,000gp, or a maximum of 95,000gp, since 5,000 is 5% of 100,000.

To sell or buy an item, make your way up to the counter in the center of the building, and talk to one of the clerks. Access your exchange and you will have six empty boxes. Click on one of them to make an offer. You will be presented with the option to either buy or sell, so choose your option.

If you are selling, then you will have to select an item from your inventory. You can increase or decrease the quantity you wish to sell, given that you have that amount. You will then also be able to edit the price you are asking for it. You can set it to the market price, the minimum price, the maximum price, or enter your own price as long as it is within the 5% difference from the market price. Confirm your offer.

To buy items, you will have the option to search. Simply select the glowing magnifying glass icon and then type in your desired item in the chat box. Select it and you can then edit the price. Confirm your offer.

Once you have made and offer, you can do whatever you want. If the transaction does not happen immediately, you must wait for a buyer or seller. This could take a few minutes, a few hours, maybe up to a day. It's all about who's buying/selling what, when, and for how much. If you are making an offer for a common item, or someone happens to be in the market for it, then you could have instant results. But in the meantime, you are free to do what you want to. When your items have been bought or sold, you can return to the exchange or and bank (except the Culinaromancer's chest) to collect your items and/or money.

picture1hj7.png

(subtitle: Why am I standing here? Because method three is a long wait!)

Well, those are the basics on how to survive being muted. Your really only have to know how to make money, and make effective trades as a mute to do it. If you are permanently muted, I am very sorry and hope this helped. For those who are not muted, I hope you will never have to use this information.

"Advantages" of being muted"

- You can't be held for any more offensive language.

- In time, you will come to understand the value of communication, and you will be less likely to take it for granted.

- Your patience will overall improve.

General tips for the muted:

- If accused of being an autoer, try following the person that said it and shaking your head. They might realize that you are muted.

- After a long time of being muted, you may become used to unintentionally ignoring alot of pm messages that you may still receive, so keep an eye out.

- Not being able to take part in conversations can make things very boring when training a non-combat skill. So try reading while you are doing it. This could be a book, or even another web-page. Just pay attention to the game for safety.

- Always use your emotes. Create some kind of code for you and your friends to use so that you can answer simple yes or no questions and even signify a "got to go" or "be right back".

- Remember, you cant use the official Runescape forums, but you can use the Tip.it forums for all of your needs :D

- Remember that YOU can still see what you type and say in game... not that it matters anymore. -.-

- When operating an item that causes scripted speech, like a prayer book, the people around you will be able to see what you say.

- When people start talking to you, because you cant respod, they may say something along the lines of "what a jerk" because they think you are ignoring them. If somebody says hi to you, just use the wave emote to let them know you are muted.

- A tip for those who interact with a muted person; have patience. ::'

- You can still send small messages to your friends! This can be done by using clan chat. Although you can't talk on the chat, you can change your clan name to whatever words you would like. If you let your friend know somehow that you have something to say, have them join your channel, and let them read the name, as you change it to get the message across.

(Thanks for this tip goes to xcowx)

picture2174249wu5.png

Please post below. Comments and ideas are appreciated as well as questions so I can compile a list of FAQ's.[/hide]

Where you can find me: World 91, I keep my private chat on friends, but you may see me wandering around somewhere. Frequently you can find me at castlewars or cutting magic trees at the wizzards tower or the trees north of it, south of Seers village.

picture7eo0.png

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is actually a very decent guide, personallt i didn't know what muted was :-X , but i feel kinda bad for you...

wel some tips, mayby some pics don't know about what and i din't need them but people are generally more atraccted to guides with tips.

and lastly gl with rs on a muted account, i couldn't do it

Scout_ivar.png

Barrows drops: guthan helm x1, torags hammers x1, karils top x1, ahrims staff x1

I would really appreciate it if the people who read the whole guide would post about any spelling or grammar mistakes. Also, if you have any questions please ask them so I can make a list of FAQ's

Suggestions for more guide content is also appreciated. ::'

picture7eo0.png

Great guide, one of my accounts was perm muted for "advertising". I guess I'm not as patient as you though, I started again. :wall:

buy%20some%20ham.gif

runemmage,buy%20some%20ham.gif

farcaster /farr-kaast-stÃÆââ¬Â°Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢r/ n. A derogatory term used by those who don't use magic against those who do. ÃÆââââ‰â¬ÅÃâà see MAGE.

One of my RS friends has been muted for a very long time too.

I'll make sure to drop him this link, he might be able to add something.

All in all, very nice guide. You really described what being a mute is like, I myself thought it wouldn't be that hard :-k

I give it a 7.5/10 \'

It could do with a bit of 'make up'

Oh btw, your grammar is fine :)

Why do we bake cookies, but cook bacon

99/99/80+ looking for monster hunting group

RS07: mb nb

Decent guide.

Just my something to add. When on world 2 and in trades, everybody might as well be muted and it's hard to communicate the price you're asking for. Generally if I already have some money, i'll put up how much I want with the item. It works sometimes if the person you're trading with has half a brain :-w

Lazyboy164 - 126 combat - 16 99's - 2215+ Total

ihavearighthr7.gif

hey atleast you had a purpose to your guide. some of them poster here latley have just been...bllllAh.

kinda helpful cause being muted is really annoying. dont know why but jagex has a funny way of picking there player mods ...

emotes = muteds bff.

*angry* w18 pking "fight?" :mrgreen:

i think ill give this link to a friand who has been perm muted on 14 accounts #-o

as for a new gide............... "making money without triading" with more detialed desctriptions.

Very nice guide. I always have respect for muted players who keep playing; it must be so incredible hard. Another good point of it is; it's the guide first I've ever seen about this topic!

I'm not muted myself but I have a little tip; you can always answer with numbers by trading someone and showing them the amount of stackable item (or banknotes) of the number you want to tell. Works best for the highly used "X Level?"-questions.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif