Halo Discussion thread

foxbat9

Jun sacrificed himself in order to save Dr. Halsey. This can be read in the new issue of either Fall of Reach or FIrst Strike. Can't remember.

It doesn't specify it was Jun, but it's highly likely as it said something among the lines of "killing the demon protecting a female human of high importance" or something. That can still be incorporated into the game. They can even break canon by having Thel doing it, since they already did that with the PoA at drydock.

vizardsig-1.png

Topview of my map formely known as Deridged. I changed the name to Abyssus.

DeridgedWeaponPlacement.png

Need any play testers? :D

Also, i'd change the grenade launcher for a shotgun, nobody will be fighting over that main podium otherwise, especially as they already have access to the better concussion rifle.

2v8sgvs.png

Concussion Rifle better than the Grenade Launcher? What've you been smoking? Besides, the middle isn't only a platform to fight over the GL but also quite a good place to control in order to win.

I was thinking about removing the Concussion Rifles anyway, because they're really annoying to fight against.

I'm thinking about playtesting the map with some people over at NeoGAF, but I can't post there yet so I don't know exactly when that could happen.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

Concussion Rifle better than the Grenade Launcher? What've you been smoking? Besides, the middle isn't only a platform to fight over the GL but also quite a good place to control in order to win.

I was thinking about removing the Concussion Rifles anyway, because they're really annoying to fight against.

I'm thinking about playtesting the map with some people over at NeoGAF, but I can't post there yet so I don't know exactly when that could happen.

I'd be happy to help if you need.

And both the GL and concussion rifles are 2 shot kills, the concussion rifle is automatic making it easier to kill enemies if you have a bit of skill. The GL is great as a support weapon though due to the EMP with vehicles.

2v8sgvs.png

I'll halp if you still need testers. GT: iamdamanbaby 1

Hey, I thought it HAD to be 15 characters <_<

Also, if anyone's interested, I could use some testers for a map of my own. Given its nature, it needs SERIOUS balance adjustments.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Link to Strafe:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14160230&player=iamdamanbaby%201

The main point of the map is a race to the Falcon in the middle, which will give a quick team a big advantage. It's symmetrical, and has turrets to help make life a little harder for the Falcon. Meant to be played with a DMR start in regular sized teams of two.

I also DLed Abyssus, and I have to say I REALLY like it. Like as in, I really hope we can get a TIF game going on it. I like how the vehicles can get access to every area of the map, so that the vehicles and Spartan v. Spartan combat is COMBINED with the vehicle combat, rather than having them take place in separate areas of the map.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

So I checked Strafe just now and I immediately saw that the layout is a bit screwed up. It's nearly symmetrical but there are some pretty big differences which should be fixed.

I think the problems started here:

strafe1.jpg

strafe2.jpg

As you can see, both sides aren't the same. This means that the rest of the map can't be symmetrical either as seen below:

strafe3.jpg

strafe4.jpg

strafe5.jpg

strafe6.jpg

In the end it made for a pretty weird top level:

strafe7.jpg

I suggest you straighten out those flaws by precisely placing every object. Make every object on one side be at the exact same place on the other side. It's really essential.

Besides this, I think it could make for a really nice map. There are plenty of 'dance-floors' to fight in and it has an interesting lay-out. I don't know for sure if the Falcon would work really well, but I guess you can only find out about that once you've played it with 4 vs 4.

Thanks!

I realized a bit ago that it was screwed up in some places (mostly the ramp to the helipad on the blue side), but as you said, it affected the entire map. I don't know where to start :unsure:

Anyway, there's soft kill boundaries so the Falcon can't go very far. The idea is that the Falcon has to fly around the map and keep firing, while the team unlucky enough to miss the chance have a range of anti-air weapons to take it down (currently just the various turrets and a grenade launcher located at the center of the dish).

As you said, we'll have to wait until there's a real 4v4 game to find out if it really works or not. Thanks for the constructive criticism :razz:

Edit: Thanks so much for pointing out the origin of the problem! Fixed it starting from there, worked upwards, and now it looks much better.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

After a testmatch with some people over at NeoGAF I decided to make some changes to Abyssus. The main complaints were that the map was too focused on the middle with little reason to go to the sides of the map. The sides weren't in any way appealing to go to mainly because of the lack of cover.

That's why I've made some changes to the sides and some other minor changes here and there.

Here's you can see a small structure I made to get people to the sides. It provides people with a decent amount of cover and it also has an overshield at the back which respawns every 2 minutes.

abyssus8.jpg

abyssus2.jpg

Here's the other side:

abyssus10.jpg

abyssus4.jpg

I've changed this side a bit more to balance things out a bit:

abyssus6.jpg

abyssus1.jpg

And here are the mancannons which will shoot you towards to side structures for easy access:

abyssus7.jpg

abyssus5.jpg

And lastly I decided to remove the portable shields on top of the centre structure and move them to the outer buildings. That way the middle is a bit harder to defend.

abyssus9.jpg

abyssus3.jpg

Also, I've removed the Warthogs. I'm not entirely sure if I want them in the map or not but for now they're out. I did, though, try to keep the map a bit open for vehicle movement.

I'll hope to test it any time soon again to check if the changes have had any effect.

I'm happy to help if anyone wants testing, and I definetly like the sound of a TIF match, my gamertag is Keizer112 if you want me :)

I should go get a private email account and sign up to NEOGaf then if I want to take this map building of mine seriously.

2v8sgvs.png

Just got a perfection in BTB snipers and the next game went 31-1.

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

I'm happy to help if anyone wants testing, and I definetly like the sound of a TIF match, my gamertag is Keizer112 if you want me :)

I should go get a private email account and sign up to NEOGaf then if I want to take this map building of mine seriously.

I've registered about 6 months ago on NeoGAF but my account hasn't been approved yet. So you might be in for quite a wait.

I've registered about 6 months ago on NeoGAF but my account hasn't been approved yet. So you might be in for quite a wait.

Damn.

Anyone online now fancy going for the weekly challenge?

2v8sgvs.png

I honestly cannot be bothered to do the weekly. In the time it takes to do I could have done enough matches to get twice as much credits. I did the WC challenge because you could skip through half the level, but here I can barely even get past the first bit on Legendary, let alone LASO. >_>

Many believe that the 1980 eruption of Mt. Saint Helens was a catostrophic geological event, in reality it was the day that Jimi Hendrix returned to Earth from the next world and actually stood up next to a mountain and chopped it down with the edge of his hand.

-Random Youtuber

It's not all about the credits. It's really fun to do and a lot less frustrating than the last part of Winter Contingency. We never really got stuck at a certain point and the difficulty of it all made us search through the whole level for med-kits and ammo. And I think ONI is one of the best levels Reach has to offer. All in all it was a surprisingly pleasant experience. I hope they'll do more of these kind of challenges.

Winter Contingency... That the sniper level thing they had a challenge on a while ago?

I actually did that, though I'm not spectacular at Halo. I believe there was some sort of thing you could do to avoid the effect of Iron... Though I can't quite remember what it was.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Oooh right. As I said, not an expert. :P

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=14368159&player=iamdamanbaby%201

Vid of a 4v4 game on Strafe, if anyone wants to make suggestions based on it. We had fun, but everyone agreed it needed work.

Pros:

-Race to Falcon and subsequent battle worked better than expected.

-Attackers could just as easily fall from above, as jump from around a corner.

Cons:

-Not enough ways to take down the Falcon.

-Being a vertical map, everyone used Jetpacks.

-Limited choice of weapons.

-Too few DMR spawns.

-Sometimes a hitchhiker gets on the gun of an enemy Falcon.

Things I want to change:

-Add health packs.

-More DMR's.

-More weapons, for ground fights and against the Falcon.

-Removal of base loadouts. Could lead to AA placements.

-May replace shade turrets with something else. Their usefulness was questionable.

-A solution for the hitchhiker problem.

-Reduced Falcon spawntime.

-Fix kill boundaries.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png