Why do blacks get special treatment?

darkmage099

Oh my god. They have scholarships for everything. Some schools even give them out for no reason. So what if they have one for black people? It's like giving a scholarship to someone who is amazing at tennis. They can't help that they're good at the sport. The only difference is nobody gets mad if tennis players can get scholarships that normal people can't.

Also, I remember hearing somewhere that there are more black people in jails than in colleges. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, then there's some more grounds to have a scholarship for them.

1. Your analogy fails because being good at tennis is a merit. You aren't born being good at tennis. You have to work at it.

2. If you had read the thread, the second part has been refuted.

What I'm trying to say is that scholarships should be based on merits not something as insignificant as the color of your skin.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are thousands of scholarships. There's a scholarships for people that are left handed. Do you have to work for that? No. Why don't you complain about that too? Who gives a crap if they want to give the money to black people? It's their money and they can do with it what they damn well please. It's none of your business who they give it to. Just apply for other scholarships and stfu about it, seriously. When you get money, if you only want to give it to a certain group of people, then you do that. You can't tell them what to do with their money.

By the way, you have to do more than just be black to get the schloarships, I'm sure. They're probably for African Americans that meet certain academic standards, so they do have to work for it just like everyone else.

There are thousands of scholarships. There's a scholarships for people that are left handed. Do you have to work for that? No. Why don't you complain about that too? Who gives a crap if they want to give the money to black people? It's their money and they can do with it what they damn well please. It's none of your business who they give it to. Just apply for other scholarships and stfu about it, seriously. When you get money, if you only want to give it to a certain group of people, then you do that. You can't tell them what to do with their money.

By the way, you have to do more than just be black to get the schloarships, I'm sure. They're probably for African Americans that meet certain academic standards, so they do have to work for it just like everyone else.

I'm saying its racist and contradicting what America tries to preach. If you have something that refutes that, say so. If not GTFO.

dmanxb7.jpg

If you think it's racist, then maybe you should have payed a little more attention in history class. Have you ever heard of the Brown v. The Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas case?

Yeah...your point?

dmanxb7.jpg

You don't know why the ruling was made, obviously. The ruling was made because it was proven that segregation caused irreparable damage to the black students, because their facilities, etc. weren't as good as the whites.

The key thing here is irreparable damage. This means that the generations before were also done irreparable damage. This was essentially a fault of the government for allowing segregation in the first place. While giving away scholarships to black people won't undo the damage done (nothing could do that), it does help. The point still stands that black people in America are still effected by what happened then. The government and other people know this and they make attempts at compensation by offering extra benefits to black people.

You don't know why the ruling was made, obviously. The ruling was made because it was proven that segregation caused irreparable damage to the black students, because their facilities, etc. weren't as good as the whites.

The key thing here is irreparable damage. This means that the generations before were also done irreparable damage. This was essentially a fault of the government for allowing segregation in the first place. While giving away scholarships to black people won't undo the damage done (nothing could do that), it does help. The point still stands that black people in America are still effected by what happened then. The government and other people know this and they make attempts at compensation by offering extra benefits to black people.

How is it irreparable? The generations after those students just integrate with the rest of the people. How does giving them money INTEGRATE them? If anything, it segregates them more. The government is wrong by being anti-racist which is in turn racist.

dmanxb7.jpg

The damage is irreparable because black people weren't really given the means to get as good an education as the the white people. This put black people behind white people when it came to education (as if slavery hadn't already done that enough). This also put black people behind white people when it came to finances (again, as if slavery hadn't done that enough) because they could obtain better jobs easier since they have a better education. If you're inefficiently schooled, the damage done is irreparable. You can't go back in time, once it's done, it's done. You can't all of a sudden try to teach people things that they should have learned years ago, it doesn't even make sense.

The scholarships aren't to integrate people, they're to try to level the uneven filed that black people were placed on due to things in the past.

All that being said, I do understand how this can be interpreted as being racist.

The damage is irreparable because black people weren't really given the means to get as good an education as the the white people.

I dont know if you noticed this but what you said was in past tense; that makes all the difference.

This put black people behind white people when it came to education (as if slavery hadn't already done that enough). This also put black people behind white people when it came to finances (again, as if slavery hadn't done that enough) because they could obtain better jobs easier since they have a better education.

That's based on the assumption that all black people are in that situation. Someone previously posted that it should be done by salary. You should look into that because that is a more effective solution to the problem you state.

If you're inefficiently schooled, the damage done is irreparable. You can't go back in time, once it's done, it's done. You can't all of a sudden try to teach people things that they should have learned years ago, it doesn't even make sense.

Yes, but you can have children. They SHOULD have a better life than you did. Eventually, history will take its course and blacks will be financially equal to whites. In fact, that's already happening.

MY family came form a dirt poor nation. My grandfather was abandoned as a child in the streets of India. My parents were both born in East Africa. They had mediocre education; at least better than my grandparents'. We moved to Canada. My parents went to college for 2 years each. Now, because of their hard work, they both make 6 figures and expect me to go to college to an upwards of four years.

This is an example of how history is supposed to work. That is what should happen to the blacks! You dont need to give them money because they are black.

The scholarships aren't to integrate people, they're to try to level the uneven filed that black people were placed on due to things in the past.

All that being said, I do understand how this can be interpreted as being racist.

It is blatant racism.

dmanxb7.jpg

Your parents were exceptional, we both know that isn't what happens in most cases. :P

I also agree that it should probably be done by salary, to make it more fair and directly address the actual point which is helping people that come from poor backgrounds.

The damage is irreparable because black people weren't really given the means to get as good an education as the the white people. This put black people behind white people when it came to education (as if slavery hadn't already done that enough). This also put black people behind white people when it came to finances (again, as if slavery hadn't done that enough) because they could obtain better jobs easier since they have a better education. If you're inefficiently schooled, the damage done is irreparable. You can't go back in time, once it's done, it's done. You can't all of a sudden try to teach people things that they should have learned years ago, it doesn't even make sense.

You are saying that once you are in a class, such as being poor because your great-grandparents couldn't go to college and get a good job, does not mean that you cannot move between classes. You are saying that since you're born in a class then you're stuck there, and while you might be at a small disadvantage, there is nothing stopping you from moving between the classes.

We aren't in India, you know. :P

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

You're point?? They also have scholarships for Germans, Canadians, Australians, and any other ethnicity you can think of.

Actually they don't...Not in American SAT anyway. Which is really the point; why do some races get a little extra consideration?

I'm sure it's been said before, but it's to equalize the relative numbers of African Americans (blacks seems vaguely offensive somehow) with professional careers.

It's not like they're "handing them money", the money in scholarships promotes higher education. And I doubt this scholarship actually helps much more than getting into any college possible, I seriously doubt you could get into Harvard or something relying on these scholarships alone.

And don't they already have scholarships for those with low salaries?

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

African Americans (blacks seems vaguely offensive somehow)

Calling them African American is a lie.

It's brutally simple actually. They are descended from Africa, but are otherwise completely American. Same goes for others, like Asian American or Native American.

I dislike "black" because it emphasizes on distinguishing groups by their skin color. It may be accepted as norm, but I usually don't use it in public places, but maybe to my black friends who are used to it.

It's brutally simple actually. They are descended from Africa, but are otherwise completely American. Same goes for others, like Asian American or Native American.

I dislike "black" because it emphasizes on distinguishing groups by their skin color. It may be accepted as norm, but I usually don't use it in public places, but maybe to my black friends who are used to it.

That's assuming they are all American and descended from Africa. You may say the ALL are? But according to the out-of-Africa and independent development (not sure if that's the official term), we are ALL descended from Africa. It makes more sense to group them into the ONE thing they have in common rather than a general area of origin.

I dont see how you get offended by black...people call white people white people all the time. I've never seen a white person "up in arms" about that.

dmanxb7.jpg

To answer the original poster:

I'm guessing that it's some form of chivalry. However, this can be controversial because giving benefits to minorities can be seen in two different ways:

1. "You're a minority and we want to promote it."

2. "You're weak and you can't do anything without our help."

The first example would be chivalry, but the second would be arrogance.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

That's assuming they are all American and descended from Africa. You may say the ALL are? But according to the out-of-Africa and independent development (not sure if that's the official term), we are ALL descended from Africa. It makes more sense to group them into the ONE thing they have in common rather than a general area of origin.

I dont see how you get offended by black...people call white people white people all the time. I've never seen a white person "up in arms" about that.

Don't get so technical, you know what I mean. If you lived in another country and come to America, then it goes "[insert country] American". It doesn't have the slightest bit to do with anthropology. And yes I mean they all are...If a 100 people came from Africa, doesn't mean "they all are" African? At least that's what I think you're saying.

And seeing that I'm not black myself, I don't get offended. I said it sounds offensive, or at least not the best kind of nomenclature. Referring to races by their skin color seems primitive and like a step backward. I suppose there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with it, but it's just a personal taboo.

• 3 months later...