Is it worth the wait ?/ Is it legal?

Aslan

I heard two of my classmates..talking about credit cards.One of them is getting a credit card of it's own, and i asked him if he could use his credit card to pay for membership(i will be giving him exactly 5$ not a cent more or less).IS IT LEGAL(will Jagex allow this)?.

I can get my own credit card in march.So i was wondering:

Is it worth the wait ?/ Is it legal?

Someone can pay for you're subscription legally, infact I'd be willing to bet over 75% of Runescape members have theirs payed by their parents. HOWEVER if the person paying is paying monthly automaticly they have full rights to revoke the payment, which should be quite obvious.

As for if you should wait, it's you're choice. It's not like if you friend buys members for you now you can't buy it for yourself later on, it's simply a matter of wether you can be bothered getting him/her to pay it for you.

Lastly, it's actually a bit over 5 dollars from what I remember (like 6-10 depending on how you pay, pay by phone being on of the most expensive and credit card the least. That's in Aussie dollars).

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

hmm if u trust him/her then u should. with credit card details he/she may be able to access your account through recovery questions + credit card details. so it is entirely up to the degree of friendship and trust you have with ur friend id say 8-)

f8alstrik3r.png

f8alstrik3r.png

9,190th to 99 WoodCutting - 10/11/07

24,262nd to 99 Magic - 30/1/09

hmm if u trust him/her then u should. with credit card details he/she may be able to access your account through recovery questions + credit card details. so it is entirely up to the degree of friendship and trust you have with ur friend id say 8-)

Yeah, it should be legal, except you better make sure he is really your friend.

kingtut3.png

I believe one of Jagex's terms and conditions is "Membership must be payed on behalf of yourself or a member of your immediate family". So from that, technically no it isn't legal. But hey, how would Jagex know? :wink:

Well I told him to make an account to see what the game looks like.He did but quited right after tutorial island :D ...he is more into graphics than gameplay...what can I say.Membership looks very tempting..but I wouldn't want to cause any trouble not to me nor to him

Technically no. When you sign up there is an option that you check that says "yes I am making a payment from my immediate family". Also can be considered real world item trading to an extent. I'm not trying to scare you into being scared every time you log in, just answering your question.

Though it really doesn't matter as Jagex gets money legally, and you get membership.

randomkcopyq.png

You are not supposed to pay for anyone who is not a member of your immediate family.

The reason Jagex doesn't allow it is that it makes credit card fraud too easy.

Example:

A Runescape membership is purchased with the credit card of your friend/unknowing parent/other third party.

You play for 30 to 45 days.

Your friend/unknowing parent/other third party gets the credit card bill, sees the charge to Jagex and charges back the transaction, claiming they did not authorize it.

Jagex loses $5 to $7.50.

Jagex bans your account and bans you until you pay them the money you owe.

=====

Or consider this:

Your friend turns out to be a true friend and pays for your account until March. You then get your own credit card and want to take over payment.

So you change the subscription information to your name, billing address and credit card number.

Jagex now bans you for account trading, since it looks to them as you are taking the account from someone else. They likely also ban your friend, who is still paying for his own account with the old credit card number (and yes, they can check their records for payment details).

There are other ways you can get burned on this, though I hope these two scenarios will be enough to convince you.

What you are wanting to do is not legal, whether or not your friend has good intentions. And that's why it's against Jagex' rules.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Yes, waiting would be the best thing (and the legal thing) to do.

From Runscape Billing FAQ:

Can I pay for someone else?

You can only do this if the person you are paying for is a member of your immediate family. This is necessary to help us detect fraud. Ignoring this warning could result in any associated accounts being banned.

If you wish to purchase membership for someone outside of your family, we recommend you give them the money to allow them to directly purchase the membership for their account.

K_G_Is_Me.png

If you play by a Friend's credit card, You'd have to have his card number, and other information. I wouldn't try it, I'd use a relative that I know much about First.

However, the judgement towards it is your own. I'm not trying to make you reconsider it, It's just my oppinion. But, If you're above 17 and have a Job to actualy pay, mabey.

<3: O'Ducky

~ HYT Chat Rules (Click Here): Read before entering the chat. ~

dztf80.jpg

| Former Clan Chronicle Editor | Former Clan Improvement Member| Former TET Member |

It's legal yes, but it is also against the rules. Someone alredy quoted it, you must eathier pay yourself, or it must be a member of your immediate family ie: Mom, Dad, brother, sister. Aunts, uncles, grandparents im not sure about, there not strictly immediate, but many are family by blood. Would they ever be able to tell? I think they might if the card and your last name dont match. Its worth the wait if it means not being banned.

Or consider this:

Your friend turns out to be a true friend and pays for your account until March. You then get your own credit card and want to take over payment.

So you change the subscription information to your name, billing address and credit card number.

Jagex now bans you for account trading, since it looks to them as you are taking the account from someone else. They likely also ban your friend, who is still paying for his own account with the old credit card number (and yes, they can check their records for payment details).

There are other ways you can get burned on this, though I hope these two scenarios will be enough to convince you.

What you are wanting to do is not legal, whether or not your friend has good intentions. And that's why it's against Jagex' rules.

This is crap. I use Visa Gift Cards, and Iv switched cards before, never dropping membership, and Iv yet to have a problem.

Overall, I think you will be fine. If your friend is trustworthy enough, I doubt he will do anything.

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Or consider this:

This is crap. I use Visa Gift Cards, and Iv switched cards before, never dropping membership, and Iv yet to have a problem.

Overall, I think you will be fine. If your friend is trustworthy enough, I doubt he will do anything.

Visa Gift Cards are very different to someone's personal credit card. Gift Cards are essentially cash that can be spent over the internet. You have already spent the money to get it. A credit card is where you are incurring expenses which you haven't yet paid for.

Gift cards are completely logical to accept on any account, credit cards are not for reasons mentioned in the post you quoted and other posts above.

Jagex rules clearly state that you shouldn't pay for another players membership, unless they are immediate family.

WARNING: Prone to ramble ... but you probably already know that!

truffoo.png

1% F2P : 99% RL

my advice: either do it via moneytransfer or:

wait until you get your own credit card AND train your skills ready for membership, earn some cash, get some resources,... (first thing I did when I became member, was using all normal logs I saved up in a few days to get 35fletch in about an hour)

I am getting range, attack,defence, strenght and mining(which i did) to 70.

I am going for my 1st milion so i have the money to start playing in members.I have lvl 45 runecrafting,so i can make nature runes :D ,as they are hard to get in f2p(unless from wilderness ).That should help me perform well while in members.