Is God real post your thoughts!

Joes_So_Cool

I thought you didn't believe a man named Jesus Christ ever existed. How would He, then, have said that?

That's a stupid argument. Nice attempt to dodge that your argument was completely baseless. You obviously believe that he is real, so I refuted it on the assumption that he is. If he exists, he would have been extremely contradictory, which is even more proof against his existence.

If I said that Odysseus existed, and furthermore said that he stated that "I do not exist", would you not rightly challenge that supposed statement by him as ridiculous?

If I stated that Odysseus was a peaceful man and never harmed anyone, then in the Iliad it mentions that he did, would you challenge that? Of course.

Again, moronic argument.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. Thanks for calling my argument moronic when you weren't being clear, though. I figured, eight pages of you railing against the existence of a man wouldn't stop suddenly.

I don't get why your post after mine on how I don't think messiahs really want all that fame and names contradicts itself, though. You're quoting the New Testament (and taking everything literally, which I don't do) about how other people say Jesus is a messiah and such, with a few quotes that say He said this, and at the end speak of how He couldn't have.

Please, choose to stick with one stance or clarify yourself before you go calling everyone stupid. If this thread (once again) falls into worthless namecalling, I'll be pissed.

(At least he does use Biblical quotes...)

Aaaaanyways. I'll clarify myself. I wasn't trying to start an argument with thousands of useless quotes. I'm talking about how I think He might have thought.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Oh. Thanks for calling my argument moronic when you weren't being clear, though. I figured, eight pages of you railing against the existence of a man wouldn't stop suddenly.

I don't get why your post after mine on how I don't think messiahs really want all that fame and names contradicts itself, though. You're quoting the New Testament (and taking everything literally, which I don't do) about how other people say Jesus is a messiah and such, with a few quotes that say He said this, and at the end speak of how He couldn't have.

Please, choose to stick with one stance or clarify yourself before you go calling everyone stupid. If this thread (once again) falls into worthless namecalling, I'll be pissed.

(At least he does use Biblical quotes...)

Aaaaanyways. I'll clarify myself. I wasn't trying to start an argument with thousands of useless quotes. I'm talking about how I think He might have thought.

I'm assuming that he 1) existed and 2) wasn't a liar. He said he was the Messiah several times. This shows that he knew/thought/fantasized of being the Messiah(should he have existed).

Your point about not wanting fame is probably true; but according to the bible he says that HE IS the Messiah.

I called your argument stupid, not you. :)

Do I need to pepper all of my statements with disclaimers? Isn't it obvious that I don't think Jesus existed?

If you think that your holy book is "useless" and "not literal" why follow it? I'm honestly interested, I could never figure out how non-literal theists justify themselves. I can understand fundamentalists, even though they make zero sense and are obviously very sheltered, but non-literal translation of the bible just doesn't make any sense.

Please, explain what he meant when someone called him the Messiah, and he says "I am the one of whom you speak".

It's literally impossible to get through to theists without making assumptions that they're text is true, because otherwise all you can do is say "it's hogwash" then they say no, ad nauseum.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

Okay, I think we both came off a little too hostile to each other. I see your apology, here's mine. Fair enough.

Now, here's something I should clear up that you've probably noticed: I'm not a typical Christian - maybe I'm not even a Christian any more, although I do pray to God and Jesus. I don't consider the Bible my holy book any more than Jurassic Park. Although it is a holy book, hence it's high on my reading list. Plus, unless you're literally debating parts of the Bible, I find using it useless because it is so flawed.

But, I will try to continue this as best I can, although it's hard to debate such a point when there literally isn't proof.

Anyways. There are plenty of reasons that I can think of, although they aren't particularly logical or prove-able. Certainly a lot of people who'd heard of Him before would call him that. Maybe He didn't want to explain to thousands of people that He didn't want to be worshiped or followed like a God.

Perhaps He realized how dark the times He taught during were, and noticed how the people that met Him had quite a lot of hope. A new messiah meant change for them, and Jesus didn't want to crush that hope.

Of course, I believe Jesus saw the universe much different than we do. I believe He could hear the voices of the dead and the living, and vaguely see the future - maybe remember would be the proper word. I do believe He knew how He would die, too. Perhaps He thought it best for people to think He was a messiah, and the Son of God.

Then there's always the possibility He was insane and thought He was the Son of God. But, plenty of crazy people have done good for the world.

Augh, now I have to do geometry. Fare thee well.

Okay, I think we both came off a little too hostile to each other. I see your apology, here's mine. Fair enough.

Now, here's something I should clear up that you've probably noticed: I'm not a typical Christian - maybe I'm not even a Christian any more, although I do pray to God and Jesus. I don't consider the Bible my holy book any more than Jurassic Park. Although it is a holy book, hence it's high on my reading list. Plus, unless you're literally debating parts of the Bible, I find using it useless because it is so flawed.

But, I will try to continue this as best I can, although it's hard to debate such a point when there literally isn't proof.

Anyways. There are plenty of reasons that I can think of, although they aren't particularly logical or prove-able. Certainly a lot of people who'd heard of Him before would call him that. Maybe He didn't want to explain to thousands of people that He didn't want to be worshiped or followed like a God.

Perhaps He realized how dark the times He taught during were, and noticed how the people that met Him had quite a lot of hope. A new messiah meant change for them, and Jesus didn't want to crush that hope.

Of course, I believe Jesus saw the universe much different than we do. I believe He could hear the voices of the dead and the living, and vaguely see the future - maybe remember would be the proper word. I do believe He knew how He would die, too. Perhaps He thought it best for people to think He was a messiah, and the Son of God.

Then there's always the possibility He was insane and thought He was the Son of God. But, plenty of crazy people have done good for the world.

Augh, now I have to do geometry. Fare thee well.

Why, then, do you believe Jesus is the Son of God and pray to him? And who are you to guess what Jesus' or God's intentions were? How do you know God so personally? Does he answer your prayers with fluent speech?

You obviously acknowledged the possibility that Jesus was insane. Why do you believe he can hear the voices of the dead and remember the future? I simply don't understand why you believe any of this if not for the Bible...

noobs crowding hill giants? not on my watch

Behold! The "Atheists Nightmare": Bananas Prove That God Exist

...Says Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort, two evangelicals who designed a Christian program called 'Way of the Master.'

We must be scared, very scared...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

...Says Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort, two evangelicals who designed a Christian program called 'Way of the Master.'

That was quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever seen. :lol:

In other words, you believe in the creation of the universe by an all-powerful being but he does not interfire in our lives in any way and there is no way we could possibly ever understand that god. That's fine to believe; many people don't see how the Big Bang could have occurred without that god.

I personally believe that the universe has always existed and will always continue to exist. There is no beginning or end of time.

Haven't they proven now that the expansion of the universe is speeding up and looks like it will continue to do so forever?

OT I know but I'm just making sure I'm not misinformed.

I've heard that as well. It was on NASA's site, I believe. I believe they said that they were able to pretty much tell what shape the universe was (spherical) and they found this out by calculating the average amount of atoms that occupy a unit of space. They said space wasn't a perfect vacuum. Anyway, the shape of the universe that they have come to the conclusion with supposedly means that the universe will expand forever (whether than expand to a certain point and collapse in on itself due to gravity from all of the galaxies). Is this anything similar to what you have seen in an article somewhere?

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Doesn't the influence of gravity stretch infinitely across time and space?

Wouldn't the outward forces of all celestial bodies, in time, be overcome by their attraction to each other?

Sure, it'd take trillions of years, but still.

But I don't want to go among mad people!

Oh, you can't help that. We're all mad here..."

Haven't they proven now that the expansion of the universe is speeding up and looks like it will continue to do so forever?

I've heard that as well. It was on NASA's site, I believe. I believe they said that they were able to pretty much tell what shape the universe was (spherical) and they found this out by calculating the average amount of atoms that occupy a unit of space. They said space wasn't a perfect vacuum. Anyway, the shape of the universe that they have come to the conclusion with supposedly means that the universe will expand forever (whether than expand to a certain point and collapse in on itself due to gravity from all of the galaxies). Is this anything similar to what you have seen in an article somewhere?

I read somewhere, I think it was on either ESA or NASA that some physicists had found out, by measuring distance between galaxies or something that the expansion of the Universe was speeding up.. and that eventually everything will be so far apart it will be as if there is NOTHING.

Hey.

First off: Kirk Cameron is [developmentally delayed]. Second: lol. I have to admit, some Christians have really stupid theories about why god exists. Kinda like, someone may have a theory about why gravity exists, gravity is there, but their theory is [developmentally delayed]ed.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I read somewhere, I think it was on either ESA or NASA that some physicists had found out, by measuring distance between galaxies or something that the expansion of the Universe was speeding up.. and that eventually everything will be so far apart it will be as if there is NOTHING.

This is correct. The universe is not only expanding, but accelerating. This is where the big bang theory comes from. If you reverse this process, it all comes back to a single point. Hence, the beginning of space/time.

Physics major in da hizzaouousoussoueee

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Oh, don't start about Physics, I studied 4 hours for a test, had all 15 formulas memorized, and could recite in a heartbeat, and on the test he didn't ask for a single one, of the use of one, it was stuff like "what does the slope of a velocity time graph mean" ugh.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

Does that mean you do believe in the Big Bang, or don't?

Cyclic theories of the universe more often than not incorporate the big bang into them. There's nothing to say that this isn't possible as far as I can tell.

I was just wondering since he appears to believe in the Steady-State theory. That means he doesn't believe the Big Bang happened, right?

Oh, don't start about Physics, I studied 4 hours for a test, had all 15 formulas memorized, and could recite in a heartbeat, and on the test he didn't ask for a single one, of the use of one, it was stuff like "what does the slope of a velocity time graph mean" ugh.

What the [bleep] does that have to do with anything?

Hey.

That's a stupid argument. Nice attempt to dodge that your argument was completely baseless. You obviously believe that he is real, so I refuted it on the assumption that he is. If he exists, he would have been extremely contradictory, which is even more proof against his existence. If I said that Odysseus existed, and furthermore said that he stated that "I do not exist", would you not rightly challenge that supposed statement by him as ridiculous?

If I stated that Odysseus was a peaceful man and never harmed anyone, then in the Iliad it mentions that he did, would you challenge that? Of course.

Again, moronic argument.

So... People are actually debating whether or not Jesus actually existed? He did. Good luck proving he didn't.

Nothing really. What does your post have to do with anything?

That's a stupid argument. Nice attempt to dodge that your argument was completely baseless. You obviously believe that he is real, so I refuted it on the assumption that he is. If he exists, he would have been extremely contradictory, which is even more proof against his existence. If I said that Odysseus existed, and furthermore said that he stated that "I do not exist", would you not rightly challenge that supposed statement by him as ridiculous?

Again, moronic argument.

So... People are actually debating whether or not Jesus actually existed? He did. Good luck proving he didn't.

Is flinging the burden of proof onto people the only debating tactic you know of?