Tip.It gave me a virus!!!!!

War_Junky_91

When using Limewire correctly, you don't have to get virusses.

And I think it's safe to say that Tip.It doesn't give you any malware.

When using IE you might get a pop up.

So explain to us then, how do you use a P2P client "correctly"?... Downloading anything online, even through a P2P client you thought you could trust always carries the risk of catching a virus. You just don't realize that.

Tip.it may try its best not to give you any malware, but unless those ads are theirs and theirs alone, you can't guarantee anything. They do a pretty good job of keeping their ads clean and in line, but since Google gives you the ads to display (and Google might not check for adware/malware in the people that give them ads), there's no implied guarantee that it's safe at all.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

So explain to us then, how do you use a P2P client "correctly"?... Downloading anything online, even through a P2P client you thought you could trust always carries the risk of catching a virus. You just don't realize that.

Tip.it may try its best not to give you any malware, but unless those ads are theirs and theirs alone, you can't guarantee anything. They do a pretty good job of keeping their ads clean and in line, but since Google gives you the ads to display (and Google might not check for adware/malware in the people that give them ads), there's no implied guarantee that it's safe at all.

For a P2P client you don't download things that are too good to be true. Like if you want a movie thats an hour long and it's only 5MBs big. I only use P2P for music only (.mp3 files, no other types), which usually can't contain viruses in them. Other file types can, like .wmv or .asf.

The big thing is, don't use a client that is known to contain malware when you install them, such as Kazaa or Bearshare.

goldenblade995.png

For a P2P client you don't download things that are too good to be true. Like if you want a movie thats an hour long and it's only 5MBs big. I only use P2P for music only (.mp3 files, no other types), which usually can't contain viruses in them. Other file types can, like .wmv or .asf.

The big thing is, don't use a client that is known to contain malware when you install them, such as Kazaa or Bearshare.

Same thing here, i have only used the limewire i have to download about 20 songs and 1 movie (mp4) format.

Also to move on the pop ups and viruses. You can get a virus just be clicking on a link to a website, it automatically starts a hidden file transfer. Some poeple lost there accounts on runescape because a "friend" sent them that kind of link on a messenger and it installed a keylogger. And many popups and ads automatically click links to their sites for you.

cool_sig1.jpg

With Opera installed i dont get any popups. Seems like you got yourself a pretty poopy pop-up blocker, wouldent this go in the pc and tech section anyways? :-s

Same here.

I receive no popups what so ever from Tip.It or any site for the matter due to Opera's popup blocker.

You should consider changing your browser to Opera, or at least Mozilla Firefox if you haven't already :)

Click here to help me level!

108486.gif

Thanks for the help!

I'll probably get a warning for this from a mod, but it may be the solution.

Have you been on any adult material websites? (I'm guessing you're over 18, or like most teenagers ignore the laws) Because they're often the cause, you may of accidentally downloaded a DirectX file.

Nobody has suggested it yet, but my brother did it and destroyed my other computer last year -.-

It's extremely unlikely that tip.it would give you a virus.

liverdh1.jpg

Help me starting out again - Give YOUR advice!

If you're collecting in game "hyt's" send me a message here or in game :D

I'll probably get a warning for this from a mod, but it may be the solution.

Have you been on any adult material websites? (I'm guessing you're over 18, or like most teenagers ignore the laws) Because they're often the cause, you may of accidentally downloaded a DirectX file.

Nobody has suggested it yet, but my brother did it and destroyed my other computer last year -.-

It's extremely unlikely that tip.it would give you a virus.

I dont visit those types of sites (your the first one to say it but i think many more thought it). My material comes through non-internet sources and does not touch my computer.

Also i'm not really saying its the actual Tip.it site that gave me the virus, i'm pretty sure it was one of the adds or banners that play on the tip.it site that infected me.

cool_sig1.jpg

Use firefox. I have both ie 7 and firefox and i find firefox prevents way more pop up. Just for the record tip.it gives my no pup ups.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

For your own sake, if you like downloading "things", do consider moving onto the much better BitTorrent platform. Limewire is giving you very likely adware, not tip.it.

Also the popups i get on Tip.it are not stopped by 4 DIFFERENT levels of pop up blockers on my computer and an INDUSTRIAL strength pop up blocker on my school's computer (tip.it is the only site i have ever gotten a pop up with at my school).

No idea what you mean by "industrial strength popup blocker", if a browser disables new windows from opening, it's a pretty simple script. Nothing can get around it, such as in Opera.

You are experiencing continuous popups while browsing tip.it because you are already infected by adware which creates popup windows despite 'blockers'.

Tip.it may only give you one popup ad per reload, it can NOT spawn continuous popups like the ones mentioned by you over a 10 hour period.

Do consider switching to a superior web browser as well (or more importantly, a safer web browser) such as Mozilla or Opera :)

IE 7.0 internet blocker for me, NEVER have got a pop-up from tip.it, or any other site for that matter...

I think someones been doing some shady activity and is blaming tip.it on it...

I agree, I like firefox and opera, but since IE 7, I find I have less need to use either. The pop-up blocker on IE7 has never let thru a pop-up advert from tip.

I do use Firefox for Runescape purely because I have backspace as back button disabled on there.

If IE7 is allowing pop ups thru then something is wrong with your settings.

If you're not on IE7 either upgrade its free or get firefox or opera or possibly even netscape? does anyone still use that?

Deep_pain.gif

Co-Founder of KoA over 18's clan. Founded 2002. An RS clan for adults only.

Now Recruiting

If you're not on IE7 either upgrade its free or get firefox or opera or possibly even netscape? does anyone still use that?

Netscape navigator is going to be discontinued.

you may of accidentally downloaded a DirectX file.

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

The reason why you've got a virus if you are sure it's from tip.it is because of the advertisements.