Tip.It gave me a virus!!!!!

War_Junky_91

Last night i left an internet window open on the Tip.It main page and i feel alseep. I wake up i got adware.

Try several adware removers none work. I just did a system to the day before i left the page up. Adware is gone.

Also many of my programs were affected. Yahoo and Msn messenger were corrupted. I have a keys on my keyboard that control volume and a little volume bar appears on my screen, wasnt working after adware, is now.

Also the popups i get on Tip.it are not stopped by 4 DIFFERENT levels of pop up blockers on my computer and an INDUSTRIAL strength pop up blocker on my school's computer (tip.it is the only site i have ever gotten a pop up with at my school).

Also my internet provider SBC Global (now merged with AT&T) has built in firewalls to the modem that are super good. Had the computer 2 and half years, had five viruses.

What i'm trying to say here is two things: 1. be carefull about Tip.it or really more likely the Tip.it adds/pop ups.

2. Doesnt it disturb you that the adds (which most likely did it) have that kind of power?

Edit: More info: I run daily checks and the virus wasnt there yesterday, but it was today. And it wasnt a well hidden virus, was found within 10 seconds of the virus scan starting also it hid in some folder like hpkey_local_machine\software\SpeedClick or something like that.

cool_sig1.jpg

Yes everyone gets a pop up everyonce once in a while from tip.it (yes with IE, Firefox is differant)

No to Tip.it giving you adware.

If you really do have adware you had to of got it from something else, what all did you download prior to this accurance in the past week before.

Sirhappy2002.png

Yes everyone gets a pop up everyonce once in a while from tip.it (yes with IE, Firefox is differant)

If you really do have adware you had to of got it from something else, what all did you download prior to this accurance in the past week before.

I didnt download anything new. Havent even had limewire open in two weeks. Plus i run daily checks, i didnt have adware yesterday, today i did. It wasnt a well hidden virus, it was found within 10 seconds at the start of the scan.

cool_sig1.jpg

I didnt download anything new. Havent even had limewire open in two weeks. Plus i run daily checks, i didnt have adware yesterday, today i did. It wasnt a well hidden virus, it was found within 10 seconds at the start of the scan.

If you use limeware, honestly, you deserve to have at least 150 different viruses by now.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

If you use limeware, honestly, you deserve to have at least 150 different viruses by now.

Thank you for reminding me. My internet provider SBC Global (now merged with AT&T) has built in firewalls to the modem that are super good. Had the computer 2 and half years, had five viruses.

Also i have only used limewire to download like 20 songs and the TommyBoy movie (which was in mp4 format so the burnt disc wont play on anything >.<). And the last one was um at least before december, i know i havent been on it since i met my current gf.

cool_sig1.jpg

If you use limwire then I would blame that, downloading things from there messed up an old computer of mine and I will not use it again. Many files on there are viruses.

I never had problems with tip.it by the way.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

If you use limwire then I would blame that, downloading things from there messed up an old computer of mine and I will not use it again. Many files on there are viruses.

I never had problems with tip.it by the way.

I havent had problems up till now either, but then again this is the first time i left an window to the main paige up for 10 hours.

Also i know for sure i havent downloaded with limewire in a month so its not that.

cool_sig1.jpg

It must be really weird...I have NoScript installed and I also have the default/traditional setting of blocking pop-ups in Firefox, and I have yet to see any pop-up appear from this site.

Find NoScript and turn on the pop-up blocker.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

With Opera installed i dont get any popups. Seems like you got yourself a pretty poopy pop-up blocker, wouldent this go in the pc and tech section anyways? :-s

Opera FTW! I use it as well for most of my things :D. All the other things, I use Firefox.

With Opera, you never get any pop-ups, not even the tip.it popups. Opera usually shows you in the right hand top corner that a pop up was blocked and you need to click on that to open it.

Also, if antivirus software is Norton or Avast, change it, these are not good for anything at all.

Also, this goes on the website discussion section on the index.

It must be really weird...I have NoScript installed and I also have the default/traditional setting of blocking pop-ups in Firefox, and I have yet to see any pop-up appear from this site.

I dont use firefox, born and raised on IE, i find firefox too odd a look for me.

cool_sig1.jpg

With Opera installed i dont get any popups. Seems like you got yourself a pretty poopy pop-up blocker, wouldent this go in the pc and tech section anyways? :-s

Opera FTW! I use it as well for most of my things :D. All the other things, I use Firefox.

With Opera, you never get any pop-ups, not even the tip.it popups. Opera usually shows you in the right hand top corner that a pop up was blocked and you need to click on that to open it.

Also, if antivirus software is Norton or Avast, change it, these are not good for anything at all.

Also, this goes on the website discussion section on the index.

Its not norton, my dad has that, omg bites sooooooooooo bad. The firewal i got is Sytem Mechanic Profesional 6, we originally bought the disc to fix an old computer that was corrupt, but it was tottally useless. Found it came with a firewall and virus scanner. Use that on this new computer.

cool_sig1.jpg

I'm betting it was Limewire. It iS a file-sharing program, after all. If it was even running in the background, then it still means people can access files on your computer. I'm willing to bet that Limewire was running, and you got the adware during an exchange through Limewire.

If its not Limewire, then download Firefox or a decent popup blocker. For Firefox, turn popup blocker on, and download Ad-block Plus. Block banner ads, and if you DO get a popup..roll your cursor over the popup (DONT CLICK), and check the address in the bottom left. For example..if it is yadayada.tribalfusion.yadayada, then open Adblock Plus, and add a filter for *.tribalfusion.*..you'll block that ad forever.

Firefox is a powerful tool. If you believe you're getting adware from pop-ups, I'd check it out.

The+Adaminator.png

69827172ou0.jpg

System Mechanic is good. I've come to hate every Symantec programme out there. Limewire is fine lmao, unless your an idiot to the obvious, ie. Dont download files under 1mb. Or RAR'd files, or zipped files, or exe files. I guess that comes simple to me, i use the torrent network for all my downloading needs, just when I want to grab a random file rather than a whole complation i use limewire. #-o

I dont use firefox, born and raised on IE, i find firefox too odd a look for me.

Firefox+NoScript is a very good combination and you will not be dealing with pesky pop ups or anything of that nature.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

Oh. Well that explains it, then.

IE is an okay browser -- in my humble opinion -- if you're being held up at gunpoint.

I'd advise you look into getting either Firefox or Opera, for your own safety. There are some skins available for Firefox that can make it look like IE...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Oh. Well that explains it, then.

IE is an okay browser -- in my humble opinion -- if you're being held up at gunpoint.

I'd advise you look into getting either Firefox or Opera, for your own safety. There are some skins available for Firefox that can make it look like IE...

IE=Microsoft~~Microsoft=Evil~~Microsoft=Computers~~Computers=World=Microsoft=Evil & World Domination~~~ :uhh: So what are we going to do tonight Gates?~~~ Try to take over the world!!!

But really... when Microsoft can't even make a program that runs well with Vista... why not use Firefox?

Limewire= Being a moron.

And Tip.it doesn't ever give viruses.

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

And the "Same thing we do every night Pinky..." bit. Is it sad I like that show?

I'm no expert, but there have been known to be some malicious ad banners on Tip.It, and that's mostly down to how little control we have over the ads that get put onto the forums and main site. I'm not so sure about pop-ups though.

As many others have mentioned, if you use LimeWire, expect a cornucopia of viruses. I did a virus check after deleting it from my computer - every single file came up as corrupt.