Pokemon Thread

PoorLepRecon

Had a battle today where my Blaziken took out my opponents Infernape and my Dragonite took out my opponents Salamence. I love when underrated Pokes pull their weight.

Edit: OK I'm really starting to love this Dragonite:

<Opponent> switched in Gobstopper (lvl 100 Forretress ♂).

Pointed stones dug into Gobstopper.

Gobstopper lost 12% of its health.

Buzzcut switched in Dragonite (lvl 100 Dragonite ♀).

Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.

Dragonite lost 25% of its health.

Gobstopper used Rapid Spin.

Gobstopper blew away the pointed stones!

Dragonite lost 6% of its health.

Gobstopper's leftovers restored its health a little!

Gobstopper restored 6% of its health.

<Opponent> switched in Mrs Williams (lvl 100 Blissey ♀).

Dragonite used Substitute.

Dragonite lost 25% of its health.

Dragonite made a substitute!

Dragonite is tightening its focus!

Mrs Williams used Ice Beam.

It's super effective!

The substitute took damage for Dragonite!

Dragonite's substitute faded!

Dragonite used Focus Punch.

It's super effective!

Mrs Williams lost 100% of its health.

<Opponent> Mrs Williams fainted.

Dragonite lost 10% of its health.

<Opponent> switched in Gobstopper (lvl 100 Forretress ♂).

Dragonite used Flamethrower.

It's super effective!

Gobstopper lost 94% of its health.

<Opponent> Gobstopper fainted.

Dragonite lost 10% of its health

Just demolished two walls without them expecting it. People really underestimate Dragonite ever since Salamence came along.

25zhwts.png

[email protected] - EoS Former Leader - Message if you need anything

I love it when somebody's plan fails. Once I sent out Heracross when they had Uxie out and I accidentaly used Close Combat instead of Megahorn. He switched out to Aggron. :lol:

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Machamp can't lay down rocks though, so you gotta get someone to do that.

Had a battle today where my Blaziken took out my opponents Infernape and my Dragonite took out my opponents Salamence. I love when underrated Pokes pull their weight.

when did blaziken and dragonite become underrated??

monoclesmilecopy.jpg

Infernape and Salamence are better in attacking roles than them, making them largely obsolete.

No one expects Blaziken to do anything with Infernape everywhere, but Blaziken has better attack stats and decent speed, which makes it a great wallbreaker (better than people expect). Dragonite isn't used as much because Salamence has better speed and attack, making it a better sweeper, yet Dragonite has Extremespeed and Focus Punch, two things Salamence doesn't have.

25zhwts.png

No one expects Blaziken to do anything with Infernape everywhere, but Blaziken has better attack stats and decent speed, which makes it a great wallbreaker (better than people expect). Dragonite isn't used as much because Salamence has better speed and attack, making it a better sweeper, yet Dragonite has Extremespeed and Focus Punch, two things Salamence doesn't have.

Blaziken is more easily revenged than Infernape, and the middling speed doesn't do his higher offensive stats justice. He can do some wallbreaking though. He's outclassed badly by Infernape, who does his job in the OU environment much better.

Dragonite is the more defensive of the two, while Salamence is more offensively-oriented. Offensively, Salamence does do the job of wallbreaking or sweeping a lot better. That being said, you need to play to Dragonite's strengths or else he is outclassed. Dragonite's defenses are superior, and he can work as a cleric pretty damn well. Not to mention he can actually survive an Ice Beam from most walls. Dragonite also suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, he really needs all those moves. Salamence only needs Outrage, Fire Blast, and Earthquake to do his job. The last slot is open for options. And in regards to Focus Punch, that's one of the few things he has over Salamence. Extremespeed just doesn't work well outside of a terrible anti-lead. He doesn't have the power behind it to effectively revenge threats.

In terms of the other OU Dragons, Flygon makes a great Choice user, with an acceptable Attack and Speed stat, arguably the best offensive typing in the metagame which is only resisted by Skarmory, and access to options like U-turn. The Dragon/Ground typing really affords him a very nice set of resistances, which coupled with Levitate, makes him very sturdy. Choice Band actually makes him hit very hard, and allows U-turn to OHKO most Celebi after SR. Choice Scarf makes him a very efficient revenge killer, being able to survive a hit up to a +1 Tyranitar Crunch and positive nature and lower.

Kingdra is probably the lesser of the OU Dragons, but is amazing in it's own right. It's typing affords it only one weakness, Dragon, and a plethora of solid resistances, including a solid 4x Fire resist. It also runs Water/Dragon, which goes completely unresisted if I'm not mistaken. It's ability is arguably one of the best out there, allowing it to even become a nightmare in Ubers, and making it the fastest pokemon in the Ubers, and by proxy, OU metagame. It's stats are also very well-balanced, and can take a hit if needed.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

800PX-1.png

The first seems to be the Grass type, the top is the Fire type, and the last is that Water type I think. Just by their silhouettes you can tell they're going to recieve hell from the 1st/2nd Gen elitists...

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I really do want a Grass/Fire type. But meh.

so, im making my pokemon team!

anyone have any sugestions/tips for me?

i'm just looking for point that are obvious for pros.

Also, are their any things i should look for when choosing my pokemon? (does gender do anything? or nature?)

Im gunna be- the very best.... :P

KcDragon punded me into putty. :shock:

Good game!

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Nature is very important, and is described here. Also, EV points vastly affect the stats of your Pokémon.

Somehow, i had a feeling they would sneak something like natures in :P

But what is EV?

An EV is an effort value. You get a certain amount of EV's for beating any pokemon, based on what that pokemon is good at (I think it's something like 1 special attack EV for beating a ghastly, 1 speed EV for beating a zubat, etc.). You can get the EV's doubled by having that Pokemon hold an item (won from the battle tower I believe?). One stat can have a max of 255 EV's, and a pokemon can have a max of 510. 4 EV's is one stat point increase sometime before that pokemon reaches level 100 (randomly added on when leveling at any point in time), so preferably the max EV a pokemon should have is 252, because 255 is meaningless.

Basically, let's say a hypothetical pokemon at level 100 had no EV training (99 rare candies directly from an egg), its stats would be 300 300 300 300 300 300. If you trained stat 1 and 2 for 252 EV's and stat 3 for 4 EV's, the stats would then be 363 363 301 300 300 300. If you trained the pokemon normally and got it to 510 EV's at random, it would look something like 322 321 321 321 321 321. A pokemon with a direct purpose would have an advantage over a pokemon with random EV's, especially if you don't use the stats you put EV's in.

Tried to make it as simple as possible.

And about your previous question, there are a few kinds of Pokemon. Walls, clerics, sweepers, support, wall-breakers, and probably more that I'm missing. Currently my team has a physical wall/support, special wall, special sweeper, wall breaker, late-game sweeper, and a "steel trapper"/special sweeper. If you're just starting out, you should try to make your team have a bit of everything and make sure there are no repeating weaknesses (like every pokemon with a weakness to ice type attacks would make anything with an ice type attack very hard to kill).

So just try to get two walls (pokemon with high HP and either high physical defense or special defense), one support pokemon (something that helps the team, like using wish and healing team members, baton passing stat boosts to a team member, laying down stealth rock, etc.), a wall breaker if you'd like (otherwise a sweeper) (a wall breaker is a pokemon with high special and physical attack that can kill many walls), and two sweepers (pokemon with high speed and high attack and/or special attack).

Watch youtube videos with commentaries if you'd like to see common pokemon/strategies, so you can see why people do what moves. A knowledge of a pokemon's base stats also helps so you can see what kind of pokemon something usually is.

25zhwts.png