Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

stevepole

Do you need to play MGS1-3 to understand the story in this game?

Can someone answer this?

You MUST :!: play those games to have any of the slightest understanding of what is going on. While I havent played it yet, thats how MGS 2 (And MGS 3 a little) was Plus $30 ($20 if you get lucky and bargin hunt like me) for them all, and they are such amazing games they are probably must plays. To be honest, the ending for MGS 2 was so crazy i cannot possible believe you could understand 4 without the story of 1-3. (But if you really must you might be able to get away without 3, but it is HIGHLY unreccomended) :!:

Sig

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide=]And I really did shed a tear when Big Boss saluted the Boss's grave at thet end, very emotional moment. Using the last of the energy he had before he died to properly honor his idol that he himself had killed, one of the most moving moments in any game I've played.[/hide]

Yeah, the music was also very good. Also...

Big Spoilers...

[hide=]When Snake put the gun in his mouth and you heard the gunshot, it was really amazing. I really felt bad for Snake, how he his whole life was dictated by others, and even his death too. But then you have the plot twist with Big Boss and Snake gets to live his remaining time however he wants. Really good moment.[/hide]

You MUST :!: play those games to have any of the slightest understanding of what is going on. While I havent played it yet, thats how MGS 2 (And MGS 3 a little) was Plus $30 ($20 if you get lucky and bargin hunt like me) for them all, and they are such amazing games they are probably must plays. To be honest, the ending for MGS 2 was so crazy i cannot possible believe you could understand 4 without the story of 1-3. (But if you really must you might be able to get away without 3, but it is HIGHLY unreccomended) :!:

I've never played MGS2 and I understood the story perfectly fine...

you'd need to play 2 to know more about raiden, sunny's mom, vamp, and a few other stuff

i think people liked him better in 4 than in 2 because he isn't the lead. everyone wanted snake in mgs2

though the game would have been better if you could play as him when it was his turn to fight instead of being all cutscene

What?

m_theory11.png

they somewhat explain the events and characters in mgs4 but playing 1-3 first would be best if you want to fully understand what is going on. They mention alot of characters from the previous that you'd have to play to know. Well even then a few items are still confusing

if you don't want to play through them then you should still pick up mgs4

And if this is the first MGS game you have played (Like me) It will suck you in! The gameplay is so great! And Graphics 10/10! But, if they say something (Like in Mission 1; the "Gekkos"), I'd Google it.

But, other than that...

BUY IT! IT IS AWSOME!

Alright, thanks.I think I will get this one, but my PS2 keeps freezing and eating discs, so I won't be getting the first three, I guess. Well, my PS3 is "backwards compatible"...even though there is no memory card or PS2 controller port...

Well, my PS3 is "backwards compatible"...even though there is no memory card or PS2 controller port...

You have to create a virtual memory card on your PS3.

Oh, never mind, they do make an adapter. :oops: $15 at Best Buy, I'll probably go get one.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"

Well, my PS3 is "backwards compatible"...even though there is no memory card or PS2 controller port...

I know that, but that still doesn't let me use the save files that I got while playing on the PS2, so I still have to switch systems and stuff.

I know that, but that still doesn't let me use the save files that I got while playing on the PS2, so I still have to switch systems and stuff.

That sucks

Heh, apparently MGS4 managed to double the sales of PS3 during the week following it's release. That should say something. I went over to a friends house to see it, it was truly an epic conclusion for the series!

[hide=vague spoilers]The thrill and suspense was something that surpassed many movies that I have watched recently, especially the split-screen battle (snake vs Gekkos and Raiden vs Vamp) or the part near the end of the game where EVERYONE is fighting, as well as the final showdown and more! Each of the 4 bosses had such a moving emotional story. The one that got to me the most would be Crying wolf. Probably as she reminds me of sniper wolf (and her story is just plain sad). Action in the cutscenes were simply off the charts, the fist fight near the end of the game was totally brutal and well done (stopping a punch by slamming his head forward? Ouch!) and all of it was using the game engine![/hide]

Gameplay and awareness of detail is so amazing and complex as well, and my absolute favorite fight:

[hide=spoilers]REX vs RAY! Words cannot describe how awesome it is for two giant metal gear robots to fight to the death, and the sequence after that where raiden sacrifices his second arm to stop Outer Haven was just awesome.[/hide]

That complete with a whole gun mod system and all sorts of fun extras was just amazing, and if that wasn't enough, there are SO many comical/nostalgic references to the previous games (especially when ingame characters break the 4th wall). Loved every moment of it.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Uh, try and put ALL of the spoilers in the spoiler tag. You may have just ruined the game for some.

Fine, apparently things weren't vague enough so I just tagged it all.

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

Uh, try and put ALL of the spoilers in the spoiler tag. You may have just ruined the game for some.

Fine, apparently things weren't vague enough so I just tagged it all.

Well, I thought they were spoilers, so... Thanks :D

MOST.EPIC.GAME.EVER!

So moving, just brilliant, also, I use javelin for Gekko.

Also, if you haven't completed it yet, make sure you have an hour spare after you finish it. The epilogue is THAT long.

~Boo

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

MOST.EPIC.GAME.EVER!

So moving, just brilliant, also, I use javelin for Gekko.

Also, if you haven't completed it yet, make sure you have an hour spare after you finish it. The epilogue is THAT long.

~Boo

The best game of the PS3, and I won't be able to beat it till next year. DAMN YOU OVERLYLONG CUTSCENES! :|

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Personally the long-cut scenes are awesome. 90 minutes sounds long but it's really bad considering what you get. Well apparently not long cut-scenes are not everyone's cup of tea:

(warning, as awesome as he is, he DOES NOT show MGS4 any mercy; watch at your own risk)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ar-Solid-4

:(

I was afraid he'd crucify the game like that.

BlueSig6.jpg

Personally the long-cut scenes are awesome. 90 minutes sounds long but it's really bad considering what you get. Well apparently not long cut-scenes are not everyone's cup of tea:

(warning, as awesome as he is, he DOES NOT show MGS4 any mercy; watch at your own risk)

Gotta love him ...

That was hilarious...he even mentioned spotted [bleep]...the worlds oddest named (Its sponge cake right?)...

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

That was hilarious...he even mentioned spotted [bleep]...the worlds oddest named (Its sponge cake right?)...

Mmmm, Sponge Cake. [/random]

I'm going to be picking up MSG 1-3 soon,

Once I finish those, im going to go out and get the PS3 MGS4 bundle. :)

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

Well this is the only reason why I would get PS3 if I would.

But spending so much money just to play one game isn't an option for me.

I beated MGS2 for 10+ times, passed it on all difficulties and with game over if alert, best game ever in my opinion, I played MGS3 also for few times, second best game ever.

Unfortunatly I've never had a chance to play first one and probably I won't have chance to play fourth. :cry: :cry:

Palas1.png

I'm going to be picking up MSG 1-3 soon,

Once I finish those, im going to go out and get the PS3 MGS4 bundle. :)

:thumbup:

Mgs4 bundle sold out with in a few weeks and they say there only going to release another "wave" off them.