Where the hell are all my gigabytes?

My C: drive is 30GB, and I want to install Guitar Hero III which takes up around 4.2GB, no problem right? Wrong. For some reason I only have 3.25GB remaining, and when I click on my C: drive under My Computer and look at the sizes of the folders there, the sizes don't come close at all to adding up to ~26GB. When I go to "add and remove programs", nothing is really big except for a 2GB Backup and Recovery thing that my dad put on (he works with computers, but can't figure out where my space is either lol).

So if somebody could help me find a way to get more space, I would love you forever! (ClareJonsson I'm looking at you ;) )

Well space could be going to system restore.

Go to disk cleanup to remove old system restore points.

Start> all programs> accessories> system tools> disk cleanup

Then when you get there go to the "more options" tab and click cleanup under system restore. (path may not be exact under windows xp).

System restore can take up to 6GB on a 40GB disk. You can also disable system restore entirely, but I don't recommend it.

That's the only thing that I can think of that could be taking up storage that you don't know about. You can also use the program Spacemonger to see what is using all your storage.

http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php

goldenblade995.png

Best thing to do for Sys restore is disable it, re-enable it, and then set yourself a new restore point, should free up 3-4 gig.

Also. If you can, get the trial of "Iolo System Mechanic 7", and run the hard disk space tool.

NecroOne.jpg

Iamanarab - 119/110 Combat - 1700+ Total - P2P for the moment

Drops: [3] Dragon Legs [2] Shield Left Half [1] Draconic Visage

Have you considered the fact that he might be using a partitioned hard drive, where the C: partition might only be 30Gb? ;)

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Your hard drive is 30gb? :shock:

That's tiny, nowadays you can buy a 500gb hard drive for just under £100 (~$200).

Newegg had a sale last week, 750Gb 7200RPM hard drive for $100 :thumbup: . Too bad I didn't have any cash to take up the offer.

That's tiny, nowadays you can buy a 500gb hard drive for just under £100 (~$200).

Newegg had a sale last week, 750Gb 7200RPM hard drive for $100 :thumbup: . Too bad I didn't have any cash to take up the offer.

Holy :shock: ! I have an 100GB hard drive on my laptop, only used up 15GB. What could you possibly use 750GB for?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Holy :shock: ! I have an 100GB hard drive on my laptop, only used up 15GB. What could you possibly use 750GB for?

Hidef movies and video editing are what is using up a lot of my space. Then another 95GB in installed programs. Not counting virtual machines in Vmware and my music collection.

goldenblade995.png

Yeah my 360GB filled up really quickly, I should have gotten the 750Gig. 70GB of music and then games taking up ~20-30GB these days to install hurts you.

FYI PC's can easily get up to 4TB of hard drive space now, or even more.

I could probably fill us a 750GB, or come close to it. I would buy all the games I can't buy now because of my tiny HD, then stop storing my ~20GB of music on my dad's computer :lol: I would also download a whole bunch of movies. I might get a 500GB external HD for my laptop for the next school year.

my laptop got 100GB..only 5GB left after 4 days.... My desktop got 720GB... 200GB left after a month >.> i think i have to look for 1TB hard drive x2 lol instead of 360x2

Quit runescape on Jan 6th of 2008, at level of 115 with around 150M worth of item in bank...however stats still remains

Baoding.png

World 59, the world i loved~

59.png

Now 95% dedicated to playing Microsoft flight simulator

image_mini

http://www.youtube.com/user/im1knight

my youtube channel with many FSX videos i made. please leave a comment if you will