Why Junk Is An Issue

Gin_and_Tonic

JagEx may have thought G.E and unbalanced trading were good ideas, however they left one fatal flaw - junk pricing being ridiculously high.

This rant regards real-world trading, which is why JagEx put balanced trading in, in the first place...

Everyone has junk - whether it be worth 50k or 5million, most people have it... And sometimes, its impossible to sell, even if you use treasure trails or other items...

The way i see it, by using junk, real-world buyers/traders are able to purchase their gold by selling the autoer's their junk, in return for pure Runescape Gold.

Example;

Player gets 99 Fletching using Maples - and is left with 200k maple (U)s

The junk value of these is 28.8million

Not alot of players are not going to be able to shift these...So this is where gold sellers come in - They offer to purchase the junk from the RS Players, provided they give them Real-life money.

If all 28.8million is traded, the player has 28.8million gold, and the seller is left with x amount of real life money and 200k maple (u)s...

The way i see it, is this provides an incentive for players to get 99 Fletching using an alternative method or cheaper method, and then sell it all as junk to real-world traders...

This applies for alot of levels - summon, herblore, crafting (f2p in particular), with seeds (thieving for example)... And the list could go on.

Given the huge amount of dormant real-world gold sitting on in-active accounts, as this method grows, rs gold could become even cheaper...

The only real way to combat this potential threat, is to greatly reduce the price of secondary materials...

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this issue.

I'm not sure how this applies to herblore or theiving, but it's definitely an issue. I think Jagex wants to make the G.E. work better before they start taking out junk.

It should not be impossible to sell mithril arrows on the g.e. (thank you waterfiends...)

nh.jpg

I'm not sure how this applies to herblore or theiving, but it's definitely an issue. I think Jagex wants to make the G.E. work better before they start taking out junk.

It should not be impossible to sell mithril arrows on the g.e. (thank you waterfiends...)

Herblore - making pots such as attack pots, strength pots, which cost little to make and have a high re-sale value than they cost to make. Or low level pots which you can buy the ingredients in large bulk

Thieving - Using the master farmer until high levels, knowing they can sell their seeds regardless of what they are - unlike using a different method where they will only get a few gp.

Why would you sell junk to real world item traders and pay for them to give you equal value to what you have, when you can use it in trades and get your actual value without having to pay.

You didnt think this through did you?.

Why would you sell junk to real world item traders and pay for them to give you equal value to what you have, when you can use it in trades and get your actual value without having to pay.

You're simple minded, right?

I stated that players who can't find items to use as junk, for example skillers (who dont do clues, GWD, high level mosters etc), low level'd players who only want particular skills and other players who want a quick-fix cash advance, can all merit from selling their junk to real-world traders...

Not everyone does level three clues, kill ridiculously high monsters or can be fussed to sort out junk trades...

You're simple minded, right?

I stated that players who can't find items to use as junk, for example skillers (who dont do clues, GWD, high level mosters etc), low level'd players who only want particular skills and other players who want a quick-fix cash advance, can all merit from selling their junk to real-world traders...

Not everyone does level three clues, kill ridiculously high monsters or can be fussed to sort out junk trades...

No i think your simple minded, why would you pay some one to buy your junk?, theres players who will buy it off you simply to use it in junk trades, and its always useful to have arround regardless, only yesterday i sold a zammy spear for 1.7m with junk.

Now why would i want to pay some rwt to buy something off of me when its useful and valuable, as all junk items are.

You're missing the point and being an arrogant arse on the grounds of your inflated ego...

Junk has little or NO use to many players... Who the hell needs 30million gp worth of junk, when they have all combat skills at level 50 or below, and they need to reduce the bulk of their junk in order to fund other levels...

You're response was, again, completely disregarding my previous post where i stated;

Not everyone does level three clues, kill ridiculously high monsters or can be fussed to sort out junk trades..

No i think your simple minded, why would you pay some one to buy your junk?, theres players who will buy it off you simply to use it in junk trades, and its always useful to have arround regardless, only yesterday i sold a zammy spear for 1.7m with junk.

Now why would i want to pay some rwt to buy something off of me when its useful and valuable, as all junk items are.

Are you expecting one the players i talk about in my posts to just [beep] out a Zammy Spear to sell with junk?...

blah blah blah

Again your not listening, and now you have started pointlessly flaming but ill try to explain this so your tiny brain can comprehend it.

Junk has value..

People buy junk just to use it for trades, say if you want a party hat now, you need a lot of junk, you dont have it? buy it from other players..

Hence even if YOU cant use the junk, it still has value.

Id rather have 28 million worth of junk in my bank contributing to my networth then PAY some one to give me a monetary value equal to something i already have..

You have a car right, its useless to you.. its broken down and you cant use it..

Another guy wants it for parts.. he wants to give you 400$ for it.. but he wants you to pay 500$ to him to buy it off you.. what would you tell him?.

Now please, get over yourself, your wrong and i tried to be civil but since you turned into a [bleep] im done with it, your a [bleep]ing idiot.

*Deeping in the world of Shouldland, where things should happen, someone should probably be caring about what this Forum Member has posted*

If you're too arrogant to see a different side to my rant, then just leave... You're clearly too simple minded to see not everyone is level 120+ combat. :roll:

*Deeping in the world of Shouldland, where things should happen, someone should probably be caring about what this Forum Member has posted*

If you're too arrogant to see a different side to my rant, then just leave... You're clearly too simple minded to see not everyone is level 120+ combat. :roll:

Combat has nothing to do with it, your grasping at straws now, i have succesfully destroyed your arguements, this isnt about arrogance, its about the fact that you are wrong.

People wont pay people to buy something off them, it is stupid.

People buy junk, no matter what junk you have you will find some one on the forums who will buy it to get that godsword or party hat they have been looking for.

You also have the option of using it yourself.

Now why would you pay some one to buy something you can sell or use yourself?.

Rwts realise this hence why they use bounty hunter instead of junk trades.

Do you think someone is going to sell you four santa hats for 200k maple longs (U)? ... Probably not.

...Think about it like this;

Maple logs cost 45 gp ea

Maple longs (U) cost 144 gp ea

Profit = 99 gp per bow.

Cost to purchase 200k maple logs = 9000k

Sale price of 200k maple logs in trade = 28800k

Profit when sold in trade = 19.8million

Result = 99 Fletching and a potential profit of 19.8million.

The player now has two options; try and fail to buy four Santa hats with 200k maple (U), or, pay a player say, £40, to give them 28.8million gold in exchange for these.

The player now has, for a cost of £40, 28.8million gold (19.8m in profit) and 99 Fletching... For the sake of spending months tryna find and fail a way to get rid of all this pointless junk, he can swap it tomorrow for four santas, costing him £40.

Combat has nothing to do with it, your grasping at straws now, i have succesfully destroyed your arguements, this isnt about arrogance, its about the fact that you are wrong.

People wont pay people to buy something off them, it is stupid.

People buy junk, no matter what junk you have you will find some one on the forums who will buy it to get that godsword or party hat they have been looking for.

You also have the option of using it yourself.

Now why would you pay some one to buy something you can sell or use yourself?.

Rwts realise this hence why they use bounty hunter instead of junk trades.

Junk is suppose to be cheaply obtained and used as higher value, cheating the system. So why would you pay 50M to get 50M in junk, its like 50M cash? Your suppose to be able to get the junk CHEAPER to boost the trade. Thus making a market for RWT. They dont care about the high level gear thats unsellable, they want dollars.

I will, and have never used junk. I prolly never will. Id sell it for cash if I had the option to (quitting)

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Junk is suppose to be cheaply obtained and used as higher value, cheating the system. So why would you pay 50M to get 50M in junk, its like 50M cash? Your suppose to be able to get the junk CHEAPER to boost the trade. Thus making a market for RWT. They dont care about the high level gear thats unsellable, they want dollars.

I will, and have never used junk. I prolly never will. Id sell it for cash if I had the option to (quitting)

No junk is used to equalise trades and get the full market price.

I use it for just that, nothing more, i have bought junk on many occasions specifically to use it for trades that were impossible without it.

Where did you get the idea that its used to cheat the system? all junk is is an otherwise useless item thats being used as currency due to deficencys in jagex's trading system.

btw gin at current prices 28 million gold is about 168$ us..

Just as an offset, i find it annoying when i want to sell something for its price and i get junk trades. say i wanted to sell dharoks axe, i want to sell for 400. someone then wants to buy for 600 but make you offer 200k worth of junk. then what? some sellers might not have an extra 200k or so in junk to trade? happened to me and its very annoying. we dont all have spare mill's of junk to toss around. besides im sure jagex will EVENTUALLY fix up the GE's faults....eventully.

by the way nerdattack16, wth?

Popoto.~<3

Gin_and_Tonic's point is actually very interesting, and it seems probable. Junk trades could very well be used as such a loophole. I'm kinda worried now...if something isn't done about this, we could have some serious issues with RWT in the future.

Where did you get the idea that [junk is] used to cheat the system?

A player can circumvent the GE's regulation on prices, and now has full range/domination over the system. That's at least how I get the idea. Dunno how you missed that.

btw gin at current prices 28 million gold is about 168$ us..

...I don't wanna know how you know that. Seriously.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

...I don't wanna know how you know that. Seriously.

Remember r2pleasent?, whilst most of the tip it community now despises him, i remain quite good friends with him and have him on msn, trust me, if junk trading was a truly viable option he would already be using it, but he is still using bounty hunter.

People wont pay people to buy junk, becouse junk itself has value, so your paying the rwter twice, its not worth it.

As for circumnavigating the system..

You got arround nothing, you still have to obtain the junk, that either takes a lot of time or a lot of money..

Thats what people dont get..

JUNK IS NOT FREE!, it has to be gathered, gathering takes time, time is money.

And you cant buy it without paying the over priced value that its being exploited for in the first place.

Now do you understand?

123Yourgone is correct, junk trades are being made all the time, why would you want to RWT the junk if you can just do a junk trade on the forums or something?

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

*pokes head in to remind folks to keep the flames and spam down*

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

123Yourgone is correct, junk trades are being made all the time, why would you want to RWT the junk if you can just do a junk trade on the forums or something?

Again, you're missing the point....

A level three skiller with 200k maple bows is unlikely to have anything of value above G.E price they need to sell... If order to get a quick fix payment, they can sell their junk to RWT for a gold price...

Understand now? :pray:

A level three skiller with 200k maple bows is unlikely to have anything of value above G.E price they need to sell... If order to get a quick fix payment, they can sell their junk to RWT for a gold price...

why would they sell it to a RWT when they can just sell the junk without having to pay for the chance?

why would they sell it to a RWT when they can just sell the junk without having to pay for the chance?

Exactly.

Sometimes i don't agree with 123, but I definitely do here.

IMO buying junk can sort of be like converting currency from a dollar to a euro. They each have there own value, though the value of gp is less tangible, but pretend the price of all items stayed the same, that would mean the value of gp would change.

If the price of everything doubled, the price of gp would be half of what it was before, as you could only get half of what you would of gotten before.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I love how jagex' "foolproof" GE and trade limits didn't stop RWT at all like they claimed it would (I think they said something about eliminiating all RWT for good). RWT is still going on; bounty hunter, junk trading, all those little kinks that apparently jagex failed to see.

Really, I'm sick of all this. Real world trading is here, jagex might as well give players back free trading, because at the moment players are the only ones who are suffering.

Sorry... a bit off topic, but it's really been bugging me.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I love how jagex' "foolproof" GE and trade limits didn't stop RWT at all like they claimed it would (I think they said something about eliminiating all RWT for good). RWT is still going on; bounty hunter, junk trading, all those little kinks that apparently jagex failed to see.

Really, I'm sick of all this. Real world trading is here, jagex might as well give players back free trading, because at the moment players are the only ones who are suffering.

Sorry... a bit off topic, but it's really been bugging me.

I agree.