Stages Of RuneScape noobification and will it ever stop?

agentkiller4

well heres my little reminder on how the age group of RuneScape is declining along with the game content....and the content shows that Jagex knows theirs people 9-6 years old playing

[hide=Stage One]Devious2.png

rs was just starting with the one week beta in 1999 i had the joy of perticipating in... RuneScape was called Devious MUD Back then.

rsnoobevolution1.jpg

Runescapeclassic_combat_combat.gif

Runsecape was mainly 16+ oriented and had many/majority 20+

there were no warning signs except for a measly wilderness pop up... Jagex didn't care what happened to you

this was before Jagex gave up on gore as you can see...[/hide]

[hide=Stage Two]rsnoobevolution2.jpg

RuneScape's age group dropped to around 13-14+ but still remained a good, enjoyable and decent game to play

warning signs started to appear in the odd places and wasn't overdone[/hide]

[hide=Stage Three]rsnoobevolution3.jpg

Warning signs became invasive and overdone, The Grand Exchange appeared and Anti-Scam was released

ruining most things the old players found fun and profitable

RuneScape's age group dropped to around 7-15 yrs. of age average[/hide]

the future looks bleak....

do you think it may ever stop or even rewind? please poste your arguements.

All images here except the Devious MUD and RuneScape Classic gameplay video are created and property of Agentkiller4

Devious MUD And RuneScape Classic Gameplay video are property of wikipedia

agentkiller4.png

The only way i know of that can stop little kids from signing up is to add a skill testing question when you sign-up. Although, now, if you sign up under 13 you are stuck with quick-chat.

Levon.png Bladewing.png

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

I find it ironically funny that the only group of players complaining about the "youth" of RuneScape are in fact, teenagers, aged 13-17. Even more ironic, they act even worse about the people they're complaining about. :roll: It's also rather hilarious that absolutely none of your images even flow with what you're on about.

Just pay close attention, won't you. You can't prove that this game is being geared for children younger than 13. Even if you insist on arguing this point, you probably can't find evidence to support it. Do yourself [and everyone else] a favor; get off your soapbox, get on RuneScape, have fun, and try not to care about everyone's "age".

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

# State your case and provide facts to support your question and/or point of view.

# Write your post in such a way that invites others to respond.

Taken from the Debate Club Rules thread... You know, the one no one bothers to read.

You do not state actual facts, those are just estimates, guesses if you will.

And you don't actually ask a debatable question. Because everyone knows that:

A, It's not age or combat level who makes a noob, it's maturity.

and B, While the Internet lives, there will always be immature people/players and therefor there will always be noobs.

Again, this isn't even debatable. I'd suggest reformulating your question.

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

You only choose to look at the "baby" updates. What about GWD, skill capes, Summoning, etc.? I don't see 9 year olds with Godswords. The game is expanding, meaning there will be both "childish" updates and hardcore updates.

btw...yes this is debatable...my pictures show that they are making it more friendly to children and thats a fact...the warning signs are geared for children don't you see how the graphics got more child friendly?

its not a guess or an estaminet that runescape was going to have blood and gore (aimed for 16+) when they came out with rs2

jagex states: "we need to formulate our updates to better suit the current runescape audience"

thats why jagex took out all the mature content...and started forming a child's game from an intended 16+

agentkiller4.png

I think it's rather rude how everyone immediately blames the state of runescape on the age of players. Age doesn't come into it. Many people, some over twenty years of age suggests some of the extra things or the "babyish" updates as most call them just for a sense of security for themselves and other players.

The "noobification" is down to ALL players, young and old. It is not being "Noobified" in my opinion it just depends how you play the game, as well as how you look at updates. When an update comes you don't approve of do you rant and riot like anything OR do you read the development diaries understand the situation and offer possible alternatives.

I find it ironically funny that the only group of players complaining about the "youth" of RuneScape are in fact, teenagers, aged 13-17. Even more ironic, they act even worse about the people they're complaining about. :roll: It's also rather hilarious that absolutely none of your images even flow with what you're on about.

I don't actually see many people complaining except on forums or anything. It always ends with someone calling the other person a 2 year old. #-o

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

You only choose to look at the "baby" updates. What about GWD, skill capes, Summoning, etc.? I don't see 9 year olds with Godswords. The game is expanding, meaning there will be both "childish" updates and hardcore updates.

i do realize this and yes you are right...but the child friendly safeguards are kinda becoming overdone along with the amount of childish updates

•  
    [*:r5neigdd] you can blame the pking removal partly on the children

[*:r5neigdd] you can blame the excessive warning signs and wildy ditch on children

[*:r5neigdd] you can blame the trade limit partly on chldren

[*:r5neigdd] you can blame the grand exchange most definitely on children

so there you go...some facts

also.......what do you call smoking kills? and hmm that thing on global warming?

its almost like runescape is trying to be a child's educational game

agentkiller4.png

* you can blame the pking removal partly on the children

This was RWT's fault.

* you can blame the excessive worning signs and wildy ditch on children

Yes, not all of them were children - but you're right. Jagex made these updates to protect newer players.

* you can blame the trade limit partly on chldren

This was RWT's fault.

* you can blame the grand exchange most definitely on children

Many experienced players find this useful - me included. I don't think it was catering to any certain type of player. It's beneficial to the community as a whole.

also.......what do you call smoking kills? and hmm that thing on global warming?

its almost like runescape is trying to be a child's educational game

Jagex likes to use clever sayings and prevalent terms as Quest Titles:

A Tail of Two Cats

Cold War

Animal Magnetism

Rocking Out

Back to my Roots

Cabin Fever

Zierro,

The things u said were rwt's fault i said "partly" in my statement, they had the newer/younger population in mind

also.....grand exchange is not beneficial to all players...i lost my whole merching career to it along with the limits

and i along with many others wish it wasn't there

agentkiller4.png

btw...yes this is debatable...my pictures show that they are making it more friendly to children and thats a fact...the warning signs are geared for children don't you see how the graphics got more child friendly?

its not a guess or an estaminet that runescape was going to have blood and gore (aimed for 16+) when they came out with rs2

jagex states: "we need to formulate our updates to better suit the current runescape audience"

thats why jagex took out all the mature content...and started forming a child's game from an intended 16+

I agree with everyelso here. this is not debateable in anyway, well except if it is debateable. :lol: yes lol indeed. Warning sings are there for a reason. For low level players and adventures. Say you have an acount with a high combat level and u walk into the wilderness after being banned from your computer by your parents u stumble acroos the god wars dongoen but being banned from yuor comp you think it's a normal dungoen you can conquer. with out warning sings you walk in then some mad Zamorok follower kills you. WITH warning sings the warning says: "beware this is the god wars dungeon enter only if you are prepared to fight. The average IQ person would go get some food maybe some swordies just to look around and bamo he sees whats inside decides to come back and own some creatures. I know that warnings have greatly aided me in RS
whatcolor_isblue.jpg

also.....grand exchange is not beneficial to all players...i lost my whole merching career to it along with the limits

and i along with many others wish it wasn't there

Oh, well, you know merchanting wasn't ever really an official part of Runescape. It was never officially recognized by Jagex. And merchanting is still possible, even with the G.E. You just need to keep an eye on prices of certain items. I think it's better for players who want to merchant, instead of the simple "Buying all deaths 200ea!" and then "Selling deaths 300ea!!" because this way you learn.

I still don't agree with you calling it the "noobification of Runescape" either. It may be getting easier, but it's not catering specifically to children.

card.png

Most of them are younger players without guidance. If they have guidance (such as a fansite or forum), they seem to mature out in a way. Since most of the "noob" comments are asking how to make money, how to do a quest, etc., by looking at a fansite, they will learn how to do these things which wll allow them to not do it anymore. I got this from personal experience.

j0xPu5R.png

i really didnt get it. What was the difference between pic 2 and pic 3. They r still the same. I think the updates for noobs helped noobs stay in rs longer. usually they would first log in then walk around not knowing wat to do. they would fight then quit later that day. with the whole lumby free tele and all the master skillers it made more noobs stay. oooops i didnt mean noobs i meant newbs. watever u understand.

I wouldn't say *every* lousy update was due to younger players, but then again, take a look at all the warning signs that the Doomsayer has. More than I have fingers and toes.

Anyway, about the "noobification" thing, I guess it will stop. Go any lower than 7, I doubt they'll be able to turn on a computer, much less play on one.

Air_Dragon15.png

I've been playing RuneScape since mid-2003. Obviously I can't say I'm as much of a veteran as you, but honestly? The game, right now, is better than it ever has been. The Grand Exchange has done away with sitting there chanting "Selling rune plate 45k!" and made the game faster and stronger.

That's my two cents.

[English translation needed]

Just throwing this out before posting; I am 14 years old.

Instead of complaining about it, you supposedly older players should be taking a little bit of time to answer their questions. Simply calling them a noob and going off in your own direction doesn't do any good. Now, instead of just someone with a question, you have a depressed and angry someone with a question that may not take to your answer very kindly.

I know I take time out of my day to do this when I have the time, it is actually very self-rewarding.

Saint Vars

Zierro,

The things u said were rwt's fault i said "partly" in my statement, they had the newer/younger population in mind

Since when is the removal of player killing something that Jagex wanted to do(which they never stated they wanted to do) in order to appease younger or newer people? I'm sure many of people, if they had the chance, would've loved player killing. How is player killing worse then killing any npc? There are still just as many risks to dying outside of the wilderness than dying within in it when Pking was still around. If you ever read the Development Diary explaining why they removed PKing, they NEVER said they were trying to appease a younger generation. I have actually died more times by a revenant then by a player killer. And I trust Jagex a lot more than someone who is blindly flinging accusations at a company and also fails to use pictures correctly as evidence. The only thing your pictures have proven is that the graphics have been better since the first days. By the way, the old hill giants didn't have loincloths on them as the one you portrayed does. They had pants on. Does that sound like something Jagex would do for a "younger generation"?

Also, I believe your title is rather incorrect. I usually refer noob to be a term that has a meaning such as "jerk." Newb or newbie is used for newer players. And have really any of the updates that give new warning messages for "newbies" really affected you? They should be no matter to you because you already know about the dangers. If anything, Jagex is doing you a favor to you by reminding you about whatever peril you're about to walk into. And you can eventually turn those warnings off.

As said before, merchanting is still possible with the Grand Exchange. In fact, it might even be easier to merchant. You don't have to wander around worlds or post all over the forums looking for a good buy, and then do the same again trying to sell it at a higher price. You can do it all right there in Varrock! Yes, Jagex is controlling the prices a little, but you can use that to your advantage. Buy at a low price and then sell high!

I also want proof of your statement by Jagex. I want a link to wherever they said that.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

I tend to agree but you need to find some better pictures to prove your point, The game is being geared towards younger players. Young children are generally the ones that get scammed hence anti scam. Young children get upset about losing their items, this has now been made much harder with gravestones instead of a good ole free for all for somebodys loot, and the doomsayer. Lots of youngsters couldn't cope with the wilderness as the older veterans had it down to a fine art. Lastly ill mention the game humour tbh some of it is funny but i can't recall of any jokes that a child wouldn't understand.

Lots of youngsters couldn't cope with the wilderness as the older veterans had it down to a fine art.

That is equivalent to saying that newer players or younger players wouldn't be able to kill boss monsters effectively, do quests, or level a skill efficiently because older players had more experience at those sorts of activities.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

^ Exactly.

And some new players are pretty good at being new =|

I know of a few people who were thrown into PvP and fared pretty well. Some people are just natural born killers. And skillers. And monster slayers.

The point is, younger players DO cope with Runescape and it's many various things. Why was Runescape able to survive years ago if new and young players couldn't cope with it? They did, and just because Jagex decides to make the game a little easier on everyone, doesn't mean they're gearing it towards the young.

card.png