Policy of starred out words

SupportMage

ownedsaifmp7.png

This is a mod saying how contextual evidence will determine the validity of filtered offensive language. This is different than most people think, with that being how anyone reporting someone who's been censored is breaking the rules because of the update.

Anyone care to discuss the validity of this and what it means?

Still alive, still alive.

Asterisks have no potential to hurt anybody. It is up to each person to use their imagination to fill in the blanks should they wish to. They shouldn't even be reportable within an inappropriate context.

usctrojanscopyde6.jpg

Asterisks have no potential to hurt anybody. It is up to each person to use their imagination to fill in the blanks should they wish to. They shouldn't even be reportable within an inappropriate context.

Sure they should. It's stupid to think that you can't offend someone just because it's still sensored. They can still see what you are saying, it sends the same message across.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Some things, even when they are blocked by asterisks, are easy to recognise, and can be offensive, so I say it's ok that some reports are concidered depending on the context.

16185_s.gif

It's actually 100% valid, if you ask me. Whether or not a word is bad is all in connotation, and in many cases, doesn't need to be reported.

For example, I type easily 86WPM, and sometimes in my typing frenzy, I will often mistakenly misspell words, or add spaces where they do not belong. [in this case, let the word be earmuff, or ear muff]. I tell my friend, "Where do you get the face mask and ear muff?", it comes out as "Where do you get the face mask and ear ****?". I don't think that the phrase was offensive in any way, and a report on this basis would waste time.

Now, if someone said "******* revenant it killed me ******", that would be a legitimate report. Of course, you don't have to report it, it's much easier to ignore them.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

O realy...... :shock:

Well I guess some people should read this I've seen alot of starring of words and since Jagex said not to report I don't and I'd only report if it was towards me or my friends anyway.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

News flash: Forum mods do not represent Jagex, and have often been wrong about things like this in the past. I call bs unless a Jagex mod confirms it.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

You can say "**** you" and you will not get any black marks and can NOT be muted for it. (it's always been like this).

You can only get reported for swearing if you try break the filter eg: [hide=CONTAINS SWEAR WORD]"fuhck you"[/hide]

Sorry for swearing, was just pointing out the facts/truth.

That post made by the fmod is 100% correct. Anyways if you still don't get the idea of contextual evidence, let me give you two simple examples.

Ex 1.

"**** you" should not be reported. As you can see, the offensive word is filtered out. However if it's like:

Ex 2.

"**** you, you can **** my **** you piece of ****!" <-- that's a different case because even though the offensive words are starred out, it's obvious that there is malice in it and is reportable.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

Well, moderators know this kind of stuff (they have a little help from the moderator guidelines), so this is most likely true. However, I still wouldn't report stars -unless their spamming- as I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to end up hindering the report system.

Edit: I got .3 black marks for saying, "Go away you *******!" Or something like that.. Anyway, that must show something... Would this be a fair offense?

j0xPu5R.png

You can say "**** you" and you will not get any black marks and can NOT be muted for it. (it's always been like this).

You can only get reported for swearing if you try break the filter eg: [hide=CONTAINS SWEAR WORD]"fuhck you"[/hide]

That's how I thought the rules under offensive language were applied.

I guess I could have been wrong though.

Lider_V.png

That post made by the fmod is 100% correct. Anyways if you still don't get the idea of contextual evidence, let me give you two simple examples.

Ex 1.

"**** you" should not be reported. As you can see, the offensive word is filtered out. However if it's like:

Ex 2.

"**** you, you can **** my **** you piece of ****!" <-- that's a different case because even though the offensive words are starred out, it's obvious that there is malice in it and is reportable.

Yes, exactly.

Still alive, still alive.

News flash: Forum mods do not represent Jagex, and have often been wrong about things like this in the past. I call bs unless a Jagex mod confirms it.

By it's sheer presence and not being deleted it must be concluded that it's 100% true, if there was anything incorrect within the post, Jagex would've edited/removed it fast.

He's right. Sometimes I swear out of frustration on RS, but since asterisks have me covered, there's really nothing to worry about unless I bypassed the filter.

usctrojanscopyde6.jpg

By it's sheer presence and not being deleted it must be concluded that it's 100% true, if there was anything incorrect within the post, Jagex would've edited/removed it fast.

You'd be surprised. It's not like they read every forum mod post.

Back when the world switcher rules were being fought over, forum mods posted a lot of things in direct contradiction with the rules, and often turned out to be very wrong. This is another one of those times when you have to realize that mods are human and can be idiots too.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

You'd be surprised. It's not like they read every forum mod post.

Back when the world switcher rules were being fought over, forum mods posted a lot of things in direct contradiction with the rules, and often turned out to be very wrong. This is another one of those times when you have to realize that mods are human and can be idiots too.

Actually every time we take an action as a moderator.... so issue a ban lock a thread etc....

Jagex have a system that flags it and a member of the forum curator team checks our actions for mistakes, so although not every moderator post is read, every one where we use a moderator power (like this one where the thread was locked) they will be reviewed. So this post will have ben reviewed.

As for the post though, it's a tricky situation. Jagex do ask that censoerd words are not reported, and I believe it's still their polocy not to punnish an account for words that are censored.

However if you have been genuinly offended, or it is clear other have been offended a report would not be the incorrect action. The report will still be reviewed by Jagex, and the evidace provided to them can be kept on record for future..... Technically you should not report for anything that has been censored, although there are exceptions where many people would agree it's appropriate.

sig2webzx7.jpg

Ex 1.

Ex 2.

Wrong, Jagex don't see passed the *'s so basically you could physically type the actual *'s and Jagex wouldn't know if it was a "bad" word or just an asterisk.

Actually every time we take an action as a moderator.... so issue a ban lock a thread etc....

Jagex have a system that flags it and a member of the forum curator team checks our actions for mistakes

Yes, and I'm sure this team is as top of the line and thorough as the team in charge of customer support and reviewing abuse reports.

In other words, let's just say I'm not shocked that things slip through the cracks. I've seen plenty of errors made by forum moderators.

Ex 1.

Ex 2.

Wrong, Jagex don't see passed the *'s so basically you could physically type the actual *'s and Jagex wouldn't know if it was a "bad" word or just an asterisk.

Still anyone can plug in some swear words and figure it out and may be offeneded by that persons choice of words. I'm sure if someone was saying "Bleep you" in Real life that person would get offended because they are not idiots and know what the other person met.

OT: Accepted has been a F Mod forever and a half so I'd trust what she says. ;)

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012