A High Level Approach to Iron Dragons

green9090

The ancient mace is one handed.

picofmaceve1.png

It grants convenience over the sgs if you choose to use it on an iron.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, could have sworn it was 2 handed. I only wielded it once during the quest lol.

So yeah, good luck getting much prayer off an iron with that thing. I'd still highly suggest a dog.

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Jelly.pngOccultEpicKeyer21.pngBladewing.png

The ancient mace has like the stats of a mithril so statistically I doubting it can actually hit irons if you aren't really hitting very well with whip. However, i don't actually own the weapon, so I'm not too sure how well it actually hits in game.

You definitely wouldn't use it on an iron- it's two handed!

The idea is to take it and spec on a dog or black demon, both of which have extremely low defense for 90+ melees potted and piety. A Sara Godsword would obviously hit better and almost always give more prayer, but it's balanced slightly by the fact that you only get 1/4 what you hit in prayer with the SGS spec, and everything you hit with the ancient mace. No healing from the mace though.

Wouldn't care if it was 2 handed or not lol. I've always sgs-speced irons/miths like how i always did on monsters. It tends to use melee alot more than d breath, and you are only tanking 2 hits from it without shield max while specing. With anti-fire, I find that even if the dragon "fires" me, the breath most of the time hits <15, unless you happen to be caught without anti fire, but thats controllable and probability is low. If you just happen to dc while doing the spec.. then um count yourself unlucky i guess. if you still don't trust me, try doing the sgs spec with mage pray.

Sgs is not recommended for "breath-spammers" like kbd or skeletal wyverns.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

Eeeh... I wouldn't do that because a) I tend to hit a LOT of 50+ when I spec demons and dogs, and B) If you did get an unlucky fire hit, it would defeat the whole point of specing.

Also, mage prayer doesn't work on metal dragon breath (or the kbd).

Join "DG Sweepers" Clan Chat for Dungeoneering Floors | Accepting all tipiters who are Willing to Learn |

Very nice ideas there, and they're well written.

One thing I'd suggest is considering Bandos boots. For me, the +1 prayer from them is far better than the +4 strength you get from dragon boots. Mind you, I've never cared much for strength.

I'll be certain to try this out when I next get an iron dragon task. I just wish I had an SGS. :|

ki7Gvlk.png

To hell with humanity;

The more I see, the less I believe.

With such a tiny difference, and my tendency toward strength bonus (owner of full Bandos and owned a berserker ring when I was still training melee :P), I'd just as soon go with the much cheaper dragon boots. However, I can definitely see the argument for Bandos, and added that to the guide.

I don't understand people using things as dfs and sgs as a cheap utility. These are way overpriced items that are not worth this cash. I don't understand why anyone would want to spent 82m on an sgs instead of buying 99 prayer with a little more. And if someone already has 99 prayer and more money left there's always better things to spend it on than overpriced armour and weapons to impress.

I don't understand people using things as dfs and sgs as a cheap utility. These are way overpriced items that are not worth this cash. I don't understand why anyone would want to spent 82m on an sgs instead of buying 99 prayer with a little more. And if someone already has 99 prayer and more money left there's always better things to spend it on than overpriced armour and weapons to impress.

I don't know what to do but to laugh at you. My SGS has helped me make over 60mil at God Wars, and I still have it to sell if I want to. I can also, as I've shown here, use it to kill iron dragons without prayer potions.

What "better things" are you going to use the money on? Prayer levels that barely do anything? You do realize that any stat you buy can't be sold back, right? I still have my SGS after getting all this use out of it. Buy 99 prayer and that money is gone.

Maybe you'll understand one day when you have enough money. Until then, try not to lash out at people with more money than you out of jealousy.

Very good method. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has discovered the limitless power of the bunyip!

Delicious guide, easy to read, short and to the point. However, the requirements are pretty darn high; you ask for both a weapon that is 80M? and 90+ melee stats. I think I'll stick with ranging, but if I ever get an sgs I'll definitely try this method.

Yeah, nor do i have the levels. I'll say it's a good guide though.

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

Eeeh... I wouldn't do that because a) I tend to hit a LOT of 50+ when I spec demons and dogs, and B) If you did get an unlucky fire hit, it would defeat the whole point of specing.

Fair enough, almost half the time I got "fired" with antifire the breath hitted 0 anyway. Only once it was a coincidence I got hitted 44 by breath xD. Great guide, not applicable for me since I got yak. ::'

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

Fair enough, almost half the time I got "fired" with antifire the breath hitted 0 anyway. Only once it was a coincidence I got hitted 44 by breath xD. Great guide, not applicable for me since I got yak. ::'

You'd rather load up a yak with expensive potion than just kill dragons without needing supplies other than super sets and antifire? Personally I like the aspect of not having to spend any money on prayer potion.

Great guide, I will give this a go next time im on task at irons. The only thing I didnt like about irons was the money wasted on prayer pots.

Would you say there is enough free inventory space to bring proselyte top and legs to switch into when praying??? Would you think it's worth it??

Im maxed melee btw.

Great guide, I will give this a go next time im on task at irons. The only thing I didnt like about irons was the money wasted on prayer pots.

Would you say there is enough free inventory space to bring proselyte top and legs to switch into when praying??? Would you think it's worth it??

Im maxed melee btw.

Weell... the issue is you're bringing two super sets (which is six inventory spaces) AND a few antifire, plus some backup prayer (though as you get better you can diminish that to one emergency prayer potion)... A backup bunyip... And then you need all your other gear like alchs, a teleport, money and axe to get in, and you need one free inventory spot to switch to SGS.

You could bring a terrorbird down and use it to hold some potion while you collect drops, and then dismiss it after it has served its purpose, but that would defeat the point, since you pray a LOT more without a bunyip. I'd say just stick with Verac's- you'd be amazed how little iron dragons actually hit at 99 potted def. We mostly pray on them just because we're used to it from lower levels, I've found. I actually thought of this method after a steel took a few shots at me with my prayer down and hit all 0s.

Gonna give this a shot now as i got irons for a task... Will edit this when im done ( =

EDIT: Works great... i did my task (38 irons) with no food and 1 sip of prayer potion. Think i could have done it with no ppot at all but i left piety on at one point by accident.

Only have a few issues with this method.

1: if there anyone else in the front killing irons it tends to be a pain as you have to wait for irons to spawn.

2: i hated trying to juggle my inventory to switch between the sgs and the whip/antifire-shield. Got better after i used a few pots.

3: im training defense atm and i kept forgetting to switch my sgs to defense as it goes to crush when you switch from a whip. Not that i care if i get str exp for a few specs but the crush options not as accurate.

Otherwise i will use this again in the future. Basically costs nothing to do after you get the hang of it. If i had a dfs im sure i could do better but not on my agenda atm.

Also i used bandos pl8 and tassy as i dont have veracs, im sure veracs would work better for this.

dudy80sigy.jpg

Thanks for the sig Rose!

My blog to 99 slayer: Here

• 2 weeks later...

Well researched, well thought out and brilliant results.

Though my skill requirements don't quite meet the requirements of this guide its definately one i'll use once i aquire the Bunyip.

Just out of curiosity, rekon it would work with a void spinner?

IamIronMan_I.png

Just out of curiosity, rekon it would work with a void spinner?

Yes, though I'm not sure exactly how well. The issue is, at a certain point it's going to hurt more than it helps to be sacrificing prayer bonus for melee defense if you're just going to pray most of the time anyway. Steel dragons are that way (though now that I have a unicorn I'm eagerly awaiting my next steel task for round two :P) for me with my bunyip, and I'm afraid irons may be that way for you and your spinner. It's worth a shot though, let me know how it goes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
A whip. Best one handed weapon that I'm aware of.

THE BEST 1H WEAPON IS LEAF-BLADE SWORD!!! :|

It doesn't have to be expensive to be good!

Sorry, I wrote this guide a LONG time before leaf-bladed swords came out. I'll have to try one next time I'm at the dragons, and if I like it I will add it to the guide. Thanks for the pointer!