Can't screenshot in RS fullscreen?

compfreak847

Thought I'd help a few people out with this, I spent a while figuring out the solution. Not sure if many people know this. When you try to take a screenshot in fullscreen JOGL runescape, it will simply show up as a black box. You need to use a 3rd party program to solve this; the best one I've found (compatible with Windows 95-Vista) is FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/download.php) The free version puts a watermark on videos (Not using that feature), limits video length to 30 seconds (Not using that feature) and saves screenshots as BMP (Easy to open and save as a PNG in Paint or any photo editing program). Handy for those tweaking their settings is the added ability to display a frames per second overlay in the corner of the screen, allowing you to see how much each tweak affects your performance. Notice: I am not in any way related to the makers of this program, and am providing it solely to help others. If you are scared of viruses, scan it with any online scanner. I would appreciate it if a mod would do this and edit this post to confirm it. I was originally going to put this in Player Made Guides, but after seeing all the HD graphics related tips\suggestion\guides unlocked in the General Discussion, I decided it would get more views here. So good luck, and happy screenshotting.

(Off topic: I will not be returning to post much for the next 2 weeks; I'm going on a backpacking trip in Northern Canada)

EDIT: Turns out this problem is probably linked to Windows Vista; download the program if you have screenshot problems or want a FPS counter.

I'm leaving in 10 minutes for Canada, 14 hours of driving, then canoe 20 miles, hike 5 (portage twice), and make camp. See you all in a few weeks...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Thx for the advice, although I didn't even know that people were having trouble (I use Fraps anyways) and yes Fraps is completly safe.

It's not just some people, it affects the printscreen and every screenshot program that does not hook into OpenGL. Which means that there are very few programs out there that can screenshot RS. The makers of SwiftKit say they are trying to modify SK to enable it to screenshot fullscreen, saving people the trouble of downloading something like Fraps. Thanks for the confirmation, though.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Yeah I downloaded this last night and it is fairly good.

Edited post ~DarkDude

How many runescape players does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the bulb and the other 49 to complain about how it was better before.

THE MODS THERE ARE COMPLETE AND UTTER IDIOTS!

So why are you here?

a simple solution for "unable to take a screenshot in full screen" is to hit the F key near esc on the far left of your keyboard; lock it. then prt scrn and open up paint and paste. that worked for me without any problems.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

I use Printkey 2000 (which has a free version, the one I'm using) and tried it full screen just now. It did take my screenshot fullscreen, but dumped my screen down to the small size after the capture.

No one needs to get their ass on their shoulders about this

--the_tallest1
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

My deviantart gallery --- Turtlequirks Zazzle

Strange, i've been screenshotting Rs in fullscreen with no problems and I don't have this program.

Odd - do you have any sort of screenshot program running in the background that could be causing that? What OS are you running?

DeviledEgg24.png

i can take screenshots in fullscreen without a program :?

We all can, I think what he means is it's hard to open a program and save it if you're busy playing full-screen.

When you try to take a screenshot in fullscreen JOGL runescape, it will simply show up as a black box.
Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

We all can, I think what he means is it's hard to open a program and save it if you're busy playing full-screen.

When you try to take a screenshot in fullscreen JOGL runescape, it will simply show up as a black box.

Doesn't for me, that's weird then :P

Doesn't for me, that's weird then :P

Wow, I feel dumb right now. I'm pretty sure its tied to windows vista's new window manager, so for me it always goes black but for you XP users it works fine. I guess this is a standard problem with OpenGL under Vista, but could possibly be linked to NVIDIA drivers. I guess ignore the parts about it ALWAYS being like that, and download it if you have screenshot problems. Personally I find the FPS display alone worth the download.

DeviledEgg24.png

Hey comp!

Thanks for making this thread, it helped me a bit further. :)

I can now take pics from fullscreen RS using Fraps, before I used ScreenCaptor but it gave me a plain blank image file and it shut down the fullscreen mode. Though, Fraps does the latter too. :( I'm getting somewhere already but if someone knows how to get this fixed, do tell please. So long I'll handle with taking screens and toggling fullscreen over and over! :D

PS: I love the FPS on the top of my screen now. I'm around 35 FPS, I heard that's not bad with everything on max and on 1280x1024 resolution?

PS 2: I use Vista.

it does nto do it for me but in full screen i use Howies Quick Screen Capture

it can do bmp jpg and even png :)

It saves as a filename+## so when you do alot of quests :)

and works for me :)

mementh.jpeg

The following statement is true. The previous statement is false. 60% of all statistics are made up 90% of the time

andrew i love you & want you to have my babys!!! <3:

Finally, I get to save the Earth with deadly lasers instead of deadly slide shows!

Hopefully there's some genius out there who can confirm why some have this problem or a possible fix for it (besides programs like this).

With that being said it really doesn't bother me, it just means less cropping work to do in paint :thumbup:

1 to change the bulb and the other 49 to complain about how it was better before.

So why are you here?

I use vista and I have no problems, Perhaps something to do with Graphics Card? I am using a ATI Radeon something, but when I tried it on my other PC with a NVIDIA card, it wouldn't work.

Odd... :ohnoes:

acantha.gif

Stephen Hawking is now a honorary member of the Runecrafting Guild. He was also given a free sex change from the Make-over Mage.

off topic but woot im in 2 peoples siggys >.>

Make that 3!

Just use Gadwin PrintScreen, it gets the job done :)

I've been using this for ages with my normal RS screens - doesn't work for me under full screen.

It does sound like it's an Nvidia problem as I have a 8400 and it doesn't like me taking pictures other than with fraps :(

Just use Gadwin PrintScreen, it gets the job done :)

I've been using this for ages with my normal RS screens - doesn't work for me under full screen.

It does sound like it's an Nvidia problem as I have a 8400 and it doesn't like me taking pictures other than with fraps :(

Hmm, weird, I have nVidia GeForce Go 7300 with TurboCache and I can screenshot fine.

I have 8400 GS and mine doesn't work, so maybe we're nailing it down a bit :P

*waits for someone with a completely different card to post*

So why are you here?

nVidia users try the following:

• [*:31er584v]Before you login, choose full-screen mode.

[*:31er584v]Now exit full-screen mode (don't press quit).

[*:31er584v]Go back into full-screen mode.

[*:31er584v]Press PrintScreen on it's own (don't use ALT). (if you don't use programs to take screenshots for you)

[*:31er584v]If using
Gadwin PrintScreen change your setting to capture the "full window" not the "client window".

Hope this helps ;)

Works fine for me on my ATI Radeon X600. Hit Print Screen, and paste into GIMP with no problems.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."