Waterfiends for Experts (88+ Summoning)

qeltar

Note: This is not a "comprehensive guide" -- it is intended for high-level players who already know how to fight waterfiends. So.. no background blah blah and no pictures.

I've tried a lot of different things to find the best way to fight waterfiends, even venturing into the suicide zone (the multicombat waterfiends room) and this is the best I've come up with.

WARNING: This is an advanced and dangerous method. Don't attempt if you aren't comfortable with Dharoking dangerous critters, or if you are distracted or lagging.

Requirements:

- Very high melee combat skills (95+)

- Very high Magic (90+)

- High prayer (80+, higher is better)

- Level 88 Summoning

- Low risk aversion

Equipment:

- Full Dharoks

- Fury

- Skillcape

- "Barrows" gloves

- Dragon boots

- Berserker ring (Substitute a ring of life until you get used to the method!)

Supplies:

- One-click teleport (MANDATORY! I use a House teletab)

- Unicorn stallion pouch

- 50 or so Healing aura scrolls

- 1 4-dose super set

- 10 sets of alching runes

- 14 4-dose prayer potions

- Holy wrench

- 4 pieces of good food (I use pineapple pizzas, sharks are fine)

Starting:

1. Bank at the Grand Tree. Load all your stuff up, run to the whirlpool and jump in.

2. Put your weapon on "crush", turn on Protection from Magic and go downstairs. Run south and then west to the second waterfiend area. Run well past the green dragon area, towards the back of the waterfiends' zone.

3. Put on Protection from Ranged and Piety. Summon the unicorn stallion and start fighting, taking the first dose of super set between hits.

Combat tips:

- Use the unicorn's scrolls for your primary healing. Reserve at least one piece of food (either brought or one of the sharks the waterfiends drop) for emergencies.

- Do not go below 20 HP. It really doesn't make that much difference in terms of damage done, overall, but it's quite risky to get too low on these guys, especially since the unicorn scroll has a short delay before it activates.

- If you run out of food, keep your HP higher than normal by using scrolls when the special bar is full even if you are above 20 HP. I sometimes go up to 50 HP, don't worry, it won't last long.

- Watch your prayer and drink p pot sips regularly -- you'll use them up fast and if your prayer runs out, you are toast.

- Take drops as you have room for them, concentrating on stackables. You can alch between hits if you time it right.

- If you are unlucky you might run out of food and spec bar. If so, hit the one-click tele and come back again, it's not worth dying over.

Results:

- For me each trip lasts about 36 minutes during which I get 80 to 85 kills. This works out to 130 to 140 kills per hour, not including banking and prep time, or 115 to 125 kills per hour with banking and prep time.

- You get a charm nearly every kill, about 80-85% of them crimsons. So you can get 100+ crimsons an hour.

- This method is expensive in supplies used, but you get back a fair amount of what you spend in drops. It is about 60% as fast as Ice Barraging rock lobsters (in terms of Summoning XP gained in charms) and costs 5% as much per hour to do.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

PLoP! People Love Pictures!

other than that, good guide.

6/10

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

There's nothing to take pictures of here. It's information about an advanced technique; if you need pictures, it's not for you anyway. ;)

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It's simple, Vincent: I can buy prayer pots. I cannot buy charms.

With this technique you get more charms than any other method in the game other than spending 1M+ an hour ice barraging rock lobsters.

And if anyone saw me there with Karil's, well, I try lots of methods. This one is definitely the fastest.

signew2.png

A detailed guide, containing original methods and a well thought out idea. Surprise surprise, the author is Qeltar. :P

Awesome guide, I'll consider using this method if I ever want to go Fiend camping again. :)

hmm.. i have seen that name before.. ooh i know. ur the author of truthscape ::'

fond of ur guides on there.. very comprehensive, maybe u could make one on waterfiends there, having read some other monster hunting guides uve written it would probably shed some light on various methods :)

Proud owner of firemaking cape!

you're not getting that many more charms and having to pay so much attention and do so much clicking isnt a viable alternative to bunyip/karil's etc.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

why protect from range?, aren't you taking alot of damage from the mage attack of the waterfiends on your armour....?

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

why protect from range?, aren't you taking alot of damage from the mage attack of the waterfiends on your armour....?

Have you been to Waterfiends before? Their Ranged attack rips most people to pieces, you won't get a good long trip without it.

your debate techniques are always 'on'.

Well, I posted a guide that I think some people will be useful, and you barged in and called it "pointless". Did you expect me not to reply? :P

i can tell you now, leveling summoning isnt that hard for those people that dont mind training combat.

Of course it's not hard -- if you want to do it slow. The faster you want to do it, the more difficult (or expensive) it becomes.

you title the post with "for experts" posturing yourself so that if someone says hey that's no good, you can say well it's not for everyone... :)

No, I said the method is for experts because.. it's for experts. You need to be familiar with how to get to and fight waterfiends and how to stay alive while Dharoking something with two attack types. You also need high skill levels and 88 Summoning.

about the banking thing, dont underestimate that. you do get distracted and i suggest people stay down there AS LONG AS YOU CAN POSSIBLY STAY DOWN THERE. because going back IS actually a huge pain.

Yesterday you said "even if you do get hit and eat you can easily bank and come back. what's the big deal."

You seem confused.

anyway, you're taking 14 4 dose prayer pots and lasting 36 minutes? it doesnt sound to me like you're getting that many more charms per hour anyway. you may want to save those prayer pots and use piety and karil's. but whatever.

Seems to me you are talking out of your hat (to put it politely). My guess is you've never even tried this method, but that didn't stop you calling it "pointless". :roll:

There are lots of methods, and I really don't care which one you like to use -- have fun however you wish. But those who want to kill them as fast as possible and have the skill levels to do this technique should consider it.

It takes about 22,000 crimson charms to get from 88 to 99. With conventional methods that's almost 300 hours of camping at waterfiends -- with this method it is a little over 200. That's a lot of time saved.

And as I said before, the method isn't that expensive anyway, because the fiends have good drops. You kill them faster so you get more water orbs, mith arrows and so forth.

Finally, since you are killing them faster, you also get more XP per hour.

signew2.png

i doubt anyone would do that to 99 summoning.

99 strength for me is comparable to getting the charms for the steel titan and look how many people have 99 strength...

the method i've used is: kill as many as i can as fast as i can so to say that your method gets much more charms is not true. and i'm not going down there in dharok's with 14 prayer pots. that's silly and overkill.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

I wrote a long reply but I removed it.

Let me summarize this simply: Don't knock it til you've tried it.

I am not saying this is the only way or the best way to do this. It IS the fastest way. If you don't like it, fine, but please don't declare it "pointless" or make up nonsense about it because I guarantee you have not tried as many methods as I have to kill waterfiends. :)

signew2.png

I saw a nearly IDENTICAL guide over at TSG posted before this I'm fairly certain... and I honestly don't see this as a common idea to kill waterfiends, so either one ripped off the other or it's a collaberation. Though hell, it may have been written by you at TSG, I don't remember the author on their forum and it may have been you. I suggest you check it out to be sure people are not stealing your guide. It was on their site before this was on TIF, pretty certain, but this guide may be on TS before that even, wouldn't know, havn't checked. Cba to find out the author of the post on TSG, browsing the internets on my phone. Insomnia 1, Me 0.

Tested.

I've found this technique extremely useful, and I myself will probably continue using this until 99 str which is around 1m more xp. It is pretty dangerous though, so I wouldn't reccomend it for anyway that doesn't pay much attention. It's not overly dangerous or anything though.

I've noticed something. Thanks to the low attack speed of the dharock's axe, you can eat a food, drink 2 doses of pots, pick up loot, and even alch during hits. None of which you could with a Zammy spear or a SS.

Great tip queltar, I'll definetely be using this, probably past 99 str and even to 99 summon. :D Thankfully with waterfiend's great drops I don't have to worry much about money. Vincent, try it out before flaming.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

this seems like something good to try but then theres the dangerous part to it, i only have one question, why in the multi section of waterfiends? wouldnt this work just as efficiently and with less risk and the single combat waterfiends?

a_final_name.png

Have you been to Waterfiends before? Their Ranged attack rips most people to pieces, you won't get a good long trip without it.

But won't the mage attacks just beat dharoks around?

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

But won't the mage attacks just beat dharoks around?

The solution to that, my friend, is the unicorn (obviously needed.. bunyip wont work) and the 4 pieces of food. They do protect from range because range for some reason hits WAY HARDER and way more often than mage does. That's why you protect from the strongest and let your unicorn heal the mage attacks.

Thanks for the verification, Inuashakent.

Here's what I just came back with after a 40 minute trip (took 15 instead of 14 p pots and stretched things a bit by conserving prayer better.)

wfdh_drops.png

(Look! A picture! Now my guide score will go up! :P)

signew2.png

I usually don't get good results Dharoking stuff, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway and it worked reasonable well. I actually ended up getting ~10% more charms than I do with Void melee and Piety. However, I used about double the prayer pots making it a very high cost method

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png