Get your pixel shading practice over here!

Quer_Skulll

Welcome

Ok well let me explain!

The deal is simple; i've got some lineart here both old and semi-new, there right here for YOU! to practice your shading on.

It has come to my attention in the past.. urh.. 11 months (ive been here for that long..) only few knew what exactly the deal is when it comes to shading.

Let me explain that one; When you shade you dont just add more colors to make it perty or set it to a decent lightsource.. NO you add Depth and Shape to the image two similiar but very Important factors..

you dont whant to let your characters look like cardboards do you?

So practice on these and post your results or any comments, me myself and i + perhaps other posters will give you c/c and advise.

I will substain being helpfull and will not flame anyone if they behold there selfs to the rules of practice only (meaning no selling or using the sigs).

You can btw call this a sort of part three of my pixel tutorials..

if you whant to start of with a white base of colors (but keep the lineart) or change the lineart to black outlines feel free to do so.

Good luck

1.1 Practice

practice19rt.png

1.1 Results

1.zimlem1qk.png

Quer_Skull

c/c: none

2.1 Practice

practice25nh.png

2.1 Results

1.aiyakliblazer33yy.png

Quer_Skull

2.aiyaklinewsig24ec.png

Quer_Skull

3.1 Practice

practice34yv.png

3.1 Results

1.aiyaklisword7zd.png

Quer_Skull

2. aiyaklisword17bg.png

Quer_Skull

4.1 Practice

practice46cn.png

4.1 Results

haddafinished30dl.png

Quer_Skull

Practice without base colors! thank you for your help Terley and Themanwitdaplan

1.2 Practice

colourpractice17aq.png

Thank you Terley

1.2 Results

colourfinished11lx.png

Terley

c/c: Well its hard to find something wrong with this one so ill go with the minor details.

the outline on his skin seems a bit to light, sometimes when outline is to light or to dark compared to the obect it outlines, the lineart will become fuzzy.

Theres dark spots around the text, they make the text harder to read..

Theres somesort of vulcano shaped darker spot on the cape.. it looks out of place and not really like something you see in a cape.

2.2 Practice

colourpractice28fn.png

by Terley

2.2 Results

terleypixelsigmaker4vs.png

Terley

c/c: well moste of my comments will be made upon the male character to the right.

There simply isnt mcuh depth in his skin and pants it kind of makes him look like a cardboard.. however his chest doesnt suffer this problem.

to creat depth use a higher contrast between colors (dont contrast to much or you will create a metal shine)

+ Darken the outline of the girls cooking .. uhh thingy the thing she has on.

3.2 Practice

colorpractice4cj.png

other version posted above at at "2.1 P" press Ctr+F and type that in to find it.[/img]

signature_1.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, you got any uncolored lineart? That would be awesome *rubs hands together greedily*

well.. you could fill the colors white and change the outlines to black..

to late to do it now, if need ill do it tomorow.

o and yes i did that all pixel by pixel..

signature_1.gif

I must say, this piece is awesome

haddafinished30dl.png

I agree, that thing owns plain and simple :D... Not to spam up :roll:

But lots of new pixelers do have troubles shading so it would be good if they pracitce.

Bjbsk8er2 : Playing since 2001.

: 126 Combat Since June 2006 :

RedSox.png

awesome idea man! Hope this helps loads of people. :D

I may do one later once I finish the one I'm currently on :)

oilertaych6.gif

[Admin Edit: Religious text Not permitted]

~108 combat~

5.9k dusties killed / dragon chain :D

heh nice idea, this should be stickied so people new to pixel art dont have to be told again and again and again how to shade.... You should do one for colouring aswell Quer cus were getting all sorts of weird colours for skin, grass, sky etc.. It's so simple when you get the hang of it..

You mind if I post a couple? cus they should really vary their styles. imagine that, hundreds of Quer_Skulll's :lol:

colourpractice17aq.png

To shade

colourfinished11lx.png

Final version

colourpractice28fn.png

To shade

terleypixelsigmaker4vs.png

Final version

vistame09copyhr8.png

Cheer up tip.it, every post I read is full of sarcasm and negativity.. We all need to get along better!

Awesome quote! [/sarcasm]

lol ok, jk, i had to say it.

This is a good idea, having people practice on great art!

girlsigfi1.png

axeraider70.deviantART.com

color=red]Welcome[/color]

4. Practice

practice46cn.png

4. Results

haddafinished30dl.png

Quer_Skull

I must say, ar those two the same piece :|

lol, SUCH a difference.

I may try this later, perhaps put it in a little minimalistic sig for practice :D

terly wrote:

Cheer up tip.it, every post I read is full of sarcasm and negativity.. We all need to get along better!

:D its not a quote, just a message to tell everyone to cheer up..

people are waay too grumpy these days, especially giving one word replies like

rubbish
.. Not really good advice... And why comment about it what I wrote?? Since when do you give critisism to a quote, cmn...

:evil: ^^SEE FKING SARCASM^^ :evil:

Well what Im getting at is that we need to learn to live with or ignore idiots and stop adding unwanted comments, I bet theres loads of people simply too scared of joining tip.it with fear of getting mocked.. :( shame on you nasty people..

vistame09copyhr8.png

terly wrote:

:D its not a quote, just a message to tell everyone to cheer up..

people are waay too grumpy these days, especially giving one word replies like

rubbish
.. Not really good advice... And why comment about it what I wrote?? Since when do you give critisism to a quote, cmn...

:evil: ^^SEE FKING SARCASM^^ :evil:

Well what Im getting at is that we need to learn to live with or ignore idiots and stop adding unwanted comments, I bet theres loads of people simply too scared of joining tip.it with fear of getting mocked.. :( shame on you nasty people..

Actually this forum really helps me with debate/law class since so much debating and arguing goes on here.

girlsigfi1.png

axeraider70.deviantART.com

color=red]Welcome[/color]

4. Practice

practice46cn.png

4. Results

haddafinished30dl.png

Quer_Skull

I must say, ar those two the same piece :|

lol, SUCH a difference.

I may try this later, perhaps put it in a little minimalistic sig for practice :D

Haha :lol: yes there the same lol

ooohhh im looking forward to see your result :D

Thanks allot Terley and themanwitdaplan i updated the first post with that stuff :D

and please try to keep the discussion of this thread unless it has to do with this thread.

signature_1.gif

could only be bothered doing the guy

guy1mb.png

practice25nh5ij.png

1. helmet sort of looks out of place however that might of been because its the only part with a colored outline :wink: '

The Pectorials are executed nicely i must say and the part below it is nice to.. however below that (the abdomnials and such) it just seems like a round tube..

his crotch area seems rather flat, try putting a bump there with highlight and depth and such.

you seem to have colored the top armor as it is one piece i ask myself how would you take it of? but since it is just a drawing it doesnt really matter if you change it or not. but well its supossed to be armor pads and leather protection clothing underneath it... (hence i always do that blue/black-ish clothing underneath the armor)

the shield and weapon look to gradient-ish and i cant really say i like the color match

nice! very nice! its a bit bright but thats personal preference messing with ya.

only advises are to do the outline color on the left side (to us) of the arm to create an element of overlaping.. it sort of blends with the the rest of the body.

i love how you did the head

and is just me or does he look.. less buff?i think it has something to do with the neck/head positioning.

the leg pads seem connected.. wasnt the intention but well to all there own style :wink: the kneepads should be disconnected from the leg pads for freedom of movement.

the rest of the flaws i see in there are my own...

signature_1.gif

i've never pixeled before and have no idea how to do any of this... so if u dun mind me askin a few questions... :D

1)you did all of that shadeing on paint? no other programs involved?

2)how do i take the picture from your post and put it into the paint program on my computer so i can practice on it?

3)about how long does it take for you to make a sig from scratch? :D

that's all for now :) i'll ask more when/if i think of em.

TY!

i've never pixeled before and have no idea how to do any of this... so if u dun mind me askin a few questions... :D

2)how do i take the picture from your post and put it into the paint program on my computer so i can practice on it?

TY!

1. Any good pixel artist would do shading on paint, its easy when you get the hang of it though you just have to adapt the shading to your style.. Its tempting to do gradiant shading but trust me, DONT USE GRADIANTS, IT USUALLY MAKES IT LOOK LIKE CARDBOARD (FLAT).. listen to what Quer says, he's one of the best.

2. Simply right click on a picture you want to colour in and press copy (CTRL+C), open paint and paste it (CTRL+V)..

3. The longer you spend on it the better it will probably be. Though through experience it will come more naturally to you so you wont have to spend ages on a pixel sig.. I personally spend max about 4 hours on a sig but some people take much longer.. If your thinking of drawing one out from scratch id advise ya to plan it out on paper and draw out the linework on paint, that wont take you long and then you can eventually start to colour it in.

This is linework. needs clean lines so it looks better because its only a small picture, any small mistake in the linework is noticable..

colourpractice28fn0xs.png

Oh Quer, im leaving the shading tips to you.. Im still learnin :oops:

vistame09copyhr8.png

TY!

1. Any good pixel artist would do shading on paint, its easy when you get the hang of it though you just have to adapt the shading to your style.. Its tempting to do gradiant shading but trust me, DONT.. listen to what Quer says, he's one of the best.

2. Simply right click on a picture you want to colour in and press copy (CTRL+C), open paint and paste it (CTRL+V)..

3. The longer you spend on it the better it will probably be. Though through experience it will come more naturally to you so you wont have to spend ages on a pixel sig.. I personally spend max about 4 hours on a sig but some people take much longer.. If your thinking of drawing one out from scratch id advise ya to plan it out on paper and draw out the linework on paint, that wont take you long and then you can eventually start to colour it in.

This is linework. needs clean lines so it looks better because its only a small picture, any small mistake in the linework is noticable..

colourpractice28fn0xs.png

Oh Quer, im leaving the shading tips to you.. Im still learnin :oops:

That was quite good Terley and covers it :D though the program Graphics Gale (easy to look up at google, Free) will work just as well as paint only difference is that it will save you an hour of work with all the color selecting.

the reason it does this is because the color system is user friendly and easy accesable (its next to your "drawing area" and you can take sample colors with right click.

And it has layers.. but i dont use those anyway..

And im sure you mean DO instead of DONT, it says DONT listen to what quer says.. :shock:

Ill comment on your shading later StonedPriest sorry for the inconvience, i want to use a drawing to explain but ive got a test in german.. bleh..

signature_1.gif