War on RWT - Why this new feature?

Hidhaeg

Jagex removed the wilderness, along with many other features, to combat Real World Trading. I accept these changes, and I really don't mind them.. However, it seems a bit weird that they now have introduced 'Item Lending'. Great, give it a few months, and there'll be sites charging you $5 for use of a Godsword for 24 hours.

Am I the only one here, who thinks that was a silly move, if they're truly trying to battle RWT?

Oohh wow, 5 dollars over 24 hours? That's a hell of a business income you've got there, I make more than that in a half hour of working. #-o

Oh and because 5 dollars over 24 hours per account is so much better than hundreds of dollars for a godsword.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Who would be foolish enough to rent a Godsword for $5/24h anyway? Sounds to me like you're worrying over absolutely nothing.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I imagine it would become a pretty big business, over time. Not everyone has high-levelled friends.

It doesn't have to be $5, it could be any amount of money. Back while RWT was still big, you could buy 5 million coins for $50. Jagex seemed to care about that - so why should this be any different?

No one in their right mind is going to spend $5 or more on a godsword for 24 hours. That just screams of stupidity. And anyone that would doesn't deserve to be playing the game.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

No one in their right mind is going to spend $5 or more on a godsword for 24 hours. That just screams of stupidity. And anyone that would doesn't deserve to be playing the game.

I bet you if you took a poll a good bunch of players WOULD GLADY pay money to use certain items for X time.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Item loaning will never have as much of an effect on the economy as RWT.

This is possible, however it's much easier to control ;)

Jagex have already said that there will be changes to the item lending system based on feedback. :)

I bet you if you took a poll a good bunch of players WOULD GLADY pay money to use certain items for X time.

Though the RWT'ers would have quite a line waiting for an Armadyl Godsword, I'd think. Say I'm going to pay $20 to use it for the day or however much. I'm not the only one that wants it, I'm going to have to wait however many days there are people in front of me for. The sword isn't exactly something that RWT'ers can farm easily...

How many of those would wait days on end to use the item for just 24 hours?

Though the RWT'ers would have quite a line waiting for an Armadyl Godsword, I'd think. Say I'm going to pay $20 to use it for the day or however much. I'm not the only one that wants it, I'm going to have to wait however many days there are people in front of me for. The sword isn't exactly something that RWT'ers can farm easily...

How many of those would wait days on end to use the item for just 24 hours?

Ah. I was under the impression that you could loan as many items as you wanted to people.

Yeah, if that isn't the case, it renders this whole rant obsolete. :wall:

Not exactly...

There are millions of RWT accounts, and probably thousands with enough cash on them to buy GS's and other items.

If one site controls 1,000 accounts with GSs, and charge $10 a day, thats till $10,000 they can make a day if people demand it.

*Stops googleing "lend godsword $5/24 hours"*

ahem...... ye its stupid, but i could see people doing it, Unless that was for forums such as the main rsof thread and tip.its thread that advertise lending items

it would just not be lucrative enough to make a profit imo,

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

What I find funny is that everyone wanted to lend items to their friends. Then they were able to do that. Now they're complaining about it now. :roll:

I am not complaining. I think it's a great feature, but could easily be abused.

Why didn't they just keep free-trade? They've taken out a great feature, and replaced it with a not-so-good of a feature, that can still be abused in the same way.

Jagex removed the wilderness, along with many other features, to combat Real World Trading. I accept these changes, and I really don't mind them.. However, it seems a bit weird that they now have introduced 'Item Lending'. Great, give it a few months, and there'll be sites charging you $5 for use of a Godsword for 24 hours.

Am I the only one here, who thinks that was a silly move, if they're truly trying to battle RWT?

Hmmm....you're right. I guess I'll have to stop lending and recieving items so that I don't become a "casualty" :wall:

Edit: true. Since you can only lend 1 item per account, RWT would need 1 customer for every account. No the other way around: one account per customer. EACH with a AGS. It would be theoretically possible for a lvl 3 to get a gs since all of the easy lumby ways to make money exist now. But it would take an incredibly long amount of time to do so. I would say that there are only about 20-30k RWT employees who actually do the trading. I got the number based on the amount of accounts that quit rs after the 08 update (60k)If all of them rented a gs for $5/24 hours, the profit of the gross income of the day would be $100,000-$150,000. And that's assuming that ALL of the accounts had a GS. Then they have to pay the employees. $1 an hour would be a good estimate I expect. That's 70-120k. Then minus the expenses for running the place, that would be much more expensive since there are many places of operations, so about another $10k-15k spent. So at the end of the day, that's about 65-100 thousand dollars a day MAXIMUM. Oh wait, how long would it take to get the gs? The cost effective thing assuming the accounts would be banned would be to buy memebrship after 30m was earned. That's $5 per account. WAIT! That's amoutn per 24 hours! So then they would need to up the price to ~ 8-10$ per 24 hours to make a profit. And if or when Jagex finds the suspicios activity and bans the accounts, they would have to start all over again with the money earning. There are so many roadblocks that can really screw up the gold farmers that they would still enforce the rules but not pursue it because the threat would be so minor. Also, remember that the 30k total employees is including multiple businesses, so there's competition in prices and those profits would be split between the amount of companies. Even if it's just five companies, that would only be $20,000 a day maximum. And I am SURE that the number of business was MUCH larger than just 5...

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Jagex needs to just accept that RWT is a fairly big part of the online gaming community. They're the only company that I know of that is actively fighting against it. And in the process they're hurting their game, badly.

Actually, a bunch of p2p mmo's actively fight against gold farmers. Eve is one of them. Blizzard sued and won a case against a major gold farming company in California (I think.) The only one's that don't actively fight are f2p whose main income are those who buy their silk, gold, currency and buy items at the item mall and then go ahead and bot their way to the max lvl. SRO is TEEMING with bots. Basically EVERYONE who is lvl 80 on that game is a bot or botted the vast majority of their time to 80. Basically, if you are playing a f2p game with an item mall, chances are that they're bot ridden. Unless it's a private server. There's probably more people who actually play the World of Warcraft game for fun on private servers than the players who play the actual game since a good portion are gold farmers.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg