Free to Play?? or Watch Ads to Play??

TeamBloody

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you were given a car with a couple ads on it, would you call it free? of course!

ftp-ers are not paying a penny, and therefore it is free in monetary value. Time and effort could be taken into consideration as well, but that's another story

Also, firefox has add-ons to block those ads... :x

-Kaosmerchant

sig1.gif

Send me a PM if you'd like any style of sig done - I'd be glad to help you out.

Ok, if this isn't a rant, this is my opinion.

If 5 seconds of advertisements when you log in, just is too much for you... GTFO. And if some mystical force MAKES you watch those ads up the top, GTFO AND GO SEE A COUNSELOR. Ads help Jagex generate revenue, the reason they created rule 15 is because they care about the people who spend money advertising on RuneScape. If they didn't, they'd get about half as many businesses willing to advertise, without some sort of punishment if they're blocked.

If you complain about the ads, go away, you don't help Jagex, they don't want you, you do nothing for them (if you're f2p).

They create 80 Servers in 15 different countries, and these servers cost about $500+ a month EACH (I used to run a SA-MP server, I WOULD KNOW)... It's not like those servers are free.

If anybody posts on here, who are f2p, and complains... You're @#$%*@ up real bad.

My 2 cents.

-Shiv

99 Woodcutting Achieved on 17th December 2007

Barrows Drops: 1 x Great Axe; 3 x Brassard; 1 x K Coif; 1x Dh Helm; 2 x Guthans Plate; 1 x Ahrim Hood; 1 x Ahrim Skirt; 2 x Flail; 1 x X-bow; 2 x Dharok Legs.

LMsmallsigcopy.jpg

They make me lag... every time the ad changes, I have to lag for 15seconds otherwise, they dont bother me.

He isn't refferring to those, he's refferring to the ones that show before they let you log on. Try it.

And yes, they are neccesary.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Well, if you were given a car with a couple ads on it, would you call it free? of course!

-does worship emote-

The kid's right! =D>

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

I'm sure this has been mentioned many times before, but just to clarify.

No ads = No F2P

Adverts bring money into Jagex for them to keep alive the F2P servers.

They make me lag... every time the ad changes, I have to lag for 15seconds otherwise, they dont bother me.
Some of them make me lag aswell, which is why I think all of the adverts should be still images instead of Flash.

Massbleeding.png

^dds'er in progress =D

It's free, other than a whole 10 seconds of your time.. Big Whoop.. RSHD is definetly worth 10 seconds.

The ad to get into in HD is the only one you have to look at. The others are just on the side, and it's easy enough to ignore them.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

There were no ads when there were only a small amount of people playing, thus it costs less to upkeep, and they only added them when they asked for donations, but barely got any.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

• 4 weeks later...
If you aren't paying to play...the ads are necessary. Through displaying ads, Jagex makes money, thus if you aren't giving them money to play, they have to get it somehow. Running such a large website with such high graphics is not cheap.

Excactly

Bite down and suck it up

Cloudpwns572.png

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, but what? I'm a long time F2P player, and I know as well as everybody else does, that without those ads there would be no F2P. I have no idea what you're complaining about.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

I never knew how much fail could be packed into a thread. (Directed at OP)

You don't have to WATCH the ads. The rule simply states "Don't block them." You don't have to watch them, nor do you have to even glance at them. It's there so, when one day a person goes "I need -insert so and so here-" and they look at the advert and go "Oh hey! Lemme look at this..." This way, the company pays Jagex to advertise their product and Jagex does not have to charge you guys. It's a win-win.

In short, It's F2P, not WatchAds2Play.

Valid_Logic.png

I had a piece of grass on my shoe, and she wiped that off. Yeah. Impressive, eh? That's probably the closest I've ever been to having sex. :P

It is watch ads to play completly. I don't think they gain money from us watching the ads but I do think they break even from it. personly I am not bothered by the ads and only once has it been a problem when it was making me lagg. I simply sent in a report on it disturbing me and they sent back they would no longer show that ad.

In fact, I do have some pancake mix.

2ic8sw5.png

This is sad. F2P is not members for a reason. As explained by Jagex:

The adverts you see on the top of the page pay for the free version of the game.

If Jagex couldn't make money from those, there would be no F2P and instead would be a trial period like Blizzard does.

Kisfvo.png

Kisfvo.png

Not as good as they could be, but I'm working on it.

Also, I'm wondering...

Did Jagex make you watch some of the ADS before you could play? No

Do you have to look at the ads at any time? No

Is the ad in any way inhibiting you? No

If it is bothering you alot, SCROLL DOWN.

*gasp

new concept

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, I don't understand how ADs threaten you? If they lag you, you can always report them.

Just look into the game window, ok?

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

I really don't care about the ads to be honest. I'm a P2P person and I'd still have the ads up there! It doesn't make much difference, I never notice them and if Jagex is getting a bit of moola to keep themselves going from me just being there, I have no objections.

Sure, there are ads. They don't force you to notice them in great detail and click them. If you're F2P you should accept that there are advertisements and instead of you paying, those ads will pay for you. Ha, even if you're on the INTERNET you should accept that there are advertisements!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Change screen resolution to make it larger, then you can scroll down to hide the ad.

Problem solved ;)

I don't mind having the ads there, just comes with the territory.

Legil_galad2.png

Woodcutting does not raise your combat level because most people do not play as yew trees.

Why do free players always do this? SOME of them are like wild animals...you feed them and they want more.

You are getting something that has taken many people ages to perfect...and you are getting it at NO cost whatsoever. So stop complaining.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Why do free players always do this? SOME of them are like wild animals...you feed them and they want more.

You are getting something that has taken many people ages to perfect...and you are getting it at NO cost whatsoever. So stop complaining.

=D> Wild Animals and F2p players. I love your theory. Good Job!!

But how to wild animals related to this topic??

Fools!! Having Wilderness Pking back is harder than Letting camels pass through the needle's hole!!

The author isn't asking for anything, he's just being an idiot. Also, I think it's more accurate just to say that (sadly) many F2P'ers are idiots. Luckily though, most people like that wind up quitting in a matter of months...only to be replaced by more.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

I think it has become Watch Ads to Play, but for good reason. There are a ton of F2P players, and because they are F2P, Jagex doesn't make any money off them. So the ads are Jagex's way of paying for their server upkeep and the updates. If the ads give you problems, just set them to low detail.

Argorn5757.png

Argorn5757.png