I want to start learning bass

Kalphite

I've been thinking about it for about a year now, but I've decided that I want to learn how to play bass guitar. The thing is that I have no idea where to start, as far as brands, amps, or anything like that. If it matters, I would mostly be using it for rock or metal, but I know it will likely be a long time before I can actually use it in a band.

I have an Ibanez bass and it works pretty well for me. The key to being successful is just to not give up. Even if you suck when you first pick it up, practice and you will get better and better.

I've been wanting to learn bass too but I can't afford it with all the tuition I have to pay. I play my friend's bass every now and then. Here's a helpful webpage/forum that you can read through http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6 I always enjoy hearing about people trying new things. Good luck and stick with it!

Zaataar.png

I only started playing bass about a year ago, but I've been playing guitar for longer than that. I think a great starter bass is the Squier P-Bass. Great value for money. You could easily pick one up for $200-$300. I'd also recommend getting it in a package with an amp so you can get it all a bit cheaper.

You really don't need to start thinking about genre-specific instruments until you're a bit more advanced, so don't worry about buying a "metal" bass just yet.

Cool.

Mmm, P-Basses so sexy. Goodluck man, we need more decent bassists out there.

All basses bow down to the Rickenbacker 4001, with the ugly pickup cover removed of course. That's a stereo pickup under there, and the bass has two output jacks to run to left and right channels for that fat Ricky sound.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I don't play bass, but I've seen my friend play and I've seen the brands that he uses so I'll just give you that info.

Ibanez owns. Period. He has a bass amp (which is Ibanez) and it seems to work well for him. I've heard Fender makes good basses as well, so you might wanna look into those, too.

As for the playing part you just have to be dedicated. You can't start slacking or you'll start sucking. Although it doesn't work like that for everybody.

Hope I helped (kinda).

All basses bow down to the Rickenbacker 4001, with the ugly pickup cover removed of course. That's a stereo pickup under there, and the bass has two output jacks to run to left and right channels for that fat Ricky sound.

Oh god yes. I'd honestly consider buying a Rickenbacker just for how gorgeous they are; mount it up on a wall somewhere, and I don't even play the bass. Gotta be the Jetglo colour for me though.

Interesting (in a good way) about the two output jacks. I haven't heard of that before.

2009rb9.jpg

I play the ESP LTD B-50 bass and I have been for about a year

its $200, pretty decent, holds up, good sounds low and high

I play through a cheap $60 Crate bass amp (Im poor) its pretty good for the brand and price

sry if that doesnt help but.....

ur welcome if it does

yogosun.png

*Plays Uber-Guitar Solo while you stand in awe*

yogosun.png

What is your price range?

I'm an avid guitar player, I've played in a band for several years now, but I know a bit about basses.

If you have a fairly large budget, go with a Schecter Stilleto Bass. Killer looks, sounds good, the works. It costs around seven hundred dollars, good quality for the price. It's what our bassist plays.

Amps I can't help you with; but if you have a low budget, go with an Ibanez bass. Ibanez is reliable, I love the brand.

Use the forums on this site, it'll help a lot. The community is usually helpful(just avoid the Pit if you're looking for help). I'm a member of this forum, they've managed to teach me a lot about guitar :D

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

EDIT: Please don't get a Squire :( They're cheap and difficult to play, and they can be incredibly annoying for a begginer at anything. They're worth a lot less than they are priced at, at least in my experience. This is my personal opinion, I hate Squires with a dying passion.

goldphishies.jpeg

[>>Thanks to Yaff2 for Reaper,Trooper,and DOOM sigs, Navyplaya for nature sigs, Hardwick246 for gold sig, ThruItAll for Darkwatch and guitar sigs, and Aijiru for avvy!<<]

[>>Refresh for new Siggie!<<]

Thank you for the info. However, My parents now decided that I'll have to focus more on my drums now so I'll probably have to put off the bass until next year :S. However, I now at least know what brands to look for and stuff.

Don't lock this, other people might find this useful still if they want to start.