Forum Spammers

The Observer

Has your clan forums been brought down to the mercy of a forum spammer? If so, share your stories here.

Last night (and lasting throughout the early morning), a forum spammer decided to spam the *-P.K.Masters-* forums. The staff were quick on the call banning every account and removing every image and thread. I'd like to say good job.

forumattacker.png

j0xPu5R.png

The best thing you can do are add ip blocks and bad word filters, that can keep some spammers from registering and will block pictures that have naughty words in their url. Wont stop all of it but can stop some. Try searching for spambot IP lists.

Have any of you gotten spammers advertising the sale of drugs/prescriptions? Those, and their naughty picture posting brethren did quite a number on our forums for quite some time... they seem to have stopped as of recent, thank goodness.

It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and the darkness, nothing more.

The true master of Death does not seek to run away from Death. He accepts that he must die,

and understands there are far, far worse things in the living world than dying.

To the well organized mind death is but the next great adventure.

And now, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Our board requires admin validation of every new account. Some might think this is too much of an inconvenience, but it really isn't. Average validation time is well under 24hours, and accounts awaiting validation can read most of our forums while they wait. With the right verification protocols including googleing names your unsure of, and being suspicious of obscure Emails, spammers are not really a problem.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

Ive found an easy and quick solution to this...

Normally these types of attacks are done by bots... I have prevented unregistered users from being able to spam my forums, and while some bots have an auto-register thing built in, even THOSE cant get past my security...

All they have to do is answer the question right of how many days there are in a leapyear (something very easily googled)...

But since bots have no code written into themselves to take these kinds of things into accoutns, they will leave the question blank...

Result: no account is created with which they can spam...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

We've got a couple of those spammers on our forums about 8 months ago, spamming with pictures and medicin adverts etc.. Just ip-ban them, it will stop.

Animum debes mutare, non caelum.

wallpaperageofwonderssh.jpg

i did that wit a few frends

Huh? What do you mean?

i think the meaning is clear enough. he was the one spamming the forums

on a side note i like storms idea

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Is hard to I.P ban somebody when they are using proxys, also the people who spammed our forum are real people instead of bots.

It also seem the person confessed.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

Unfortunately I think everyone's been spammed at least a few times, if only by bots. Those graphic pron ones were pretty prevalent on clan forums a few months back. :twisted:

My previous clan had IPB forums so my leaders were able to implement a script in the registration process, I believe, to stop most of those bots. As for human spammers, usually it's just a one-time event of idiocy propagated by a disgruntled ex-member, hater, or combination of those two. Even if it's still an isolated occurrence, though, it's unfortunate you have to lose a good half hour or so of your own time to clean up that garbage.

It's a person rather than a spambot as we have CAPTCHA for account registration. Plus it looks like they're using proxy servers.

Bots can both solve CAPTCHA's, do simple math like 1+2 and change their IP's. The only way to stop them would be:

All they have to do is answer the question right of how many days there are in a leapyear (something very easily googled)...

But since bots have no code written into themselves to take these kinds of things into accoutns, they will leave the question blank...