Guthixian Edicts

Howlin1

Runescape history is so overlooked outside the game :( , even on the offical RS site

If only tip it or another site had a nice section devoted to a solid timeline

This help?

Ye ive been on the RS wikia before and your right the vast majority of RS history is there but its in a pretty jumbled up form imo, would be nice if we had a concise RS history somewhere

Theres a fine line between not listening and not caring,

I like to think I walk this line every day.

Pinning blame on Jagex is like trying to put pants on an old man.

You both know he needs them, but he'll just keep dancing around, avoiding them at all costs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Runescape history.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Edicts_of_Guthix

The Edicts of Guthix state that, should ANY god attempt to disrupt the balance of power, Guthixian worshipers will awake Guthix who will then destroy Gielinor and then recreate it. Think of it as a sort of "surge protector" for the game. It's actually a lot like WWI in some ways. If two gods opposed each other they might call in help, which would lead to a large war that would devastate the world, much like what happened in the Third Age, most notably in the desert).

The Edicts of Guthix aren't an item, they aren't a law, it's simply a threat that if anything gets out of balance, Guthix will come and hit the proverbial reset button. Basically we just need to stay calm and prevent any god from getting too strong, even if we support that god.

And no, it isn't forbidden for a god to come back, but that god is not allowed to have any influence on the world itself, only through, as Hippo said, his/her followers, which might mean that it is permitted by the Guthixian Edicts for a god to give powers to a follower that then uses that power to influence the world, but then that would also conflict with another rule of the Edicts: balance cannot be changed one way or another. The Edicts, while ancient and simple, are actually very strong in that there are no real loopholes, which I find interesting.

It was indeed Guthix who created this world, but not the dimension. He found the dimension abandoned (potentially because of something like the Edicts of Guthix, but the Elder Gods didn't want to restore the world?) and created the land, the seas, and the life. Supposedly the TzHaar were also there in the beginning, but it's unclear exactly. That small portal we saw in Meeting History was actually the "World Gate" that was later sealed by Guthix due to the threat of out-side forces invading Gielinor. It is sealed to this day, but it is thought that one of the seals on the World Gate has been broken recently, which would cause a great problem for all of us, as there are many evil creatures beyond that gate.

Eh? The portal in Meeting History is the World Gate? I'm not sure... The humans came through that portal, which means it leads to the original human dimension. The fact that the ancient elves didn't know about humans before the 'Meeting History' discovery, means that they originate from different planes. So the Elves coulnd't have come from that portal too, except if the portal could switch to what dimension it leads. Furthermore, I think the Elven world gate stood somewhere in Tirannwn, because the Elves never travelled over the Arandar Mountains before building their capital.

So I think it's like this: Humans from human dimension through Meeting History portal in Asgarnia or Misthalin, Elves from Elven dimension through World Gate in Tirannwn.

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

nice RS history skills!!! I love RS history myself btw...

And could anyoen refresh my memory, Saradomin had a Good light god before him, didn't he? he was destroyed by zaros if i recall well.

And stone of Jas as pect worries me, because it looks like it's the eye of saradomin (source of all magics according to Lunar isle people, and a source of runes powers according to I'm pretty sure that when guthix ended the godwars he wanted to take away the cause of the wars, so he took the stone and while travelling the wilderness, he smashed it with his fist thus creating the fist of guthix he left a guardian to guard it, because part of the stones and guthixe's power was left behind.....

Probably there were many tries to destroy the stone, but at last he settled to place where lumbridge now is, and cried in a cave beacuse he failed to remove the stone, and because the world was harmed of the war...

As I suspect eh left the Stone of Jas behind in teh cave and summoned Juna the giant snake to guard it. (course he didnt tell her what she was actually guarding). Thats why in Dorgeshkaan theres lucien minions seeking the stone. They are very near it. (course Juna will hopefully kill them both if they try to force their way in) .

Who was Jas? Guthixes brother? can be...One of elders? can be...All we know that almighty Guthix can destroy (rewrite) Gielinor, but can't harm the stone....

The clock is ticking, and your time is running out, mortals.

I love Runescape history.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Edicts_of_Guthix

The Edicts of Guthix state that, should ANY god attempt to disrupt the balance of power, Guthixian worshipers will awake Guthix who will then destroy Gielinor and then recreate it. Think of it as a sort of "surge protector" for the game. It's actually a lot like WWI in some ways. If two gods opposed each other they might call in help, which would lead to a large war that would devastate the world, much like what happened in the Third Age, most notably in the desert).

The Edicts of Guthix aren't an item, they aren't a law, it's simply a threat that if anything gets out of balance, Guthix will come and hit the proverbial reset button. Basically we just need to stay calm and prevent any god from getting too strong, even if we support that god.

And no, it isn't forbidden for a god to come back, but that god is not allowed to have any influence on the world itself, only through, as Hippo said, his/her followers, which might mean that it is permitted by the Guthixian Edicts for a god to give powers to a follower that then uses that power to influence the world, but then that would also conflict with another rule of the Edicts: balance cannot be changed one way or another. The Edicts, while ancient and simple, are actually very strong in that there are no real loopholes, which I find interesting.

It was indeed Guthix who created this world, but not the dimension. He found the dimension abandoned (potentially because of something like the Edicts of Guthix, but the Elder Gods didn't want to restore the world?) and created the land, the seas, and the life. Supposedly the TzHaar were also there in the beginning, but it's unclear exactly. That small portal we saw in Meeting History was actually the "World Gate" that was later sealed by Guthix due to the threat of out-side forces invading Gielinor. It is sealed to this day, but it is thought that one of the seals on the World Gate has been broken recently, which would cause a great problem for all of us, as there are many evil creatures beyond that gate.

Eh? The portal in Meeting History is the World Gate? I'm not sure... The humans came through that portal, which means it leads to the original human dimension. The fact that the ancient elves didn't know about humans before the 'Meeting History' discovery, means that they originate from different planes. So the Elves coulnd't have come from that portal too, except if the portal could switch to what dimension it leads. Furthermore, I think the Elven world gate stood somewhere in Tirannwn, because the Elves never travelled over the Arandar Mountains before building their capital.

So I think it's like this: Humans from human dimension through Meeting History portal in Asgarnia or Misthalin, Elves from Elven dimension through World Gate in Tirannwn.

Interesting theory. So this is sort of like a repeating Universe, which is destroyed and rebuilt every time it loses balance of power? It sounds to me like a powerful god/s, be it Guthix, another god, a group of gods, or even all gods, intent on discovering the laws which define a truly balanced world: Sort of like a Utopia of balance.

Who was Jas? Guthixes brother? can be...One of elders? can be...All we know that almighty Guthix can destroy (rewrite) Gielinor, but can't harm the stone....

That sounds like the question "Can an omnipotent god create a stone it cannot move?" Is the Stone of Jas some kind of paradoxical object?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I just had an crazy idea:

Didn't "meeting history" said that Guthix created runes?

If i remember well it did so, that means that the stone of Jas is also created by Guthix, because the stone is the source of all runes and magic. Makes sense? no, i think, unless the people in meeting history all lied, and we dont have real evidence that we were at the past didn't we? Maybe when we rub the key we get teleported into parralel illusion or something....Altho thinking that quests could lie makes quest doing paranoid..... :ohnoes:

EDIT: OMG just had another idea:

what if Guthix found the stone as raw power source and made it to be a source of runes and magic. So he did create the runes and the magic, but from teh power of the stone. interesting...research needs to be done

*runs off to a library* :geek:

What if Guthix found the stone as raw power source and made it to be a source of runes and magic. So he did create the runes and the magic, but from teh power of the stone. interesting...research needs to be done

*runs off to a library* :geek:

That seems likely, like the first person to make fire didn't actually create it they just refined it for there use.

Jesus Christ, can't you just admit that you're wrong? :rolleyes:

Cause I'm not wrong.

Also

That small portal we saw in Meeting History was actually the "World Gate" that was later sealed by Guthix due to the threat of out-side forces invading Gielinor. It is sealed to this day, but it is thought that one of the seals on the World Gate has been broken recently, which would cause a great problem for all of us, as there are many evil creatures beyond that gate.

Did we see in the Merlin's crystal quest about something like Arthur coming from another place, maybe he broke the seal :shock:

Cause I'm not wrong.

I remember seeing a picture on tif, someone saying under it: "the staff of Armadyll in the hands of Lucien?!" or something like that (you get my drift). (takes a sudden turn for a second) We all know you can put on the tops of battlestaves and what not, which should mean we can take it off. right?

(returns to the present situation)

Well, thinking of the picture, We know that lucien wanted the staff of armadyll, and that he sent the guys to look for the stone of Jas, so wouldn't that mean he wants to put the Stone on the Staff!?!? :ohnoes: Think about it... super staff + super stone = bad things in the wrong hands... :ohnoes:

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Also

That small portal we saw in Meeting History was actually the "World Gate" that was later sealed by Guthix due to the threat of out-side forces invading Gielinor. It is sealed to this day, but it is thought that one of the seals on the World Gate has been broken recently, which would cause a great problem for all of us, as there are many evil creatures beyond that gate.

Did we see in the Merlin's crystal quest about something like Arthur coming from another place, maybe he broke the seal :shock:

King Arthur and the rest of the knights of Camelot and Merlin are the only characters believed to have come from the "real world" (IE: The alternate reality that the players live in) after retiring from ruling his kingdom (of England) and settling down in runescape.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I agree with you that the Gate may have been in/near the Elvan homelands, as it is mentioned in the book "Prifddinas' History" which means that they saw it at some point. However, I believe that the gate is underground in the same caverns as the quest Underground Pass as the Zamorakian forces are looking for something down there with a definite purpose. The World Gate is said to have transported BOTH Humans and Elves, which would beg the question: can it be a sort of hub of activity? History tells us that Guthix sealed this gate because He was worried about evil creatures from other realms; this could be taken to mean that while the Gate may not necessarily be a two-way portal, it could act as the destination point for many other portals. Remember the key difference between Humans and Elves: Humans moved East, Elves moved West. There is nothing to say that they didn't both come from this portal, it's just that they may have come from this one and a different one that was seen in the quest Meeting History. If there were, in fact, multiple portals from which Humans arrived, this could mean that the two dimensions were extremely close to one another in the beginning of the First Age, nearly 10,000 years ago. This is where history gets to be a lot of fun: will this event ever occur again?? If the World Gate was the destination point of multiple portals, then we could be in a world of trouble when the distance between our dimension and theirs becomes much closer.

On another note about the Stone of Jas: its other name is the "Eye of Saradomin", also known as the object that the wizard in the Runecrafting Guild is looking for. It was not created by Guthix, nor was it distorted by Guthix, it was simply utilized by him. As we saw in the quest Meeting History, Guthix used the stone to create these objects for Humans to use magic. The list of spells available was small, and there was no "spell book" at first. Only after much research were more spells found, and spell books created. That is interesting to me, however, that if Guthix created these stones for us, that He did not tell us how to use them. This is why I believe that, though Guthix did create Runes, he did not create them with the intent we so quickly sought. We know that Guthix did not need these stones, as He was more powerful than these Runes could ever make him. So why did he create them? My guess is that he made them unwittingly. This was a strange device that was left over by the Elder Gods before him. Think about it this way: you find a device from the ancient Greeks, would you know what it did? I think that Guthix somehow activated this device, and it instantly created Runes, sort of automatically. Now, whether or not this is the Stone's only ability I do not know, and cannot begin to fathom, but I do know one thing: Guthix was just as perplexed about them as we were, the only difference being that we had the time and the manpower to figure them out, to devastating affects.

Also

King Arthur and the rest of the knights of Camelot and Merlin are the only characters believed to have come from the "real world" (IE: The alternate reality that the players live in) after retiring from ruling his kingdom (of England) and settling down in runescape.

Maybe that's where the first humans on runescape came from as well?

(For some reason I'm thinking of Stonehenge is the teleport place from the real world :-k )

Cause I'm not wrong.

Wait, the Eye of Saradomin is the Stone of Jas?

Uhm...can anyone remember what that artifact that was stolen from Entrana during Devious Minds was called? I think that had something to do with Saradomin.

Owner of Quest Cape since 11/9/2007 23:30! Working my butt off to get it back.

lemurian04.png

I don't believe it actually had a name, it was just called artifact. The examine also claimed that pieces were missing in it. And, yes it does sound like Guthix didn't try to make the runestones, but did so accidentally. IN response though, the sheer power of the other races made what we could do alone with the runestones look small. Of course, then factor in numbers and you have a Large War, possibly with alot of collateral damage.

ny_lucario.png

I was doing the Legacy of Seergaze quest and at the start when you go check on those strangers at the Paterdomus they say something like "And soon the Guthixian Edicts will be gone!". Interesting... How exactly are they gonna do that?

art_crazy.png

I was doing the Legacy of Seergaze quest and at the start when you go check on those strangers at the Paterdomus they say something like "And soon the Guthixian Edicts will be gone!". Interesting... How exactly are they gonna do that?

Well here's the strange part: the Edicts state that a "select group of Guthixians" would awake Guthix, which means that the Edicts would have to be activated by this council, not by Guthix Himself.

If the Vyrewatch (along with other Zamorakian and Zarosian forces) are trying to "get rid" of these Edicts, the best way to do that would be to eliminate this council that is to awaken Guthix. No document or person ever speaks of who this council might be, or where they are, we only know that there is a group of them. If the Vyrewatch has found out who this group is, then our world is in peril because then once they are eliminated nothing would save us from all-out-war besides Saradomin, but He isn't even in our dimension.

An interesting topic to be sure;

If the Vyrewatch has discovered one, or all of the group of edicts, it may tie into the new super quest coming 'soon'.

And if they succeed in destroying the edicts, dont think that Saradomin will help anyone, He's a god strikingly similar to Zamorak, he'd take as much advantage of such an opening for claiming land/power as Zamorak or any other of the lesser gods. Or whatever godlike beings that are below Guthix that exist.

God hierarchy is a difficult subject, the best I can figure is ?????- Elder Gods- Guthix/Zaros?- Bandos Saradomin Zamorak Armadyl whateverelsethereis

Thats the best I can figure it, I always assume Zaros is more powerful than Zamorak/Saradomin tier gods, because even though Zamorak 'stole' his power, Zaros wasnt actually destroyed. But thats just because I like Zaros better than Zamorak/lower tier gods, they all seem rather trivial to me. Zamorak is Bad, but Zaros is Evil.

While we don't tend to care about rules (except the plot ones, like always reveal your plans to an imprisoned hero, or always leave a weak spot in your invincible army/plan/machine/unholy demonic legion of infinite strength)

Bad guy tactics, Evil doesnt take time to make small talk and gloat, they just chuckle over the corpses of their enemies.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

Brando, I personally believe that you are wrong. In the early Fourth Age, Saradominist monks put a spell on the River Salve to prevent the evils of Morytania from spreading to the West. This has allowed cities like Varrock, Al Kharid, and Lumbridge the opportunity to prosper as opposed to towns like Port Phasmatys and Canifis that have failed miserably. Saradomin openly preaches peace and harmony, whereas Zamorak and Zaros admittedly preach death, destruction, and chaos. In the Third Age Zarmorak invaded the desert, destroying Uzer and other major cities, forcing everybody to flee south to Sophanem. This was not Saradomin, this was Zamorak. While Zamorak was invading the desert, Saradomin was promoting peace.

And one last thing: the Edicts of Guthix cannot be destroyed. The Edicts are like the "10 Commandments", they are rules to live by, not an actual thing. The council that is charged with the task of awaking Guthix can be destroyed, but the Edicts cannot.

And one last thing: the Edicts of Guthix cannot be destroyed. The Edicts are like the "10 Commandments", they are rules to live by, not an actual thing. The council that is charged with the task of awaking Guthix can be destroyed, but the Edicts cannot.

Yea but if you kill the council there is no one to wake guthix to enforce the Edicts so they might as well not be there (that is until Guthix wakes up itself, maybe it has a kind of alarm to wake up every so often to check on things just in case if the council is killed).

Meh who knows

Cause I'm not wrong.

Brando, I personally believe that you are wrong. In the early Fourth Age, Saradominist monks put a spell on the River Salve to prevent the evils of Morytania from spreading to the West. This has allowed cities like Varrock, Al Kharid, and Lumbridge the opportunity to prosper as opposed to towns like Port Phasmatys and Canifis that have failed miserably. Saradomin openly preaches peace and harmony, whereas Zamorak and Zaros admittedly preach death, destruction, and chaos. In the Third Age Zarmorak invaded the desert, destroying Uzer and other major cities, forcing everybody to flee south to Sophanem. This was not Saradomin, this was Zamorak. While Zamorak was invading the desert, Saradomin was promoting peace.

Saradomin is not as peaceful as you think he is... he has ordered his followers to destroy Cities and Civilisations in order to extend his own power through Gielinor, the Dig Site is one example, as is the wilderness, he used force to try and gain new land and followers.

Although Zaros ruled over a large majority of Gielinor, and had the Mahjarrat as followers we cannot say for sure he was an evil God, there just isn't enough information to say that yet, for all we know, he may of brought peace between many tribes, united kingdoms and what not. All we know is that the other gods are terrified of him and wanted to take control of his lands, it could of simply been that they were jealous of how much control he had. We haven't heard of how he came to power, how he ruled or anything, all we know is that when he vanished, the other Gods tried to take control of what he had.

Dark_Jab.png

As in the real world, history is written by the winning side. Go through history, and as far back as you go, every war fought is against an evil, or bad or unwanted race/civilization/ruler. Not to bring controversy, but to make a point, Hitler's armies were 'the good guys' according to themselves, and the rest of the world was evil- to them- just because Zamorak promotes war and chaos doesnt mean his followers see that as evil deeds for the sake of being evil, thats how they live, and breath and what they know.

Good and Evil are just a matter of perspective, an unbiased opinion says that Zamorak and Saradomin are both the same, with the same wants, but merely different views on how to get their specific wants.

As for Zaros, all we know is that he was powerful, and was appearantly doing something many other gods weren't exactly cheery about- but we dont even know that for sure, because you cant trust history books written by anyone but zaros or his followers for accurate information of who he was and what he did.

basically, in the end, the only thing we know is that Guthix is the only one who's 'good' in that he's taken precautions to prevent the world destroying itself, by making the threat of destroying the world if they mess things up.

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

As in the real world, history is written by the winning side. Go through history, and as far back as you go, every war fought is against an evil, or bad or unwanted race/civilization/ruler. Not to bring controversy, but to make a point, Hitler's armies were 'the good guys' according to themselves, and the rest of the world was evil- to them- just because Zamorak promotes war and chaos doesnt mean his followers see that as evil deeds for the sake of being evil, thats how they live, and breath and what they know.

Good and Evil are just a matter of perspective, an unbiased opinion says that Zamorak and Saradomin are both the same, with the same wants, but merely different views on how to get their specific wants.

As for Zaros, all we know is that he was powerful, and was appearantly doing something many other gods weren't exactly cheery about- but we dont even know that for sure, because you cant trust history books written by anyone but zaros or his followers for accurate information of who he was and what he did.

basically, in the end, the only thing we know is that Guthix is the only one who's 'good' in that he's taken precautions to prevent the world destroying itself, by making the threat of destroying the world if they mess things up.

bravo, you stated everything correctly. =D>

Actualluy Zaros wasn't evil, or bad, he and his followers had a potentially fearsome ability to use magic without runes, but that didn't make them evil. He did rule over many areas and places and things. And of course many gods regarded that as "evil" in their opinion. Zaros was a god of ultimate power in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Well what confuses me is when drakan and his vampyres invaded mortyania misthalin could have nipped it in the bud by destroying drakan by sending the priestly warriors in earlier. But why didnt drakan summon minions of zamarok as soon as the priestly warriors arrived. Therfore meaning that lord drakan knows of the edicts too. And the humans kingdems (sorry about spelling) attacking mortyania WOULDNT spark off the god war because drakan wouldnt want to destroy himself. If you think about it the fist of guthix is a very powerfull power source guarded by a guardian of guthix (giant earwig) so if this "fist" was fully activated by guthix (presuming that the fist isnt fully on (if it was getting charges would be easier and the range would be larger)) could create enough power to destroy gelinor.

My username is jamesrules90 NOT jimmyjames227.

897093.gif

Click here to feed me!

A nice undieable one!!!

You're thinking too much. Go eat some cake and do something else.