Make Poverty History

Mercifull

header.gif

Ok so you tried a million times but still didn't get Live8 tickets, but all is not lost. You can still make your mark as part of history by joining us for the G8 protest in Edinburgh on the 2nd July.

As the leaders of the world's richest countries gather in Scotland for the G8 Summit, join tens of thousands of others in Edinburgh on 2nd July demanding trade justice, debt cancellation, and more and better aid for the world's poorest countries.

You can view the plan of the day by downloading this pdf.

Its estimated to start at about 11am in The Meadows where people will all be able to meet up and stuff. Theres going to be quite a few speaches there and most likely a few celbs will be there so you'll probs wanna arrive a bit earlier to get a good place to see.

We are then going to start going in a circular route around the city so that hopefully by mid afternoon we will have formed a giant white band around Edinburgh.

edinburghwhitebandprotest2zw.jpg

Click to enlarge

You can find transport here and see if there are already cars and busses going in your local area or you can register your own transport so you can help take others.

So wear white and get your butts up to Edinburgh for this event to really show the leaders of the G8 we mean business, register that you are going and together we can all MakePovertyHistory

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Ugh, I hope the traffic avoids Livingston.

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

It would be wise for traffic to avoid pretty much all of Edinburgh that day lol.

I suppose i should also mention is National White Band day on the 1st to get wering those White Gel or Fabric bands for the MPH campaign and show your support. Get both kinds from the Oxfam online store

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

is this by the make trade fair people? sounds like it is

Yes it is. And it has the full backing of Sir Bob Geldof

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

No i didnt :roll:

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

...Show you mean business about what?

To be honest, I think that all people will show by turning up is that they don't know very much. Poverty is necessary in society - unless you're going to be communist, which I won't even go into.

If it's about third world debt, then ignore what I said.

It is about Africa's debt Herr. I see why though that can be confusing. Catchier name though than make3rdworlddebthistory I reckon.

Remember to buy your navy blue make poverty shirts too! From the Oxfam shop for ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã15. It's great! Mine's tight and makes me look all buff :D

To be honest, I think that all people will show by turning up is that they don't know very much. Poverty is necessary in society - unless you're going to be communist, which I won't even go into.

I don't think you have to go the entire way to communism. Actually I think that a planned economy can provide more then communism without the inherent corruption and waste that communism brings.

The longer we live in a free market the worse off people will get. It is not the companies/government that is flawed but the system they are allowed to trade under. If you promote a widening profit line then you are always going to have a loser as the people with the power will always get their way (i.e. more profit).

Well it is about third world debt but how is poverty actually neccessary?

Perhaps inequality is inevitable but surely not poverty?

I doubt the G8 leaders will take much notice. They have their own agenda their not gunna listen to a load of people wearing white. I mean, lets hope they do but I doubt they will. Goodluck with it :wink:

And no lol why do you always want to get stuff from John Lewis. Its over ̣̉300 more then than what i paid.

John Lewis is a great, great shop.

How do you know that Oxfam isn't profiting from all the bleeding hearts they sell shirts/whatevers to?

Well I prefer to be an optimist. I'm not into conspiring against titled "non-profit organisations", I leave that stuff to the Michael Moore's of this world.

I have this thing called trust.

How do you know that Oxfam isn't profiting from all the bleeding hearts they sell shirts/whatevers to?

Quite simple actually. See, Oxfam is a charity. Every year when it comes time to fill out the tax forms, they have to prove that they've 'wasted' the smallest amount of money they can (ie, they only employed people that were necessary, and used the money they got for the most impact). If they are shown not to have been a good charity, and instead used it for profit, then they lose their charity status. Not only does that mean they pay an awful lot of tax and fines, but they can be done for fraud and go to prision. So they really are a charity.

As to going to Edinborough, I was going, booked my place and everything. Then I found out that a camp I'm being a leader on has it's training day on that day, so I have to go to that instead. Especially as I'm running one of the departments. So Ii'm sending 6 of my friends in my place ;)

Maybe a small amount of rich/poor divide is necessary in a capitalist society, but a world where a parking meter earns more per day than 70% of the people on this earth? That's just a little bit unfair. How would you like it if you were part of that 70%? Would you appreciate being told "Sorry about forcing you to live in squalor and earn absolutely nothing for backbreaking labour, but your poverty is necessary so that I can live a good, long, happy life and feel better about myself because I earn more in a day than you will earn in a lifetime."

Something tells me that's just not gonna cut it.

I doubt the G8 leaders will take much notice. They have their own agenda their not gunna listen to a load of people wearing white. I mean, lets hope they do but I doubt they will. Goodluck with it :wink:

England happens to be head of the G8 this year, and Blair and Brown already promised that Africa, AIDs and Climate Change would be the three topics under discussion. I was there when he made the announcement. Most of the European leaders have agreed. The trick will be persuading the USA and China to agree as well.

But something tells me that if China refuses (which I think they might), then Bush will agree with Blair simply because 'He can't agree with those damn communists!'

And Merc, I'm guessing this is because you didn't get Live 8 tickets? How many times did you send off? One of my friends got a pair after only sending off once. Unfortunately he's decided to take his girlfriend. So me and my friend are gonna kill them both and take their tickets ;)

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Last edited by Mercifull on Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:26 pm Post subject:

No i didnt :roll:

Oh.

What were you doing art 4:00pm on Saturday last weekend?

were you one of the 150,000 people at Glastonbury Festival who linked hands to shout out to the G8 to MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY?

holdhands_250605_M.jpg

Also you need to remember that on Friday 1st July its White Band Day.

Its all about raising awareness and showing your support. If everyone wears a band then it shows to the leaders of G8 that we want to make a stand.

You can get a white band from your local Oxfam show for only ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã1 but consider donating something a little better like ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5 or whatever you can afford. Remember that 1bn people in the world live on less than 60p a day and over 30,000 children die every day from poverty.

Imagine a 9/11 disaster 10 times a day, every day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Would that goverment stand for that? NO! But because its in another country noone seems to care. We should care and we want the G8 to end this. And they can do it in 10 seconds at the summit.

"Sometimes it calls apon a generation to be great. You can be that generation" Nelson Mandela

If you still want to come to Edinburgh on the 2nd July then you can find travel in your area from the MPH Travel Page

www.MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY.org

mpharmband1yv.jpg

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

picture592jt.jpg

Be cool like me and link your two bands together :D My 6th form's given me special permission to wear my navy blue MPH T-shirt tomorrow too. :P

I sold my Glasto tickets though >.< To be honest, Geldof is getting right up my nose. I know he's doing it for awareness and not himself but he's just everywhere now. Let the cause do the talking.

picture592jt.jpg

Be cool like me and link your two bands together :D My 6th form's given me special permission to wear my navy blue MPH T-shirt tomorrow too. :P

I sold my Glasto tickets though >.< To be honest, Geldof is getting right up my nose. I know he's doing it for awareness and not himself but he's just everywhere now. Let the cause do the talking.

I have 4 white bands lol. I only normally wear one at a time tho

whitebands3vd.jpg

Left to Right

Fabric "MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY" band, Gel MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY 2005, Gel "Glastonbury 2005 helping 'MakePovertyHistory'." and a final special one with the Oxfam logo on it that I got sent for free because I regularly donate.

I am a bit dissapointed in you selling your Glasto ticket tho. I hope that you gave any profit you made to charity.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

If by charity you mean a Toyota Aigo...yes! Yes I did! :D

Hehe.

hmmm, might have to pick myself up a couple of them fancy bands tomorrow. Thank God I've finished my exams.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

HEY, DON'T LEAVE US AMERICANS OUT!

^^Here's the American version of what Merc is talkin about.

Remember, just because we have a self-styled messiah in office and are in the early stages of becoming an imperialist theocracy doesn't mean we can't give money to the same people we wage war on!

[/bitterness]

finalsig9wq.gif