The Official 2008 HSC Topic

Intriguing

My apologies if a thread has already been made about this.

This thread is for any of the Australians among us that are completing their High School Certificate this year.

Well, the NSW exams start in just a bit over two weeks, though some of us have already completed the practical aspects of some of our subjects. What subjects do you do? How did your graduation/muck-up go? How much study have you been getting in/are you going to get in? What UAI are you going for, and what will you be doing next year? And most importantly, what are you planning for Schoolies?

Also feel free to post in here if you're in year 10 or 11 and just thinking really far ahead.

Cool.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for me, I'm doing Standard English, General Maths, Music 1, Physics, Chemistry, and Ancient History. Based on my marks (75-80s in English and 95 in Maths) I really should be doing Advanced in both of those, but it's a bit late now. I'd also be doing 3-unit Music, but my school didn't have a teacher that could teach it when I was in year 11.

I started really getting into the study last Monday. To be honest, with most of the subjects, I already know most of what I need to know, with the exception of Ancient History, which I have been working really hard on in the past week.

I'm hoping to get a UAI of 80-85, but I will most likely get 75-80. It doesn't matter too much though, because I'll be doing music at university, and you don't need a UAI to get in, just an audition.

Cool.

I remember those days. My tests went fairly well, such that I got an OP (overall position) of 8. In Queensland, an OP 1 is the best and an OP 25 the worst, so I was pretty happy with my score.

How does the UAI system work in NSW?

Best of luck to anyone doing their tests, by the way.

I do Advanced English, General Maths, Biology, Economics and Legal Studies. I've been getting low 80's to high 90's, but I haven't started any serious study yet for the exams. I tried today and gave up :wall:

I'm hoping to do a combined IT/Law degree at Macquarie. Failing that I'll probably do a Psychology or Nanotechnology degree, so I'm hoping for a UAI of 95+.

When do you do your audition and at which Uni/s?

UAI is the University Admissions Index. It's basically just how well you did in your subjects (throughout the year and in the final exams) in relation to other students doing the same subjects. UAIs go from 1 to 100, but I think if you get 35 or under, you don't actually get one. Just think of it like a percentage.

Wow, good luck with that man. So, if you don't get a high enough UAI for the IT/Law, you're not gonna do Arts for a year then try and get in based off that?

As for my audition, I'll be doing them next year. I'm taking a gap year, so I just have to apply online this year, but I'm allowed to audition next year, which is good. I'm going to try ANU (Canberra) and the Conservatorium (Sydney). The Conservatorium is probably a better uni, but I'd rather get into ANU just because I have family there, and I don't hate the city, but we'll see.

Where is Macquarie at, may I ask?

Cool.

Hadn't though about doing the Arts course. I'll look into that now.

Macquarie has several campuses I think, but the one I'm hoping to go to is in Ryde. Good luck with your audition. What instrument do you play?

I remember our careers advisor gave us a lecture on gap years :lol: She tried scaring everybody off of doing one. So where were you thinking of going for your gap year?

WOOH HSC!

Standard English

General Maths

Biology

Music 1

PD/H/PE

I started studying yesterday, and I'm hoping to achieve a nice 4 hours each day until exams.

I have around a 75% average for all my subjects, so not excellent, but not terrible. I'm hoping to achieve a UAI of 80, although 75 would do.

Intruiging, are you a performance major? How did yours go?

untitled-1.png

If you think you'll end up in a science degree program or anything that involves stats, general maths isn't going to help you. At all.

General maths is essentially the same as the year 9/10 maths courses. If you mean to do university level mathematics (which you will for most degrees in the sciences), you most probably will have to do remedial maths courses.

Actually I was a little confused about that. In the UAC books usually the course says "any two units of mathematics".

At first I thought that meant any type of maths. But then I realized the 2 unit course is called mathematics.

But doesn't matter, I'm not looking to study anything that needs it.

untitled-1.png

Yeah, I'm a performance major. It went really well actually. I got 93% for the performance in my trials, and I played better for the actual HSC, so I'm hoping I go well. I only expect to get around 75% for the written part of the music exam though.

How'd yours go?

Cool.

I'll be doing it next year :), wait: :o

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Up here we have qce - Queensland certificate of education.

I did average in English, technology studies (an OP manual arts subject with focus on design, ergonomics etc) maths b, did well in athletics extension and physical ed, and just failed physics.

Marks aren't important unless you want to go to uni, which I don't. I still learned a hell of a lot in the last few years though. After I come back from the states at the end of January (can't wait to get back on the slopes) I'm doing an electrical apprenticeship in the army to fall back on, and then going to flying school while doing a physics course at tafe. That way I will be guaranteed at least 50k a year as an electrician, (more likely 70k+) and then up to 300k a year as a pilot. (After I've been with the same airline for a long time.)

i've only got General English and General maths. getting into uni' got screwed over with the board of study's requirements so i went for a Cert 2 in IT, Cert 2 in Photography and going for Cert 3 in IT next year at TAFE no thinks to those bumbling idiots. -.-

as for maths, its def' not the same as year 10. year 10 i blitzed it with ease, this year im at the lowest. weather its al the stress from the past 2 years affecting me i dunno but hopefully all goes well on the 23rd. (which sucks as my 18th is on that too >.< )

Popoto.~<3

Sorry. I know they have different names for it in different states, but I wasn't sure what they were.

Aura, so you'll be doing work in IT after TAFE next year?

And it's not so much that General Maths is the same difficulty level as Maths in year 10, it's just that it's the same general content.

Cool.

How many hours/day have you guys been studying? I can only manage about 4 hours a day, whereas some of my mates have been doing up to 10. I feel as though I'm not doing enough haha

I get B's and I study maybe 4 hours total before each exam for math b. (hardest math in qld high school) I don't study for the other subjects - not keen on uni so I'm not too worried about my marks.

How many hours/day have you guys been studying? I can only manage about 4 hours a day, whereas some of my mates have been doing up to 10. I feel as though I'm not doing enough haha

I "Dont" study. besides revising what material to use for English i have never studied since its never worked for me once. in fact i did worse when i studied then go off my raw knowledge. then markers get all hissy because i create my own math formula's that work but not to their standards. (pfft, stingee) i just dont have that kind'a motivation to study and especially on my own which is hard since i actully have neither my own computer OR desk. -.-

Popoto.~<3

Not really. I'm going to be fine for everything except Chemistry, and I'm going to have to cram pretty hard for Ancient History. But honestly, I don't even care anymore. I don't need my UAI, so I've decided that I'm not going to actually look at my UAI when I get sent it.

Perhaps a bit of an immature way to go about it, but yeah.

You ready for it?

Cool.