comp for rs? prebuilt.

TheWilch

ok so ive been unable to play runescape for about 2 years now. im constantly disconected after only being online for about two minutes. ive tried all the free anti virus programs but none of them worked so today i went out and bought the McAfee virusScan plus 2009. when i pop the CD in and try to install the hardware i get this message that i do not have sufficent memory for this installation. how can i free up memory? ive never had a problem with having too much on my computer its basically just music i have windows XP but im not sure what kinda memory setup i have.

i think il just get a new pc.

i have a moniter, speakers, keyboard/mouse.

what would run RS at like its highest detail (ihaveroadrunner) with like windows media player running also? (stickie says be specific :thumbsup: )

somthing i could get support with like dell that ran on windows or somthing in that ballpark. but im not looking to splurge here $600max with room to move around if its worth the cost to keep upgrading. it would be mainly for playing runescape and some occasional surfing and mp3 playing.

suggestions? help? advice?

also ive givin up on my current pc.

I'm 99% sure you mean ram?

Download CPU-Z, run it and go to the SPD section and see what it says (please include type/size/speed). If you're unsure, post a screenshot. Also, klick on slot 1 and 2, to see if you have 1 or 2 sticks there (or if you have more slots) - and say what they add up to for size.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

^

In that case he needs to uninstall some programs and maybe move some music to another hd.

I think he means just hard drive space joe? Hard to tell.

it is hard to tell.

wilcher, just incase you dont know: there is a difference between ram (often called memory) and hard drive space. the ram (or memory) is where you computers stores information it needs right then. for example when you work out some math equation in your head, such as 5x10+6-1, you would first work out the 5x10 usually. you would then store the answer (50) in your head and work out the next bit, which is +6. you would then store the answer (56) in your head and work out the final piece, -1, giving you the final answer of 55.

that is exactly what the ram in your computer is for, except not for your brain but for your processor so it can store information while it computes other information.

your hard drive one the other hand stores data that is to be kept forever, or until you delete it, it gets deleted by something, or your hard drive dies. data on your hard drive also doesn't get lost when you turn your computer off.

the reason for ram is to be somewhere to store information short term that is quick to access. reading or writing to your hard disk takes alot longer than ram, and if you somehow didnt have ram but managed to replace it with space on your hard drive your computer would be extremely slow.

slot 1 on spd

128mb

pc2700 (166mhz)

slot 2 was empty.

so McAfee req's 150mb's of free space to install. how can i clean up 25mbs?

If this is from cpu-z, then there's no way you can get up to 150 MB, since 128 is the complete size of the ram. I'm surprised that Windows XP can still run on that, unless you didn't install any programs in the last years. Is it DDR or DDR2? Cause you might want to upgrade the ram, but it costs more for DDR than DDR2.

As for McAfee, return it, since it doesn't work, and then choose a good antivirus, not garbage like McAfee and Norton.

slot 1 on spd

128mb

pc2700 (166mhz)

slot 2 was empty.

so McAfee req's 150mb's of free space to install. how can i clean up 25mbs?

wilcher, RAM is not the same as 'Hard Disk free space' ... Therefore, the number in regard to how much PC2700 RAM that you have is basically useless, sad to say. :( ... Please go to your "My Computer" window, and retrieve the number under "Free Space" for your "C:" Hard Disk, so that we can understand your situation better? TBH, I find it extremely surprising that you are potentially out of space on your Hard Disk. :geek:

~D. V. "Confusing terminology stinks!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

ive installed atleast 5 programs in the last year and they have all worked fine. i went to my computer and selected the properties of drive C: local disk. it says ive got 24GB's of free space left.

drivecbd3.th.pngthpix.gif

do pics help?

Uh, then i don't know what it's doing.

"128 MB RAM

75 MB of available free drive space"

Is what's required for the program. And you meet both criterias. Altho your ram is a bit low.

My guess is that it wants more ram. You could call/mail their support and ask about it, since i've never used this program i don't know much about it.

"128 MB RAM

Is what's required for the program. And you meet both criterias. Altho your ram is a bit low.

My guess is that it wants more ram. You could call/mail their support and ask about it, since i've never used this program i don't know much about it.

Are you forgetting the RAM Windows needs to run?

"128 MB RAM

Yes.

I forgot about that lol.

And i don't know if he can return the product, since he has already used it and opened the package... But i don't remember what the laws say about that.

I guess it's the old DDR, which is more expensive than DDR2... But i would still recommend buying a 512mb stick... 1gb costs mucho. Wilcher, in cpu-z... Does it say DDR or DDR2?

"128 MB RAM

Yes.

I forgot about that lol.

And i don't know if he can return the product, since he has already used it and opened the package... But i don't remember what the laws say about that.

I guess it's the old DDR, which is more expensive than DDR2... But i would still recommend buying a 512mb stick... 1gb costs mucho. Wilcher, in cpu-z... Does it say DDR or DDR2?

PC2700 is DDR....yea its not that good....im surprised you could play rs, even for 2 minutes, run the OS and a browser at the same time :shock:

at least upgrade to 512mb..or if you wanna buy the gig..buy it

edit: due to the supply and demand...DDR is more expensive than DDR2..

tipitmainsigjpg.jpg

you like pudding....me too

[hide=More Friend Codes coming soon -.- (some are now included cmon pm me

my comp wasnt always like this, it used to play rs flawless. but the comp turned into a family pc instead of just my personal one. ok im pretty positive its got some bad virus's but aside from installing McAfee is there any way to run runescape? and what exactly can i buy/do either way. ive got ad-aware, used S&D, avg, and about anything else you can think of. id like to just comply whipe this computer but i dont think i have the proper hardware to get it all running again and the system restore point is like 6 months ago which the pc is still in this shape.

:wall:

call geek squad? ha.

also the McAfee box has a 30 day return policy (and i have the reciept) :D im glad to see the way you think joe

If you would have just reinstalled the OS this would have been over with.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but don't you have to buy a copy of the OS if the one you're using is the OEM copy? I thought you could only use that key once (which is when you first got the computer, so it's useless)? So maybe reinstalling isn't an option?

Unless there's a way to use this key more than once that I'm not aware of (I'd just as soon move to Linux than buy a Windows OS again, save the new one coming out).

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

If you would have just reinstalled the OS this would have been over with.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but don't you have to buy a copy of the OS if the one you're using is the OEM copy? I thought you could only use that key once (which is when you first got the computer, so it's useless)? So maybe reinstalling isn't an option?

Unless there's a way to use this key more than once that I'm not aware of (I'd just as soon move to Linux than buy a Windows OS again, save the new one coming out).

Can't you do a recovery like 5 times with an OEM version?

your problem is simple.

return that antivirus and download a free and better one

get some more ram asap! 128mb is terrible. my old pc that the family bought new in 1998 had 128mb, that was 10 years ago.

if you think you ahve viruses hurry up and get rid of them dont just say ill do it tommorow.

do all that and all your problems should be fixed.

how can i upgrade, installing the mb's to be exact.

TERMS OF AGREEMENT

I am not responsible for your parts being destroyed because you listened to me.

END

(on topic)

well first off.....get your items ready >_>

RAM chips (memory)

antistatic wristband (to protect ur pc)

.......screwdriver if you need help opening the case

compressed air cans (if youre going to do step 3.5)

(idk what else)

1) PUT ON THE ANTISTATIC WRISTBAND (or ground yourself nicely; or you probably can touch the side of your pc case if you have no more options...releases static from your body >_>)

2) unplug the pc from the outlet =P (give it a short while for the remaining electricity to dissipate)

3) open the case >_> (from the side mmk?)

3.5) if your case is dusty.. clean it with the compressed air cans -.-

4) look for the memory slots on your motherboard...these might be between the expansion slots (pci, agp, etc) and where the drives are at (hard drives, optical drives, etc)

or just look generally for them at the right side of the motherboard (looking at them with the expansion slots to the left)

5) pull back the pins that hold on to your memory...

6) take it out -.-

7) put on new memory in the same place

8) snap back the pins in place

9) close the case

10) there you go

ummm....idr if the bios screen comes up if the upgrade occurs so can anyone clear this up and also add some more info just incase i missed anything?

tipitmainsigjpg.jpg

you like pudding....me too

[hide=More Friend Codes coming soon -.- (some are now included cmon pm me

sounds like somthing i can mess up pretty easy
Honest answer? If you're not careful, then yes, you can possibly kill your PC... I recommend (only if you're too uneasy about handling it yourself) that you take the PC and RAM to a computer technician's shop, and they can probably have you all handled within about 15 minutes flat. That is, if they don't give you the runaround, which is why I'd get up some serious guts and stability of mind instead, if I were you... :|

~D. V. "Be careful, but don't get had..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

sounds like somthing i can mess up pretty easy
Honest answer? If you're not careful, then yes, you can possibly kill your PC... I recommend (only if you're too uneasy about handling it yourself) that you take the PC and RAM to a computer technician's shop, and they can probably have you all handled within about 15 minutes flat. That is, if they don't give you the runaround, which is why I'd get up some serious guts and stability of mind instead, if I were you... :|

~D. V. "Be careful, but don't get had..." Devnull

I'm going to agree here -- while installing RAM isn't so hard, it can mean the end of a machine if you do it incorrectly. Take it to a smaller computer store, where they're less likely to give you a higher charge on parts and handling.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.