The Little Things That Bug You

Dizzle229

95% of the male population of my school are drooling morons.

"Are" should be "is", my friend.

This is a huge contradiction, for two reasons.

Reason one: in your signature, you preach about how Tip.It forum should take a grammar lesson before joining, and yet you have a blatant grammar error here.

Reason two: your notion of "95% of the male population of my school are drooling morons" is a complete contradiction seeing you have an aforementioned grammar error in that sentence.

Since this somehow turned into grammar nazism, it should be pointed out "are" is also a linguistically acceptable use in the English language if the subject is a person or multiple persons. "Is" would be correct if the subject of the statement was a neutral object, such as "95% of the text in that book is rubbish"

As a real world example, "In Canada, 0.5% of the population is born with tourettes syndrome" would also be grammatically incorrect, just as "95% of the male population of my school is drooling morons".

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, what did saying that accomplish? It was already determined dizzle's sentence was incorrect; was this just to reinforce the fact?

And, I wasn't trying to be a grammatically-critical, just merely contributing to the thread using evidence to strengthen my point.

There shouldn't be a hyphen in between "grammatically" and "critical".

No, I'm basing my opinion more on an observation of the general population of this forum. A combination of general social inexperience as well as a sense of intellectual arrogance and arrogance of maturity (which, without social experience, is a complete paradox) leads me to believe that you think less of the people who say such things when such a belief is unjustified. Much like you they like attractive women, but unlike you they are more apt to verbally portray their opinions (extrovertedness). Not to say keeping such statements to yourself is wrong (in this case I'd say it's the opposite), but it's more of a case of an introvert not understanding an extrovert rather than a person truly knowing that someone is an [wagon].

Wait a second. Are you condoning perverted comments? The world wouldn't be a very pleasant place if everyone spoke their minds 100% of the time.

I'm merely saying that the fact that someone makes such a comment does not give you a right to think yourself above them merely because you decided to withhold such a comment. We're men, we like breasts, it's basic evolutionary biology. Although being rude to someone's face is not something I condone, someone making a comment such as that to a group of friends, even if it is perverted and immature, does not necessarily put that person at a lower level of maturity to you in the cases where such a thought is much like an elephant in the room.

I'm making this point not to condone being immature and perverted, but to bring light to my personal belief that statements of his like "95% of the people of in my class are drooling morons" are unjustified, and to be honest and to put it nicely, extremely snobbish. If you continually hold yourself as "above" the rest of your class, if you find them not worthy of you based on your own sense of how mature you are, you will never gain the social experience it requires for you to actually reach the level of maturity you think you are at.

I just don't want you to cling to that belief so much it ends up hurting you in the long run :| . Chill out, if you don't want to be rude you don't have to make or verbally agree with some comments, but don't make that detract from your social interaction. You're 13, you're young; enjoy it while you can :P .

[Note]

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Ok, what did saying that accomplish? It was already determined dizzle's sentence was incorrect; was this just to reinforce the fact?

And, I wasn't trying to be a grammatically-critical, just merely contributing to the thread using evidence to strengthen my point.

There shouldn't be a hyphen in between "grammatically" and "critical".

Oh, the ignorance.

It works either way, my man.

Well, maybe you're-right. ;)

Still no need to be a grammar nazi though. You're not perfect either. Keep posting and I guarantee you'll make mistakes too.

PS: I'd like to see you answer Pennywise's question.

PS2: Actually, there is a grammatical error in your post anyways.

No, I'm basing my opinion more on an observation of the general population of this forum. A combination of general social inexperience as well as a sense of intellectual arrogance and arrogance of maturity (which, without social experience, is a complete paradox) leads me to believe that you think less of the people who say such things when such a belief is unjustified. Much like you they like attractive women, but unlike you they are more apt to verbally portray their opinions (extrovertedness). Not to say keeping such statements to yourself is wrong (in this case I'd say it's the opposite), but it's more of a case of an introvert not understanding an extrovert rather than a person truly knowing that someone is an [wagon].

Wait a second. Are you condoning perverted comments? The world wouldn't be a very pleasant place if everyone spoke their minds 100% of the time.

I'm merely saying that the fact that someone makes such a comment does not give you a right to think yourself above them merely because you decided to withhold such a comment. We're men, we like breasts, it's basic evolutionary biology. Although being rude to someone's face is not something I condone, making a comment such as that to a group of friends, even if it is perverted and immature, does not necessarily put one at a lower level of maturity to you in the cases where such a thought is much like an elephant in the room.

I'm making this point not to condone being immature and perverted, but to bring light to my personal belief that statements of his like "95% of the people of in my class are drooling morons" are unjustified, and to be honest and to put it nicely, extremely snobbish. If you continually hold yourself as "above" the rest of your class, if you find them not worthy of you based on your own sense of how mature you are, you will never gain the social experience it requires for you to actually reach the level of maturity you think you are at.

I just don't want you to cling to that belief so much it ends up hurting you in the long run :| . Chill out, if you don't want to be rude you don't have to make or verbally agree with some comments, but don't make that detract from your social interaction. You're 13, you're young; enjoy it while you can :P .

[Note]

Reb is exactly right. Around that age, I didn't get even 1/5ths the inuendos that my friends and everyone else were saying, but I didn't just stop socializing because of the morales I held myself to. You just have to ignore that part of it for the moment, and continue conversing. Or, if it's an inuendo-fest, just stick to the basics of taking a simple statement that someone said, and then repeating it from the verb onwards with a "I'd like to" in front. E.X. "Let's go roast some marshmallows" "I'd like to roast your marshmallows".

sonerohi.gifimage,p0wn,orange,lblue.png

People that create and/or use forced memes.

People that spread stupid /b/ trends to decent sites like tip.it

People who talk about nothing but 4chan, even when on another forum.

People that conform to the non conformity, just to feel satisfied that they are part of a unique and funny trend, even though it is neither unique nor funny.

I think it's pretty obvious what I hate

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

For the last time, I merely used his grammar as an example in composing my post, along with providing an example to why he should remove his signature, as it is hypocrisy and a complete contradiction.

How can it be the last time when there wasn't even a first? Plus you never even implied that he should remove his sig until now. And so what if it is hypocrisy? It's like the most minor case of that I've ever seen. If you want to really get technical "trying to be a grammatically-critical" isn't correct either.

PS3: God, I'm in a grammar war. Where have I gone wrong in my life? :oops:

For the last time, I merely used his grammar as an example in composing my post, along with providing an example to why he should remove his signature, as it is hypocrisy and a complete contradiction.

How can it be the last time when there wasn't even a first? Plus you never even implied that he should remove his sig until now. And so what if it is hypocrisy? It's like the most minor case of that I've ever seen. If you want to really get technical "trying to be a grammatically-critical" isn't correct either.

Actually its correct, thank you. Even if it wasn't, I'm not the one with the signature preaching about grammatical correctness.

Zierro: Pennywise's question is answered in bold. And, where is my grammatical error?

Jesus Christ dude, people like you piss me off. Firstly, your'e a grammar nazi, secondly, your trying to sound intelligent and higher on an internet forum, thirdly you're taking yourself and everything way too seriously. Why did it even matter if he made a grammar error? What the [bleep] is your problem? Are you that much of an Obessive douchebag that you felt you HAD to do that?

God, what is wrong with you? Arggh! I just hate people like you so much :x

happysigbp0.jpg

SHUT the [bleep] UP.

Christ.

To be honest, people who correct other people's grammar/spelling over the internet instead of posting about the actually actualtopic, many times using it to change the subject when they can't come up with a retort to their fellow debater's post.

:thumbup:

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

The entire last page is going to get wiped by the time I wake up tomorrow, so why not let it out.

To be honest, people who correct other people's grammar/spelling over the internet instead of posting about the actually topic, many times using it to change the subject when they can't come up with a retort to their fellow debater's post.

Double the points if they make an error in the post, too. =P~

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

SHUT the [bleep] UP.

Christ.

I second the motion. All in favor - say "Aye" or make a new thread to continue your grammar discussion.

[hide=Funny Quotes]

So you sucker punched a kid in the back of the head? Good job.
What scares me is that you're like 10 years old.
-.- im not that freaking young
You were a couple years ago.
It's not racist if its true.
Hmm... I wonder how one goes about throwing someone out a window in a mystic fashion :-k

The mental image for that is freaking awesome.

[/hide]

- I dont need to "get a life." I'm a gamer - I have LOTS of lives!

To be honest, people who correct other people's grammar/spelling over the internet instead of posting about the actually topic, many times using it to change the subject when they can't come up with a retort to their fellow debater's post.

I'm confused... I think you forgot to finish your post? :-s

happysigbp0.jpg

The entire last page is going to get wiped by the time I wake up tomorrow, so why not let it out.

inb4turtlefemm

I think I can speak for everyone hear when I say that everyone hates those people who walk towards you in a narrow hallway, you go one direction and they go the same direction. You go the other, and they do the same. You pause to let them pass, and they also wait. :x

I also hate the emote :twss: with a passion, it's probably the most overused and annoying emote on this forum yet people continue to abuse it. :evil:

(My first time using that emote, I feel so ashamed)

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

I'm confused... I think you forgot to finish your post? :-s

No, I may have posted in a fragment, but it was in reply to the statement in the title of this thread.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|