Quests - Guide or freestyle?

JIM

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I did it when it first came out, although I wasn't allowed to write a guide for it as a direct instruction from Mod Mark.

Why was that?

I've often wondered what Jagex think about guides. If my memory serves me correctly, when I first started playing about 8ish years ago there was a notice on the Quest Guides section of Tip.it that said Jagex had requested all guides to be in spoiler form. The RSOF also prohibits quest guides as far as I'm aware.

I imagine they would rather we didn't use guides but accept them as a necessary evil...

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

I always have a guide in another tab whilst doing a quest, no matter what quest it is. I always use it for the "items needed" part (because I hate being in the middle of a quest in the middle of nowhere with some stupid elf going "Whoops, you need a tinderbox") and if it's a hard quest (such as DT, MM, RFD etc) I will use the guide all the way through. For other medium style quests, I will use the guide only if I can't figure out what to do, otherwise I will try to progress through it myself.

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

I have a quest cape and I must admit that for 99 % I just blindly followed the guides, not even reading the storylines. Bit of a waste, now I think about it, but I just wanted them to be done ASAP. (quest cape was my first goal when I got members and I reached it pretty fast I must say).

I find that quests are actually more enjoyable when you do them with a guide than without. If you don't have a guide you have to be constantly running around collecting things and wondering what to do next, but if you do have one you don't have to worry about all that as much and you'll be able to enjoy the storylines, etc.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

I find that quests are actually more enjoyable when you do them with a guide than without. If you don't have a guide you have to be constantly running around collecting things and wondering what to do next, but if you do have one you don't have to worry about all that as much and you'll be able to enjoy the storylines, etc.

Same - usually I'll just use a guide to know if there are any high leveled foes involved and what items I may need.

If it's a short quest like All Fired Up was then I'll do it before guides come out.

2dgucz6.png

I used to use guides before I got my cape. Now I challange myself to get it done before the guides come out, and even after that I won't use the guide unless I am really stuck on some part of the quest.

Heh, I did it when it first came out, although I wasn't allowed to write a guide for it as a direct instruction from Mod Mark.

Why was that?

I've often wondered what Jagex think about guides. If my memory serves me correctly, when I first started playing about 8ish years ago there was a notice on the Quest Guides section of Tip.it that said Jagex had requested all guides to be in spoiler form. The RSOF also prohibits quest guides as far as I'm aware.

I imagine they would rather we didn't use guides but accept them as a necessary evil...

He said as it was at the time the hardest quest he wanted people to try it for themselves for the first week. Tip.It weren't allowed to have a guide up either, the site I worked for at the time had one up (I believe before anywhere else) but that was nothing to do with me. Most places/people respected Jagex's request to not publish the guide. As far as I'm aware this is the only case where Jagex has explicitly requested guides not to be posted for the first week but I've been out of quest guide and quests in general loop for a year or two now (I did 14 quests this weekend lol)

I have a feeling that i'm going to be using a guide for at least parts of the new quest lol

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I think guides are very important for boss monsters. I mean its impossible to guess if something you are going to fight is immune to poison or slash attacks or that rots fish without looking at a guide or fighting it. It's important to be prepared correctly for a battle.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

(quest cape BTW)

I have always used guides unless I happened to try the quest before a guide was out (maybe 2 or 3 times).

Since I have gotten quest cape, I do try to "enjoy" the quests more. Prior to the cape , I would just rush through them, half of the time not even reading the text during conversations.

chris_924.png

I totally disagree. Although running around grabbing things is annoying and it would be funner to read a guide for that aspect of quests, by reading a guide you miss out on the role playing quests. I'm really bad at explaining this, but doing quests in my opinion is all about this: not knowing what to expect and going on an adventure. Having an adventure is what quests are about- like having unique experiences, finding out hidden things, getting really really lost and confused in a new area, killing a boss with only a sliver of hp, and being stuck for hours, are just few of the things you get by doing quests without a guide. The struggles of quests make runescape, not the story line. How can you get engulfed in a story if you've already read an abridged version online and know exactly what items you're going to need!

Here are some memories of questing without a guide

- I remember spending at least 3 days doing regicide, getting extremly lost, exploring the whole elf lands and killing bunnies for food

-I remember spending a week in ape atol trying to beat monkey madness. I was jailed over 50 times LOL. What a quest!! I was litterally shaking by the time it was over.

-I remember doing desert treasure without a guide - going to each boss at least 5 or 6 times each to suicide it, just to see what it's weaknesses were.

-I remember beating the boss to dream mentor with 1 hp left (and no prayer). Was amazing.

-And my one of my best memories in rs: Mourning's end part 2. This quest took me a week of playing for hours and hours every day. To beat it I actually had to take a break from the computer and physically draw out the last puzzle to solve it. Figuring out this ridicoulous puzzle took hours (and I was very tempted to look at a guide for the answer).

Anyway i wear my quest cape proudly knowing I worked for it. And yeah I don't care if you use a guide or not - quests can be very long if you don't use them- but the quest cape is a symbol of being a master quester. If you read instructions on how to beat each quest or boss, I don't think you deserve to wear it.