Your opinion on violence and killing in video games?

Princess Viola

As far as ratings are concerned, I think Halo should be M. It's clearly not aimed for lower teens. Likewise, there's plenty of movies out there with fine philosophical points that some teens would do well to learn, but they're rated 18 for a reason.

In Aus it is rated M, infact games and movies are more strictly rated, with quiet a few games having to be altered for Aussie viewing.

Halo's rated M everywhere, dude.

Nah

[hide=]2mpk0ut.png[/hide]

it's 16/T in Europe :P I got the european version as a present years ago, I dug up the CD cover just now to make sure. Never installed it though, lol.

Impressive. Most impressive. What'sthe list of offenses on the back? Blood/gore, violence, and language?

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Call Of Duty series would not be where it is today without the blood and violence, honestly.

Well usually shooters don't do so well when there's no violence.

And shooting games make up a big part of the video game market.

Basically the video game industry would be dead[/badpun] without violent FPS games, right?

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

Actually, we'd probaby still be in the age of platforming adventure games. Which wouldn't entirely be a bad thing.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

angel2w.gif

Think there are times when the evidence about 'game related violence' is just coincidence though. According to the factual demon that is Wikipedia, a lot of Jack Thompson's cases revolved around getting warrants to find games like Counter Strike because people 'trained' for shootings through them.

Not exactly a good example, I admit, though

As far as ratings are concerned, I think Halo should be M. It's clearly not aimed for lower teens. Likewise, there's plenty of movies out there with fine philosophical points that some teens would do well to learn, but they're rated 18 for a reason.

In Aus it is rated M, infact games and movies are more strictly rated, with quiet a few games having to be altered for Aussie viewing.

Halo's rated M everywhere, dude.

Nah

[hide=]2mpk0ut.png[/hide]

it's 16/T in Europe :P I got the european version as a present years ago, I dug up the CD cover just now to make sure. Never installed it though, lol.

Impressive. Most impressive. What'sthe list of offenses on the back? Blood/gore, violence, and language?

Only a clenched fist image (violence). Guess Europeans don't like rating a game for adults only unless it has really bad or violent stuff like some GTA games.

Basically the video game industry would be dead[/badpun] without violent FPS games, right?

Damn right! I go to GAME, and whilst staring at Imagine: Babies, Pokémon Diamond, and Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima, I wonder: "Where would the NDS be without all these violent FPS?" :-k

The Call Of Duty series would not be where it is today without the blood and violence, honestly.

Well usually shooters don't do so well when there's no violence.

Wrong, just wrong.

Theres plenty of other types to pick from...

We used to survive without as many First Person Shooters.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Also, a mini poll:

HAve you ever had the urge to kill someone after playing a video game due to it's graphic content/portrayal of killing?

You mean after playing a rousing round of Halo, putting down the controller and thinking, "Wow, the way I can slice people up with the energy sword is awesome, I want to go try it on someone for real!"? No.

As a result of seeing people killed with an energy sword, is it imprinted upon my subconcious so that I may be more inclined to think my violent thoughts with increased amounts of bladed weaponry? Well, I haven't noticed anything, but the first time I saw an energy sword used was a long time ago. I'll file that under "maybe".

Or just a feeling of "I suddenly want to go senselessly murder someone"? No more after playing a violent game than normal. In monosyllabic structure, no.

whalenuke.png

angel2w.gif

Also, a mini poll:

HAve you ever had the urge to kill someone after playing a video game due to it's graphic content/portrayal of killing?

No, but I have thought of killing others with methods used in video games.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Damn right! I go to GAME, and whilst staring at Imagine: Babies, Pokémon Diamond, and Brain Training from Dr. Kawashima, I wonder: "Where would the NDS be without all these violent FPS?" :-k

See, you're more of a casual gamer. You prefer fun and "different" games, like adventuring in Pokemon or testing you mind with puzzles. This is Nintendo's signature style of game. This is why it's sucessful, most of Nintendo's users are the "busy" type; not ones who really "get into" the game. Then there are the 360/PS3 gamers like myself, the "online" gamers. i'm guessing about 90% of 360/PS3 owners play FPS games. We don't necesarily focus on how violent the games are, but the thrill of knowing that you "owned" someone. Basically Nonviolent fun = Wii/NDS Violent fun = 360/PS3, right?

BR BR BR? HUEHUEHEUEHUE

See, you're more of a casual gamer. You prefer fun and "different" games, like adventuring in Pokemon or testing you mind with puzzles. This is Nintendo's signature style of game.

Unless that was a joke you entirely missed his point. He didn't imply he plays those games, the point is (besides maybe Pokemon, which *is* a succesful franchise) that the DS console would be almost entirely geared towards small kids if it wasn't for the FPS games. Those lesser known 'cute' game series aren't enough to sustain Nintendo's business.

I love the blood and gore in games. Before you ask, no I'm not a sadistic little boy who shoots small animals for fun. It just makes things feel more satisfying for some reason... like if I killed someone in Fallout 3 or TF2 and they didn't explode into a hundred pieces the games wouldn't be as exciting. Same thing with L4D or Gears 2.

jjroxlu7.jpg

See, you're more of a casual gamer. You prefer fun and "different" games, like adventuring in Pokemon or testing you mind with puzzles. This is Nintendo's signature style of game.

Unless that was a joke you entirely missed his point. He didn't imply he plays those games, the point is (besides maybe Pokemon, which *is* a succesful franchise) that the DS console would be almost entirely geared towards small kids if it wasn't for the FPS games. Those lesser known 'cute' game series aren't enough to sustain Nintendo's business.

Nope, Mlb got my point perfectly well. Look at the demographics for the Nintendo DS. Chances are, the majority will not play FPS, most of which on the NDS are awful in comparison to their home console counterparts anyway.

He can call me a "casual" gamer all he likes, unfortunately for him, they make an ever-growing part of the NDS's market, and Nintendo as a whole.

Both the Wii and the DS are getting along fine despite the XBox 360 having the best FPS.

The 2 top game brands in the world are Mario and Pokemon

Both owned by nintendo

Kinda shows that FPS' dont rule the world.

They rule the computer based gaming industry though.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

He can call me a "casual" gamer all he likes, unfortunately for him, they make an ever-growing part of the NDS's market, and Nintendo as a whole.

Both the Wii and the DS are getting along fine despite the XBox 360 having the best FPS.

Ah, right I get it. Misunderstood it, you're right in saying the NDS really doesn't have a big FPS market... Nintendo does have other significant FPS franchises and earlier games that even outsold it's most other games though (Goldeneye 007 alone was one of the most sold Nintendo games and that was for the N64, not even counting Perfect Dark etc.)

Nintendo especially as a home console maker definitely needs the FPS market though. It will likely just grow with the Wiimote that allows for smoother playing.

Brothers in Arms: D-Day

Call of Duty 5: World at War

Far Cry: Vengeance

Medal of Honor Vanguard

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Just some Wii games that will definitely sell good

Only idiots re-enact violence from video games.

Why should we all suffer for the idiocy of the weak-minded?

image.png image.png

Oh yeah, and I've thought of taking babies and throwing them. For funsies. - Lenticular J

ShamanSniper.gif

ShamanSniper.png

"Isn't it pathetic how everything in our society is built around someone screwing someone else out of their money?" - killerbeer0 on American Society

Rebdragon can't wiz a woz.

Only idiots re-enact violence from video games.

Why should we all suffer for the idiocy of the weak-minded?

FYI generally the way they try and link real life violence to video games is an increase in aggressive behavior which, at least for children, is somewhat true. It's not going to say that they are going to re-enact what they see but just that a child who plays a lot of very violent games may be more anger prone.

Of course it isn't true in anyone. I grew up playing a healthy mix of violent games (Doom, Blake stone, Duke Nukem) and friendly games (Comander keen, Mario, sonic) and I'm about the most non violent person you'll see. Still I think that a person playing Grand theft auto at the age of 7 is a bit weak willed by the parents, especially in such a day and age that nothing is really left to guessing anymore like it was back in the day.

And it all depends on the child, of course. :)

Exactly. There's too much blame on popular culture on why children behave the way they do these days. Video games only fuel the violence, they don't create it. I guess it's kinda handy as a parent to just pass the buck along to somebody else, instead of raising your kids right in the first place.

Tbh it really pisses me off how parents are just so freaking stupid these days.

They're complaining about these "bad sites" on the internet

Majority of countries have a free Website-preventing thinger, yet they cant use that?

And video games have to be bought for like, what, 70+ dollars? (AUD). It's not like the child will buy it without permission!

Plus, as soon as a kid can actually fund enough money to buy the game, s/he would be 15 anyway.

But on violence in videogames and everything, its just a load of crap. It's really just the parents not raising their kids properly and letting them watch TV and play GTA. I mean, they complain about the games or movies and they dont do [cabbage] about it?

Violence in a game is fine, if its M or MA+ etc etc, then parents shouldnt buy those games for their 8 yr old child with A.D.D.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Exactly. There's too much blame on popular culture on why children behave the way they do these days. Video games only fuel the violence, they don't create it. I guess it's kinda handy as a parent to just pass the buck along to somebody else, instead of raising your kids right in the first place.

Right.

As a parent, you should be raising your kids to know that they shouldn't re-enact any of the things they play, see, etc.