Using whip?

rangerko415

Hi, My attack is lv 72 , defense is 73, and str is 84. I was wonder which would be faster. Using whip on "attack" mode to get to lv 75, then use whip on "def" mode to get 75 def. Then use my sara sword to train str?

OR--

Use whip on CONTROL till i get 75 attack n def. THEN get ss for str training?

Which do you think goes faster?

I would personally go for whip attack to 75, whip defence 75 then train strength with ss. But thats a personal opinion. Why you might ask? i just dont' like slow levels (since the xp is divided into 4, you level up slower). i get more encouraged when i see levels comming quicker (even though you might argue it takes the same amount of time, which im sure it does). :thumbsup: if you understood what i said, good for you...i didn't...

pixelsigskulltextjopie2gc5.png

[Thank you very much Skull_Emblem For the Beutiful Sig And Jopie for doing the Text]

oh.. i guess ill hold off in training attack and def till i get around 90+ str then =\

You have it [wagon] backwards.

I would get 85 attack and 85 defense before training strength. Strength is worthless at higher levels, all that matters is that you can take a hit and also hit the enemy constantly. By training strength all you do is increase your max hit. Big deal, it takes like what, 3 levels on average to gain an extra damage for your max hit? Psh. So what if you can hit a 40 and I only hit a 36? Doesn't matter if you hit higher than me if I'm hitting 25% more often than you.

Snow_Miner.png

Slayer Drops

Dragon Chainbody (dust devil), Dragon Platelegs x2, Dragon Plateskirt x3, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x5, Dragon Spear x3, Shield Left Half x4

Staff of Light x2, Abyssal Whip x16, Dark Bow x17, Granite Maul x17, Focus Sight, Hexcrest x2, Black Mask x4, Leaf-bladed Sword, Mystic x31, Obsidian x13, Brine Sabre x2, Spirit Shield, Dragonstone x5

Miner is completely right, Strength is probably the most over rated combat skill out of all of them. It doesn't matter if you can hit high if you can't hit them at all, or they hit you more often. It's way more combat effective to be able to hit faster although lower than your opponent and to get hit less often than to not hit as often, a lot higher, and to take damage more often.

Look at it this way.

Player#1: stats are 80 attack - 90 strength - 75 defence.

VS.

Player#2: stats are 90 attack - 75 strength - 80 defence.

Odds are Player#2 is going to kick Player#1's [wagon] into the next PVP world.

Kalydil.png

Kalydil.png

-Recipient of Lesser Demon Champion Scroll

Miner are Frosty are both wrong :lol:

Seriously the order you level up is down to you and your preference.

Attack effects how often you hit higher numbers

Strength effects how high you hit

Defense effects how often you get hit.

Each has there own pros and cons.

Personally I got all stats to 70 then trained in levels of 5, in order of strength, attack, defense. Once my stats were all 90 I then left defense and trained strength, attack again in levels of 5.

This worked for me (and will for most people) as the standard armour/weapons boost attack and defense more than they do strength. For example I use Guthans body/skirt which offers brilliant defense along with healing capabilities meaning defense isn't as important. Whip and rune defender offers excellent attack bonuses meaning attack is covered. Warrior ring makes this even better. As for strength, the items which boost it a lot are severely overpriced, making them out of reach for the average player, meaning the best way to hit harder is via strength levels.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

you know ive been asked a similar question like this before:Which is faster?Training all 3 separately or on controlled?

now lets look at this mathematically.

lets say there is a monster with 1hp and you are killing that monster

training attack you will receive:4xp attack and 1.5 xp hitpoints= 5.5xp per monster

same goes for if u train solely on strength on defence

training controlled you will receive: 1.5xp att, 1.5xp str, 1.5xp def and 1.5xp hp = 6xp per monster

so u actually go faster training controlled

lets look at a monster with 100xp

training seperately you will receive:550xp per monster

training controlled you will receive:600xp per monster

so the more hp the monster the better it is train controlled and by the time you have a whip your fighting monsters with higher hp's anyway andmost ppl with whip know this and so train with whip rather than gs because gs are slower.

so i suggest getting your lvls the same then going controlled with whip..it may seem slower..and trust me it does i should know cos i use whip...but it isnt...its just an illusion.

[Drazon]"I must admit, that's certainly something. Excuse me while I wipe my drool off the floor."

stratosph3r3.png

you know ive been asked a similar question like this before:Which is faster?Training all 3 separately or on controlled?

training attack you will receive:4xp attack and 1.5 xp hitpoints= 5.5xp per monster

training controlled you will receive: 1.5xp att, 1.5xp str, 1.5xp def and 1.5xp hp = 6xp per monster

so the more hp the monster the better it is train controlled and by the time you have a whip your fighting monsters with higher hp's anyway andmost ppl with whip know this and so train with whip rather than gs because gs are slower.

so i suggest getting your lvls the same then going controlled with whip..it may seem slower..and trust me it does i should know cos i use whip...but it isnt...its just an illusion.

FALSE. You don't receive 1.5 exp per hit to each skill on controlled, you receive 1.33 exp. It's the 4 experience divided among the three skills. You don't receive bonus experience for controlled.

Dragoon_Z2.png

Dragoon_Z2.png

FALSE. You don't receive 1.5 exp per hit to each skill on controlled, you receive 1.33 exp. It's the 4 experience divided among the three skills. You don't receive bonus experience for controlled.

source please i would actually like to see that

[Drazon]"I must admit, that's certainly something. Excuse me while I wipe my drool off the floor."

stratosph3r3.png

Focused training gives (4*damage inflicted) xp to that one skill and (1.33*damage inflicted) xp to your hits level.

Controlled training gives (1.33*damage inflicted) xp to each of the four skills.

From the combat guide, http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?page=combat_guide.htm#s.

Trust me, you don't get bonus experience for using controlled. Or go try it yourself: Goblins have 5 hp at level 2, so by your reckoning you should get 15 experience to each skill for killing two goblins. If you try it, you'll find that you only get 13.33 experience for two goblins.

Dragoon_Z2.png

Dragoon_Z2.png

nvm i found it myself and u sir are correct i withdraw my opinion as it is no longer valid

Training Controlled

[image] Training controlled will boost all of the skills (Attack, Strength, Defence and Hitpoints) equally, this means that the experience you gain is divided up among the skills. Although this may seem slower to some players, it means that you are increasing all four skills at one time.

To train controlled, just select the option in the combat screen for the weapon you are using (to find out which style is which, scroll your mouse over the icons).

source: http://www.runescape.com/c=-1f97be48/kb ... le_id=2349

i still retain the truth that whip is faster than gs though and that controlled isnt any slower...as it proves in that info ^^

stratosph3r3.png

controlled ftw, seriously..

there is no point leveling them seperate...

whip+defender > sarasword.. this has been proven ;)

since everyones ultimate goal is 99s in all melee skills, why not training them all at once?

it takes not longer, its the same speed in the long run, even faster...(if you prefer whip instead of sara)

]Gonalo40.png

For whip on controlled:

- The defender adds +19 (or +18?) slash and +5 str

- 1.333(repeating) xp given per hit, so you get the same xp/hit as the saradmon sword, but more damage

For attack with whip, str on ss (to 75) and then def witb whip:

- Gets atk first, which speeds up str, but still slower then the whip+defender (due to lower stats)

- Gets atk and str first, which speeds up def, so you get it faster then the whip+defender (due to supperior levels)

I believe the 'slow, then fast' with the ss cancel eachother out, just stick with a whip.

quit

oh.. i guess ill hold off in training attack and def till i get around 90+ str then =\

You have it [wagon] backwards.

I would get 85 attack and 85 defense before training strength. Strength is worthless at higher levels, all that matters is that you can take a hit and also hit the enemy constantly. By training strength all you do is increase your max hit. Big deal, it takes like what, 3 levels on average to gain an extra damage for your max hit? Psh. So what if you can hit a 40 and I only hit a 36? Doesn't matter if you hit higher than me if I'm hitting 25% more often than you.

Thats nice, but that's for pvp. He's talking about training on monsters. Anyway, I'd say controlled is best cause whip + defender > ss (and any gs too). However, you could argue that you can train the remaining def lvls with higher att and str (if you do att and str first) but I think the difference will be minimal.

That is so ignorant. Strength is the most important melee stat for general purpose combat. It's been proven.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

That is so ignorant. Strength is the most important melee stat for general purpose combat. It's been proven.

I do agree.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

In terms of exp per hour

I hit 42s at 109 str potted, 44s 118 str potted with whip (with 5% pray and on slayer task but its not too releveant)

The difference is 2 damage 11 levels apart. (this varies but this is what happens to me on task)

The most important factor in exp per hour is gear mostly, and super sets. and prayer helps. with a high str boosting gear you can hit really high at a lower level.

put this into practice. from 85s melee, getting 99 attack, then 99 str then 99 defense is probly the most efficient, as you will cruise 99 def.

99 str with sarasword is a bit slower exp per hour then whip on controlled, but factor in that you are losing time on getting those defense levels, as well as your attack is lower so you will hit a bit less then at 99 att using whip for defense.

compare this to 99 att sara sword and the exp lost is probly the same or less then getting 99 everything with whip on controlled. So in short I think 99 att -> str -> def is fastest and most efficient method. with good gear/summoning, defense is a very irrelevant skill to train first as it is not needed to get good exp per hour, so doing it last with 99 att/str is alot faster in the end

At least this is what i believe in, and you get to reap the benefits of a combat cape a bit sooner. Getting a useless cook/fletch cape just for a cape is so pointless and stupid imo.

ilovecardj.png

ilovecardj.png

Dragon Drops: 80+ boots, 7 med, 3 skirt, 2 left half, 2 Spear, 2 2h

Slayer: 30+ whips, 4 Bows, 1 Mask, 3 Granite Legs, 1 Visage (Wyverns)

Notable GWD Splits: Bandos Tassets: 12, Bandos Chest: 11, Bandos Hilt: 2

Proud Slayer of 99 Att/Str/Def/HP/Range/Summoning

Although the exp rate will not vary by much, training controlled is overall quicker(due to rune defender/sheild bonus), but only by a very small amount. There levels will come around the same time, but the space between levels will be quite larger. It ultimatly comes down to which method you prefer.

Jijilentosmi.png[stats][/stats]