Closed.

Veritas94

Ask Jagex to make bow swords so we can melee and range at the same time. Oh wait, we can't because our max is already too über. You can mage and melee at the same time in ahrims...As Comp has pointed out, Ahrims has better defense than blk dhide. And what would happen if We had lvl 136's in full barrows with a dfs and a whip casting ice barrage? That's basically what you are suggesting by asking for melee armor not to give negative magic attack.

I'm running low on time, since I have to go to bed soon, but to answer just this one part (remind me to answer the rest next time, ::' ), if you had full barrows with a whip casting ice barrage, you'd have a warrior which could cast spells and be very vulnerable to magic attacks. Or if it was Karils + Mage he was using, then you could just counter that with Karil's/Black D'hide & A Melee weapon. Balance \'

You have no idea how defense works...

75% or your magic defense comes from your magic skill. If the person has 99 magic and 99 defense, I don't care if they have melee armor, they basically have 99 magic defense. That's called a tank. I've owned people only 3 combat lvls below me before summoning came out. They in torags, me in VOID. VOID ARMOR. See the problem? I even used MELEE against torags in void. At most, they had about 9 less attack lvls than I did. Unlike what the vast majority of rs players believe, defense is a VERY important combat skill. Your hypothetical character would NOT be susceptible to magic except by others of the same levels in magic armor. Tell me, how many people have maxed combat stats?

Also, magic armor would then have RANGED defense.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, Comp. I need your opinion.

Should melee & ranged armor subtract from the magic attack bonus. If so, why?

Thanks,

E.

Yes, they should. Magic is designed to be versatile and flexible, and giving it power to be used with any armor would upset the balance. Magers can eat meleers for breakfast; therefore, they should be equally trounced by rangers, something that wouldn't happen if melee armor didn't give huge negative bonuses. Magic still hits well on d hide.

I see no problem with countering a mage using plate armor. They too are just bending the triangle =). Wanna beat them? Put on some magic robes, and use magic on them =P.

final.gif

Thats where me and you disagree at least compfreak. In my opinion it doesn't matter what armor you are using. It matters what weapon you are.

For instance if a someone casting wind strike is in full iron they are still using mage right?? Sure they are stupid but they are still a mage. Somebody fighting with an MSB in full torags is still a ranger, right?? Same thing with melee. Someone using a whip in d-hide is still a meleer.

Exactly. I can wear ahrims and a whip, have runes in my inventory and cast magic. I can use melee and magic simultaneously. I don't need a staff to cast magic.

Right!!!! So all you have proved is if you are hybirding, magic is extremely powerful. On its own it still is weak compared to range and melee!!!! Rebalance magic so it isn't a support skill!

You've completely turned around my argument towards a point without admitting that my point is correct.

Magic is still able to attack even though I am wearing a whip.

If you guys want a logical syllogism, here it is:

All melee is short ranged.

All Magic is long ranged.

All long ranged is greater than short range.

Therefore, all magic is greater than melee.

think of magic vs melee with dhdie as two meleers in rune armor with dragon weapons.

The catch is, if player A lands a hit once every ~25 seconds, player B can't attack for 20 seconds.

That's what it's like when lvls are equal. Who do you think will win?

75% or your magic defense comes from your magic skill. If the person has 99 magic and 99 defense, I don't care if they have melee armor, they basically have 99 magic defense. That's called a tank. I've owned people only 3 combat lvls below me before summoning came out. They in torags, me in VOID. VOID ARMOR. See the problem? I even used MELEE against torags in void. At most, they had about 9 less attack lvls than I did. Unlike what the vast majority of rs players believe, defense is a VERY important combat skill. Your hypothetical character would NOT be susceptible to magic except by others of the same levels in magic armor. Tell me, how many people have maxed combat stats?

Are you really trying to tell my that a person in super conductive rune armor will stand a chance against barrages. Come on....

final.gif

Thats where me and you disagree at least compfreak. In my opinion it doesn't matter what armor you are using. It matters what weapon you are.

For instance if a someone casting wind strike is in full iron they are still using mage right?? Sure they are stupid but they are still a mage. Somebody fighting with an MSB in full torags is still a ranger, right?? Same thing with melee. Someone using a whip in d-hide is still a meleer.

Exactly. I can wear ahrims and a whip, have runes in my inventory and cast magic. I can use melee and magic simultaneously. I don't need a staff to cast magic.

Right!!!! So all you have proved is if you are hybirding, magic is extremely powerful. On its own it still is weak compared to range and melee!!!! Rebalance magic so it isn't a support skill!

You've completely turned around my argument towards a point without admitting that my point is correct.

think of magic vs melee with dhdie as two meleers in rune armor with dragon weapons.

The catch is, if player A lands a hit once every ~25 seconds, player B can't attack for 20 seconds.

Make that 20 seconds 10 seconds because of prayer, and make those 10 second in game seconds which are hardly equivalent to real life 10 seconds. But I'm not sure I understand the second part about the two meleers in rune armor with dragon weapons. O_o

final.gif

Make that 20 seconds 10 seconds because of prayer, and make those 10 second in game seconds which are hardly equivalent to real life 10 seconds.

Ten seconds...your point?

I also forgot to mention that player A can poison and lower player B's attack by 15% while also healing too.

Are you really trying to tell my that a person in super conductive rune armor will stand a chance against barrages. Come on....

If you have 99 magic and 99 magic, you can survive against barrages.

I survive blitzes with guthans and I have 86 defense and 83 magic.

You also fail to realize that a fully decked out meleer still has positive magic defense with the best equipment. I can have ~20 magic defense with guthans on.

You also fail to realize that a fully decked out meleer still has positive magic defense with the best equipment. I can have ~20 magic defense with guthans on.

I'm calling you out on that one. I know your own magic defense grows as you level your own magic level, but I think you may be exaggerating it a bit.

And, don't forget that a simple mage casting barrages with the proper magic armor (The hypothetical counter to this insane ninja barraging warrior) will have a very high magic attack bonus, further increasing his accuracy. I think the ninjamage warrior would get pwned, lol. :D

final.gif

I admitted magic is strong at hybriding. Thats what I meant when I typed "Right!!!!". I don't know what the point of your syllogism thing was because I am stupid. I guess I am missing the point because I look at it and say "Wow, player B is a moron because I'm sure the creators of the game would have put something into the game that cuts the time he can't attack in half".

You don't understand what rebalance means I guess though. It would be tough especially if RS is the only game you have played. It really isn't something Jagex ever does. It doesn't mean buff. It means change so magic stops blowing when it is the only thing used and it stops owning when combined with a DDS/whip.

And since you added that player A or w.e can now poison and [cabbage] heres a shocker.... PLAYER B WHIPS OUT HIS SEERCULL BOW AND HITS A 30 MAKING PLAYER A NOT BE ABLE TO [cabbage]!!!! WTF NOW.

Really. All these situations of the "mage" owning are just situations of a hybrid kicking the crap out of someone is rune armor to stupid to pull out a cbow. Stop talking about hybriding and talk about how people using magical spells get the [cabbage] kicked out of them by people using bows/swords/whips.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

[hide=]

[/hide]

Make that 20 seconds 10 seconds because of prayer, and make those 10 second in game seconds which are hardly equivalent to real life 10 seconds. But I'm not sure I understand the second part about the two meleers in rune armor with dragon weapons. O_o

You can pray meleer just as easily. Not that it matters, a decently skilled mage can easily dodge the meleer and never get hit. I was slightly curious about your 'game vs. real life' seconds, so I decided to test it out. I used a stopwatch to time the exact amount of time it took between the freezing of a guard and the time it started to move towards me. Results: 19.8 seconds the first time, 19.9 the second, 19.9 the third. I didn't feel it was necessary to time more. Sounds like another of your 'facts', like +15% magic prayer boosting your damage. Out of curiosity, how much have YOU used magic in PVP? As a rough guess, I have maged around 300 hours in PVP.

Yep, and that +20 will do almost nothing to a magers accuracy. Mages are VERY accurate, even at 100+ magic defence; far more so then a meleer can hit with the 300+ armor defence of other meleer armor.

And since you added that player A or w.e can now poison and [cabbage] heres a shocker.... PLAYER B WHIPS OUT HIS SEERCULL BOW AND HITS A 30 MAKING PLAYER A NOT BE ABLE TO [cabbage]!!!! WTF NOW.

The highest I have EVER seen a seercull hit is 7. Virtually every time is a 0, and a complete waste of the meleer's special bar. I have close to 160 range defence in my magic armor, and almost no one brings one to PVP. As for you 'pure' accounts, a pure mage will STILL take down a pure meleer, and I can rehash again: the mage's spells will result in him winning the fight, no matter WHAT. His 3 to 1 advantage in hitting means that the mager with a whip (yes, you can cast spells without a staff! Shocking, I know) can EASILY defeat a meleer.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

the mager with a whip (yes, you can cast spells without a staff! Shocking, I know) can EASILY defeat a meleer.

Hmm... I direct you to the thread title. "Magic is absurdly underpowered". I don't think it says "Magic in combination with a whip is absurdly underpowered". And once again, we have a hybrid beating up on a moron. I don't think "the mager WITHOUT a whip" would EASILY defeat that meleer.

Since the begining of this thread the argument that magic is good always has the person using magic hybriding. I can build a good argument for melee and range being good without them switching weapons every 10 seconds.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

You can pray meleer just as easily. Not that it matters, a decently skilled mage can easily dodge the meleer and never get hit. I was slightly curious about your 'game vs. real life' seconds, so I decided to test it out. I used a stopwatch to time the exact amount of time it took between the freezing of a guard and the time it started to move towards me. Results: 19.8 seconds the first time, 19.9 the second, 19.9 the third. I didn't feel it was necessary to time more. Sounds like another of your 'facts', like +15% magic prayer boosting your damage. Out of curiosity, how much have YOU used magic in PVP? As a rough guess, I have maged around 300 hours in PVP.

----------

I use magic quite often in PvP, thanks for asking, but I'm forced to hybrid =(. I too have tested this in PvP and my barrages are frequently shorter than those 20 seconds. I'm not quite sure where you're getting your numbers. Perhaps magic defense figures in somehow? Or perhaps there are differences between the calculations for player time and NPC time. I don't know, sorry. :|. I remember there was a big post on the forums on it, so I tried it in the wildy to see what would happen and the time was indeed shorter. Let me know what you get. I'm curious =). If I am wrong, then it does indeed hold 10 seconds with prayer, and I've made another MINOR mistake. Quit being so jumpy about it; after all, it's not like a fleeting 10 seconds would do you much good :? . Unless the meleer was absolutely trapped, teleblocked(unlikely, since you're on ancients, and if you're in multi, then it's likely your team has already finished him)., out of food, not near a bank, and wearing conductive armor, there isn't anything much that can happen. The grand scheme of everything else I've said does remain, though.

final.gif

Very nice. I liked the pictures even though I have no idea who Pai Mei is. Funny too :P.

I think mages should get a counter like "Strength" for melee. Not the skill Strength but the Strength bonus. Mages could get Spell power, which could be raised by Enchanting yourself with a new spell, maybe about 4 ranks requiring higher levels in Magic and better runes along with maybe a new rune(?) of enchanting possibly, or just requiring some random runes.

Enchantments:

Basically, you use one of four elemental runes to enchant yourself. With that, you can increase your spellpower for that element. For Ancients and Lunar you could just use Deaths and Bloods and Astral, respectively. Enchanting would last for a good 10-15 minutes and can be only casted on yourself. Only able to cast one Enchantment at once, this could increase your spell power which like the strength bonus increases your damage capabilities. Spell power can also be obtained by weapons and shields such as mind and elemental shields perhaps, just like strength bonus. So instead of just mage gear offering accuracy, it could offer a better damage.

Just a suggestion, tweak it, whatever, do what you want with it. I agree with your rant though, and I do think magic is underpowered since they have basically no defense against melee and range except for prayer, but then you get the constant spam(mmm...) of noobs calling you a prayer noob. They are very supportive, I must add, being able to freeze targets while meleers can go in for the kill.

And to the person who said mages were never meant for combat...

Explain the combat triangle. They were meant for combat, it's just that in the midst of all this chaos that Jagex went through creating all this ridiculous junk for melee, they left the poor skill in the corner. Without magic, the combat triangle would be like a combat line. :o...

lolbx7.png

Main: Snw rifleman - FINISHED DESERT TRESURE 11/5/08 WOO

Just your typical asian who likes to play games =)

I use magic quite often in PvP, thanks for asking, but I'm forced to hybrid =(. I too have tested this in PvP and my barrages are frequently shorter than those 20 seconds. I'm not quite sure where you're getting your numbers. Perhaps magic defense figures in somehow? Or perhaps there are differences between the calculations for player time and NPC time. I don't know, sorry. :|. I remember there was a big post on the forums on it, so I tried it in the wildy to see what would happen and the time was indeed shorter. Let me know what you get. I'm curious =). If I am wrong, then it does indeed hold 10 seconds with prayer, and I've made another MINOR mistake. Quit being so jumpy about it; after all, it's not like a fleeting 10 seconds would do you much good :? . Unless the meleer was absolutely trapped, teleblocked(unlikely, since you're on ancients, and if you're in multi, then it's likely your team has already finished him)., out of food, not near a bank, and wearing conductive armor, there isn't anything much that can happen. The grand scheme of everything else I've said does remain, though.

What? Trapped for 10 seconds is a big deal when you can immedatly freeze within 2 seconds of them being unfrozen. I can cast for 10 seconds, then run for 2, turn around, and barrage you again without ever being touched. I didn't see how many hours you use it in PVP, nor what your levels are. Since you were so insistant, I tested it. For the record, protect from anythning reduces damage\effeects by 40%, not 50%. Another 'mistake' on your part. So I went to clan wars with my stopwatch, and the end results were this: Without protect from magic, 20 seconds. With protect from magic, 12 seconds. Any other questions?

As for the whole class argument, I can maintain this: A pure mager will beat a pure meleer. Armor is just as much a part of a class as weapons; magic and range have the ADVANTAGE of having armors with large bonuses so that they can effectively fight in several different ways. Switching to range armor is just as much 'class switching' as switching to a whip; but in the case of range armor, the 'meleer' still has a HUGE deficiency from the earlier spells and lower defence - this is the reason the mage has the advantage.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

What? Trapped for 10 seconds is a big deal when you can immedatly freeze within 2 seconds of them being unfrozen. I can cast for 10 seconds, then run for 2, turn around, and barrage you again without ever being touched. I didn't see how many hours you use it in PVP, nor what your levels are. Since you were so insistant, I tested it. For the record, protect from anythning reduces damage\effeects by 40%, not 50%. Another 'mistake' on your part. So I went to clan wars with my stopwatch, and the end results were this: Without protect from magic, 20 seconds. With protect from magic, 12 seconds. Any other questions?

As for the whole class argument, I can maintain this: A pure mager will beat a pure meleer. Armor is just as much a part of a class as weapons; magic and range have the ADVANTAGE of having armors with large bonuses so that they can effectively fight in several different ways. Switching to range armor is just as much 'class switching' as switching to a whip; but in the case of range armor, the 'meleer' still has a HUGE deficiency from the earlier spells and lower defence - this is the reason the mage has the advantage.

Interesting and informative. I'm glad you cleared this up for me. So we've established that with their magic prayer activated, you can freeze them for 12 seconds, and then you wait 2 seconds, and refreeze. The problem always lies with how you get the K0 though, and in today's PvP, people are going to be near banks and safe areas they can run to in case a mage does show up. I still insist that mage has a very good chance to be killed, albeit not all the time, by a meleer because of the absurd hits they can dish out, and the high chance for splashes to occur using a cheap and inexpensive armor, Black D'Hide. Magic has become a support class which relies on the big hits of Ranged and Melee to get kills. In today's PvP, you may be content with the fact that it has become that, but I'm not. There are areas in which magic could use improvement in terms of both its armor and damage potential.

You and I have been going at this for quite some time now, and I believe neither of us have an intention of stopping. So, let me ask another question. Do you believe magic is fine the way it is? Would you be okay with giving it a spec, a cheaper staff which does slow melee's damage potential a bit, or some better armor that can absorb the damage Mages have to deal with on a daily basis better? I'm not looking for radical godlike ninja power, just improvements. Look forward to your response :)

final.gif

I believe that magic, as it is now, has plenty of power. The game is fairly well balanced right now IMO. But since Jagex has been increasingly turning their attention to rangers, the time may come when magic needs an update. Until then, I can continue hitting 60+ with magic combos, rarely splashing, freezing my opponents + halving their attack speed in a single shot.

DeviledEgg24.png

Alright, we have a difference of opinion. It's become clear to me that you're not in support of my thread, but this is alright with me. Although, I also think you should realize that I do plan to press on with this thread, and expand it, and add suggestions as to how magic can be improved. I'll try to keep this thread alive to the best of my ability, and if you change your opinion and decide to suggest something that can potentially benefit magic, then that'd be alright for me to. For now though, I think it's time we give it a rest to dissecting each other's arguments because of the fundamental differences in opinion we have. :thumbsup:

Elusefelier.

final.gif

Alright, we have a difference of opinion. It's become clear to me that you're not in support of my thread, but this is alright with me. Although, I also think you should realize that I do plan to press on with this thread, and expand it, and add suggestions as to how magic can be improved. I'll try to keep this thread alive to the best of my ability, and if you change your opinion and decide to suggest something that can potentially benefit magic, then that'd be alright for me to. For now though, I think it's time we give it a rest to dissecting each other's arguments because of the fundamental differences in opinion we have. :thumbsup:

Elusefelier.

Ok, I'll just leave my argument as this so there's no miscommunication:

A mage, wearing magic armor and wielding a magic staff, will lose to a meleer wearing range armor and wielding a meleer weapon. Unfortunately, I have NEVER heard of anyone trying this, and in ANY other situation magic caries the day, being FAR more powerful then melee, and with a simple armor change easily beating rangers - the ultimate PVP machine.

DeviledEgg24.png

There won't be any miscommunication, don't worry :D . Your posts are forever embedded in my thread after all! :lol: Everyone will know precisely what yours are through what you've written here =).

People tend to read the last page and not bother with all the other replys. I would like to change a slight typo in your title, though - change the 'un' to 'over', any skill that gives you a 3-1 advantage against another fighter should be respected. As it stands, magic is fixed firmly atop the combat triangle :P

DeviledEgg24.png

There won't be any miscommunication, don't worry :D . Your posts are forever embedded in my thread after all! :lol: Everyone will know precisely what yours are through what you've written here =).

People tend to read the last page and not bother with all the other replys. I would like to change a slight typo in your title, though - change the 'un' to 'over', any skill that gives you a 3-1 advantage against another fighter should be respected. As it stands, magic is fixed firmly atop the combat triangle :P

ROOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! HOOOOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

final.gif