Closed.

Veritas94

Magic can still hit on melee people even if they have dhide armor or whatever as long as your magic level is considerably higher than theirs. Though it is true that magic spells cost alot (and on F2P it does cost considerably more than range arrows/melee weapons) I don't see melee people being able to teleport around the world. Magic does not have to be 100% combat. On F2P, one magic user might not beat some person with melee (mostly because of cast time), but a group of people can blow the heck out of a target without being touched. I seen it on clan wars. A bunch of magic people hide behind a fence thing and blow up like 5 people in the first 3 seconds. And then they would get rushed and stuff, but they could always bring melee armor/weps too and use that when fighting against other melee people :thumbsup:

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic can still hit on melee people even if they have dhide armor or whatever as long as your magic level is considerably higher than theirs.

The thing about that is you can level magic without gaining combat while using alchemy to gain no hitpoints xp. Range dominates F2p bh.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

Pures are a thing of the past. 2 claw or dark bow specs will basically guarantee a kill. Pures are obsolete, combat types from a less powered, lower hitting time.

That STILL Dosen't stop the fact that you can train magic defence without getting combat levels, which i think is dreadfully unfair.

O.O

Magic is not useful enough in combat, idiots. proof is how many people do you see in pvp worlds using mage? practically 0. it costs a lot, its hard to use, and easy to get pjed cos you have low def and other people can attack you while your opponent is frozen/whatever. and stop talking about mage in non combat situations as this is a thread about mage being underpowered in COMBAT. SO SHUT UP about alching, etc.

P.S. the combat system needs a big update cos it is sht unfair right now. it only counts your "dominant" skill and it does not care about others, allowing people to hide a lot of power and get unfair advantages.

P.S.S. Have you all ever went to f2p clan wars? tell me how many times you see a mage compared to a meleer or even a ranger. i bet the ratio will be like this 1mage:10+ rangers and 1 mage:50+ meleers.

Magic is not useful enough in combat, idiots. proof is how many people do you see in pvp worlds using mage? practically 0. it costs a lot, its hard to use, and easy to get pjed cos you have low def and other people can attack you while your opponent is frozen/whatever. and stop talking about mage in non combat situations as this is a thread about mage being underpowered in COMBAT. SO SHUT UP about alching, etc.

So learn to use it properly. If you can do that, you can pretty much take anyone down. I see people using it in PVP worlds all the time. Vengeance seems to be the most common.

Don't complain just because you don't know how to use magic in combat.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

vengeance is not a direct combat skill. and im talking about the normal spellbook. seriously, does anyone ever use the normal spellbook in members for combat aside from teleblocking?! i dont know cos im f2p. did you go to pk in f2p worlds before? or clan wars in f2p? if not, go try and witness it yourself.

So learn to use it properly. If you can do that, you can pretty much take anyone down. I see people using it in PVP worlds all the time. Vengeance seems to be the most common.

Don't complain just because you don't know how to use magic in combat.

Incorrect. Veng is used IN CONJUNCTION with other style.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

vengeance is not a direct combat skill. and im talking about the normal spellbook. seriously, does anyone ever use the normal spellbook in members for combat aside from teleblocking?! i dont know cos im f2p. did you go to pk in f2p worlds before? or clan wars in f2p? if not, go try and witness it yourself.

I think range is underpowered, but I'm limiting the discussion options to maple longbows and willow comp bows.

I think melee is underpowered, but I'm limiting the discussion options to mithril hastaes and black claws.

dgs5.jpg

I think range is underpowered, but I'm limiting the discussion options to maple longbows and willow comp bows.

I think melee is underpowered, but I'm limiting the discussion options to mithril hastaes and black claws.

Thats just hipocritical. Sorry.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

And you can train range without gaining combat levels if your training for a triple stack KO.

... And? who cares, I'm saying that i mage alot with 70 mage and 45 defence, pures at my level have 90+ mage, and no defense, they still hit fairly often on me, and i can't hit often on them with magic because magic gives mage defence, which is unbelievably stupid.

Yea, lets make str give slash defence, and make range give range defence.

O.O

Thats just hipocritical. Sorry.

I was using sarcasm to point out the fact that you can't say "magic is underpowered, but I'm going to ignore 1/3 of the skill" and use it as a valid argument. I can say the same thing about melee and range, can I not?

And you can train range without gaining combat levels if your training for a triple stack KO.

... And? who cares, I'm saying that i mage alot with 70 mage and 45 defence, pures at my level have 90+ mage, and no defense, they still hit fairly often on me, and i can't hit often on them with magic because magic gives mage defence, which is unbelievably stupid.

I don't think that's a bad idea, actually.

dgs5.jpg

Thats total bs. everyone will just walk around with mauls and maces. i agree that magic should not give magic defence though.

I was using sarcasm to point out the fact that you can't say "magic is underpowered, but I'm going to ignore 1/3 of the skill" and use it as a valid argument. I can say the same thing about melee and range, can I not?

ancient still costs like 100k+ for an hour of training/whatever, which is why no one uses it. it also can't stand up to the extremely commonly updated melee and the quite commonly updated ranged. mage hasn't gotten a decent update for about 2 years+. fog does not count as a mage update, the robes are too expensive and useless and melee was updated that time too, as if melee didnt have enough updates.

ancient still costs like 100k+ for an hour of training/whatever, which is why no one uses it. it also can't stand up to the extremely commonly updated melee and the quite commonly updated ranged. mage hasn't gotten a decent update for about 2 years+. fog does not count as a mage update, the robes are too expensive and useless and melee was updated that time too, as if melee didnt have enough updates.

Ancients cost a lot because they are powerful. I can easily slaughter a meleer and defeat a ranger with ancients. Learn to use it before you bash it. Melee hasn't got a non specing weapon since abyssal whips; they are STILL on top.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Thats total bs. everyone will just walk around with mauls and maces. i agree that magic should not give magic defence though.

Don't quote someone else's post with my name.

dgs5.jpg

what do you mean melee hasn't got enough updates? they have too MANY. and ancienters cant always defeat meleers. they just have to put on black dhide.

Prior to contrary belief, black d'hide doesn't provide as much defence as you'd think, against magic. A good mage, with proper bonuses and spells, can easily take down a meleer with dragon-hide. And if you can't seem to hit, switch to your secondary weapon. If they are going to hybrid, you should too.

Dragon Claws can hit 72s or so, and AGS can hit 78s, but they are useless if you aren't 1 square away from them. If your opponent is using range, range them back with a long distance weapon, or lure them into a safe spot. I can assure you, even armadyl doesn't block all magical attacks, so you'll always have a chance to do some damage.

Heh, i WISH that barraging only costed 100k an hour. Yes, it is expensive, but it is fun, and you pay for a HUGE bonus. Have you ever killed 9 people in pits solo? When they all pile you? Only with magic, I'll assure you.

WAIT A MINUTE EVERYBODY!

Magic had an update that helped out the magician considerably. With the massive attack bonuses of the arcane shield conjoined with defensive bonuses make it the BEST item in a magician's shield slot. That was only a few months ago. And don't throw any "It's 70m, no way anyone will afford that!" at me. When the first whip was sold, it was for around 150m, and, 4 years ago, 150m was massively more then, with no GWD. You pay for the best.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

what do you mean melee hasn't got enough updates? they have too MANY. and ancienters cant always defeat meleers. they just have to put on black dhide.

What are you talking about? Whip is STILL the best weapon, and before that it was the d scimmy. Melee has had a grand total of 2 updates since the beginning of RS2.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Depends on how you look at magic.

I wouldn't go pking solely with magic but it's pretty powerful when used in conjunction with another style.

You can stop enemies from running away, stop them teleing, slow down their weapon speed (although the cost for this is bs so I am reluctant in putting it here) and a vast amount of unique to magic effects.

Magic owns.

As long as you have melee/range as well.

Zerker_jane.png

Depends on how you look at magic.

I wouldn't go pking solely with magic but it's pretty powerful when used in conjunction with another style.

You can stop enemies from running away, stop them teleing, slow down their weapon speed (although the cost for this is bs so I am reluctant in putting it here) and a vast amount of unique to magic effects.

Magic owns.

As long as you have melee/range as well.

Mage in 20+ wildy owns, so long as you stay out of multi (where you get piled by a team of magers). It's just so darn powerful, a meleer doesn't stand a chance in a 1 v 1 fight and a ranger can easily be farcasted.

DeviledEgg24.png

I'd like to thank you guys for further helping me strengthen my thread. I'll add the arguments about the so called "ultra-mage shield" (I just love the practicality of PvPing with it, btw), and I'll also add the fact that training magic gives you magic defense (They must have had a little bit too much to drink when they implemented this, rofl)

Keep up the great discussion,

Elusefelier

final.gif

I'd like to thank you guys for further helping me strengthen my thread. I'll add the arguments about the so called "ultra-mage shield" (I just love the practicality of PvPing with it, btw), and I'll also add the fact that training magic gives you magic defense (They must have had a little bit too much to drink when they implemented this, rofl)

Keep up the great discussion,

Elusefelier

They should have made magic defence much, much higher. D hide is pathetic against mage; it's very, very easy to hit in good mage gear. Melee, on the other hand, is a tank - you hit what, once in 10 times on barrows?

Magic could also do with slowing of spells. That way you couldn't be hitting off insane combos WITH special effects - the spells with effects could have their max hit dropped to.

A few nerfs would bring it much more in line with other combat styles, instead of decimating both melee and range as it currently does.

DeviledEgg24.png

They should have made magic defence much, much higher. D hide is pathetic against mage; it's very, very easy to hit in good mage gear. Melee, on the other hand, is a tank - you hit what, once in 10 times on barrows?

Magic could also do with slowing of spells. That way you couldn't be hitting off insane combos WITH special effects - the spells with effects could have their max hit dropped to.

A few nerfs would bring it much more in line with other combat styles, instead of decimating both melee and range as it currently does.

I respectfully disagree with you, Compfreak. But you already know this, and it's fairly clear that you and I have vastly contrasting perspectives on in-game mechanics. Mages should be able to cast much much faster, hit harder, and have readily accessible attacks and specials to decimate melee in F2P and PvP, exactly the way rangers own mages.

Our views, I'm afraid, will never be the same on this issue, so you really shouldn't bother addressing my posts, and I won't bother addressing yours. It seems our notions of logic are different.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your colorful contributions to this thread.

final.gif

I respectfully disagree with you, Compfreak. But you already know this, and it's fairly clear that you and I have vastly contrasting perspectives on in-game mechanics. Mages should be able to cast much much faster, hit harder, and have readily accessible attacks and specials to decimate melee in F2P and PvP, exactly the way rangers own mages.

Our views, I'm afraid, will never be the same on this issue, so you really shouldn't bother addressing my posts, and I won't bother addressing yours. It seems our notions of logic are different.

That does not mean we cannot continue discussing this. I have outlined my points - a mage can freeze, halve attack speeds, lower attacks by 35%, poison, and then proceed to heal off of the meleer, dealing 100+ damage and healing 25+ for every hit the meleer gets on him - and a skilled mage should NEVER get hit. I don't see how that's 'underpowered'; the meleer never even gets a chance to hit!

DeviledEgg24.png