Closed.

Veritas94

The only problem with Magic is that people don't treat is as a combat class. If a Meleer or Ranger attacks somebody, most people won't use protection prayers against them, and they won't be teamed. Magic however, everybody slaps on Magic Protect and, even if it was a 1 on 1 fight, nobody honors it. You'll get tagged for using Magic and teamed, while, in normal situations, that wouldn't happen in Ranger/Melee fights.

Magic has great power, people just need to realize and respect it.

well i dont know about the new pvp, havent done it so much lately, but in the old pk u never putted on mage protect because mostly mages are the best hybrids and would come to u with a dds to spec u dead if u ever tried mage prot...

about the honor... do u do it for getting a 'wow u owned him, nice u rock' from a lvl 3 whos running around and looking at the fights or u wanna get a nice drop at ur feets wich alows u to become better and richer? i think the 2nd 1, no?

claneurope.gif

exercitum-1.png

[hide]visage drop 11/01/09

goals:

all skills 70+ (completed)

all skills 80+

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER![/hide]

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can respect your opponent without letting him live.

If you mean 'respect' by 'not farcasting', that's like saying the melee player can 'respect' you by not wearing armor. Farcasting is a built in advantage for mages, DESIGNED for them. Do you think Jagex put ice barrage in just for the pretty animations?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

If you mean 'respect' by 'not farcasting', that's like saying the melee player can 'respect' you by not wearing armor. Farcasting is a built in advantage for mages, DESIGNED for them. Do you think Jagex put ice barrage in just for the pretty animations?

Trust me, I'm a firm believer in using any tactic or opportunity you can to win. Perhaps we have different speculations on respect. You don't respect somebody by PJ'ing or piling on a fighter who is only using what his combat class is. Mage's are the only class that isn't respected, as nobody thinks they can actually fight, and, because of it, pile them.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Trust me, I'm a firm believer in using any tactic or opportunity you can to win. Perhaps we have different speculations on respect. You don't respect somebody by PJ'ing or piling on a fighter who is only using what his combat class is. Mage's are the only class that isn't respected, as nobody thinks they can actually fight, and, because of it, pile them.

I beg to differ - I believe that piling came about from the early Castle Wars days, when DT just came out and mages were crazily powerful as it was previously ONLY meleers. Everyone had to pile them to have a chance of taking them down. A skilled mage is still far more dangerous then an equally leveled melee player; hence why they are swarmed. Tactics like blood barrage can easily counter this, however.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

In multi-combat, piling is fine. But I'm more upset how everybody in Clan Wars or Fight Pits( i know it's multi, but if you only ask 1 person to fight, you should only fight 1), even if you ask for a 1 vs 1 fight, nobody honors it, and you are piled just for being a mage.

Picture2-10.png

In multi-combat, piling is fine. But I'm more upset how everybody in Clan Wars or Fight Pits( i know it's multi, but if you only ask 1 person to fight, you should only fight 1), even if you ask for a 1 vs 1 fight, nobody honors it, and you are piled just for being a mage.

Yes, it's hard to mage in fight pits, but if you have a friend with you, the two of you can easily take out everyone else in a 10- world.

DeviledEgg24.png

Fair enough, I'm pretty sure we've high-jacked this thread enough. ::'

Magic just needs to be used correctly, which, in most cases, it isn't. That will change soon.

Picture2-10.png

Though i believe magic is underpowered when used by itself, so is melee or range as people have to switch to d'hide to own mages.

Probably one of the worst things is that, Melee armor is good against range and melee and has negative mage and ranger attack bonuses, and negative mage defence, range armor is good against magic, and also has negative mage bonus.

Which leaves mage armor, the only armor mages can use, which provides little melee defense, and gives mages significantly less versatility in terms of armor class when compared to warriors.

Every single other class in the combat triangles armor is good against offending class, Melee armor protects against range well, range protects against magic well, and mage armor protects against itself, and nothing much.

But, in a world of hybriding, which really is the only way to PK nowadays, Magic is invaluable, so although you wouldn't use magic by itself generally because of little KO value and low accuracy, you will probably need it when hybriding.

O.O

Fair enough, I'm pretty sure we've high-jacked this thread enough. ::'

Magic just needs to be used correctly, which, in most cases, it isn't. That will change soon.

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=777299

Picture2-10.png

Or the mage could use Miasmic spells and go all out against the ranger with attack bonus while still having an almost okay range defense, since he will now be dealing more damage per minute. He can combine this with ice spells to prevent the ranger from attacking if he is good enough, thereby owning the ranger without even having to hybrid. LOSS. Loss exacerbated by the fact that most rangers just wear melee tanking gear not expecting to get attacked by a mage, thereby negating their mage defense advantage.

I can vouch for the fact that dragonhide is nearly useless against my mage attacks, at least. It just reduces my hit rate from about 99% to about 90%, and if my first attack hits, my opponent is dead anyway.

And sorry to drag on about this, but I've heard from a couple of sources that autocasting ancients with an ancient staff increases your attack speed to that of a whip. Can you confirm or refute this?

The only time I've ever heard about it being faster was some mention from the quest guy about it, but I recently tried to find evidence and found nothing about it on the KB. I concluded that the 'faster' was talking about it being able to autocast. I know it isn't noticeable, if it does. Someday I should test it in the duel arena with a friend, but meh.

Just posting to confirm that this is false.

Since the dead horse of p2p magic has been beaten at least three times and we have come to the conclusion that p2p mage is NOT underpowered, let's say how f2p magic IS underpowered \'

Quite frankly, the modern spell book is underpowered. Granted, it's SUPPOSED to be "worse" than the ancient magicks, but there still should be some preference.

It is a fact that the ancient magicks ARE superior to modern combat spells in every which way.

F2p magic's supposed defense is the distance between their opponent. If that is the case, their defense is near 0 (literally and figuratively) against meleers. Yes, free to play magic is absurdly underpowered. Unfortunately, the OP wasn't ranting about that (too bad for him 8-) )

As I see it, the only way to rebalance magic in f2p is to add kiting spells that do both damage (though not necessarily the highest) and decrease run energy at a GOOD rate. Probably ~30-40% run energy decrease from a lvl 65 spell that hits max of 15 should do the trick. No this is not "overpowered". Reason? First, kiting has no effect on range unless the ranger refuses to go longrange and is held by bind. Second, melee is SUPPOSED to lose to magic. Jagex was probably thinking that modern spells were good solo pvp magic and ancient was the MOB and AoE spells for massive pvp in castle wars and multi-target areas. In truth, ancients has booted modern spells out of the ring completely. Even if only about 20% more people use modern spells, it would be nice to at least solo pk with mage on pvp workds in f2p.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Since the dead horse of p2p magic has been beaten at least three times and we have come to the conclusion that p2p mage is NOT underpowered, let's say how f2p magic IS underpowered \'

Quite frankly, the modern spell book is underpowered. Granted, it's SUPPOSED to be "worse" than the ancient magicks, but there still should be some preference.

It is a fact that the ancient magicks ARE superior to modern combat spells in every which way.

F2p magic's supposed defense is the distance between their opponent. If that is the case, their defense is near 0 (literally and figuratively) against meleers. Yes, free to play magic is absurdly underpowered. Unfortunately, the OP wasn't ranting about that (too bad for him 8-) )

As I see it, the only way to rebalance magic in f2p is to add kiting spells that do both damage (though not necessarily the highest) and decrease run energy at a GOOD rate. Probably ~30-40% run energy decrease from a lvl 65 spell that hits max of 15 should do the trick. No this is not "overpowered". Reason? First, kiting has no effect on range unless the ranger refuses to go longrange and is held by bind. Second, melee is SUPPOSED to lose to magic. Jagex was probably thinking that modern spells were good solo pvp magic and ancient was the MOB and AoE spells for massive pvp in castle wars and multi-target areas. In truth, ancients has booted modern spells out of the ring completely. Even if only about 20% more people use modern spells, it would be nice to at least solo pk with mage on pvp workds in f2p.

FTP magers do very well against FTP meleers of their level. The problem is that mage maxes out at level 60, where a meleer would have 45-45 combat stats; a fair fight for the mage. However, against 100+ players, they obviously fail. They could use a few higher level spells.

DeviledEgg24.png

D hide should lower melee attack bonuses.

We should get a special attack on an ancient staff along with the Mage Training Arena staffs (special attack getting stronger as there are better staffs)

We should be able to stuff some item (dragon scales new ones like red or black) or maybe (cant find the word for it) like little metal plates (NOT plate bodies) in our robes like one scale/plate for a robe hat, 3 for the robe top, 2 for the robe bottom, and one for boots/gloves.

Giving a magic gwd item.

Giving a magic gwd item.

Giving a magic gwd item (arma plx).

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

We should get a special attack on an ancient staff along with the Mage Training Arena staffs (special attack getting stronger as there are better staffs)

We should be able to stuff some item (dragon scales new ones like red or black) or maybe (cant find the word for it) like little metal plates (NOT plate bodies) in our robes like one scale/plate for a robe hat, 3 for the robe top, 2 for the robe bottom, and one for boots/gloves.

Giving a magic gwd item.

Giving a magic gwd item.

I suggest reading this thread.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Well Thank you.

Magic can compete with other classes, even beat their weakness in cases.

Picture2-10.png

Giving a magic gwd item.

Giving a magic gwd item.

I did read that thread.

My opinion dosen't change.

I dont want all of the above said items just one or two.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, mage + range farcast is so win, assuming they don't teleport away.

Hence why the wonderful 'teleblock' spell exists :twss:

What do melee\range have in that area? Anyone?

DeviledEgg24.png

I agree, mage + range farcast is so win, assuming they don't teleport away.

Hence why the wonderful 'teleblock' spell exists :twss:

What do melee\range have in that area? Anyone?

D claws

D claws can teleblock now? Do tell, what won't they think of next :shock:

DeviledEgg24.png