Closed.

Veritas94

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when you think about it, what is it really used for most? Combat, or the other insanely useful things like enchantments, teleports, alchemy, and the crazy-[wagon] Lunar spellbook?

Yeah, it's hard to take on a well-equipped warrior in 1v1, even. But in my opinion, combat isn't the primary use for magic.

You could always try a combination of rune and splitbark. I used to tank somewhat decently against warriors my level in stuff like that.

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

Viability in non-combat areas shouldn't mean that the viability in combat should be sacrificed. Splitbark isn't a practical solution. It isn't nearly as good as rune, and gives less of a magic bonus. Dragon weapons, godswords, and whips will all rip through that, too.

Besides, it isn't just the armor that needs to be upgraded, as I mentioned in my post. :thumbsup:

final.gif

See my arguments in previous threads. I can take down a maxed melee player, EASILY, despite having a magic level equivilant to 74 attack and strength. They hit me once every 22 seconds at most; usually less then once a minute. Miasmic barrage costs 4.5k per cast, after which the staff is put into inventory.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

See my arguments in previous threads. I can take down a maxed melee player, EASILY, despite having a magic level equivilant to 74 attack and strength. They hit me once every 22 seconds at most; usually less then once a minute. Miasmic barrage costs 4.5k per cast, after which the staff is put into inventory.

Do people not pray against you?? Do they leave their armor on?? Really, I think you fight morons.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

Do people not pray against you?? Do they leave their armor on?? Really, I think you fight morons.

They pray, I pray. They wear metal armor, I wear mage armor. They wear range armor, I melee them with whip, and I've got a higher defence bonus. They have 30% lower attack and they are poisoned. Plus they are still hitting at half speed from the single miasmic barrage, so I will be outhitting them at least 2 to 1, until they put melee armor on. At which point I barrage, then sidestep attack them if they put on range armor, else blood barrage.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

No thanks to a staff that lasts 15 minutes and costs 6,000,000+ gp. The use of those magicks is not included in my post precisely because of the reason it is completely impractical to PvP on a regular basis with them.

Also, I don't want to use Magic as a crutch for Melee and Ranged. I want to be able to use only magic, which isn't viable at the moment. Meleers and Rangers can do extremely using ONLY their respective combat types, so why can't Mages? I'm sorry, but your argument is invalid.

Also, you seem to be ignoring other large parts of my post. :shame:

I WOULD like to thank you though, because you mentioned another issue which I have yet to address: The ridiculous cost of high levels spells. I'll make sure to add that in the very near future.

final.gif

No thanks to a staff that lasts 15 minutes and costs 6,000,000+ gp. The use of those magicks is not included in my post precisely because of the reason it is completely impractical to PvP on a regular basis with them.

Also, I don't want to use Magic as a crutch for Melee and Ranged. I want to be able to use only magic, which isn't viable at the moment. Meleers and Rangers can do extremely using ONLY their respective combat types, so why can't Mages? I'm sorry, but your argument is invalid.

Also, you seem to be ignoring other large parts of my post. :shame:

I WOULD like to thank you though, because you mentioned another issue which I have yet to address: The ridiculous cost of high levels spells. I'll make sure to add that in the very near future.

Answer this simple question:

Do meleers or rangers carry only one weapon? No. They carry dds and whip, cbow and msb

Therefore, why not mages use more than one spell?

Consider this set up:

Ice barrage -> Shadow barrage -> Smoke Barrage -> Ice barrage continuously. Blood Barrage as needed. You can replace the barrage spells with blitzes if needed.

What this set up does:

Holds target for 20 seconds.

Poisons at 4.

Lowers attack by 15%.

On the now off chance you get hit, you can heal using blood barrage.

The runes shouldn't be a problem since you only need deaths, bloods, souls, and combination of water, fire, and air runes/staff/combo runes. According to my calculations, you use 5 inventory spaces with ancient staff and 4 with steam staff. The rest of the inventory space should be used for super defense, prayer potions, possibly Saradomin Brews and sup restores.

Your argument of being expensive only holds water until Jagex releases Soul runecrafting. After that, all of these items can be foraged and made.

Of course, this is pure anti melee. I haven't posted any anti-range because range is supposed to beat magic.

Another set up:

Ice Barrage -> Miasmic Barrage -> Shadow Barrage -> Smoke Barrage -> Ice/Blood Barrage as needed.

This will render a meleer using anything under a scimitar/whip useless.

Miasmic Barrage -> Smoke Barrage -> Blood Barrage As needed.

Anti-range finally. Notice that this set does not include Shadow or Ice Barrage because Attack does not determine accuracy and rangers can shoot from afar.

Only if the ranger uses dragon bolts will a cbow be semi-effective. A msb will be rendered worse than a normal cbow.

Magic only needs a creative mind to be effective. Don't say that magic is under powered; say that the mages' minds behind that attack style are underpowered.

Dhide argument:

They are hybriding, why aren't you?

Obvious.

Range armor + melee weapon < Melee armor + melee weapon

Don't light a fire, pour water on it, and then complain it went out.

Basically, it's like:

Lol, every1s got a landmaster, why don't you?

Because I can't let you have that, fox

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Answer this simple question:

Do meleers or rangers carry only one weapon? No. They carry dds and whip, cbow and msb

Therefore, why not mages use more than one spell?

Consider this set up:

Ice barrage -> Shadow barrage -> Smoke Barrage -> Ice barrage continuously. Blood Barrage as needed. You can replace the barrage spells with blitzes if needed.

What this set up does:

Holds target for 20 seconds.

Poisons at 4.

Lowers attack by 15%.

On the now off chance you get hit, you can heal using blood barrage.

The runes shouldn't be a problem since you only need deaths, bloods, souls, and combination of water, fire, and air runes/staff/combo runes. According to my calculations, you use 5 inventory spaces with ancient staff and 4 with steam staff. The rest of the inventory space should be used for super defense, prayer potions, possibly Saradomin Brews and sup restores.

I'll address this first. The Meleer in the scenario you mentioned will still beat the Mage even if he didn't have a crossbow or Ranged weapon. Yes, that's right. Black D'hide & Prayer WILL win against a Mage because those excuses for spells called Barrages splash all the time. The crossbow would be overkill.

Your argument of being expensive only holds water until Jagex releases Soul runecrafting. After that, all of these items can be foraged and made.

My argument about the cost refers to buying the runes. If you can make the runes, that's also time consuming, and that time translates into money, so they're expensive whichever way you look at it. If I were a meleer, I could buy a godsword, and then sell it back, and I wouldn't have lost ANY money. Mages cast spells which costs 1000's of coins per cast - coins which they can never get back. See my point?

Another set up:

Ice Barrage -> Miasmic Barrage -> Shadow Barrage -> Smoke Barrage -> Ice/Blood Barrage as needed.

This will render a meleer using anything under a scimitar/whip useless.

Miasmic Barrage -> Smoke Barrage -> Blood Barrage As needed.

Anti-range finally. Notice that this set does not include Shadow or Ice Barrage because Attack does not determine accuracy and rangers can shoot from afar.

Only if the ranger uses dragon bolts will a cbow be semi-effective. A msb will be rendered worse than a normal cbow.

Now I'll address this part of what you said. First, I'd like to say that it's perfectly fine for Rangers to beat Mages; that's the way it's meant to be. Secondly, I'd like to point out that in the spell rotation you mentioned above, you've included "Miasmic Barrage." Did you know Miasmic Barrage requires you to buy a staff which lasts 15 minutes and costs 6,000,000 gold coins? If you can look me in the face and say that this is practical way of PvPing, then I have nothing more to say to you. ::' I will however, assume that you did not know this.

Magic only needs a creative mind to be effective. Don't say that magic is under powered; say that the mages' minds behind that attack style are underpowered.

My mind is underpowered? Are you suggesting I'm stupid? That's low. NO, it IS magic that is underpowered, not the Mages' minds. Have you seen the rants forum on runescape.com lately? There is 4K+ support list for a buff to mages. The thing that is significant is that a very large part of that support list includes Mages who have both 95+ magic and other high level Melee and Ranged stats and are experienced with the shortcomings of Magic in its present pitiful state.

Dhide argument:

They are hybriding, why aren't you?

Obvious.

Range armor + melee weapon < Melee armor + melee weapon

Don't light a fire, pour water on it, and then complain it went out.

You're not getting the point. The meleer isn't forced to switch the weapon he's using. The Mage is being forced to not be a Mage anymore and he's switching BOTH his weapon and his armor. I'd personally like to see either Black D'hide armor subtract from Melee bonuses, or have Plate armor not subtract from magic bonuses. Take your pick.

Fenrir321, none of the above arguments which you stated have much hold in a real, practical view of playing the game, I regret to say.

FFS, isn't there at least one person that will acknowledge the validity of my rant?

Regards,

E.

final.gif

I agree with you but right below your rant is a "Jagex favors melee" rant which is 4 pages and basically the same thing.

Your last post was right on btw.

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.

^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

You failed to demonstrate how each spell cost more then 4.5k with zuriel staff.

Since when has mage been a crutch? Obviously you can't mage against karils, but you can melee MUCH more effectively. News flash: Ahrims has MORE melee defence then karils, especally when your hitting TWICE as often as your opponent, with 30% higher attack!. Those facts alone mean you could wear almost anything and win the fight. Should the meleer be stuipd enough not to bring melee armor, or switch back to it at any point during the fight due to his being owned thanks to lower defence\1/2 the attack speed\30% reduced attack, you can barrage, step back, and get 6-8 free whip hits on him without being touched. Yes, mage costs a fair amount, but that's the price paid for complete decimation of melee.

DeviledEgg24.png

You have failed to respond to my original post time and time again. I have nothing to say to you. If you mention the Staff of Zuriel one more time, you will confirm the fact that you received an extra chromosome at birth. Get the hell out of my thread. Your idiocy is really provoking me.

P.S. I LoL'd IRL when you said "Complete decimation of melee."

P.S.S. Stop butchering the English language, please.

final.gif

If you can't take down someone meleeing than you do not know how to use mage correctly.

Its more than just auto casting ice burst.

Yes, obviously Black d'Hide Armor, Protect from Magic, and 2*30 DDS Specs which shred through cotton robes do not exist. Excuse my utter ignorance.

P.S. Why is everyone addressing 1% of what I wrote and ignoring the other 99%. I guess they're so attached to their precious melee dominance that they don't want to give up their throne of power.

final.gif

You have failed to respond to my original post time and time again. I have nothing to say to you. If you mention the Staff of Zuriel one more time, you will confirm the fact that you received an extra chromosome at birth. Get the hell out of my thread. Your idiocy is really provoking me.

P.S. I LoL'd IRL when you said "Complete decimation of melee."

P.S.S. Stop butchering the English language, please.

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunatly, one cannot be removed from a thread for what you so bluntly put as 'idiocty'. I'm still curious as to why you are parroting 'read my post' over and over again instead of actually responding to my posts. For the record, your origional post has one thing correct: FTP mages are at a disadvantage to meleers higher level then them.

As for the rest, magic hits 50+ with combos (and no, +15% magic prayer doesn't boost hits, only accuracy), with FAR more accuracy then any other spell. You have completely failed on most of your facts, like the big bad meleer running around in his tough d hide while the mage pathetically tries to hold off with his flimsy robes. Wake up, the mager has more melee defence! He can pull out a whip and cut the meleer into several evenly sized pieces. Of course, we could ignore the fact that the meleer's attack is 30% lower. Or the fact that he's poisoned. Or the fact that the mage is already 100+ damge ahead from his first freeze. Heck, you could even ignore the fact that the meleer is only attacking at HALF speed - the mager STILL has more melee defence, and can barrage the meleer to kingdom come if he even thinks about trying to put on decent armor. Puh-lease, the only advantage melee has is that it requires less skill. A skilled mager can take down a meleer far higher leveld then him with ease. On an even fight, melee looks even more pathetic at 74 attack and strength.

DeviledEgg24.png

If you can't take down someone meleeing than you do not know how to use mage correctly.

Its more than just auto casting ice burst.

Yes, obviously Black d'Hide Armor, Protect from Magic, and 2*30 DDS Specs which shred through cotton robes do not exist. Excuse my utter ignorance.

P.S. Why is everyone addressing 1% of what I wrote and ignoring the other 99%. I guess they're so attached to their precious melee dominance that they don't want to give up their throne of power.

You wont be hitting 30s with a dds spec if you just got shadow barraged a few times. As for 'cotton robes' get ahrims, t helm, master wand and a DFS and you have a pretty good mage bonus along with a high defense bonus. If they put on mage protect, then smite them. Dhide really doesn't protect from magic attacks as much as youre implying it does.

If you need anymore examples as to how effective mage is refer to compfreak's post.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayl4.png

Quit. PM me if you play The Conduit to exchange friend codes.

Compfreak, I'll concede that I made a small mistake about the mystic might prayer (I don't use it very often for that purpose. I prefer smite/protects). However, that doesn't change the fact that the "big bad melee" will be able to maintain a close distance and two shot you. Also, where are you pulling those 50+ combos out of? Using the delayed animations of blitz/barrage is fine and all, but you need some distance, and it requires a frozen opponent - that's situational at best. And honestly, you make it seem like splashes occur once in a blue moon, and meleers really should be cowering in their boots. Not so. You're warping reality.

None of you have addressed the fact that magic lacks the K0ing power of Melee and Ranged. Also, have you ever tried using magic for 1v1 situations in F2P? It fails utterly and completely. Please, unless you've PvP'd significantly with magic, then don't talk. Just glancing at the population of Rangers & Meleers & Magers in PvP worlds should give you a very clear idea that there is something seriously wrong with the state of magic at this time.

The cost of magic is also very high. I mentioned this earlier. If I were to cast 100 barrages, I've wasted 200K. That's 200K I can't get back.

The last thing you haven't addressed is the fact that in order to succeed with Magic PvP, you need to change both your weapon and your armor to accommodate the prayer/armor your opponent is using. A meleer doesn't have to do that against a Mage. That's because our defenses are so weak that a DDS will punch right through the "flimsy armor" and the protection prayers. My point: Why the hell do mages have to suffer a subtraction from their magic attack bonus when they wear d'Hide or melee armor. Let them wear both and not suffer that penalty. This would be fair, wouldn't it?

P.S.@ Italian5kamikaze: Let's not compare defenses for melee & magic armor, shall we. That probably wouldn't be to your advantage, if you're trying to make a point.

P.P.S. Protect from Magic not only halves the hits from spells, but it also cuts the duration of the freeze in half.

P.P.P.S. Ice Barrage doesn't actually freeze you for 20 seconds. It freezes you for 20 game seconds, which is far shorter period of time.

P.P.P.P.S. I like your avatar, Comp. That a dds spec? Kinda like this one?

final.gif

Compfreak, I'll concede that I made a small mistake about the mystic might prayer (I don't use it very often for that purpose. I prefer smite/protects). However, that doesn't change the fact that the "big bad melee" will be able to maintain a close distance and two shot you. Also, where are you pulling those 50+ combos out of? Using the delayed animations of blitz/barrage is fine and all, but you need some distance, and it requires a frozen opponent - that's situational at best. And honestly, you make it seem like splashes occur once in a blue moon, and meleers really should be cowering in their boots. Not so. You're warping reality.

None of you have addressed the fact that magic lacks the K0ing power of Melee and Ranged. Also, have you ever tried using magic for 1v1 situations in F2P? It fails utterly and completely. Please, unless you've PvP'd significantly with magic, then don't talk. Just glancing at the population of Rangers & Meleers & Magers in PvP worlds should give you a very clear idea that there is something seriously wrong with the state of magic at this time.

The cost of magic is also very high. I mentioned this earlier. If I were to cast 100 barrages, I've wasted 200K. That's 200K I can't get back.

The last thing you haven't addressed is the fact that in order to succeed with Magic PvP, you need to change both your weapon and your armor to accommodate the prayer/armor your opponent is using. A meleer doesn't have to do that against a Mage. That's because our defenses are so weak that a DDS will punch right through the "flimsy armor" and the protection prayers. My point: Why the hell do mages have to suffer a subtraction from their magic attack bonus when they wear d'Hide or melee armor. Let them wear both and not suffer that penalty. This would be fair, wouldn't it?

P.S.@ Italian5kamikaze: Let's not compare defenses for melee & magic armor, shall we. That probably wouldn't be to your advantage, if you're trying to make a point.

P.P.S. Protect from Magic not only halves the hits from spells, but it also cuts the duration of the freeze in half.

P.P.P.S. Ice Barrage doesn't actually freeze you for 20 seconds. It freezes you for 20 game seconds, which is far shorter period of time.

P.P.P.P.S. I like your avatar, Comp. That a dds spec? Kinda like this one?

Combos, of course. It isn't some sort of black magic, I can pull off a successful one 19 times out of 20 (thanks to plenty of practice). Splashes ARE rare on melee armor. Hitting 50 ACCURATELY is a very big bonus to magic - unlike dd++, where 4 specs in a row frequently don't land anything, you will hit the combo the majority of the time. As I've stated before, in FTP mage doesn't do as well against higher leveled meleers. I've PVPed close to 1,000 hours with each combat style, so please don't speak of experience. I'm proud to say that I've spent over 70,000,000 on runes for Castle Wars\Clan Wars\Fight Pits. I already mentioned that the cost is just a balancing factor for the advantages the skill provides. You won't need to do any great changing. If a meleer puts on karil's top and bottom, you put on whip. If he puts on melee armor, switch to a staff and keep casting. Very simple. Yes, my avatar is a dd++ and ice blitz combo.

DeviledEgg24.png

I have read all that has been posted...

I am not a mage fan and don't understand what this zuriels staff is... but...

For sure mage in F2p is underpowered... Bind is useless (haha especially when they pj you).

The trouble with it in f2p is the best they can do is 18... (max hit with fire blast) and it is easily protected against...

Also with all the lack of "honour" and pixel hugging the amount of money you waste with food and runes is too much.

The triangle only matters as a rule... In a perfect game it might work... but human nature likes bending the rules...

So we have warriors with range gear for protection? Use a melee weapon on them then?

I know you want to solo using mage but it's not that simple... if pking changes you have to roll with it...

What happened to arena spells? and charge? that's 25+ on most hits isn't it?

Then you've got tele block and snare...

I do agree with who I think compfreak: you do need to be more creative... If you can tell me you have tried every single mage combo then maybe i'll started actually caring...

From what I've read you've ranted about mage being underpowered and people using their brains against you... Then when people say exactly that you have a go at them because that's "Just 1% of your post... erm even my maths isn't as bad as that..

So:What do you hope to gain from this thread? supporters? or actual solutions to your problems? at the moment it's the first...

So:What do you hope to gain from this thread? supporters? or actual solutions to your problems? at the moment it's the first...

well this is a rants topic so he can cry out whatever he wants... :P

for the rest i totaly agree with you(undead, comp...) that you don't have to get upsaid because u lose in PvP when u totaly ignore the fact that

ur the only1 who doesn't want to change for the better...

you've well explained that the melee wairs DRAGON HIDE, a RANGE armor so why the hell don't u use melee weapons??

cuz u gotta change ur staff?? oh poor u, changing a whip 4 a dds costs as much time as changing staff into whip(or other)

about the time u use for changing whip into staff and put in autocasting... be smart and when he puts on some less magedefencive armor u use a little ice spell and u got the time u need (anyway maging isnt realy made for autocasting so u shouldnt have to care then)

so, as 1 of the other posters has said, if pking changes, u gotta change to or drown...

about melee dont have to pay 4 the weapons he uses, no. but he has to train 2 or even 3 skills to be able to count as an dangerous pker

and u said urself, time is money and ask any1 with high melee stats how much time it costed to raise those precious skills!

claneurope.gif

exercitum-1.png

[hide]visage drop 11/01/09

goals:

all skills 70+ (completed)

all skills 80+

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER![/hide]

But we all agree that f2p mage tanks... well, only after cmb level 50 or so.

However, we can't fix that... because its F2P!!1!! (note sarcasm).

If Zuriel's staff didn't degrade, then about 1/2 the problem would be fixed. Or, if it took a much longer time to degrade, say 2-5 hours.

The other problem I see is crossing over from Melee/Range armour, with no averse effects. Probably the a way to solve this would be to make Range armour hurt melee's attacks, or Range armour to not hurt magic's attacks. But I doubt this change will happen. If it did, maybe another 3/8 of the problem would be fixed.

The last 1/8 is no KO ability, or the speed of casting. The speed could be slightly increased, and there could be specials. IMO this isn't a very big deal.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

If Zuriel's staff didn't degrade, then about 1/2 the problem would be fixed. Or, if it took a much longer time to degrade, say 2-5 hours.

The other problem I see is crossing over from Melee/Range armour, with no averse effects. Probably the a way to solve this would be to make Range armour hurt melee's attacks, or Range armour to not hurt magic's attacks. But I doubt this change will happen. If it did, maybe another 3/8 of the problem would be fixed.

since anything u just said wont happen, ur post is kinda useless cuz he pointed these allready out as possible changes

jagex wont come with the special changes u asked for, so stop crying about it and get over it.

start training and try to find a way u're happy and have casted as many spells u wanted and still be victorious in PvP, with necesary changement like doing combo's etc...

their will be no better way since mage would be to powerfull otherwise...

claneurope.gif

exercitum-1.png

[hide]visage drop 11/01/09

goals:

all skills 70+ (completed)

all skills 80+

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER![/hide]

But we all agree that f2p mage tanks... well, only after cmb level 50 or so.

However, we can't fix that... because its F2P!!1!! (note sarcasm).

The last 1/8 is no KO ability, or the speed of casting. The speed could be slightly increased, and there could be specials. IMO this isn't a very big deal.

At least someone understands the key issues with magic.

final.gif