18th December 2008 - Security Reminder

Krampell

Some of you may have read recent news reports regarding a security flaw in the Internet Explorer web browser the default web browser in Microsoft Windows. This flaw is reportedly being used to steal passwords for various popular online games. We would therefore like to take this opportunity to remind all our players of a few important security practices:

If you use Windows make sure you have the latest updates installed. You can get the latest updates and security fixes for your computer from windowsupdate.microsoft.com. This will protect your computer against the latest security flaw.

Never visit a website that you are told about in-game, as there is a chance that you could be directed to a fake website. Fake websites are dangerous, as they can allow hackers to access your personal information, or expose your computer to viruses. Remember, it is against the rules to promote any website, either in the game or on the forums; if you see someone advertising a website in this way, you should report them immediately using the Report Abuse button at the bottom of your screen, and selecting Rule 11: Advertising/Website.

Make sure you have up to date anti-virus software installed.

We also want to take this opportunity to remind you that you should never give out your password, or any personal information such as your email address or real name, to any other player, for any reason. For more information on security, please read this article.

We want all our players to be safe, so please take the appropriate care. Thank you for your support, and Merry Christmas!

And, the sticky doesn't quite tell people what to download, just not to use IE.

Good work Krampell!

I tried to download this earlier when it was released, but my IE went crazy. :wall:

God Bless FireFox!

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Cup_Lion wrote:

Good thing I use Safari/Swiftkit.

I do use SwiftKit, but only for RuneScape & IRC. When I use the Browser SK crashes to easily

I thought SK default uses IE because before I could of swore that I saw the IE logo on one of the windows before..

Cup_Lion wrote:

I do use SwiftKit, but only for RuneScape & IRC. When I use the Browser SK crashes to easily

I thought SK default uses IE because before I could of swore that I saw the IE logo on one of the windows before..

No no, it's called SwiftBrowse.

[hide=Swift Browse]swiftbrowse.png[/hide]

It's simple to use and is basically set on incognito.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Cup_Lion wrote:

No, it uses the Internet Explorer DLL. Basically its IE in a different looking outfit.

Jcfc.jpeg

Thanks everybody for the sigs | 3,956 to 99 fishing | King of BsK 18/09/08 - 18/10/08

Chelsea Supporter | CD Supporter | AfterShock Member

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: Cotton Traders

Now what the hell are you waitin' for? After me, there shall be no more, so for one last time, make some noise.

Cup_Lion wrote:

No, it uses the Internet Explorer DLL. Basically its IE in a different looking outfit.

It's a skin on top of IE. It's like people saying the RS client isn't IE. It's happened. :roll:

Microsoft released a patch for this late yesterday evening, though...

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Firefox > Internet explorer

I was surprised how they didnt tell people to use the runescape client while they couldnt use IE. :P

You can only get infected by going to an infected website. The runescape client is Internet Explorer minus the ability to go anywhere else.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I was surprised how they didnt tell people to use the runescape client while they couldnt use IE. :P

You can only get infected by going to an infected website. The runescape client is Internet Explorer minus the ability to go anywhere else.

Hmm, that explains it.

I thought the virus thing could pop up at any time while using IE. :?

Hmm, that explains it.

I thought the virus thing could pop up at any time while using IE. :?

i think with this flaw it was possible to probe random pc's and install software on ANY pc that had the flawed IE open. It didnt matter whether you were going to an infected website or not (although that would make your chances all the greater)

also i dont think a firewall would have mattered with this flaw as hackers could just use the default http port to scan for the flaw...

AFAIK

btw dnt think firefox is one bit safer, firefox probably has exploits far greater than IE theres just not as many people searching for them as there are for IE. Its why i like opera being so low profile (noone seems to get how great it is) o well all the better for me :P

Lord_Beloved.png

Ok, I went to File>Options>Settings then I ticked Use Default web browser(FireFox as of before), I saved it and exited then I restarted SwiftKit, Is it safe now? :ohnoes:

no, download this: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/comput ... 2_oob.mspx

no need to start avoiding IE like the plague now... overreaction ftl

Lord_Beloved.png

Ok, I went to File>Options>Settings then I ticked Use Default web browser(FireFox as of before), I saved it and exited then I restarted SwiftKit, Is it safe now? :ohnoes:

no, download this: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/comput ... 2_oob.mspx

no need to start avoiding IE like the plague now... overreaction ftl

But I changed everything over to FireFox, it's better anyway, wouldn't that mean SwiftKit has nothing to do with IE anymore?

tipitsiggy.png

Some websites may not be viewable properly through Firefox so you're better off updating.