Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

highlanders

This my appreciation of the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. If you are interested into knowing more about it, read this.

---

It's a remake of a previous movie based on a book.

You might think it's a kids movie. But not at all! It's a brilliant movie, really. It's a mix of fantasy, absurd and of machiavellian at the limit of evilness!

It's basically the story of 5 kids who are chosen to visit the chocolate factory of Willy Wonka.

Wonka is played by Johnny Depp. You might have heard Wonka looks (something). Also, he is a mix of a girl and a boy. Actually he doesn't act like a women nor a men, some people confuse that lack of 'cex' as him being (something). It's wrong, don't believe all what people tell you. Depp plays an OUTSTANDING performance in this movie.

Willy is a complex character. His father was an evil dentist that forbids him to eat anything sugar, he would also do experiments (such as machines) on his sons' teeth. Someday Willie got tired of it and quit his father that's why he is still childish when adult. He's living the childhood he never had. Also, after having quit his father, he could do all he wanted, he didn't have to grow.

There's also this machiavillian part of him. He planned all those traps to sort out who would be the winner of the 'special price'. Each time he barely tries to help the kid (by exemple when the fat boy falls in the chocolate river) he watches with amusement as the Loompas sing and the parent join the kid into the trap. I think this is the trait that makes him an interesting character.

wonk3nt.jpg

Willy Wonka watching one of the kids being sucked by a giant straw-like machine.

Hes also extremely funny with his Kaaaay? and his Hey! also with the way he acts and speaks. His facial expressions are incredible! Think at it, hes all what I mentioned earlier, at the same time! At the starting, we could think of him as being Michael Jackson, but we soon find out that hes much more than that and get really attached to him.

Basically Willy Wonka is :twisted: :wink: :roll: 8)

:? .

There is also the oompas loompas who add a funny touch to all of it.

Watching the movie is like going on another planet for 2 hours. Some of you may love it even more than I did and some of you might not like it at all, but Im pretty sure most of you will like it.

My rate is 9/10. The movie was perfect except the beginning that is too long and the end that I simply dont like. But all the other things, especially Johnnys acting, is wonderful.

---

You may post here comments but bear in mind that the idea is not to ague over points if you have different views and opinions about the movie. Post what you think as a stating and not as a response to another's opinion. NO arguing over which one of the movies is the best, see EDIT.

Let's be all nice kaaay?

EDIT: Please no arguing about which one is the best between the newest and the oldest movie. Personally I think it's a good thing there was two because it reaches a larger public. No need to hurt one's feeling about arguing which one is the best. This topic is about the newest movie.

2480+ total

I think everyone should see the original movie before they see this one.

I'm not looking forward to this one. I wont go out of the way to watch it.

Why do you have to remake a classic film which is still very popular today?

sig2ho7.jpg

The same reason why anyone would make any movie. Money.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

Both are different. Some might prefer the oldest, some might prefer the newest. If one doesn't like the first one, he might like the second one, 2 times the chance to like it. See the new version if you haven't seen it, it's worth it. The previous movie is 34 years old, which is quite old, the new version is amplified with special effects which brings a totally new look to the story.

Edit: As I notified by editing my main post, I would prefer to stay away from the topic of 'which one between the two movies is the best'. It's a topic too controversed. This discussion is about the newest movie.

2480+ total

Digital effects... They really make the film don't they. I mean they did wonders for Star wars episode 1 and 2... I don't wanna see this, this is going to disgrace the first film and I know it. Why can't they leave the classics alone. What next remake casablanca but make all the bad guys middle eastern or something? I think the new film looks and sounds disgraceful.

Please, I would like to stay way from the topic "which one between the two movies is the best". None can make a good judgement without having seen BOTH movies. This won't go anywhere if everyone is unable to go over the fact that there was two different versions. No need to hurt one's feeling about arguing which one is the best. This is a discussion about the new movie.

2480+ total

Money, trying to cash in, and ruin, classic movies with modern interpatations...the ompa-lompas look like gnomes from WoW for crying out loud.

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

Please, I would like to stay way from the topic "which one between the two movies is the best". None can make a good judgement without having seen BOTH movies. This won't go anywhere if everyone is unable to go over the fact that there was two different versions. No need to hurt one's feeling about arguing which one is the best. This is a discussion about the new movie.

I'm sorry but whenever a remake is made of a classic film, most of the discussion should be about the differences in them and how they rate against each other. Especially when the original was such a good film. You cannot ignore the fact that it is an unnecessary remake.

What are we meant to talk about? The "special" effects?

I'd rather spend my money on getting something completely original.

Also having a discussion about it is not hurting anyones feelings.

sig2ho7.jpg

Congratulations Phil. Now you have officially ruined my topic. My topic is about the new movie, all of it talks about the new one and how I liked it. Now, if everyone starts commenting about how lame is the new movie without even having seen it, I don't think that my topic will go anywhere. But go on, have fun getting everyone against me and what I think. And btw, you ARE hurting someone's feeling, MINE.

I'm at the borders to cry (seriously), I hope your proud of yourself.

Edit: Ok, now that I have calmed down. Let this thread die, I don't want people to read this and think the new version is bad basing themselves on people who are unable to accept changement and that didn't even seen the new movie. Jagex's forum crowd is much more pleasant than you people, for once.

2480+ total

Highlanders: I'm really excited to see it, though I haven't yet. I hadn't been, because I thought it was a little silly to remake the film.... AND THEN I saw the preview. The preview was incredible and just made me... happy. Now I can't wait to see it :D

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Highlanders, no offense but although we understand that you really liked the remake it doesnt mean that people cant put some constructive criticism in. All the posts so far have been coherent well explained posts, no one is flaming or criticizing your opinions just expressing their own.

So far i would say this is actually a good discussion... but atm i can't post how i really feel about since i havent seen the new one but i thought the old one was really good. Doesnt mean i wont see the new one when it is on video though. I suppose my biggest concern would be the storyline being sacrificed for more special effects,.

seph54646lrlr.jpg

Cj, Phil, have you even read anything about the movie? Or did you just see the title and assume it was a remake?

In fact, from what I'm to understand, it's not a remake in the slightest. It's simply a different interpretation of the book (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), and supposedly is really nothing like the original movie.

So why not see it before assuming it's going to suck?

IRKAa.jpg

how are people actually complaing about this ruining a classic movie, when in fact it was that classic movie that ruined the book! the new movie is supposed to follow the book a lot more than the old one, so i think you people should be complaining about the classic movie and not the new movie.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Cj, Phil, have you even read anything about the movie? Or did you just see the title and assume it was a remake?

In fact, from what I'm to understand, it's not a remake in the slightest. It's simply a different interpretation of the book (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), and supposedly is really nothing like the original movie.

So why not see it before assuming it's going to suck?

Seriously. As far as I know this is actually based on the book and the other movie was someone's interpretation. I read the book, but don't remember much. I do know the original movie was nothing like the book.

I am yet to read the book. So I figured I might do that at some point if I ever feel like seeing this movie.

For all purposes it should be an ok movie. If it follows the book, as claimed, then even better.

And do note that the other movie is more of a kids film, so... they probably changed a few things to be... somewhat more accectable or something :P Even if it meant screwing with the plot a bit too much...

:dunno:

I am going to see this movie tomorrow with my girlfriend, i'll post what I think about it tomorrow

Edit: -reserved-

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú_o)/ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï

doomdeathyz5.gif

I think that Johnny Depp is the worst actor ever born. The only people who like him are desperate girls and gothic people. He should get over himself...
If you're limiting to Depp's acting career to about 6 movies then that's understandable :roll:

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yesterday. I liked it. Johnny Depp was good in it. However, I was disappointed that the Oompa Loompas didn't sing the same song... and this one wasn't as much of an acid trip as the first one. :D

3898000bYVcx.png

The same reason why anyone would make any movie. Money.

Not every director is like that.

Anyway, I've seen the "old" (a 1971 movie is not old, infact I think this particular movie is timeless) version a few times a long time ago in galaxy far, far away. I think it's about 8 years ago. So I don't remember a lot of it. And Phil and Cj, you shouldn't really whine that much. The movie is in good hands with director Tim Burton; sleepy Hollow, Big Fish, Edward Scissorhands and other awesome movies. Anyway, I'm going to see it in cinema, I hope, just see it before you start judging so negative.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!