Ultimate guide to Mining! The Hated Skill UPDATE-Rune!!!

Toby1knoby20

Welcome to my Mining guide.

Mining is by far, one of my favorite skills. Most people consider it boring and time consuming, and it is time consuming, but I dont find it boring at all.

This guide will cover the whole topic of mining. Including suggested ores to mine for leveling and for money, best places to mine, the Shooting Star mini game and almost everything else you can think of, keyword being almost.

This guide will also include different sections for Members and Non-Members mining.

Before we begin, I would like to thank people who have helped either gathering information for the ores, or who have contributed to the body of the guide!

Thanks to:

M6c Magnum-for helping with the Runite section and the section on power mining granite!

Jazmyne007-for helping gather information on how many ores you can mine at some of the mines.

Lee Maca 86-for helping gather information on how many ores you can mine at some of the mining spots.

To start off, let us review the best mining spots for each ore.

[hide=Copper]Copper: The best place I have found to mine copper is in the South East Varrock mine. It has 6 Tin, 9 copper and 4 Iron. I believe that this is the best for Members and Non-Members alike.

Picture7_2-1.png

Picture8.png

The red is Copper.

The green is Tin.[/hide]

[hide=Tin]Tin: See Copper section. I have found that the best place to mine Tin also happens to be the best place to mine Copper.[/hide]

[hide=Clay]Clay:

Members-The best spot to mine Clay for Members also happens to be the best spot to mine Iron! This is the Port Khazard mine North of Yanille. There are 4 Clay rocks close together, as well as a deposit box only 16 seconds away from it!

Picture21_3.png

Use the Deposit Box in Port Khazard instead of the Yanille bank.

Picture22_2.png

The green circles are the clay, mine the ones up north, 3 of them that close means you will always have one ready to mine.

Non-Members-The best spot to mine clay would be the South West Varrock mine, which is North of the Champions guild.

Picture23_2.png

The red circle is where you bank. Follow the green path from the bank to the mining area.

Picture24.png

These are the two clay rocks in this mine, two is enough. Do not stand where he is standing, instead stand between the two rocks on the right.[/hide]

[hide=Rune Essence]Rune Essence:

Rune Essence is for Non-Members. It can be accessed in all the same places that Pure Essence can be, but it only exists in Non-Members worlds. YOU MUST HAVE COMPLETED RUNE MYSTIERIES.

Picture25-1.png

Bank at the Varrock East bank. Follow the red path south to the rune store, right click the man in there and click teleport.

Picture26.png

This is the place where you mine the Rune Essence. You can click anywhere on the base and you will mine until your inventory is full, or something interrupts you.

When you have a full inventory and are ready to go, exit through the portal that is next to each Rune Essence mine, this one is circled in red.[/hide]

[hide=Iron]Iron:

Members-I have found that the best place to mine AND BANK Iron is North of Yanille. There is a group of four Iron ores as well as a summoning obelisk about 5 steps north of the Iron.

Non-Members-Again, the South East Varrock mine is the best. It has four Iron ores clumped together.

Picture7_2-1.png

Picture10_2.png

Both the red and the green path work, for time the green path is about four seconds shorter, USE IT.

It took about 20 seconds with the red path (Yanille Bank).

It took about 16 seconds with the green path (Port Khazard Deposit Box).[/hide]

[hide=Silver]Silver:

Members-The best spot I found to mine silver was in the Dorgeshuun Mines, under Lumbridge Castle. You must have at least started The Lost Tribe quest. You will need a light source for the cave.

Picture32.png

The green spot is where Lumbridge Teleport will take you, follow the green path into the cooks room and down the trapdoor.

101_mazemap.png

This is down the trapdoor in the cooks room. The green dot is the chest bank you can use. Follow the red path all the way to the green circles on the right, those are the silver.

I suggest you use Lumbridge Teleport for faster banking. If you are a skiller and cant use that spell, fear not! You can buy Lumbridge Teleport tablets off the GE or have somebody make them.

Picture29.png

Non-Members-The Chasm Mine North of Al Kharid and North East of the Duel Arena is the best Non-Members spot to mine silver. Start at the Al Kharid bank in blue. Follow the yellow path to the Chasm Mine in red.

Picture30.png

The rocks in red are silver, there are 6 silver rocks. When you have a full inventory, follow the yellow path back to the Al Kharid bank.[/hide]

[hide=Coal]Coal:

Members-By far, the best Coal mine would be the Coal Truck mine West of Seers Village. Each trip, full up the coal trucks with 120 coal and unload them at the purple circle. NOTE: You must have at least 20 Agility to use the shortcut. If you do not have 20 Agility and plan on mining here, GET IT! It is worth the extra time spent.

Picture12_2.png

Start at the Seers Village Bank. The purple circle is where you pick up your coal after you put it in the trucks.

Picture13.png

It is all Coal, so dont worry about mining the wrong ones! The red circle is where you put your coal into the carts. Just use the coal on the cart and youre good to go!

Non-Members-I have found that the best Non-Members spot to mine Coal is the mining guild. At least 60 Mining is required. There are 37 Coal and 5 Mithril.

Picture14_3.png

Picture16_2-1.png

The rocks in the green circles are Mithril, and in the red circles are Coal.

Non-Members(Mining level lower than 60)-The Dwarven Mine would be the best for Coal.

Picture19.png

Red circle is the bank you will be using. The green line takes you to the stairs that go down to the Dwarven mine.

dwarven_mine_2.png

Thanks to Tip.It for the picture!

When you go down the stairs in the map above this one, you will come down where the green path starts. The coal is inside the green circle, mine it there and go back up the stairs when you are done.[/hide]

[hide=Pure Essence]Pure Essence: Pure Essence is for Members only, sorry you Non-Members. It is mined in all of the same places that Rune Essence is, and in the same way. YOU MUST HAVE COMPLETED RUNE MYSTERIES.

Picture34-1.png

This method is only if you have at least level 66 Magic.

Use the Yanille bank. Follow the red path to the Wizards Guild and right click Wizard Distentor. Click Teleport and you will end up in the Pure Essence mines. Make your way to one of the corners.

Picture26.png

Click anywhere on the base of the mountain of essence. You will mine until you have a full inventory, or something interrupts your mining.

For those of you who do not have 66 Magic, here is another efficient method to mining Pure Essence.

Picture25-1.png

Start at the Varrock East bank. Follow the red path south to the rune shop. Right click the shop owner and click teleport. Make your way to any of the corners.[/hide]

[hide=Gold]Gold:Ah gold, gold gold gold. Lovely gold! Gold has been in huge demand ever since it has become THE thing to level up smithing with.

Members-The best spot I have found is on Brimhaven.

Picture36-1.png

If you have at least 40 Construction, it is worth it to move your house to Brimhaven. For quick and relatively cheap method to get to your house, use either the House Teleport spell or Teleport to House tablets.

If you do not have at least 40 Construction, just use Ardougne Teleport, or Ardougne Teleport Tablets.

Picture38-1.png

Nothing special, all of them are gold. If there is somebody else there, switch worlds. There is just enough gold to mine a the last one as the first one respawns.

Non-Members-The best Non-Members spot is the Crafting Guild, South of Falador and North of Rimmington. You need at least level 40 Crafting to enter the guild, as well as be wearing an apron.

Picture40.png

You will be using the Falador East bank. Follow the blue path South out of Falador, than East. Enter the Crafting Guild.

Picture41.png

On the Eastern side of the Crafting Guild, there is a mine. The Southern rocks are all gold. There are 6 in total. When you are full, you can either teleport to Falador, or walk back.

For those of you who do not have at least level 40 Crafting, there is an alternative!

Picture29.png

Start in the Al Kharid bank. Follow the yellow path north to the Chasm Mine. The first two rocks on the left are gold.

Picture42.png

Mine those two rocks.[/hide]

[hide=Granite]Granite: Granite is for Members only. Really the only uses for it are for Summoning pouches, and for Power mining.

Picture43.png

Start in the Shantay Pass before you enter the desert. Buy a pass from Shantay and enter the desert. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WATERSKINS OR ENCHANTED WATER TIARA. Un equip your weapon and fly to the Bedadin Camp (Green Circle)

Picture48.png

This is one of two best spots. Mine the Granite.

One strategy of power mining this granite was given to me by M6c Magnum.

Basically, you mine 1, click to mine 2, drop 1, mine 2, and keep going back and forth. For this method, you need at least two open spaces.

My favorite way to mine is similar to the first one. Mine 1, mine 2 and right click the granite in your inventory. Once you have mined the second, drop the first and go to mine the first again. Repeat this as long as you want.

If you are using waterskins, there is a general store in the northern part of the Bandit Camp. There you can re sell your empty waterskins and buy fresh ones. You can also use the Humidify spell if you have access to Lunar Magicks.[/hide]

[hide=Mithril]Mithril:

Members-The best spot would be the Grand Tree Mine. This is under found under the Grand Tree, going down a trapdoor found in the throne room. You must have completed The Grand Tree quest in order to access this mine.

Picture49.png

The yellow line is on the second floor of the grand tree (first floor for most of Europe, I think) it leads to the bank. The green path is from the Spirit Tree. The red dot is the trapdoor leading down to the mine.

grand_tree_mine.png

You will wind up south of this map, but not by too much. Just head north and push through the roots to get into this map. To the right and left is Mithril, mine away! When you are full go back up the trapdoor, up one floor and West to the bank.

Non-Members-The best spot to mine Mithril for Non-Members is the Mining Guild. It requires at least level 60 Mining, and to be honest, you shouldnt mine Mithril until you are at least level 60, because it can get hard.

Picture14_3.png

Start out in the Falador East bank. Walk out of the bank than South to the entrance to the Mining Guild, go down the ladder. Make your way to the Northern part of the guild.

Picture16_2-1.png

The rocks circled in green are the only Mithril in this spot. Have fun mining![/hide]

[hide=Adamant]Adamant:

Members-The best spot would be the Grand Tree mine, yet again.

Picture49.png

The green line is coming from the Spirit Tree. The yellow line is one floor up from the bottom floor. That is where the bank is. The red dot is the trapdoor that is in the throne room of the Grand Tree and bottom floor. Go down the trapdoor.

grand_tree_mine.png

You will end up a little south of this map. Go north to the vines and push them to the side. Now you are on this map. To the right are 3 Adamant veins. Mine away and bank or switch worlds when needed![/hide]

[hide=Rune]Rune is now here!

Rune is the ultimate ore to mine. It is both for Members and Non-Members.

The mining location of rune isn't nearly as important as the mathematics. The maximum amount of rune rocks a mine has in all of Runescape, is 2. Also, the fastest it will possibly respawn with 2000 people in your world, is 12 minutes 30 seconds. This is a long respawn time. I am not going to tell you where to mine your rune, that is all preference. I will tell you how to make your rune mining more efficient.

With two ores maximum per mining spot, and no two mining spots relatively close, the most efficient way would be to mine that one spot for each world. At an estimate of 30 seconds to mine each rune, in 1 minute you can get 2 runite ores, or 36,000gp at the prices of 12/23/08. To switch worlds, it takes a minimum of 45 seconds because of the time it takes to transfer servers. add another minute for the time it takes to mine another two ores, and you are up to 1 minute 45 seconds without any mistakes or lag. In a decimal, 1 minute 45 seconds is 1.75. 1.75 goes into 60 (minutes in an hour) 34 times (rounded down). That means in an hour, the maximum you could mine is 68 rune ores. At todays (11/23/08) prices, of 17,900gp for each runite ore, you can get a maximum of 1,217,200gp or 1.2m per hour! Of course, this is without any time wasted, which is not possible. These figures do not include mistakes, banking trips, possible revs attacking, lag, they are just solid facts. Your results will obviously be less, but not to the point where it is not a great money maker. You can see the huge potential mining rune ore has as a money maker.[/hide]

This section of the guide is on leveling your Mining. This will start at level 1, and end at level 99. It will include methods for Members as well as Non-Members, when the best times to power mine and when the best times to bank are.

[hide=1-15]Level 1-15:

Members and Non-Members-Welcome to the wonderful world of Mining! To start, grab your Bronze Pickaxe and head to a mine.

Here you will mine Copper and Tin! The first ores you can mine. To get from level 1 to 15, it takes about 138 Copper or 138 Tin. You can mine an equal amount of each to smelt it, or choose one to mine, it doesnt make any difference as they give the same experience.[/hide]

[hide=15-70]Level 15-70:

From level 15 and on, you can mine Iron. The nice thing about Iron is that it has a quick ripsaw time, and it can be mined almost instantly with a rune pickaxe.

You can choose to either bank the Iron, or power mine the Iron. Look above to see the best spots to mine both. If you are power mining, any mine that has at least 3 rocks is best. Typically, the farther it is from a bank, the better the spot.

I know you all may think this is a lot of Iron, which it is. The reasoning behind it is that mining Iron and Granite are the fastest ways to level Mining, and Granite can not be done efficiently till at least level 70 mining.[/hide]

[hide=70-99]Level 70-99:

Well, youve made it this far! Congratulations! You can now mine Adamant! For these levels you can either continuing mining and banking your Iron ore, or you can power mine Granite you are looking for speed, Granite is definitely the way to go. If you dont want to speed through these levels and want some money out of this, than mine Iron. Look to the beginning of my guide to see where you should mine and how.[/hide]

[hide=99]Level 99: Congratulations! You are one of a few thousand who have reached 99 Mining! If you chose to mine Iron and bank it, than you are millions richer than when you started. If you chose to power mine, than you saved time and can now continue on with your normal Runescape life.[/hide]

The Mining Achievement Cape can be bought for 99k from a dwarf outside the entrance to the Mining Guild behind the Falador Eastern Bank.

[hide=Star Hunting]This is a great invention from Jagex, I think one of the best additions to Mining in a very long time. Basically, you find fallen stars all around the world in mining spots, although it can get a little more complicated.

For the best way to hunt for these treasures, use a star hunting clan chat.

My personal favorite is Hunt4Stars. When you join these chats, don't jump right to business. Say hi, introduce yourself and ask if anybody needs spotters.

The way it works is the telescopes will give you a general time, and an area of the world. so, these clans organize people to check each mine and stay there. Each day, you can turn in a total of 200 stardust for 50k, 20 gold ores, 152 cosmic runes and 52 Astral runes. It is very fun and great experience.

If you want a more detailed description, look no further than viewtopic.php?f=180&t=773941[/hide]

Thank you for reading my guide, I have spent a lot of time on this and do not with to be flamed because of what I wrote. If you do not agree with something, please tell me and I will compare and contrast our ideas. If you would like to submit a correction, please do, all help is accepted. Also, please give me some constructive criticism, dont hold back (well except the mean stuff, hold that back)!

Toby1knoby20.png

nice guide, pretty much covers it all

Thank you for the compliment.

Although I wouldn't say all :D .

I could go pages into the debate on power mining vs. banking. Than there is the idea with the Stealing Creation. Than of course what the BEST way to level is. This guide wasn't meant to be filled up with useless nonsense, but instead get to the point and give out the information.

Again, Thank you.

Toby1knoby20.png

Few hints:

For mining essence: By using an abyssal titan (with scrolls offcourse), you can easily mine 2k-3k essence per hour.

For iron/coal/mithril/adamant: if you're not interested in banking, the best place to go is the haunted mine (14 Copper, 15 Tin, 8 Iron, 18 Coal, 11 Mithril, 18 Adamant there)

Other then that: Great guide! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Might be good to add using familiars

Desert wyrm/void ravager: 1 mining boost

Obsidian golem: 7 mining boost

Lava titan: 10 mining boost

don't hate yourself noob,i am already doing it for you

How can you not find mining boring? It says that the most efficient way to train mining would be to mine iron from 15 ALL THE BLOODY WAY to 99. With no massive reward.

Sorry fella, but from looking at your signature which says 72 mining ( which corresponds to only one thirteenth of the way to 99 ) I don't think that you even know remotely how boring mining is.

Its like runecrafting in slowness, only gives you less money. Its like firemaking in attention needed, only takes way longer. Its like woodcutting in tediousness, only that you can't talk to people since you have to click on ores all the time.

Mining is an obsolete, boring skill that needs to be updated. Period.

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

you forget the best methods to mine gold, mith and addy.

gold is best mined on karamja by using the magic whistle to teleport to the kingfisher realm and then to zanaris to bank. Use the fairy rings to teleport back to the kingfisher realm after banking.

For both mith and addy the jatiszo mines are really good. Wear the yak hide shield to heavily reduce the damage from female ice trolls and mine away. 16 mith and 11 addy rocks in non-wildy should not be ignored. ;)

phata_elise.png

gold is best mined on karamja by using the magic whistle to teleport to the kingfisher realm and then to zanaris to bank. Use the fairy rings to teleport back to the kingfisher realm after banking.

Exactly what I wanted to say. This is a much more convenient method.

How can you not find mining boring? It says that the most efficient way to train mining would be to mine iron from 15 ALL THE BLOODY WAY to 99. With no massive reward.

Sorry fella, but from looking at your signature which says 72 mining ( which corresponds to only one thirteenth of the way to 99 ) I don't think that you even know remotely how boring mining is.

Its like runecrafting in slowness, only gives you less money. Its like firemaking in attention needed, only takes way longer. Its like woodcutting in tediousness, only that you can't talk to people since you have to click on ores all the time.

The reason I have 72 Mining is because I quit runescape for about 4 years, after 1 year of playing. BTW, Mining is nowhere near runecrafting in slowness, runecrafting natures can get you 15k xp/hour (not doubles) using the abyss. While power mining granite can get you about 45k/hour.

Mining is not obsolete, it does need an update, and I do not find it boring. I never said anybody else has to like it, just that I do.

For both mith and addy the jatiszo mines are really good. Wear the yak hide shield to heavily reduce the damage from female ice trolls and mine away. 16 mith and 11 addy rocks in non-wildy should not be ignored. ;)

Oooh,, I guess I did miss that mine. I'll check it out. Isn't the Kingfisher realm from the Holy Grail quest? where do I get the magic whistle again?

Toby1knoby20.png

The reason I have 72 Mining is because I quit runescape for about 4 years, after 1 year of playing. BTW, Mining is nowhere near runecrafting in slowness, runecrafting natures can get you 15k xp/hour (not doubles) using the abyss. While power mining granite can get you about 45k/hour.

Mining is not obsolete, it does need an update, and I do not find it boring. I never said anybody else has to like it, just that I do.

Oooh,, I guess I did miss that mine. I'll check it out. Isn't the Kingfisher realm from the Holy Grail quest? where do I get the magic whistle again?

from the holy grail quest

phata_elise.png

Very nice.

For power mining granite, a Enchanted Water Tiara is needed, as humidify costs will add up.

Enchanted tiara used 3 water runes every 90 seconds.

You need one humidify spell every 90 minutes.

As a critic, shouldn't you also be learned to an extent?

I can help you out on this guide if you want. I enjoy mining aswell, so PM me if you want aid.

You might want to include mining and banking iron using a Kyatt. Good for those who want exp in smithing, or money. It's good exp in mining to. There are better adamant mines aswell.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I love giving CC to new guides. ;)

This is definetely a great guide, and the best part is, there is TONS of room to improve. (This is CC)

(Below is just an example)

Level 70-99:

Well, youve made it this far! Congratulations! You can now mine Adamant! For these levels you can either continuing mining and banking your Iron ore, or you can power mine Granite you are looking for speed, Granite is definitely the way to go. If you dont want to speed through these levels and want some money out of this, than mine Iron. Look to the beginning of my guide to see where you should mine and how.

I see... So Iron if you want money, or Granite for speed. Evaluate with numbers and rates, it's the best method.

Your guide is definetely centered around training spots, for now. To make it simple, I'll put my points in bullet form.

You lack general xp and cash rates of each. Then, you should evaluate by posting the breaking point. (eg: if you make this much money per hour, go here.)

Depth in other aspects. For example, is there any special tricks when Mining? What familiar should I use? Agility? Any special quests? What about those pickaxes?

What's the biggest difference in location A and B? Is on mining location faster but lower money? Or is it lower money and lower xp but crowded? Or is it just plain sucky in all aspects?

THE BIGGEST missing point in your guide, however, is what sets one ore from another? How good is Coal to mine? (If you do some research, you'll see that it's slower than Iron in terms of xp and IIRC even cash. One of the main points of a guide is to provide clarity on a often misconception.) Is Pure Essense even WORTH mining? Is Rune still good money? I thought Adamant sucked for xp and cash. Etc, etc. I can promise you this is one of the main things people will be looking for in your guide.

I would like to remind you that this is CC (believe me, I've been bashed :XD: ). Your guide is just starting, so expect more CC from me if I have time.

Edit: Here's an example of a great guide. He goes into a huge amount of detail for each log, which is something you should try to add. viewtopic.php?f=180&t=762675

Good luck completing your guide.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

good guide. i enjoyed reading it.

the magic whistle you can get again by using the fairy rings, dial in bjr and you'll be in the fisher king's realm. then go to the castle and there should be some laying around. other codes are listed under locations forum sticky in the runescape official forums or check out the fairy code ring map and codes on tipit.

the evil chicken mine is pretty good too.

a few things, with bracelet of clay you can mine soft clay 28 per bracelet. using a slayer ring by teleporting to relekka saves running time for fairy rings.

after between a rock quest, you can mine gold in that mine and the boatman to the east will bank it for you - a certain amount. if you wear a ring of charos(e) then he'll bank more.

you might also want to mention superheating; good mage xp and useful; also summoning familiars and beast of burdens. wilderness mines.

also, for members using a skills necklace will teleport you outside the crafting guild and even the mining guild if you wanted and other places, so those are very useful. the combat bracelet teleports in front of the champion's guild and other places.

you left out f2p adamant mining just to let you know.

i like mining too, always have. and i didnt realise a few things until i read this guide, and that is saying something, so nice work on this. i like the iron section with deposit box members and silver mine under lumbridge.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

Very good except i believe i know a faster way to mining iron.

Requirements: 57 summoning.

Method: Summon a Spirit Kyatt, equip a ring of duelling and use the kyatt teleport. Run east and then slightly north to an iron mining spot like this: - -

- Stand in the middle and mine each ore in turn. Try to get on as high populated world as possible. Then, when your inventory is full, use ring of duelling to teleport back to castle wars. Can get 750 iron ore if talking in clan chat and private messaging often. Ive managed 850 in one hour, no p chat, cc and high populated world. 63 mining. Gains on average (770 ores average, no idea how i get 850)27k exp with iron, which i dont think is bad. Also rarely crowded and faster banking time.

TenseMurmur.gif

If your lucky to get 20 an hour how come people make 600k-800k average? That means 33-44 rune ores an hour. Nice logic.

"rune mining is a joke" No its not, its good money for those who got 85. But one thing that is a joke is your spelling. Minning? Mining. Minners? Miners. Ecspeaily? Especially. Delelte? Delete. motuh? Mouth. And is there any punctuation except ellipsis(sp)and one comma? No. So why dont you "keep your motuh shut,please." < In your own words. Its a very good guide.

TenseMurmur.gif