Shockingly awful grammar

Poopingman

Oh, but by far, I hate it when people use JaGEx Incorrectly. It's an innocent mistake, so I don't really get mad, but still...

Example: "JaGEx are attempting to rectify the problem."

JaGEx is a single company. therefore it should be:

"JaGEx is attempting to rectify the problem."

I was under the impression it that was an abbreviation for Java Gaming Experts. Since one could mean either the experts or the company, wouldn't both the singular and plural forms of the verb be correct?

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, but by far, I hate it when people use JaGEx Incorrectly. It's an innocent mistake, so I don't really get mad, but still...

Example: "JaGEx are attempting to rectify the problem."

JaGEx is a single company. therefore it should be:

"JaGEx is attempting to rectify the problem."

I was under the impression it that was an abbreviation for Java Gaming Experts. Since one could mean either the experts or the company, wouldn't both the singular and plural forms of the verb be correct?

You are correct, but it's still the name for the company. Java gaming experts uniformally aren't known as JaGEx.

It'd be better to call them J-Mods or programmers...

2dgucz6.png

Alrighty, I wasn't positive on my information; thanks for confirming! ::'

The difference between the two is noted though.

"L support"

You cannot abbreviate a three letter abbreviation. Anyone who uses 'L' in place of LOL earns my eternal IRE.

It's been my understanding that 'lol' means laughing out loud. Now going off of this, I would have to say that when people use 'L' they generally mean that they are laughing - although not necessarily out loud.

Then you say "haha".

Still alive, still alive.

omg u guys r all a bunch of phonies bc u r just trying to win a argument by crying about everyones splling and grammer chill out it the internet and u r to mad about a few spelling misttaks u should just forgive them its 2009 and we r in a hurry

Thank you for proving my point, you idiot. :lol:

ha, gotta love this, a group of kids with too much free time and too little to fill it with trying to tell everyone how to play their game and communicate properly. I shudder to think at the number of hours you guys waste backspacing to fix typos. yet you act that because you are able to speak in an intelectual manner on an online game forums that you're all incredibly clever and part of an 'elite.' I think its laughable and i mock you all for it.

be honest to yourselves, its an online game forums, not an essay, no one with decent lives could care less. just give up with the SPAG rants, they wont get anywhere, and theyre only made to reassure yourselves of how clever you are. congratulations.

Polnar.png

omg u guys r all a bunch of phonies bc u r just trying to win a argument by crying about everyones splling and grammer chill out it the internet and u r to mad about a few spelling misttaks u should just forgive them its 2009 and we r in a hurry

ha, gotta love this, a group of kids with too much free time and too little to fill it with trying to tell everyone how to play their game and communicate properly. I shudder to think at the number of hours you guys waste backspacing to fix typos. yet you act that because you are able to speak in an intelectual manner on an online game forums that you're all incredibly clever and part of an 'elite.' I think its laughable and i mock you all for it.

be honest to yourselves, its an online game forums, not an essay, no one with decent lives could care less. just give up with the SPAG rants, they wont get anywhere, and theyre only made to reassure yourselves of how clever you are. congratulations.

Kids? Really? Sorry, I'm a college student.

On the internet, you are sized up by how you convey yourself through text. Be it on these forums or in Runescape itself. Mocking those who hold grammar in high regard in an environment where it is the main catalyst of your intelligence proves your own ignorance towards the matter.

To further pigeonhole your statement, I implore you to come and watch me type. I assure you there is very little back-spacing going on ;) Finally, to claim this argument has gone nowhere clearly means that you spent little to no time reading the 5 pages of posts that primarily agree with my original thesis. All you have on your side is 8 year olds :lol:

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Kids? Really? Sorry, I'm a college student.

On the internet, you are sized up by how you convey yourself through text. Be it on these forums or in Runescape itself. Mocking those who hold grammar in high regard in an environment where it is the main catalyst of your intelligence proves your own ignorance towards the matter.

To further pigeonhole your statement, I implore you to come and watch me type. I assure you there is very little back-spacing going on ;) Finally, to claim this argument has gone nowhere clearly means that you spent little to no time reading the 5 pages of posts that primarily agree with my original thesis. All you have on your side is 8 year olds :lol:

In other words, Polnar, check your spelling, otherwise people like this guy will moan non-stop about it. You might try to resist at first, but eventually they will throw so many pathetic fits that you will be faced with the option of shooting yourself, or checking your spelling and grammar.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

In other words, Polnar, check your spelling, otherwise people like this guy will moan non-stop about it. You might try to resist at first, but eventually they will throw so many pathetic fits that you will be faced with the option of shooting yourself, or checking your spelling and grammar.

Or don't check your spelling and look like either an idiot or an 8 years-old, your choice.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Your opinion is meaningless to me, and most of this board. You refute simply to spark arguments, no more.

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Your opinion is meaningless to me, and most of this board. You refute simply to spark arguments, no more.

I "refute to spark arguments"? So, when everyone else posts, they don't expect anyone to argue or disagree with them? Unlike you, apparently, I don't come here to get sympathy or be reassured by yes-men. Im not changing my username just becasue you don't like my opinion on that matter.

I think just about everyone who posts tries to "Spark arguments". In fact, I think that your crowd complains when posts don't "spark arguments". Even on the help and advice forum I see complaints like "this has no discussion value" and "the herd needs to be culled" and other garbage.

I was registering my opinion that the melodrama that some people display when they see a misspelled word is insane. I have read 5 page rants about the decline of western culture that began over a misplaced comma.

I agree that being over-zealous concerning grammar can sometimes make us lose focus on the main topic of discussion, but this topic is about "shocking awful grammar". We're not talking about minimal typos and bad punctuation, but about deliberately poor text, "kid-l33t-speak" or asylum grade grammar. I may not agree with your point of view "THEDAY..." (on trade restriction and removal of the old wildy) but having someone with counter arguments keeps arguying a challenge and a personnal enjoyment.

Having someone arguying against you with proper writing techniques (which is almost anyone who graduated from high school) is less painful than having 15-18 years old writing like they got too much water in their skull.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

I was registering my opinion that the melodrama that some people display when they see a misspelled word is insane. I have read 5 page rants about the decline of western culture that began over a misplaced comma.

Complaint about melodrama coming from someone named 'TheDayRsDied'. Let's check the meter emot-irony.gif

Anyway, you don't type like a moron in a conversation "because it's laid back" for the same reason you don't talk to strangers like "Yo u gots tiem" (try pronouncing it) then justifying him questioning your gene count with "But iz layed bak convo, nub".

That being said, if someone posts a well thought out argument or point, and your only response is:

It's there perogative

their

Then it shows the person pointing out the argument has just about the same maturity level as someone who posts "OMG DEM N0BS R CRAZY" as a rant, or the people on the RSOF who continue to whine about how Runescape hasn't entertained them in over a year, yet they still pay for membership.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Anyway, you don't type like a moron in a conversation "because it's laid back" for the same reason you don't talk to strangers like "Yo u gots tiem" (try pronouncing it) then justifying him questioning your gene count with "But iz layed bak convo, nub".

That being said, if someone posts a well thought out argument or point, and your only response is:

It's there perogative

their

Then it shows the person pointing out the argument has just about the same maturity level as someone who posts "OMG DEM N0BS R CRAZY" as a rant, or the people on the RSOF who continue to whine about how Runescape hasn't entertained them in over a year, yet they still pay for membership.

Very impressive effort to drive this off topic with flaming. You came so close, it was almost good enough. :twss:

The point I am trying to make that this is casual conversation, and you have to realize that the audience is young, and accept that there may be some bad grammar and stupid 1337 speak. I think the majority of people in the game understand the basic online jargon.

People who expect college level grammar perfection are in the minority. I have never ran into a situation where I could not understand what someone else was saying. If you think a game full of young children, people who don't speak english, and lazy people like me will reach a level better than any of that, then your expectations are set too high.

[waits for the 50 page western-culture-is-declining rant.]

I have never ran into a situation where I could not understand what someone else was saying.
You do play RuneScape, right? ;)

Seriously though, your refutation is based entirely on having little kids, non-English-speaking people, and the lazy to support the aforementioned typing style. I try my hardest to present myself well; I can't understand why others won't.

I usually am not bothered by moderate levels of bad grammar and/or spelling, but when it gets to a high level, I usually stop speaking to the person. Mainly because I simply can't understand all he or she said. However, one thing that bugs me is leaving 'Caps Lock' on. Which Makes You Type Like This.

I usually am not bothered by moderate levels of bad grammar and/or spelling, but when it gets to a high level, I usually stop speaking to the person. Mainly because I simply can't understand all he or she said. However, one thing that bugs me is leaving 'Caps Lock' on. Which Makes You Type Like This.

Hello Mate I Like Leaving Caps Lock On Because It Makes My Letters Be Caps In My Chat Box Before I Send It.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

Very impressive effort to drive this off topic with flaming. You came so close, it was almost good enough. :twss:

Pointless, disregarding.

The point I am trying to make that this is casual conversation, and you have to realize that the audience is young, and accept that there may be some bad grammar and stupid 1337 speak. I think the majority of people in the game understand the basic online jargon.

And my point, if you'd bother to read it, is that you don't talk like an idiot to someone in real life because the "conversation is casual", so that's not a valid excuse in game.

People who expect college level grammar perfection are in the minority. I have never ran into a situation where I could not understand what someone else was saying. If you think a game full of young children, people who don't speak english, and lazy people like me will reach a level better than any of that, then your expectations are set too high.

College level grammar is far beyond the length of a line in Runescape. What is expected is more like the grammar of a thirteen year old. Also, it's the job of the upper class to beat the lower class into some form of sense, it's called education through consequence (If you refuse to interact or acknowledge someone who speaks like "hai guise, pc plz", they'll eventually learn not to type like an idiot).

I knew my expectations were too high the minute I set foot in f2p lumbridge with some members stuff on (was meeting a friend) and was instantly barraged with "omg ur hot". I'm expecting too much, unfortunately those expectations are slightly above the lowest possible.

[waits for the 50 page western-culture-is-declining rant.]

[waits for 50 page "omg are ess iz ded no wildy" rant, oh wait it's already there]

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

wtf is there problem the internet is srs bsnss

People are stupid, when you realize this you'll be so much happier.

Also, don't rule out keyboards, whenever I type on a certain computer, while my parents are watching a movie (lights off) not only do I have a hard time seeing the keys, but my keyboard has malfunctioned and will randomly place random letters in other letters spots. It may look like this: "hey wars]s uo?? long time nu ser" Instead of "Hey what's up?? Long time no see" Not a really big deal, but it may be happening to other people. :P

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

wtf is there problem the internet is srs bsnss

People are stupid, when you realize this you'll be so much happier.

Also, don't rule out keyboards, whenever I type on a certain computer, while my parents are watching a movie (lights off) not only do I have a hard time seeing the keys, but my keyboard has malfunctioned and will randomly place random letters in other letters spots. It may look like this: "hey wars]s uo?? long time nu ser" Instead of "Hey what's up?? Long time no see" Not a really big deal, but it may be happening to other people. :P

The malfunctioning keyboard is a bit of a stretch...at least it excludes you, though.

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Not to sound like the devil's advocate, but I type a lot on french keyboards and I sometimes have a hard time configurating the keyboard properly. For example, my "it's" will sometimes end up like that "it>s". This can be really frustrating at times.

langerkiller.png